Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 05:21:57 PM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  Buy / Sell / Trade  |  Trader Feedback  |  Beware of dethmartyr, dishonest seller (and racist to boot!) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beware of dethmartyr, dishonest seller (and racist to boot!)  (Read 4769 times)
oyoyoy
Beware of dethmartyr, dishonest seller (and racist to boot!)
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:53:57 PM »

A little backstory: dethmartyr (a.k.a. John Dunlap) lists a Northstar and Genesis in "mint" condition on sale as a combo for $60. I message him to see if there's any catch, any play or vibe issues, to which he assures me there isn't. However, when I receive the yoyos the Northstar has a half inch glob of superglue on the face, and the Genesis has a severe pulsing vibe on the first throw. None of which were mentioned even though I made sure to ask.

I open up the Genesis to investigate the axle and the axle doesn't even look standard. I've had other Genesis before and they all opened with the same ease and had a different looking axle. The axle in dethmartyr's won't even come out. It doesn't have the hex opening like YYF axles usually do.

So I PM dethmartyr to ask to return these yoyos for a refund. I see him log on but ignore my PM so I message him again. Again I see that he has logged on without responding to me, so I file a PayPal dispute. His response through PayPal was to refuse my refund request, claiming that the yoyos were fine.

Funny thing is, when I look at dethmartyr's feedback, I see that he has bought yoyos from Liz before. And I remember that Liz once publicly listed a Northstar with superglue in her B/S/T, which is where I assume dethmartyr got it, but when dethmartyr listed it in the BST he listed it as mint. It's not a small drop of superglue mind you. It almost covers the entire logo on one face.

I now elevate it to a PayPal claim, and finally since his PayPal account is in jeopardy, dethmartyr agrees to give me a refund if I return the yoyos. I agree and am packing it up as I speak. I leave dethmartyr negative feedback for falsely advertising his yoyos, and in return he leaves me a negative. I contact the admins to get his retaliatory feedback removed, which they graciously do.

Then I get this PM from dethmartyr: "ill just repost it cause you pretty much scam you play with em and all of a sudden they have vibe your not to be trusted"

To which I reply: "I have no interest in playing with yoyos that arrive broken. Youv'e never even explained the super glue on the Northstar even though that was described as such when Liz was selling them. All of a sudden they arrive in your BST and they become "mint?" My feedback record proves I'm not a scammer. Don't try to leave me more retaliatory feedback. And do not try to resell your yoyos as mint as they will be reported."

And he leaves me this little gem, complete with racial slur: "ehh tis ok chink i know how they left my house amazing condition you took it apart and messed it up all on you
but i do want them back"
Sekhmet
Trade Count: (27)
The Nation

don't drop that yo yo yo (ayeeeee!!)

Re: Beware of dethmartyr, dishonest seller (and racist to boot!)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »

I also saw that $60 deal and thought it was too good to be true. Thanks for the heads up though

I definitely do not want to end up dealing with  dishonest racist sellers!!

"Plus, yo-yos are cool and everything, but I want to get laid."

Jensen Kimmitt
16aomlor
yoyoradio.net
Trade Count: (54)
The Nation

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 09:15:27 PM »

what a donkey

SkareCrow96
Trade Count: (24)
The Nation

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 01:33:47 AM »

Wow, that kid needs to leave the Nation. End of story

If I can help in any way be sure to hit me up.
Righteous
Sam T.
Trade Count: (44)
The Nation

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 01:39:33 AM »

That's ridiculous. He really needs to get kicked out of here.

Tetrahedron
CLYW Project Affiliate
Trade Count: (83)
The Nation

FG Chiefs, bro.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 02:09:52 AM »

Yeah, he's a racist assh*le.
I asked if he could ship first and he denied then retaliated about how Canadians are stupid, etc.

DaProphet
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 02:53:36 AM »

racism is not cool he needs to be kicked out
jrodriguez
Trade Count: (234)
The Nation

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 08:36:26 AM »

dethmartyr was issued a ban when this came to the attention of the moderation team. Racism and racial slurs have no place at YYN and will not be tolerated.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:37:11 AM by jrodriguez » Logged

Finger Lakes Yoyo Club in Ithaca, NY - PM me for details.
At least 15% of what I say is true.
NathanC
Trade Count: (43)
The Nation

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 11:48:18 AM »

Here's my experience with Dethmartyr trading my Sasquatch + $50 for his Hatrick and Essence. I'll just go ahead and post the PMs we had. My first one or two i sent him weren't saved, but they were basically just asking about the original deal. Everything else is exactly in the words and i can post the screenshots to prove it should i need to.

Long post, apologies, but want to get it all out there. I bolded certain parts.

Here's his original post that started it: http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php/topic,98936.msg1052213.html Note the key words "near mint" in the title.

Me: "So Sasquatch+$50 for Essence and Hatrick? I'd be willing to ship first, provided you let me pay the $50 after receiving the 2 throws, or else i'd lose both money and the CLYW should something go wrong. I'd be willing to PayPal as a gift so there wouldn't be any fees since i wouldn't need any recourse at that point. Here's a few pictures i just took of the Sas:
http://xs.to/media/49801
http://i55.tinypic.com/mb5qno.jpg

Any chance i could get some better pics of the General Yos? Are they both smooth on the throw? Rims in good condition?
"

Him: "both play amazing essence=my main both are stock no rim damage

and if you need more proof of me
http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=14203

and if ya wouldnt mind id prefer to get the 50 as well i ship as soon as i receive yours
im well known on yye:D

and pics atm i cant i have no camera"

Me: "Awesome. Off to ship your yoyo now. Will send you the tracking # when i get back from the gym and PayPal the money this afternoon."

Me: "Sasquatch has been shipped. I shipped it USPS first class from a UPS store so they couldn't give me a tracking number, but hopefully you should get it in the next day or two. Also i Paypal'd you the money, so i think we're all set. Just ship the two General Yos to me when you receive the Sas."

Him" "kk thank you since your in va i should actually get it tommarow:d maybe
and you beat a guy that wanted the gen yos btw his offer was a skyline and 90 bucks"

Me: "Hey you get the Sasquatch yet? Thanks."

Him: "sure did yours is shipped just forgot the tracking number in the car and i must say the sas is beautiful"

Me: "Excellent! Can't wait. Thanks."

Me: "You said these were "near mint" with "no rim damage". However both have extensive damage and are far from mint...? I'm afraid i'm going to have to ask for the $50 back or a tradeback, your choice. There's no way these two throws were worth a mint sasquatch + $50 imo, had i known the condition they were in i never would have done the deal. Not trying to be a ****, but i think i'm being fair."

Him: "both are near mint the essence has a few pin pricks  and the hat trick has a few scratches

the essence had a deal for 110 and a skyline so its in amazing condition"

Him:" i could give you 50 back when i get paid but i dont do trade backs"

Me: "I'm just saying that what most people interpret as near mint, including myself, is nowhere near what these are. The pinpricks(all 10 of them) are all in one location and have been sanded smooth discoloring the finish, in my opinion that is far from a single simple pinprick which is what most people think of a pinprick being. I guarantee that if someone had known the condition of the Essence, as well as the fact that it's a B-grade(which you failed to mention), they never would have paid even $60, let alone $110 for it. I'd be lucky to get $100 for both of these on the B/S/T, and yet the mint Sasquatch + $50 was worth $165 total. Just feeling like i got a terrible deal. I'd feel a lot better about everything if i got the $50 back. When do you get paid? I'd also be willing to trade Essence for Sasquatch and i'd keep the Hatrick and you'd keep the $50."

Him: "get paid in a week and i sold the sas already"

Me: "Alright. So what date should i expect the $50 by? How about by next Friday the 22nd? That should give you plenty of time. Make sure to send it as a gift in PayPal."

-8 days pass-

Me: "Hey, just making sure you're still planning on sending me that $50 today. Thanks."

Me: "So should i assume i won't be seeing the money? I see you've logged on multiple times today and not responded to my message or sent me anything. I really don't feel like having to leave negative feedback and going through all that hassle. Would love to get the $50 or work something out. I'd be willing to accept another throw instead, or even buy something from you at a reduced price."

Him: "only thing i have atm i am selling is a mint blue with gray spash genesis

and that was my brother yesterday on"

Me: "Send me the Genesis and we'll call it even? Or you can just send me the $50 like you said you would a week ago."

Him: "or maybe next time youll take time out to look at pics:D
ill send you the gensis when i get time and btw you sas wasnt mint as you said but i dont complain about it the axle comes out not normal"

Me: "You didn't send me pictures when i asked for them and the only picture you posted was tiny and impossible to see details. And no idea what you mean the axle comes out. You mean unscrews? Like it's supposed to?"

Him: "yup you asked for pics i said wait till i got home from work you woulndt wait this all seems like your bad not mine"

Me: "You can't be serious. I asked for pictures, you said you didn't have a camera, at no point did you say you could take pictures later on that day. That doesn't even matter though, the fact of the matter is that you said they were "near mint" with "no rim damage". I shouldn't need to ask for pictures to verify someone isn't lying to me. I have around 6 transactions in progress right now on the board and every one of them is perfect except for ours. I think i've been more than fair, given you more than enough time, and offered you numerous ways to resolve the issue. I'm done with this back and forth. If you send me the Genesis first thing next week we'll call it even, simple as that."

Him: "your very childish teen?
there is no back and fourth ill send you the genesis when i get time(its called a job)
the throws was near mint far from beaters
i said i cant get pics atm there pal"

And that's all we had on YYN before he was banned. A few email back and forths since, after giving him a week to ship the Genesis, but it's become obvious he has no plan to ever send me the Genesis(the same one he sold to oyoyoy, which is hilarious since he sold it to him while i was waiting or him to send it to me). And also my Sasquatch he told me he sold and couldn't trade back? Yeah he posted it for sale on another yoyo forum on July 25th and it's still for sale there.

Here are pictures i took of the "near mint" throws with "no rim damage" minutes after i got them:

Kinda hard to tell but the Hatricks gashes are through the ano and also there's more on the other side. The Essence looks like it took a massive fall onto asphalt and was sanded smooth, can still easily feel the marks.

Since i paypal'd as a gift i have no recourse there, and only a PO box for him, found where he works, but not much i can do with that. I take full responsibility and should have been smarter, but i had such great experiences with everyone else here i let my guard down. If i can prevent even one person from doing business with him i'll be happy and consider it a lesson learned. Long story short if you see anyone asking you to send throws to a PO box in Hernshaw, West Virginia, or someone asking you to send PayPal money to desperado12342001@yahoo.com or dethmartyr00@gmail.com, run the other way.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:53:02 AM by NathanC » Logged
NKessler
Trade Count: (13)
The Nation

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 12:05:32 PM »

Good God...  I feel terrible for you.  Everyone's seen it before, but that kid seriously took advantage of the tiny amount of trust you had in him.  I can't believe he was willing to A) lie to your face, B) refuse to admit he lied about the condition of the yoyos, and C) refused to do a trade-back OR give you your $50 back.  That truly is ridiculous.  At least he'll never be welcomed into any yoyoing community again.

That whole situation wasn't your fault at all.  You can't prevent people from lying to you.  All you can do is ask for pictures, ask them to ship first, and hope they do.  You did all of those and still got screwed.  That's the unfortunate reality we're all living in and kids like dethmartyr are just eating it up.  It almost makes me want to vomit.  What's so hard about being honest?

yoyospirit
Trade Count: (6)
The Nation

Modder

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 12:37:46 PM »

I wish these kinds of things are sue able

wolfman
Vengful Vegan
Trade Count: (11)
The Nation

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »

I almost dealt with this guy a little while back, I'm glad it fell apart.

A) lie to your face, B) refuse to admit he lied

This is brutal; it is as though he didn't know that there was a paper trail.  It's not every day that someone is willing, not only to lie, but to stick to with their obvious lie like this.  Throw some racism in to top things off and it looks like this guy might be one of the biggest jerks I have heard of in a long time.
Celestial Wind
Trade Count: (7)
The Nation

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 02:45:08 PM »

This is why I don't do trades with people with poor English/grammar/punctuation. Their more likely to be childish and do things like dethmartyr. Sorry for your loss Cry
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 02:45:48 PM by Celestial Wind » Logged

Talent does what it can; genius does what it must
oyoyoy
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »

NathanC, thanks for sharing your story. The has been a repeating pattern with dethmartyr. When I opened a claim in PayPal about the yoyos being in not mint condition, he wrote that all damaged was caused after the buyer (me) received it, a boldfaced lie.

Nathan, I wish I had known that he had promised you the Genesis before he sold it to me. I would have sent it directly to you to make up for your bad trade rather than send it back to dethmartyr.
oyoyoy
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »

By the way, here are pictures I took of the faulty Genesis and Northstar before I sent it back to dethmartyr. I urge other potential buyers to raise a red flag if they see any of the yoyos featured in this thread, because I predict dethmartyr will try to pass them off as mint again to another unsuspecting buyer. And dethmartyr has been known to be on YYE as well. Bafflingly, I have received a PM from another user asking if I still had these yoyos because they wanted to buy them.  idiot2 I don't know why anyone would want to deal with an abusive scammer.

Genesis with faulty axle:

Northstar with superglue:
16aomlor
yoyoradio.net
Trade Count: (54)
The Nation

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »

ya dat norfshtar looksh preety mint!

lol I had to
Vivo
Trade Count: (5)
The Nation

Avaaaaaaa

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 10:55:16 PM »

Just to let you guys know, those were originally MY yoyos.

i really miss them actually...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:56:09 PM by Vivo » Logged

Team YYS
Righteous
Sam T.
Trade Count: (44)
The Nation

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 07:02:21 PM »

How'd the super glue end up on that Northstar?
Liz
C'est la vie. ♔
Trade Count: (127)
The Nation

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 07:25:02 PM »

They were not. hahaha I got the Genesis from Jensen Hartford, and I got the NS from my friend Sky. Sold them to dethmartyr.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 07:25:23 PM by Liz » Logged

Vivo
Trade Count: (5)
The Nation

Avaaaaaaa

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 10:07:06 AM »

I was talking about the Gen-Yos. Essence and Hatrick.  Afro
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: