Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 01:33:05 AM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  YoYoNation  |  New to Yo-Yos and YoYoNation!  |  Old Man, New Thrower « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Old Man, New Thrower  (Read 765 times)
tnfishdaddy
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

Old Man, New Thrower
« on: August 01, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »

I am almost embarrassed to admit this but I am a 45 year old father of two young boys. (Am I too old for a yo yo?)  Until two days ago, I hadn't even thought of buying a yo yo. My 8 year old started asking for one. Then the 10 year old decided he needed one also. Finally went out this morning and found a couple of Duncans at Kmart. Brought them home and have been having a blast. I haven't thrown a yo yo in probably 35 years and I am loving it. My boys are already mad because they can't figure out how to do it and dad is making it sleep, around the world and a couple of other basic tricks.

The problem is I already want more yo yos.  The boys both got Butterfly's and I grabbed a Reflex and an old Imperial. I discovered this site and now I am in trouble. I had no idea, just what all was out there. I see all these awesome looking yo yos and find out about different strings, bearings and everything else.  I will be reading these forums and trying to soak it all in.  I already have to figure out how to change strings (after I figure out where to order them) for one of the Butterflies. Son already tangled one of the strings and I broke it trying to untangle.  I hope I don't bother you all too much asking questions because I will have a bunch.

Oh yeah, if I am too old, too bad. I am hooked now. It's too late.
JoeBadass
Stephen Fuentes
Trade Count: (25)
The Nation

OD CODE1 ALL DAY EVERYDAY.

Re: Old Man, New Thrower
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:20:50 PM »

Never too old to throw!!

hiltonking
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 08:27:33 AM »

I'm 43.  Some of the guys in my club are even older than I.

Read a lot of posts.  You can probably find a video about changing string.

Go on and ask a lot of questions.  Some people will tell you to use the search function.  Some will answer your questions. 
Yo-duh
Noted Notary Public
Trade Count: (7)
The Nation

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 06:03:30 PM »

I throw every day and I'm 50.
Never too old to play!

The Torture Never Stops
wcrase
Trade Count: (4)
The Nation

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 09:44:22 PM »

I'm 35.
You have options and options for where to begin. Almost all of them will be good. Personally, I like to recommend the Yoyofactory One (with the extra bearing) or yoyofactory Velocity to anyone starting out. They look cool and play great and are a good value considering how far you can progress with them and how durable they are.
Welcome to the community Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: