- Navigating your Profile -
The profile button is found toward the top of the forum in between the "Search" button and the "Calendar" button:
After clicking the profile button, a Profile Information box will appear on the left side of your screen:
For the purpose of this section the focus is on "Modify Profile".Account Related Settings:
- You can change your e-mail address and determine whether you want the public to see your e-mail address.
- You can also change whether you will appear online (at the bottom of the main forum) or be hidden.
- This is also the place to change your password (it's a good idea to change it every 6 months) and update your security question for password retrieval.Forum Profile Information:
- I have my own pic
allows you to link any hosted image as your avatar. The image will be compressed to fit the constraints of the forum's pixel limit.
- I will upload my own picture
allows you to select an image from you computer. The forum will notify you if your avatar is too big and you will need to resize it.
- Currently, avatars are restrained to 150x150 pixels, but for best results try to stay under the 140x140 pixel range.
- Users are allowed to have animated avatars, but are asked to remain under 100kb for our dial-up users.
- Personal text appears under your avatar (if you have one)
- Birthdate displays your date of birth on your profile and places the date on the forum calendar.
- Location shows other users where you live.
- Gender only allows you to select male or female, if you are "other" you can opt to leave it blank.
- MYSPACE link: One of the most common errors in people's profiles.
When providing your MySpace link you only provide what appears after: www.myspace.com/
Yoyonation's MySpace page is www.myspace.com/yoyonation
so the only thing they would put in this text box is yoyonation
the rest is automated.
- Custom title appears under your screen name.
- Signature may contain hosted images and/or text. Your signature only appears in the initial post on each page of a thread. Your second post on any one page will NOT contain your signature.
- Website title is the title of the URL if you wish to provide a website. Yoyonation may choose a title of "Join the Nation"
- Website URL is the fully qualified (include http://) URL of the website you wish to link in your profile.Look and Layout Preferences:
- Current theme there are five different themes to choose from by clicking on the "change" link.
- Time format gives the option of how you want the time and date displayed.
- Time offset allows you to change the forum time to match your timezone.
- If you are on dial-up and are being slowed down by other users avatars or signatures this is the place to disable them.
- "Use quick reply on topic display" many users ask about this function allowing them to have a quick reply box available while reading threads and here it is.Notifications and Email:
- Receive forum announcements and important notifications by email.
- Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply.
- Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic.
- When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email.
- Shows what topics and/or boards you are receiving notifications about.Personal Message Options:
- Allows you to set up an ignore list if you are being harassed by a forum member or if you simply wish to ignore them in the future.
- Save a copy of each Personal Message in your outbox.
- Show a popup when you receive new messages.