Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2017, 04:16:56 PM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  Yo-Yo Clubs & Meets  |  Contests  |  Will there be an East Coast Classic this year? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will there be an East Coast Classic this year?  (Read 1523 times)
ShadrCom3t
pneumonoultramicroscopicsili covolcanoconiosis
Trade Count: (17)
The Nation

time- there isn't enough of it

Will there be an East Coast Classic this year?
« on: May 25, 2012, 03:46:08 PM »

I'm travelling to Boston again this year and I was wondering if there's an ECC planned for 2012.

How floaty is the 44?
Quote from: YoYoFactory

We measured it on a floaty-o-meter and it scored a 44.
swagwagon
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

Re: Will there be an East Coast Classic this year?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 09:41:12 PM »

I've heard that there won't be.
ShadrCom3t
pneumonoultramicroscopicsili covolcanoconiosis
Trade Count: (17)
The Nation

time- there isn't enough of it

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »

That's what I assumed. Hopefully there'll be one next year.
2pointyo
Trade Count: (20)
The Nation

It's just for the fun of it.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 01:21:21 PM »

Nope, the triple crown of yoyo is only one event this year, in chicago, but you should go to that one if you can! I sure wish i could

Juan Hubero
The Nation

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 04:50:18 AM »

In horse racing, the Triple Crown goes to the winner of the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont.

In baseball, the Triple Crown is the league leader for batting average, home runs, and runs batted in during a single season (also wins, strikeouts and earned run average for pitchers).

In yo-yoing, the unofficial Triple Crown winner used to be the player who won a regional, a national contest, and Worlds in the very same year.  (JD did it in '03 by winning BAC, US Nats, and Worlds.  Yuuki did it in '07.)

So considering how important the number THREE is to anything with a Triple Crown name, how can the Triple Crown of Yo-Yo be decided with just ONE event?  That doesn't make sense to me.
Steve Brown™
Malcontent
The Nation

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 12:50:27 PM »

In horse racing, the Triple Crown goes to the winner of the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont.

In baseball, the Triple Crown is the league leader for batting average, home runs, and runs batted in during a single season (also wins, strikeouts and earned run average for pitchers).

In yo-yoing, the unofficial Triple Crown winner used to be the player who won a regional, a national contest, and Worlds in the very same year.  (JD did it in '03 by winning BAC, US Nats, and Worlds.  Yuuki did it in '07.)

So considering how important the number THREE is to anything with a Triple Crown name, how can the Triple Crown of Yo-Yo be decided with just ONE event?  That doesn't make sense to me.

In horse racing, baseball, and pretty much everything else there is a governing body that works with all event organizers to make all rules, scoring, judges, etc consistent across all qualifying events.

In yo-yos, we have absolutely nothing that comes even close to this. Even the National YoYo League requires only that the events use the same scoring sheet and system....nothing else is expected.

The Triple Crown is our attempt to build up to something far more official and far reaching, with an appeal to the general public as well as die-hard yo-yo fans. We intended for this to be a 3-contest series, and realized after the first year that we simply don't have enough people to run that. This year we're scaling back a bit while we re-group, and we'll return to a 3-contest format when we feel that we can comfortably provide a quality event experience across three states.

This year, the "Triple Crowns" will refer to the three main freestyle divisions. Considering that at the first World YoYo Contest I attended, Dale Oliver had to bribe someone to compete just so there would be 5 people in the Pro/Am Freestyle division which determined the World Champion, I think we're still in pretty good shape with the evolution of our contest and company. Growing pains, for sure, but that's what happens when you try something that's never been done before. Wink

You mention that in yo-yoing, "the unofficial Triple Crown winner used to be..."

Part of the problem with yo-yoing is that everything is pretty much "unofficial". We're doing our best to build something that will be held to a higher standard and do more permanent good for the contest system.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:51:37 PM by Steve Brown™ » Logged

2pointyo
The Nation

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 06:33:34 PM »

Steve is always right, take notes.
Juan Hubero
The Nation

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »

In horse racing, baseball, and pretty much everything else there is a governing body that works with all event organizers to make all rules, scoring, judges, etc consistent across all qualifying events.

In yo-yos, we have absolutely nothing that comes even close to this. Even the National YoYo League requires only that the events use the same scoring sheet and system....nothing else is expected.

Then it sounds to me like the NYYL needs to step their game up.  I mean if they don’t even take the sport seriously, then why should the general public?  And if they aren’t even up for the task, then maybe it is time for a new governing body to come along.

The Triple Crown is our attempt to build up to something far more official and far reaching, with an appeal to the general public as well as die-hard yo-yo fans. We intended for this to be a 3-contest series, and realized after the first year that we simply don't have enough people to run that. This year we're scaling back a bit while we re-group, and we'll return to a 3-contest format when we feel that we can comfortably provide a quality event experience across three states.

How exactly does the Triple Crown appeal to the general public?   Running the prelims in a private venue, with the finals taking place in a high foot traffic public setting, that doesn’t really guarantee that the general public will take a liking to competitive yo-yoing.   No matter how you try to spin it, the Triple Crown of YoYo is still using a contest format that makes little to no sense to non-throwers, and is about as fun for them as watching paint dry.  It’s not just a matter of where the contest takes place, or keeping the less polished preliminary freestyles away from the public eye.  If the format isn’t simplified enough for the non-throwers in the audience to follow along, then the sport will never really get the chance to catch on.

Where is the tension and rivalry?  Where is that x factor that separates the Triple Crown from other yo-yo contests?  I guess I just don’t see it.

This year, the "Triple Crowns" will refer to the three main freestyle divisions.

So if each division represents a single crown now, does that mean that a competitor will need to take 1st place in all 3 divisions to win the Triple Crown?

Considering that at the first World YoYo Contest I attended, Dale Oliver had to bribe someone to compete just so there would be 5 people in the Pro/Am Freestyle division which determined the World Champion, I think we're still in pretty good shape with the evolution of our contest and company. Growing pains, for sure, but that's what happens when you try something that's never been done before. Wink

That’s great that yo-yoing has come a long way from where it used to be.  But just because it isn’t as dull as it once was, that doesn’t mean that it is no longer stuck in a perpetual state of mediocrity.

And what aspects of the Triple Crown have never been done before anyways?  The only thing that was really “new” about it was that it was a three contest series, back-to-back-to-back.  Other than that, I don’t really see anything that is new or revolutionary about it.

You mention that in yo-yoing, "the unofficial Triple Crown winner used to be..."

Part of the problem with yo-yoing is that everything is pretty much "unofficial". We're doing our best to build something that will be held to a higher standard and do more permanent good for the contest system.

If permanent good for the contest system is your goal, then please, whatever you do, switch to a different format.  The current standard hasn’t worked, isn’t working, and will not work to get this sport where it needs to be.  To put it bluntly, it is BORING. 

Just because a bunch of yo-yo players have a good time at a contest, that isn’t an accurate indicator of a successful event.  As throwers, you could put us all in a room with no windows, music, or anything really, and we would still have fun.  That’s because we enjoy the social aspect of yo-yo contests more than the contests themselves.  Yo-yo players shouldn’t be your target audience here.  The people in the crowd who know little to nothing about yo-yoing should be the people you are trying to entertain.

Steve is always right, take notes.

I have to disagree with you on this.  Now don’t get me wrong here.  No doubt, Steve’s an extremely intelligent guy.  He isn’t infallible though.  Nobody on this planet is.

Yo-yoing – the industry, sport, and community– doesn’t need more sycophantic yes-men.  There are already more than enough of them to go around.  Instead, what it really needs are more people questioning things, and bringing newer, better ideas to the table. 
Decahedron
Trade Count: (16)
The Nation

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »

Just because a bunch of yo-yo players have a good time at a contest, that isn’t an accurate indicator of a successful event.  As throwers, you could put us all in a room with no windows, music, or anything really, and we would still have fun.  That’s because we enjoy the social aspect of yo-yo contests more than the contests themselves.  Yo-yo players shouldn’t be your target audience here.  The people in the crowd who know little to nothing about yo-yoing should be the people you are trying to entertain.

What do you considering a "successful" event, then? 

Ive seen you on other forums talking about creating tension/rivalries between players.  what exactly does that achieve?  why would the general public (ie people whos first yoyo contest is the one they stumble across) have anything invested in some dorks with e-rivalries flinging metal around?

The contests are put on by yoyoers for yoyoers.  I don't even really get what youre trying to achieve?  Would a larger public appeal really strengthen yoyo?  Say it gets big and big non-yoyo related companies start sponsoring contests.  So now we've got a larger purse.  Does increasing the winnings fix anything?  You havent said that this is your goal, but you havent really said anything at all, so i'm taking guesses.

http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php/topic,108230.0.html

My e-bay auctions!  Looooow starting bids!
Steve Brown™
Malcontent
The Nation

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 03:42:58 PM »

1. We don't need "a new governing body". We need "a" governing body. There isn't one. The NYYL doesn't really do anything significant that I've been able to detect. They provide insurance for Regionals. That's all that I'm aware of.

2. The contest format is understood perfectly by non-players. Players get on stage and do a freestyle performance to music. They are judged on technical merit, creativity, and performance. What part of that is mysterious? What Triple Crown is doing differently is building up the event to be a lifestyle brand in its own right, instead of simply a carrier pigeon for yo-yo companies. By building the contest brand into something with far wider appeal, we can then offer the sponsors much better benefits and far better exposure.

3. There is plenty new and revolutionary about the way that we're building the event and the brand, but I doubt any of that is going to interest you in the slightest.

4. You seem to think the current format is unredeemably boring. Please explain what you would do differently.

5. No, I'm not always right.
2pointyo
The Nation

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 07:29:58 PM »

Ha ha ha, i didn't actually mean that you are always right, what you said about the yo-yo world being disorganized just seemed very true, and your post in general sounded very philisophical.
Steve Brown™
Malcontent
The Nation

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 07:34:19 PM »

Philosophy is great and all, but I'm more interested in results. Wink
Juan Hubero
The Nation

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »

What do you considering a "successful" event, then?

Thus far, the most successful contest thrown has been EYYC, IMO.  In the States though, nobody has really gotten close to pulling it off as of yet.

In order for a contest to be “successful”, it needs to be run as a pro level event.  That means having professional stage, sound, and lighting, big name sponsors, bigger cash prizes, paid judges, and a format that doesn’t suck.  Press coverage is also a must, and if possible, it should be televised.

Ive seen you on other forums talking about creating tension/rivalries between players.  what exactly does that achieve?  why would the general public (ie people whos first yoyo contest is the one they stumble across) have anything invested in some dorks with e-rivalries flinging metal around?

Tension and rivalry are what will help make yo-yo contests more exciting for the people in the crowd who know little to nothing about throwing yo-yos.  The yo-yoing alone isn’t enough to keep them captivated.  So there needs to be something else to draw them in.  Thankfully, the right contest format would create the drama and rivalry on its own.  It wouldn’t even need to be forced.

The contests are put on by yoyoers for yoyoers.

That is the entire problem right there.  Instead of going after the people who already throw yo-yos, contest organizers should be gearing their events towards the people who don’t.

I don't even really get what youre trying to achieve?  Would a larger public appeal really strengthen yoyo?  Say it gets big and big non-yoyo related companies start sponsoring contests.  So now we've got a larger purse.  Does increasing the winnings fix anything?  You havent said that this is your goal, but you havent really said anything at all, so i'm taking guesses.

1. All I am trying to achieve right now is an open discussion on this topic.  Long term though, I want to see competitive yo-yoing become a lot more popular than it currently is, so that the best players in the world can finally earn a decent living off of prize money and endorsements.

2. I would only assume that a larger public appeal would strengthen yo-yoing.  More public appeal would mean a bigger customer base for the industry, which would mean more support for contests, more non-industry sponsors getting involved, bigger cash prizes, and so on and so on.

3.  Well, it may not fix everything.  But it will most definitely fix the prize money problem, at least.  The cream of the crop deserves more than what they currently get for winning contests, and until that changes, competitive yo-yoing will never be considered a credible sport.

1. We don't need "a new governing body". We need "a" governing body. There isn't one. The NYYL doesn't really do anything significant that I've been able to detect. They provide insurance for Regionals. That's all that I'm aware of.

Po-tay-to.  Po-tah-to.  The point is that yo-yoing needs a governing body that will bring more credibility to the sport.  This is something that we both agree on, correct?

2. The contest format is understood perfectly by non-players. Players get on stage and do a freestyle performance to music. They are judged on technical merit, creativity, and performance. What part of that is mysterious?

Forget about the mystery.  What part of that is entertaining to non-throwers?  That’s the more important question here.

Sure, they may be able to understand that each player gets a set amount of time on stage, and that they will be scored by a panel of judges.  But are they able to grasp the more technical aspects of competitive yo-yoing?  Can they even tell the difference between a landed trick and a miss?  Between a good freestyle and a bad one?  For most non-throwers, all yo-yoing looks the same after about 30 seconds.  So when you’re bombarding them with one freestyle after another, all day long, it gets rather monotonous.

What Triple Crown is doing differently is building up the event to be a lifestyle brand in its own right, instead of simply a carrier pigeon for yo-yo companies. By building the contest brand into something with far wider appeal, we can then offer the sponsors much better benefits and far better exposure.

How are you building it up into something with wider appeal?  You say you are.  But you aren’t really explaining how you are doing it. 

3. There is plenty new and revolutionary about the way that we're building the event and the brand, but I doubt any of that is going to interest you in the slightest.

How do you even know I’m not interested?  Just because I don’t feel that the Triple Crown is everything that you’ve hyped it up to be, or that it will ever catch on with the general public with the format you’re using, that doesn’t mean I’m not interested in hearing about what you’re trying to accomplish, and more importantly, how you are making it happen.

Believe it or not, what you want for the sport isn’t all that different from what I want to see happen.  We just have differing views on how to get there.

4. You seem to think the current format is unredeemably boring. Please explain what you would do differently.

First off, I wouldn’t combine divisions together like you did with the Two-Handed and Aerial divisions.  Since different styles don’t score the same, mixing them together will only give an unfair advantage to certain players.  So keeping them separate only makes sense.

As for the format I would use, I would run 1A & 5A as single elimination tourneys, and run 2A-4A like they are handled at other contests.  The more popular divisions will be the main attractions, and everything else will be the filler in between rounds.

Ideally, it would be a 2-day event.  The prelims and Sports Ladder would be handled on the first day, with the finals taking place the next.

For 2A-4A, there would still be 1-minute preliminary freestyles.  But instead of having a set number of people making it to the finals, there would be a scoring cutoff.  So the number of players in the finals for those 3 divisions could vary.  However, since none of those styles ever seem to have a huge turnout, I doubt there would be a huge number of finalists anyways.  Final freestyles for these divisions would only be 2 minutes.

With 1A and 5A, competitors would perform 1-minute prelim freestyles, just like the other divisions.  Only instead of there being a scoring cutoff, the top 16 from each division would qualify for the tournament, with their scores deciding where they will be seeded.  Here is how competitors would be paired off for the Round of 16:

#1 vs. #16
#8 vs. #9
#5 vs. #12
#4 vs. #13
#6 vs. #11
#3 vs. #14
#7 vs. #10
#2 vs. #15

For the very first round, TWO competitors would be on stage at a time, going back and forth performing THREE 30 second freestyles each (a.k.a. “heats”).  They would be using the same music too.  Flow would be the focus here, instead of speed.  As for scoring, they would be scored just like they would at any other yo-yo contest.  The big difference would be that the scores would only have an impact on each head-to-head battle.  The competitor who scores higher in 2 out of the 3 heats would be the one who advances to the next round.

For the second round, it would be the same thing pretty much.  Only the heats would be increased to 45 seconds each, instead of 30.

Now for the third round, instead of continuing with the tournament, I would skip straight to the finals.  There would only be 4 competitors left in each division anyways, so there would really be no point in keeping it going.  Rather than have more head-to-head battles, I would just have the remaining competitors perform 3-minute freestyles.  I would also take the highest scoring player who didn’t advance from the previous round, and give them a “wild card” spot in the finals.  That way, there would be an accurate top 5 for 1A and 5A, as well as the chance for an underdog to come back and win it all.

I could keep going with this.  But since this post is already long enough, I think I’ll end it here.  I’m pretty sure that you get the gist of what I’m getting at though.

Ha ha ha, i didn't actually mean that you are always right, what you said about the yo-yo world being disorganized just seemed very true, and your post in general sounded very philisophical.

If you didn’t mean it, then why even say it? 
Decahedron
The Nation

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »

For the very first round, TWO competitors would be on stage at a time, going back and forth performing THREE 30 second freestyles each (a.k.a. “heats”).  They would be using the same music too.  Flow would be the focus here, instead of speed.  As for scoring, they would be scored just like they would at any other yo-yo contest.  The big difference would be that the scores would only have an impact on each head-to-head battle.  The competitor who scores higher in 2 out of the 3 heats would be the one who advances to the next round.

For the second round, it would be the same thing pretty much.  Only the heats would be increased to 45 seconds each, instead of 30.

Now for the third round, instead of continuing with the tournament, I would skip straight to the finals.  There would only be 4 competitors left in each division anyways, so there would really be no point in keeping it going.  Rather than have more head-to-head battles, I would just have the remaining competitors perform 3-minute freestyles.  I would also take the highest scoring player who didn’t advance from the previous round, and give them a “wild card” spot in the finals.  That way, there would be an accurate top 5 for 1A and 5A, as well as the chance for an underdog to come back and win it all.

I could keep going with this.  But since this post is already long enough, I think I’ll end it here.  I’m pretty sure that you get the gist of what I’m getting at though.

Donno about the back and forth to the same music.  Unless youre in to seeing guy wright yoyo to dubstep.
Juan Hubero
The Nation

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 02:53:19 PM »

As funny as I think that would be to witness, there wouldn't be any Dubstep during the head-to-head battles.  Competitors wouldn't even be able to choose their own music either, at least not during those rounds.  Prelims and finals will be the only time they would have that option.
Steve Brown™
Malcontent
The Nation

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 09:28:15 AM »

You say that in order for a contest to be successful it needs to do this this and that...but you still aren't saying exactly what the measure of success is supposed to be.

EYYC seems like a magnificent event. I haven't been. Have you?

You say that the current contest format is boring to non-players because they don't understand the technical aspects of yo-yoing. Then you outline a contest format that still relies entirely on technical freestyle performances. You say you want a contest to appeal to average people, then you say that we can't combine divisions because there are too many technical differences between play styles....none of which a casual audience will ever notice or care about.

As for not explaining in great detail what we are doing different with Triple Crown, I'll give you this: If you're good at something, never do it for free. It's worth noting that as far as I'm aware, only 3 contests in the US are actual, registered companies with a business license, paying taxes. etc. Worlds, Nationals, and Triple Crown. It's also worth noting that as Andre, Seth, and I build up this company I'm not going to publish a primer on how to do-it-yourself. I put 17 years into this industry to get here. Put in your time, and you'll figure it out too. Wink

I appreciate that you'd like to see the contest system improved, but the format isn't the problem. It's that contests aren't run like businesses, there's no consistency from one event to the next, and there's no one at the top trying to introduce any.

You're concerning yourself with the wrong problem. If the machine is broken, re-painting it isn't going to help.

I'm just building a new machine.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:29:07 AM by Steve Brown™ » Logged
Decahedron
The Nation

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 07:20:08 PM »

As funny as I think that would be to witness, there wouldn't be any Dubstep during the head-to-head battles.  Competitors wouldn't even be able to choose their own music either, at least not during those rounds.  Prelims and finals will be the only time they would have that option.

Some of the best yoyoing as performance has at least some measure of choreography.  The spotanaeity would I guess increase improvisation, but id rather score and be scored on a more planned, less mumbo-jumbo performance.
Juan Hubero
The Nation

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »

You say that in order for a contest to be successful it needs to do this this and that...but you still aren't saying exactly what the measure of success is supposed to be.

If no contests are successful, how do you really create a measurement for success?

EYYC seems like a magnificent event. I haven't been. Have you?

Not yet, but I hope to attend at some point in the future.  Everyone who has been to EYYC has said that it is the greatest contest in the world though, which is something I have never heard about any of the contests that are held in the States.  If so many people are on the same page about that contest, then there must be some truth to the rumors.

You say that the current contest format is boring to non-players because they don't understand the technical aspects of yo-yoing. Then you outline a contest format that still relies entirely on technical freestyle performances.

No matter what, we can’t get away from the highly technical nature of competitive yo-yoing.  The sub-culture has moved in that direction over the years, and there is absolutely no way of turning it back.  Pandora’s box has already been opened.

So rather than dumb down the yo-yoing, which will never happen, the format is what needs to get an overhaul.  You can take the same scoring system that is used at other contests, and apply it to a one-on-one, best two-out of-three tourney format.  The non-throwers in the crowd still won’t grasp the more technical aspects of what is going on.  That’s a given.  But unless they lack the ability to count to 3, they would have a much easier time following along than they would at other contests.  It would also be a lot more exciting than watching a bunch of rehearsed yo-yo routines, one after the other.

You say you want a contest to appeal to average people, then you say that we can't combine divisions because there are too many technical differences between play styles....none of which a casual audience will ever notice or care about.

The reason for not combining divisions has nothing to do with making contests more appealing or easier to follow for non-throwers.  Doing so just isn’t fair for the people competing.  It will always give certain styles a scoring advantage over others, which isn’t what I would really consider a level playing field.

Take your own contest, for example.  What happened with the Deviant Division (2A-5A) at last year’s Triple Crown?  A 2A player won all 3 events, right?  That right there is a perfect example of why different styles shouldn’t be lumped together.

As for not explaining in great detail what we are doing different with Triple Crown, I'll give you this: If you're good at something, never do it for free. It's worth noting that as far as I'm aware, only 3 contests in the US are actual, registered companies with a business license, paying taxes. etc. Worlds, Nationals, and Triple Crown.

And not one of those contests mentioned is really doing anything to elevate the sport’s popularity, IMHO.

It's also worth noting that as Andre, Seth, and I build up this company I'm not going to publish a primer on how to do-it-yourself. I put 17 years into this industry to get here. Put in your time, and you'll figure it out too. Wink

Don’t flatter yourself, Steve.  I have no intention of stealing your ideas.  Considering how much of a flop the Triple Crown was last year, I don’t really think of you as the go-to guy for contest ideas anyways.

Besides, I already have plenty of ideas of my own.  If I had the industry’s support – and by support, I mean more than yo-yo companies just sending product – I KNOW that I could put on a contest that would put the Triple Crown to shame.  I already have a venue in Buffalo that is on par with the Rosen in Orlando, and I was actively trying to put together a contest there.  I was even going to have an unofficial 21+ contest after the main event was over with.  But with what little support yo-yo companies offer, and big companies from outside of the industry not willing to touch competitive yo-yoing at this time, putting all of the pieces together would’ve been a solo effort that I could not have afforded to pull off on my own.

I appreciate that you'd like to see the contest system improved, but the format isn't the problem. It's that contests aren't run like businesses, there's no consistency from one event to the next, and there's no one at the top trying to introduce any.

You’re right.  The format isn’t the problem.  It is actually just one of many issues with competitive yo-yoing.  Running contests like a business isn’t the miracle fix either.  To get this sport headed in the right direction, it will require focusing on ALL of the flaws, instead of trying to narrow it down to just one contributing factor at a time.  Many problems require many solutions.

You're concerning yourself with the wrong problem. If the machine is broken, re-painting it isn't going to help.

What are you talking about?  I’m not concerning myself with the wrong problem here.  I see things perfectly clear.  I’m also not the one who is trying to re-paint a beat up, outdated contest format, like what you’re doing with the Triple Crown.  From my perspective, it seems to me like you’re the one who is blind to the real problems with this sport.

I'm just building a new machine.

Sure, a new machine that still contains all the defective parts from the old one, IMO.  Real innovative.

Some of the best yoyoing as performance has at least some measure of choreography.

I completely agree with you here.  That is why I am not trying to eliminate choreographed yo-yo routines from contests.  They will always have their place in this sport, no matter what.   I just don’t feel that performing a prelim and a final freestyle is enough to truly decide the winner at a yo-yo contest.   To be the best, you should be on fire all day/weekend, instead of for just a few short minutes.

The spotanaeity would I guess increase improvisation, but id rather score and be scored on a more planned, less mumbo-jumbo performance.

Coming up with a yo-yo freestyle on the spot takes talent, just like mapping out a 2-3 minute freestyle from beginning to end.  A competitor who can do both, they are the superior yo-yo player, IMO.
Steve Brown™
Malcontent
The Nation

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 07:48:07 PM »

Your grip on the facts of what you are discussing is tenuous. At best.

You called Triple Crown a "flop", you keep talking about how other contests aren't successful, and yet you still have not given even the slightest indication of what is the measure of success for a contest.

Since you clearly don't think anyone is doing it right, how about this: quit talking about it on a message board and go do it.

That's what I'm going to do.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: