Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2017, 08:02:06 AM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  Other Skill Toys  |  HPI Drift RC cars « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HPI Drift RC cars  (Read 3453 times)
JoshTheCash
Trade Count: (3)
The Nation

On Deck.

HPI Drift RC cars
« on: June 08, 2010, 09:24:53 PM »

I was thinking about buying a ready to run drifter RC car.

Anybody in here know what it's all about?

Vox
morton.tony1
Trade Count: (10)
The Nation

Re: HPI Drift RC cars
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »

I played around with one for a while. It's pretty good for learning how to drift with out dropping a ton of money into a more custom car. It seems to be a cross between a Velocity and a Protostar. Pretty good to learn on, pretty good to continue on, but there are some better ones. But nothing beats the price to performance ratio it has.

I want to be a race car passenger, the guy that bugs the driver.
"Say man, can I turn on the radio?"
"Hey, you really should slow down."
"Why we gotta keep goin' in circles?"
"Man, you really like Tide."
justink1025
Call me justin
Trade Count: (44)
The Nation

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 11:57:01 PM »

looks nice. I dont really know much about drift because I was never actually interested in them.
Im more into monter truck and buggy

Yes it is a weapon
_        _   
l \      / l
l  \    /  l
l   \_/   l
l    /\    l
l   /  \   l
l_/    \_l
BIG NIC
Trade Count: (15)
The Nation

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 12:24:04 PM »

RC cars are so much fun!  not too sure about the HPI drift cars but RC in general is a LOT of fun... any HPI 1/10 electric would be a decent
starting place  Afro

I did the 1/10 nitro on-road stuff and some random 1/18 on-road and off-road fun for many years!

But it can end up being a pricey hobby! 

B/S/T  -  1 of a kind yoyo's!  -TRADES!!
- RARE 3yo3 IceFu, 1Drop Dietz, Oscillatrix , T5.. Make an OffeR!
http://www.yoyonation
jokers10
Trade Count: (14)
The Nation

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 01:42:17 PM »

I had an on-road Nitro RS4 from HPI, and I had a problem because of how not smooth my road is. It is not the rough road in town, but just little cracks in the road really destroyed my car. So I didn't do any drifting, but it was still fun, when it didn't break.
popdada
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 04:38:55 PM »

can't go wrong with HPI....but any awd rc car can be made into a drifter....check out the tamiya tt01...cheap.. easy to build...lot of hop-ups!
ibanezcollector
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 05:49:43 PM »

I had an on-road Nitro RS4 from HPI, and I had a problem because of how not smooth my road is. It is not the rough road in town, but just little cracks in the road really destroyed my car. So I didn't do any drifting, but it was still fun, when it didn't break.

I was into RC for a long time..

I had a Nitro 4Tec with Rossi engine, a few HPI RS4s,  A severely hopped up TC3 electric and a Couple HPI Savages which were built like tanks compared to the Tmaxx. And some misc electrics here and there. oh and a Xfactor Truck which was a POS.

It is so much fun but I was making a trip to the hobby store every other day to buy parts from playing the day before. It got WAY expensive.

Check out the Team Associated TC3 as well, it can be set as a drifter which I did do, and has a bazillion hop up parts. And in my eye was a way better RC then the HPI electric and nitro stuff.

Quote from: yoyochucker
One of a kind is not all that matters. I can draw a picture of a dog chasing a rat who is pissing on a cat... sure its one of a kind but no one will want it.  Afro
BIG NIC
Trade Count: (15)
The Nation

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:59:46 AM »

It is so much fun but I was making a trip to the hobby store every other day to buy parts from playing the day before. It got WAY expensive.

Check out the Team Associated TC3 as well, it can be set as a drifter which I did do, and has a bazillion hop up parts. And in my eye was a way better RC then the HPI electric and nitro stuff.

I think the Team Associated TC3 would be the best place to start... they have a Ready to Run version, I think the new one is now called a TC4.
And if you get into it they are fun and easy to hop-up... I would take the Team Associated over a HPI electric anyday!
morton.tony1
The Nation

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 12:35:49 PM »

I wouldn't recommend a nitro for drifting, just because electric is much more responsive, which is what you are looking for in a drifter. Any electric 4wd would work well. You can use a nitro for drifting, but it's a lot harder. All in all, if you want a race car, on or off road, get a nitro, if you want a drifter, get an electric.
ReaperUnreal
Trade Count: (28)
The Nation

Grood, I mean great, and good. Great and good.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 04:34:44 PM »

Any electric 4wd would work well. You can use a nitro for drifting, but it's a lot harder.
QFT

I used to be a lot into RC drifting a few years ago. I was using a Tamiya TL-01 with a bunch of hop-ups. Here's some things I've learned:

• Don't bother with expensive tires when you're starting out, just wrap your regular tires with electrical tape (in the right direction of course).
  • You want a motor with lots of torque. Torque is king for drifting. I was using a P2K2 Pro for a while, great stuff.
  • Get a foam front bumper if your car doesn't come with one. Trust me, you'll need it while learning.
  • If you can afford it, go for a really fast steering servo, it'll be easier to react mid-drift.
  • It's kind of expensive, but the D-Box gyro is a good learning tool. Helps you learn what a car should be doing.
  • Start with a really cheap car, there's no point banging up a nice one.

One Trick A Week: onetrickaweek.blogspot.com
YoYoToronto: www.yoyotoronto.com
morton.tony1
The Nation

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 08:59:19 PM »

I did the whole "make your own tires out of pvc" trick and it worked out pretty well. And yeah the faster the turning servo the better. I would upgrade the bumpers and servo before anything else, unless the motor is absolutely dreadful.
markkjeforsonn
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 05:19:23 PM »

I worked with Rossi engines nitro 4Tec, a few heifers RS4s, a serious jump on TC3 electric and a couple tanks like the HPI Savage built Tmaxx compared. And some miscellaneous electrical appliances, here and there. OH and a Xfactor car is a POS machine.

pickyourking
Trade Count: (6)
The Nation

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »

I always wanted a nitro drifter, I never got into electric.
I'd look into ofna if I were you, I know they have a new electric drifter. Not sure about all of them, but mine has lots of metal parts and pretty much never broke while bashing. Unlike my duratrash.

I used to drift (kinda) with my OFNA LX COMP, until I got a little too crazy on ice and cracked my engine block from over revving. I have a Duratrax MT pro with all the aluminum upgardes as well.

Go with nitro though, you'll have more fun, you'll make people with electrics feel lame cuz their cars sound lame, and the exhaust smells good tongue

Anyone wanna sell a good 1/8th scale buggy engine cheapish get at me!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:36:49 PM by pickyourking » Logged
skyhummer22
YoYoFactory NutCase
The Nation

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »

LOL ?Micro-T FTW LOL my 2 cents Rollin on da floor!

YOYOFactory DV888 to da max
need-a-bow
The Nation

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 07:59:26 PM »

Haha I ran over a micro t with my nitro buggy. It bounced out like a hotwheels

skyhummer22
YoYoFactory NutCase
The Nation

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »

ah ha ha nice i have the micro baja and the XXX-T Cool
Saxocrazy
Lord of the Saxophone nuts
Trade Count: (19)
The Nation

())-----------------------------O

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 09:34:59 PM »

hey did you ever get one? I have a really cool custom tamiya I'd sell you really cheap.

hhmmmmm... saxocrazy.
need-a-bow
The Nation

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 01:26:56 AM »

I got the sickest drifter of all. A Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin all stock. Just needs electronics. Any suggestions? I want to order soon for the snow
BoostedF22c
The Nation

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 08:21:54 PM »

lol pick your king if your still looking for an engine I have a very powerful 10th scale, its the Jato 2.2

USMC 3531 Motor Vehicle Operator
3rd Combat Assault Battalion (CAB) Okinawa Japan

Yoyo of choice: Starry night edition 888
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: