Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 05:29:35 AM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  For the Show-Offs: YoYo Showcase  |  Museum Of Yo-Yo History.  |  Visual differences between 1st run and 2nd run Peaks « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Visual differences between 1st run and 2nd run Peaks  (Read 11818 times)
Ben
Peak Historian and Curator
Trade Count: (50)
The Nation

Less Posting. More Throwing.

Visual differences between 1st run and 2nd run Peaks
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:37:39 PM »

I see this asked fairly often, so I figure it time to make an "official" post to put this question to bed once and for all.

So you think you have a 1st run Peak or you are looking to buy a Peak someone is claiming to be a 1st run.  Boy it would be nice to know for sure.  While it is true that 1st run Peaks weigh different from 2nd run Peaks, I wouldn't rely on that.  You may not own a good scale.  Even if you do, if the Peak is on BST, you can't weigh it. More importantly depending on if it's raw, ano'ed, or painted, it will weigh different.  I have a very nice digital scale and have weighed all my Peaks and the numbers are all over the place.  I even have 2nd run Peaks that weigh as much as gram different from one another.

What you really want to do is be able to visually identify a 1st run Peak, and thankfully this is possible.

The proto and 1st run Peaks came from Chris' first machining shop.  The 2nd run Peaks came from Chris' second machining shop. (see info below).  This second machining shop does a tool change which results in a machining line on the Peak.  If your Peak has this line, it is a 2nd run... period.

Here you can see the tool change machining line inside the hub of this 2nd run Peak:

Note that this 1st run Peak does not have that machining line:

OK.  So you have a Peak without the machining line.  That alone isn't enough for me to be 100% certain that it's a 1st run.  If it's painted, the paint may be thick enough to hide the line.  Or someone (like myself) may have taken a raw 2nd run Peak, sanded down the line and polished it.

Here is my 2nd run Levi painted Atari Peak which has the machining line but the paint is thick enough such that you can't see it:

Here is my 2nd run raw which I sanded (thus removing the machining line) and polished:

So weights vary and machining lines can be removed.  We need a definitive way to identify a 1st run Peak, and luckily we have one.  The outer edge/lip of the rim is more rounded on a 1st run Peak whereas the outer edge/lip of the rim on a 2nd run Peak is sharper; less rounded.  Unfortunately the difference is so subtle I still have to set two Peaks side by side to see the difference.

Here are two 1st run Peaks side by side (red Yoyowiki and 28S):

Note how the outer edge/lip of the rim is rounded, leaving a nice "v" shaped white space between the outer edge of the rims of the two Peaks.

Here are two 2nd run Peaks side by side (raspberry maple drip and A-grade pink/purple wash):

Note that the "v" shaped white space between the outer edge of the rims is much smaller because the outer edge of the rim is not rounded off as much as the 1st run.

Another view:

So if you think you have a 1st run Peak find a 2nd run Peak and put them side by side.  Here's what you want to see:

Note how the outer edge/lip of the 28S's rim is clearly more rounded off.

While on the subject, here's a bunch of useful information which has all been posted before, but would be helpful to have here as well:

Okay here's the Peak history to clear a few things up:

My friend's machine shop
- 6 prototypes

1st Machine shop = 1st Gen
- 1st 50 Painted Peaks
- 1st run 28 Stories Peaks (Fall 2007 - had the flat spikes on some of them - some had vibe)
- Some random anos, raws and the Yoyowiki Peak
  - Most were given to contests, friends, team members

2nd Machine shop = 2nd Gen (he also runs bvms & bassalopes)
- Custom Painted Peaks Levi did in 2008 that sold on ebay
- Atari Peak, Iron Maiden, Tree, Gold sparkle, Plaid...
- all anodized Peaks from this year
- a couple raw Peaks that went to contests

3rd machine shop runs only Woolys and a new prototype we're working on

More details about the 6 proto Peaks:
1 white - went to Boyd
1 grey -0003, Elephark has it
1 raw - Dremeled/chipped away silicone groove, went from Chris to Elephark to Vendetta, 1st Peak to be machined, used and heavily tested by Chris, who did the Dremel "mod"
1 raw - once owned by G-String Paul, sold to someone in Brazil, may have found its way back to North America but current owner wishes to remain anonymous
1 red - 0001 painted, Chris kept this
1 grey/ice blue - 0002 painted, went from Chris to Vendetta to me (Ben)

Pics of painted proto 0002 which I own:

Pic of 0003:

More details about the 50 1st run numbered painted Peaks:
Here's the work that went into those 1st 50:

16 hours prep/paint
8 hours siliconing
4 hours assembling (had to match halves)
3 hours packaging

+ the time it took Paul to make the custom string
+ the endless amount of time online we spent keeping everyone updated with our progress
+ the fun we had with starting a yoyo company

This was the 1st yoyo Caribou Lodge released.  It was made in 2006 and is still the preferred yoyo Alex Berenguel is using for contests.

Under "1st machine shop" Chris references "some random anos".  This references the Peaks Chris used to test finishes on. I know of 6, five of which are in this pic:

See-Bass has the green splash Peak
The 2 blue splash (i.e. Team Edition) Peaks are owned by Chris (c-foam) and Attybud
The black/blue acid wash Peak belongs to "HVizier"
The green/blue acid wash belong to "Elephark "

The 6th I know of is the "Boyd" Peak.   Half green splash / half brown and blue wash.  Currently owned by Trevlor:

Also under "1st machine shop" Chris references the "Yoyowiki" Peak, which is anodized in flat red, which I own and is in some of the comparison pics above.

Just to reiterate, the only 1st run Peaks Levi painted are the numbered ones (unless someone got a raw 1st run and sent it to Levi to a custom job, which at this point in time I don't believe has happened).  I can't tell you how many times I've seen a Levi custom painted Peak on Ebay listed as "1st run" and the seller is simply wrong.

Chris references under "1st machine shop" "some random raws"... I have two of these, one which Higby painted, one which I had custom ano finished.  It is really only these "random raws" which could be causing any confusion about "is this a 1st run or 2nd run?"  All protos are known and mostly accounted for.  All six 1st run Peaks with unique ano jobs which Chris had done are known and accounted for.  All Levi numbered painteds are easily identifiable, as are all 1st run 28S's.

- Ben
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:17:44 PM by Ben » Logged

A Lonely Yo-Yo
Trade Count: (10)
The Nation

Ian Bouchard

Re: Visual differences between 1st run and 2nd run Peaks
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:26:04 PM »

thank you

Dafni
Trade Count: (6)
The Nation

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 03:19:36 PM »

Nice one! Thanks for posting this info.

How many 1st run 28 stories where there? Does anybody know?

sparhawk
Trade Count: (27)
The Nation

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »

Elephark has the green blue acid wash

Will G
<3
Trade Count: (19)
The Nation

Lovesies

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 03:58:18 PM »

Doesn't/didn't Trevlor have a half green splash/half brown/blue wash proto peak?

Wow, the youth of 21st century, having yoyo dreams, my dreams are either banging supermodels or my friend's mothers..
Ben
The Nation

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 04:15:14 PM »

Elephark has the green blue acid wash

Thank you, updated...

Doesn't/didn't Trevlor have a half green splash/half brown/blue wash proto peak?

Oops... forgot about that one.  That's the "Boyd" Peak.  It's a 1st run.  Updated...

- Ben
Elephark
Moderately Yabai
Trade Count: (31)
The Nation

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 04:23:05 PM »

Regarding the unaccounted-for prototype, Paul has told me he sold it to a guy in Brazil.

I was also told that the dremeled-out prototype was the first one ever tested.

The gray/silver one is indeed labeled 0003. It looks like this:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 04:24:25 PM by Elephark » Logged

G-String - Don't be shy, you know you want it.
Vendetta
Trade Count: (68)
The Nation

Not Fail

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 04:34:35 PM »

Nice job Ben! 

To be fair, someone could have taken a raw 1st run and sent it to Levi.  But, thanks to this guide, now we'll know.   Afro

Ben
The Nation

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 04:37:57 PM »

Regarding the unaccounted-for prototype, Paul has told me he sold it to a guy in Brazil.

I was also told that the dremeled-out prototype was the first one ever tested.

The gray/silver one is indeed labeled 0003.

Thanks, updating again.

I was contacted via PM a few months ago by someone who wishes to remain anonymous saying that they believe they have the unaccounted-for raw proto and wanted my help in verifying it, so it may have found its way back from Brazil.

Chris has shared stories with me of the dremeled-out prototype.  It is indeed the first Peak that was machined, the first Peak that was tested, and it was heavily tested and used by Chris, who did the dremel "modification".  It's a wonderful piece of history and it really should be in Chris' possession.  Vendetta is the current owner and intends to keep it forever, unless Chris should come asking for it.  Can't deny it returning to it's creator.

Nice job Ben!  

To be fair, someone could have taken a raw 1st run and sent it to Levi.  But, thanks to this guide, now we'll know.   Afro

True that.  Let's just say "to the knowledge of the community" the only 1st run Peaks to have been painted by Levi are the OG numbered.

- Ben
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 04:40:36 PM by Ben » Logged
Elephark
Moderately Yabai
The Nation

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 04:52:47 PM »

Hehe, I was this close to sending him my first-run raw.
Heath
"The Works" works
Manufacturer
Trade Count: (128)
The Nation

but can it spark?

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 06:05:16 PM »

that black/blue 1st shop proto is mine, not ettienes  Smiley

http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/hvizier/
Ben
The Nation

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 06:21:59 PM »

that black/blue 1st shop proto is mine, not ettienes  Smiley

I remembered on my drive home from work that you had posted that you had a proto, so I was going to PM you to ask which one, because clearly one of the protos had to have changed hands since I didn't have you listed as the owner of any of them.  And I get home to find you beat me to the punch.

Original post updated... again... I'll try to keep this thread updated as protos and unique 1st runs change hands.

- Ben
hAteR
Trade Count: (3)
The Nation

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 06:34:57 PM »

From other topic:

Hi Ben!

Thx for sharing this info. After sreading it, I'm sure that the Bearing-gull is different from my other peaks.The 3 of them have the tool change machining line inside the hub. But the Bearing-gull outer edge/lip of the rim is less rounded/more sharper than the hulk or the chesterman. I'm sure they introduced some changes in the machining of the peak in some point between the chester/hulk ones and the bearing-gull. Maybe chris can throw some info about.

Maybe thanks to this, the bearing-gull is so smooth.  Afro

Vendetta
The Nation

Not Fail

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 11:05:14 PM »

that black/blue 1st shop proto is mine, not ettienes  Smiley

Not a proto, but rather, 1st run.

Also, what's the deal with wishing to remain anonymous?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:08:20 PM by Vendetta » Logged
Elephark
Moderately Yabai
The Nation

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 12:37:49 AM »

So he's not inundated with requests to sell it. I almost feel the same way.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:38:23 AM by Elephark » Logged
Vendetta
The Nation

Not Fail

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 01:27:07 AM »

So he's not inundated with requests to sell it. I almost feel the same way.

I own the first Peak made, tested, whatever.  No one has PM'd me to purchase it. 
Elephark
Moderately Yabai
The Nation

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 01:33:08 AM »

Weird. People used to send me messages all the time to see if I'd trade my Peaks to them for a beat-to-crap G5+ or something of the sort.

Now that I think about it, it's been a while since that's happened.
Vendetta
The Nation

Not Fail

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 06:05:50 AM »

Weird. People used to send me messages all the time to see if I'd trade my Peaks to them for a beat-to-crap G5+ or something of the sort.

Now that I think about it, it's been a while since that's happened.

Back in the day, before the Peak was in huge supply, I'm sure you got bombarded with all kinds of messages.
Heath
"The Works" works
Manufacturer
Trade Count: (128)
The Nation

but can it spark?

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 09:05:58 AM »

that black/blue 1st shop proto is mine, not ettienes  Smiley

Not a proto, but rather, 1st run.

Also, what's the deal with wishing to remain anonymous?

its the only peak featuring the slip surface, so while it may not be a prototype peak, it is a prototype finish, making it a proto
sicyo
"Itís time to evolve ideas. You know, evolution didnít end with us growing thumbs." - Bill Hicks
Trade Count: (35)
The Nation

throwing since '96

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »

I always pay attention to your posts for good reason Ben. This thread is very informative.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: