Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 01:30:33 AM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  YoYoNation  |  New to Yo-Yos and YoYoNation!  |  An Adult Returning to YoYos - A Journey Log, and a Comedy of Errors [VIDEO] « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: An Adult Returning to YoYos - A Journey Log, and a Comedy of Errors [VIDEO]  (Read 11123 times)
NKessler
Trade Count: (13)
The Nation

Re: An Adult Returning to YoYos - A Journey Log, and a Comedy of Errors [VIDEO]
« Reply #260 on: August 12, 2011, 02:31:19 AM »

Thanks guys Cheesy

And yeah, I feel like I do better and learn more now when I just pick up my yoyo to play, not specifically setting out to learn something. More comfortable and not scared of messing up I suppose.

EXACTLY!!!  That is an unnoticed revelation if I've ever seen one.  Just throw your your yoyo.  There doesn't have to be anything more and there isn't anything less.  If you get up, throw, and smile, you'll get exactly what you want out of it.  Every single time you throw your yoyo you'll get a little bit better.  If you see a trick you'd like to learn, just try it out a few times, but don't obsess over it.  Just throw keep throwing your yoyo and you'll get it eventually.

I think getting a new yoyo will be a great thing to do.  I've got to recommend the Gnarwal.  My girlfriend has one and I really enjoy throwing it.  I like the Sasquatch much more, but that's only because I prefer heavy, slightly slow yoyos.  I think picking up a Gnarwhal from the B/S/T will introduce you to a new aspect of the community and boost your confidence a bit.  Having a high-end metal yoyo is a great feeling.  You won't be able to put it down!

I've been throwing for a year or so

ThirdFloorNorth
Trade Count: (1)
The Nation

« Reply #261 on: August 12, 2011, 04:35:40 AM »

Thanks guys :D

And yeah, I feel like I do better and learn more now when I just pick up my yoyo to play, not specifically setting out to learn something. More comfortable and not scared of messing up I suppose.

EXACTLY!!!  That is an unnoticed revelation if I've ever seen one.  Just throw your your yoyo.  There doesn't have to be anything more and there isn't anything less.  If you get up, throw, and smile, you'll get exactly what you want out of it.  Every single time you throw your yoyo you'll get a little bit better.  If you see a trick you'd like to learn, just try it out a few times, but don't obsess over it.  Just throw keep throwing your yoyo and you'll get it eventually.

I think getting a new yoyo will be a great thing to do.  I've got to recommend the Gnarwal.  My girlfriend has one and I really enjoy throwing it.  I like the Sasquatch much more, but that's only because I prefer heavy, slightly slow yoyos.  I think picking up a Gnarwhal from the B/S/T will introduce you to a new aspect of the community and boost your confidence a bit.  Having a high-end metal yoyo is a great feeling.  You won't be able to put it down!

I've been throwing for a year or so

I may need to add that to my Lessons Learned section on the first post lol :D

Boyen
The Nation

« Reply #262 on: August 14, 2011, 12:28:38 PM »

Hey man hows it going? Are you practicing? You got no excuse to not practice and you know it  coolsmiley I got 1 square meter to practice on (50 cm by 2m) and that's all you need! Just don't do crazy loops...

I just wanted to share some stuff with you.

I don't know if the split bottom mounts are becoming any better but it's easier when your yoyo is straight, and by that I don't mean no tilt as you can easily correct a tilted yoyo, I mean orientation. Make sure that you stand staight behind it and then loop into the string. Once you got the mount down, Split the Atom, Atomic Bomb and Mach 5 are all within arms reach.

I started having trouble with string tension which really took the speed out of my game I learned: here which looks cool and is really easy to do. It took me just  adozen of tries to get right.

I also got a "high end" yoyo, a Duncan Mayhem. It's awesome and I got it in the BST for 40 which is a steal IMO. The BST is very likely the best place to go if you don't mind having a slightly beat yoyo, especially in this stage where we're finding out what we like I don't see the point in getting mint yoyos.

I also got the Double or Nothing down, but it needs practice, my horizontal play hasn't been getting a lot of attention..

Keep rocking!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:50:13 AM by Boyen » Logged

ThirdFloorNorth
The Nation

« Reply #263 on: August 18, 2011, 01:33:49 AM »

Pretty much solid landing my split-bottom mounts more than half the time. Time to work on Split the Atom and Ripcord :D

Also, I have a green CLYW Campfire on the way! Only a few scuffs and got it at a STEAL of a price.

Not the CLYW I wanted, but at the price, I simply could not pass it up. Still hoping to find a deal on a Gnarwhal, Avalanche, or later-run Peak though.
YOAaron
Speed Cuber
Trade Count: (45)
The Nation

« Reply #264 on: September 04, 2011, 11:47:57 PM »

update?

SkareCrow96
Trade Count: (24)
The Nation

« Reply #265 on: September 05, 2011, 12:54:55 AM »

Yeah Tobias where you at!!!!

If I can help in any way be sure to hit me up.
ThirdFloorNorth
The Nation

« Reply #266 on: September 05, 2011, 02:44:12 AM »

Sorry guys, been caught up in college Cheesy

I have good news!

I can now perform a split-bottom mount at will, and can do Split the Atom on command!

I am also working on Ripcord, Atomic Bomb, and Drop in the Bucket (to much less success).
kretzschmar
Trade Count: (53)
The Nation

« Reply #267 on: September 05, 2011, 08:17:54 AM »

Nice!!!!    Great work.   Pick up a cheapo fixed axle sometime and try doing split the atom on it.   It took me a while to be able to do it, but it is a nice skill in case a kid shows you a Duncan butterfly and says do a trick.
MattB
Homebrew Affiliate.
Trade Count: (3)
The Nation

« Reply #268 on: September 05, 2011, 09:26:40 AM »

Many of us have other priorities and mix in yoyo when we can.  It's great to hear that things are going well for you.  Hope you ace your course work and eventually get the CLYW you want.

(clickable)
reezyrice
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

« Reply #269 on: September 20, 2011, 06:55:13 PM »

OH, I'm not sure whether this has been already mentioned or not in this thread, but rethinkyoyo has some great video supplements!

Food, cars, and yoyos
YOAaron
Speed Cuber
Trade Count: (45)
The Nation

« Reply #270 on: October 22, 2011, 08:54:19 PM »

whats going on with this?
SkareCrow96
Trade Count: (24)
The Nation

« Reply #271 on: October 22, 2011, 09:49:16 PM »

Badass
Team anonYOmous
Trade Count: (5)
The Nation

« Reply #272 on: November 22, 2011, 01:08:45 AM »

What's this guy up to now?

hiltonking
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

« Reply #273 on: November 22, 2011, 08:42:35 PM »

I knew this was gonna happen!

Anyway this was some compelling reading.  Nice to see folks helping a beginner.   Hope the guys is still throwing and doing well.
dyepb_16
The Nation

« Reply #274 on: December 08, 2011, 03:19:26 AM »

Awesome thread idea, I'm just starting ti get back into yo yo'ing also so it gives me an idea of things to expect as i buy a yo yo and start throwing again. This was a really good read thanks for posting it!!
Badass
Team anonYOmous
Trade Count: (5)
The Nation

« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2011, 06:44:09 AM »

I remember when I did a blog just long enough for people to give me free stuff, then logged out for 3 months.

ThirdFloorNorth
The Nation

« Reply #276 on: January 04, 2012, 02:57:17 AM »

Sorry, I got caught up with life. School. Work. Relationship. Getting ready to graduate from college. You know. Other stuff.

So no need to be rude.

Getting back into it soon I hope. Still have an itch for a Gnarwhal. Still throwing my Campfire. Progress has slowed however. I'll start posting majorly again when there's anything pertinent to post, other than "picked up my Campfire for 5 minutes today."

And a big thank you to not only the people who befriended me here and sent me free goodies that have made things not only easy but more fun, but the people who are still interested in my progress. <3
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:59:36 AM by ThirdFloorNorth » Logged
kretzschmar
Trade Count: (53)
The Nation

« Reply #277 on: January 04, 2012, 10:49:53 PM »

Just took a break myself but picked it back up about 3 days ago.    Glad to see you back.
MattB
Homebrew Affiliate.
Trade Count: (3)
The Nation

« Reply #278 on: January 05, 2012, 01:32:32 AM »

Welcome back man!
ThirdFloorNorth
The Nation

« Reply #279 on: January 05, 2012, 07:55:30 PM »

Thanks good to be back Cheesy

Trying to hit up this guy in BST for a slightly scratched Mint Chocolate Chip Gnarwhal he's been trying to sell for a few months, but he hasn't gotten back to either of my PMs. Guess he's in no rush to sell.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: