Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 03:19:05 PM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  YoYoNation  |  New to Yo-Yos and YoYoNation!  |  An Adult Returning to YoYos - A Journey Log, and a Comedy of Errors [VIDEO] « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: An Adult Returning to YoYos - A Journey Log, and a Comedy of Errors [VIDEO]  (Read 11126 times)
NKessler
Trade Count: (13)
The Nation

Re: An Adult Returning to YoYos - A Journey Log, and a Comedy of Errors
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 06:00:24 PM »

Hey there!

You sound like you're making wonderful progress!  Only one day of throwing usually yields absolutely nothing, but your case doesn't seem to match up to that rule.  It seems as if you're looking in all the right places for advice and clearly know how to type properly.  Those two attributes already make you a very useful and much appreciated forum member.  I'm looking forward to reading your continuing progress!

If you EVER have any questions, please ask them.  Everyone wants nothing more than to help anyone they can.  Once you lean a few more "groundwork" tricks, you'll probably be asking, "What to learn next?"

Once that happens, make a topic in the "Tricks Showcase" section.  You'll wind up with a HUGE list of fun, new things to work on.

Definitely enjoy!

- Nick Kessler

ThirdFloorNorth
Trade Count: (1)
The Nation

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »

Hey there!

You sound like you're making wonderful progress!  Only one day of throwing usually yields absolutely nothing, but your case doesn't seem to match up to that rule.  It seems as if you're looking in all the right places for advice and clearly know how to type properly.  Those two attributes already make you a very useful and much appreciated forum member.  I'm looking forward to reading your continuing progress!

If you EVER have any questions, please ask them.  Everyone wants nothing more than to help anyone they can.  Once you lean a few more "groundwork" tricks, you'll probably be asking, "What to learn next?"

Once that happens, make a topic in the "Tricks Showcase" section.  You'll wind up with a HUGE list of fun, new things to work on.

Definitely enjoy!

- Nick Kessler

Thank you, and thank you Cheesy

Already got a rope burn and a blister. But I'm managing to land the occasional Trapeze so far!

NKessler
The Nation

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 09:07:13 PM »

Hey there!

Definitely enjoy!

- Nick Kessler

Thank you, and thank you Cheesy

Already got a rope burn and a blister. But I'm managing to land the occasional Trapeze so far!

That is wonderful!  It took me at least a week to get the Trapeze down.

As for the blisters and string burn...

Try putting on a Band-Aid with some Neosporin before you go to bed.  In the morning (or whenever you decide to throw again), put on a fresh Band-Aid, but without the Neosporin.  Once your wounds have healed, yoyo without any bandages on your finger at all until you're back to the point that your finger is in a lot of pain.  Repeat until you don't experience any pain form throwing your yoyo.

I used the "grit your teeth and bear it" method, but I wish I hadn't.  I spent two weeks with bloody strings tied around my finger and I didn't get anywhere faster than anyone else.

Good luck and have fun!
ThirdFloorNorth
The Nation

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 10:31:26 PM »

Update for the end of Day 1 posted on the first post!

Short version: I am landing the occasional trapeze, though not very well. Binds aren't working for me, but I think I'm not sleeping it strong enough.
ilikeyoyos
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 10:51:52 PM »

As far as binds go, lookup fake binds-they should be much easier and will help you learn the real thing eventually.

And for string tension, I would not worry about it too much until you get strong sleepers so you can actually learn the techniques to adjust it. Just take it off your finger and let it untwist for now.
GunstarHero
Chuck Cescon
Trade Count: (39)
The Nation

Throw it away

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 07:23:21 AM »

Also don't get too far ahead man. It's easy to want to attempt to do a lot of advanced stuff when you first start out but that may just frustrate you. Work on the basics. In fact may I ask what resources you are using to learn besides these forums?

Trapeze took me quite a while to learn. I thought it was the hardest trick in the world. I think it was just under 2 weeks before I actually landed my first one. Giving me ample time to learn how to throw properly and powerfully. Actually I landed Double or Nothing before I landed Trapeze...Go figure.

ThirdFloorNorth
The Nation

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »

Also don't get too far ahead man. It's easy to want to attempt to do a lot of advanced stuff when you first start out but that may just frustrate you. Work on the basics. In fact may I ask what resources you are using to learn besides these forums?

Trapeze took me quite a while to learn. I thought it was the hardest trick in the world. I think it was just under 2 weeks before I actually landed my first one. Giving me ample time to learn how to throw properly and powerfully. Actually I landed Double or Nothing before I landed Trapeze...Go figure.

Watching the playlists on YoYoNation's Youtube Channel (Http://www.youtube.com/yoyonation) and the ExpertVillage YoYo tutorials (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7159E449273A3BAF).

Cheesy
JoeBadass
Stephen Fuentes
Trade Count: (25)
The Nation

OD CODE1 ALL DAY EVERYDAY.

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 09:45:30 AM »

Watching the playlists on YoYoNation's Youtube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/yoyonation) and the ExpertVillage YoYo tutorials (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7159E449273A3BAF).

Cheesy
Yeah, Expert village is legit stuff! It got me a strong basis, and eventually I started learning from freestyles and making my own tricks. Keep at it!

ThirdFloorNorth
The Nation

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 10:10:12 AM »

Watching the playlists on YoYoNation's Youtube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/yoyonation) and the ExpertVillage YoYo tutorials (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7159E449273A3BAF).

Cheesy
Yeah, Expert village is legit stuff! It got me a strong basis, and eventually I started learning from freestyles and making my own tricks. Keep at it!

Everyone is being so supportive Cheesy Yeah, I hope I can get at least decent.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:31:42 AM by ThirdFloorNorth » Logged
ThirdFloorNorth
The Nation

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 10:31:47 AM »

Day Two post has started, it's on the first post!

Also, I've posted my wishlist. I'll be working on it over my next 2-3 paychecks, but if anyone wants to help out, I wouldn't cry... smitten
Excaliborg
Trade Count: (5)
The Nation

1A->5A Everyday

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »

I don't know if you plan to stick with this but it looks like you will. If you are going to be practicing a lot you will probably get some knots in your string that might really get in the way of propper practice and make throwing less enjoyable. I recommend that you grab a 100 pack of string as that will last you for at least a year  and if you decide to stop at some point for any reason but decide to pick it back up the strings will still be there so you will always be ready to go. I prefer highlights but string preference is something that you decide so if you like slick 6 then go for it. I bought a Dark Magic as my first nice yoyo and it was a wonderful experience so I am sure you will enjoy it when you are ready to use it.

Oh one other really important thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned is that the Kickside has an adjustable gap so if it is catching on string and returning unexpectedly you can loosen it a little at a time until it comes back to the hand easily but only when you want it to.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:41:14 AM by Excaliborg » Logged

rizki_yoist
"floaty" is undefined and it should be avoided
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

-Rizki Hadiaturrasyid-

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2011, 12:28:43 PM »

i don't know why, but i think this thread should be bookmarked
i just love seeing people getting better and better  Happy tears

having problem designing or drawing a yoyo CAD? hit me up!
GunstarHero
Chuck Cescon
The Nation

Throw it away

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2011, 01:04:51 PM »

i just love seeing people getting better and better  Happy tears

I agree. This is an awesome thread from an interesting guy and his venture into modern yoyo play.
JoeBadass
Stephen Fuentes
Trade Count: (25)
The Nation

OD CODE1 ALL DAY EVERYDAY.

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2011, 01:19:41 PM »

Cheesy

Everyone is being so supportive Cheesy Yeah, I hope I can get at least decent.
I feel that everyone is supportive because we all had to go through the beginning phase at one point. It's one of the reasons I <3 the yoyo community  Grin
NKessler
The Nation

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 01:20:22 PM »

Hey there!

I've got a suggestion for you.  Before you buy anything else, get a huge amount of string.  Having an ample supply of string is almost as important as having a functional bearing.  Make sure to change your string at least once a day.  Having a string snap on you will bring up some of the worst yoyo-related feelings you'll ever have.  My recommendation is to avoid those feelings as long as you possibly can.

http://yoyowiki.org/wiki/Cleaning_a_Bearing
^^^
That is a very important resource for anyone looking to get into yoyoing as a hobby.  Your bearings will eventually stop spinning freely.  Through one process or another, they all wind up getting some sort of dirt, dust, or general "gunk" in them.  Those foreign objects will impede your bearing's ability to spin freely, thus making your bearing loud, responsive, and annoying.

Getting rid of that dirt, dust, or "gunk" is a very easy thing to do, but not something that many people will figure out on their own.  Go ahead and read through that tutorial a few times whenever your bearing does start to go South.  Cleaning it is a very, very easy process, but will require a little bit of practice.  Just about everyone has a different method for cleaning their bearings, so you can experiment a bit once you get the "standard" method down.

Good luck, have fun, and keep on throwing!
ThirdFloorNorth
The Nation

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 06:11:46 PM »

i just love seeing people getting better and better  ::happycry::

I agree. This is an awesome thread from an interesting guy and his venture into modern yoyo play.

Thank you guys, so much. Makes my heart swell :D

On another note, for seem reason, my yoyo doesn't seem to be acting as... boss as it was the first day.

It doesn't seem to sleep for as long or as hard, and when I manage to land the occasional trapeze, the yoyo stops sleeping almost immediately?
ThirdFloorNorth
The Nation

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 07:47:16 PM »

Man I am SUCKING IT UP today.

My throws feel off, my sleepers don't feel as solid as they did yesterday.

And I think the string is already a little worn out D:
GunstarHero
Chuck Cescon
The Nation

Throw it away

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »

You'll experience quite the McBride Rollercoaster for a little while. (See what I did there?) At least some people do. You'd be surprised how fatigue mental or physical will impact your capabilities. Just like all sports I guess.

This morning I was annihilating tricks new and old. Just an hour ago I couldn't hit a cicada with a flyswatter....Yeah they're back.
Oh yeah. Your bearing might need a good cleaning or replacement. Based on your issues you posted.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:46:43 PM by GunstarHero » Logged
ThirdFloorNorth
The Nation

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 09:15:13 PM »

You'll experience quite the McBride Rollercoaster for a little while. (See what I did there?) At least some people do. You'd be surprised how fatigue mental or physical will impact your capabilities. Just like all sports I guess.

This morning I was annihilating tricks new and old. Just an hour ago I couldn't hit a cicada with a flyswatter....Yeah they're back.
Oh yeah. Your bearing might need a good cleaning or replacement. Based on your issues you posted.

I hope to god my bearing doesn't need to be replaced, it's literally two days old! D:

I've read a little bit about how to clean it, I will try to do that as soon as I can get ahold of mineral spirits. My girl is an artist, she has like two bottles lying around at any given time.

Sadly, I don't have any lube, so it'll just have to run dry til I can get some.

I can't believe it already needs cleaning, I've only been throwing on it a day... How often do we have to clean them?

My next purchase, as soon as i get the cash, will be anywhere from a 5-pack to a 100-pack of slick6 or polyester string, YYJ silicone response system, YYJ SPEED bearing, and some thin lube. I just don't even BEGIN to have that cash at the moment :(
YOAaron
Speed Cuber
Trade Count: (45)
The Nation

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2011, 09:23:20 PM »

/\ i dont lube and my bearings are fine

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: