Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 03:31:03 AM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  For the Show-Offs: YoYo Showcase  |  Museum Of Yo-Yo History.  |  The Complete History of the CLYW Peak « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Complete History of the CLYW Peak  (Read 35887 times)
BosK
Stay on target..
Trade Count: (21)
The Nation

Re: The Complete History of the CLYW Peak
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 10:52:08 PM »

Any viewies on "a" grade peaks being vibier thatn "fools gold" peaks?

Ben
Peak Historian and Curator
Trade Count: (50)
The Nation

Less Posting. More Throwing.

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 10:57:45 PM »

I can't weigh in on this topic as I don't own (nor have I ever thrown) a "Fool's Gold". 

I can say that I never found the "Peak vibe" to be an issue to being with.  Don't really want to open that can of worms, just saying I never threw a Peak and thought, "good lord... this SUCKS..."

- Ben

St. Jimmy
The Road to Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions
Trade Count: (95)
The Nation

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 11:16:03 PM »

great read Ben, its really awesome that you put all of this together.

I was lucky to get a 3rd gen peak, purple on purple.
one of the best playing and most comfortable yoyos I own, for sure.

caribouchris
CLYW
Manufacturer
Trade Count: (25)
The Nation

Canuck Twirler

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 11:25:18 PM »

What a ride going back in time ... this is an amazing history.  It's crazy how you've come up with so many details I've either totally blanked on and/or have forgotten.  Thank you so much Ben!!

Still going through it ... some minor corrections, but ya it's mostly all there!!

You're amazing!!

Chris
CLYW

CLYW Canuck Twirler Blog:            Follow CLYW on Facebook:
http://www.cariboublog.com          http://www.facebook.com/clywcanada
caribouchris
CLYW
Manufacturer
The Nation

Canuck Twirler

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 11:29:35 PM »

Also one of the most important details that was not mentioned ... was that Boyd was one of the only testers who gave us the feedback necessary to fix the prototype run.  Without his help in those early years there would never have been a CLYW.  He plugged CLYW at all the contests, won a bunch with his prototype and pink/green production run.  He did all the leg work.  Hence why we did the Bear vs Man so quickly.

trevlor
Trade Count: (206)
The Nation

CLYW is warm bear hugs

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 11:33:19 PM »

i love you ben!

SO SO SO awesome!!!

oh man! good stuff

chris i love you too for making all this possible =)

CLYW IS WIN!

caribouchris
CLYW
Manufacturer
The Nation

Canuck Twirler

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 11:34:09 PM »

Was probably more of an oops and standards becoming tighter as we went along with production.
Dizzo
I am a kwyjibo
Trade Count: (196)
The Nation

c22 ftw !!!!!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 11:36:27 PM »

well done sir Afro

jrodriguez
Trade Count: (234)
The Nation

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 12:59:19 AM »

Epic. Thanks so much for putting this together!

Finger Lakes Yoyo Club in Ithaca, NY - PM me for details.
At least 15% of what I say is true.
jeff s
Trade Count: (4)
The Nation

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 09:59:43 AM »

"These 5 or 6 “all orange / gray splash” are from this early test colourway run, so some lucky kids from YYN got to buy this rare test color Peak without even knowing it."

You'll be happy to know that at least four of these all orange/ grey splash were purchased from employees/ friends of YYN before they were released online. I own one of them Afro.
Interesting note, the one belonging to Ryan Finley (Pat Cuartero's cousin) was borrowed and used by Sebastian Brock, himself, to win Mid Atlantic Regionals 2010. Sebby signed it after he won and gave it back to Ryan when he returned to NYC. I'll ask Ryan for a picture of it when he gets a chance.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYY0h4B0pLo[/youtube]

Thanks for the wonderful write up Smiley

[edit] Thank you to YYF for posting Sebastian's Freestyle from MAR 2010.  Afro
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:02:38 AM by jeff s » Logged
mrneumann5000
Trade Count: (28)
The Nation

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 11:49:06 AM »

Thats awesome Ben! You really put some hard work into that. Im not sure if someone already dropped this link, but here are a ton of levi peak pictures. http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php/topic,41164.0.html

I'm pretty impressed by anyone who can look at a drawing and decide how well the yoyo will play.
Ben
The Nation

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 12:48:48 PM »

May I ask what happened to the peak 0000? The bearing seat looks chopped up, but how would Chris be able to test the peak if he couldn't get a bearing in it?

The bearing seat itself is not chopped up.  Chris took a Dremel to the response groove, drilling it out wider all the way around.  This was done carefully enough to not break into the bearing seat itself.  I should have posted a better picture as good photos of 0000's guts have never made it around.  I have an entire Picasa Web album of Proto 0000.  picasaweb.google.com/benjustinbaker/ProtoPeak1 I will add more pics to the history tonight.  Currently I'm at work and their web filter blocks Picasa Web and Photobucket in a sad attempt to keep us from goofing off, so adding more pics to the history will have to wait until I'm home.  I'm going to add pictures of all the Levi "eBay" Peaks and much more.

- Ben
Ben
The Nation

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 01:28:42 PM »

The amount of "love" that I received overnight is proof positive that 20+ hours of information gathering and writing I did putting this history together was worth it.  Thank you to everyone in the community.

Having all this information out there "jogged" the memories of so many, Chris in particular.  I received a steady stream of corrections, additional info, and "I just remembered" emails from Chris all night  Grin

"alexx" coming out as the owner of the "Other Boyd" Peak is a missing link I've been searching for for almost a year.  I'm dubbing that Peak in the "Alex" Peak in the edits I'm about to make.

There is another green/blue acid wash Pioneer test ano Peak (my hunch that Chris ordered up pairs of each colourway was right).  Chris gave it to his old boss in Houston and it remains in his possession.

Adam coming along with the Wedding Peak info and confirmation that Turtlechute and Balls Peaks are 2nd run.

So much information came in over night.  I'm preparing to adjust the History accordingly.  Here's the info that came in that I will be adding to the History:

Quote Chris, “Also one of the most important details that was not mentioned ... was that Boyd was one of the only testers who gave us the feedback necessary to fix the prototype run.  Without his help in those early years there would never have been a CLYW.  He plugged CLYW at all the contests, won a bunch with his prototype and pink/green production run.  He did all the leg work.  Hence why we did the Bear vs Man so quickly.”

From Chris: “the hoodride run…  we got 2 anodized gold, 2 anodized black.  1 back one went to Sebby.  The other black to Paul and the other gold to Paul.  I kept one gold and removed all the ano on the outside to create the hoodride.  RAN now owns it.  It was a 1st run… probably one of the nicest.  Same as the 1st run of 50 that were painted.”

From Elephark: Hoodride's brother is Solid Gold Dancer, which is all gold, and is owned by gsimian. gsimian's teal one also had a twin, which Chris owned and eventually sold. I do still own the blue/green Pioneer test, and Chris recently confirmed that there was indeed another one like it, but its location is unknown. Also, prototype 0003 went back to gsimian, then to me.

From Adam: Also... I remember that the prize for the 2007 Virginia State yoyo contest was a 1st run 1st batch Peak (I think) (since it was January of 2007) that was anodized completely black. Sebby won the contest and the peak.

Looking here: http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php/topic,16696.0.html the other all black anodized which Chris references above as having gone to Paul is (or was) sold to Étienne.  Paul did not hold on to many of the Peaks he got.  Actually my info shows him as just owning Solid Gold Dancer and "gsimian", both of which are 1st batch, 1st runs.  Really a shame.  He owned both raw protos at one time and sold them off to Elephark and "spy".  He owned painted proto 0003 after David W had finished testing it and this was sold to Elephark as well.

Of the 50 numbered OG Peaks, #1 was held back for Levi, #50 was painted pink and sold directly.  The “special” one with the inner hubs painted blue was actually one of the 47 OG Peaks shipped to and sold by YYN.  This special one was “picked out” by RAN.  I don’t have the details as to how he knew there was a special one in the batch or how exactly he got hooked up with it, just “picked out”, which tells me he did not get it by chance.  There was an OG that had major vibe and was not shipped.  It was held back by Paul and Paul later sold it.  Not sure what the number was.  So that clears up the 47 OGs that YYN received.

Chris said, “Levi and I painted those Peaks together.  I helped with the prepping and everything… he did the painting.  It was in a small paint shack in a small farm town outside Camrose, AB.  Took us about 13.5 hours to do them.  Was a loooooooooong day!”

Then I remembered this older post by Chris with some slightly different numbers:
Here's the work that went into those 1st 50:

16 hours prep/paint
8 hours siliconing
4 hours assembling (had to match halves)
3 hours packaging

+ the time it took Paul to make the custom string
+ the endless amount of time online we spent keeping everyone updated with our progress
+ the fun we had with starting a yoyo company

This was the 1st yoyo Caribou Lodge released.  It was made in 2006 and is still the preferred yoyo Alex Berenguel is using for contests.

"alexx" of Team CLYW owns the "Alex" Peak, twin to the "Boyd" Peak

Boyd had a Green Mountain themed much like the OG 50 Levi painted peaks... (I think this is the one that's in the 3D video in Save Deth Vol 1) but he says it got lost/stolen somewhere around late '07/early '08

There were 6 "Adam Brewster's Wedding" Edition peaks made for..... my wedding in May of 2009. These were 2nd run peaks. Dark sage green with a robin's egg blue splash.
One for me, 3 for my groomsmen, 2 for my ushers

More painted Peak pictures here: http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php/topic,41164.0.html

"These 5 or 6 “all orange / gray splash” are from this early test colourway run, so some lucky kids from YYN got to buy this rare test color Peak without even knowing it."

You'll be happy to know that at least four of these all orange/ grey splash were purchased from employees/ friends of YYN before they were released online. I own one of them  .
Interesting note, the one belonging to Ryan Finley (Pat Cuartero's cousin) was borrowed and used by Sebastian Brock, himself, to win Mid Atlantic Regionals 2010. Sebby signed it after he won and gave it back to Ryan when he returned to NYC. I'll ask Ryan for a picture of it when he gets a chance.

- Ben
Elephark
Moderately Yabai
Trade Count: (31)
The Nation

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »

There was an OG that had major vibe and was not shipped.  It was held back by Paul and Paul later sold it.
If my memory serves me right, that one went to the national yoyo museum.

G-String - Don't be shy, you know you want it.
buddhakeith
Trade Count: (24)
The Nation

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 02:18:53 PM »

4 years and 11 days... If I had known that my birthday was the last day at I would be able to peak at a store, I would have gotten myself the best birthday present ever... Oh well Cry
Ben,
This is amazing. I can't imagine how much work went into making this. Thank you for compiling all of this into one place

throwgoon
Trade Count: (80)
The Nation

GOON

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 02:33:23 PM »

An epic thread.. for an epic throw!

Thanks Ben!
captainhunter
Trade Count: (4)
The Nation

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 03:15:05 PM »

Amazing read.  Thanks for all the hard work (though it's clearly a labour of love.)

~Live NerdCore~
http://yorad.ca
Ben
The Nation

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 03:18:05 PM »

Edit for all info that came in overnight have been made to the History.  I still need to sprinkle in pictures throughout, which I will do from home tonight.  Please continue to let me know if I've missed anything... Oh damn... I forgot the Chinese Peak.

- Ben

Edit: China Peak added.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:31:55 PM by Ben » Logged
Ian
Trade Count: (14)
The Nation

Benny Gold.

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 07:27:51 PM »

i LOVE history behind CLYW! Grin Thanks ben !
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 01:50:14 PM by Ian » Logged
attybud
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 10:48:25 PM »

A splendid body of work, Ben.  This was a fun read, indeed! 

Indeed, I did.  I did, indeed,
             My daring-do with all due speed. 
             Without due speed, I dare not do,
             What ho, indeed - not one, but two! 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: