Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 03:18:47 PM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  YoYoNation  |  New to Yo-Yos and YoYoNation!  |  New guy with some questions « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New guy with some questions  (Read 1161 times)
Wannabe
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

New guy with some questions
« on: March 16, 2012, 11:17:08 AM »

So I was messing around with my duncan butterfly, and was doing pretty much zero tricks, up down, up down....when i started trolling the internet for yo yo videos. Of course I find vids of crazy tricks and think, lets start a new hobby.

I read most of the sticky post at the top of this forum, mostly trying to decided which yo yo to start with. I ended up going with the kickside. order it and some string and then started watching the videos at yotrick.com (or his youtube channel). so far I can do a side mount and the man on the trapeze but thats it.

I have trouble getting the yo you to return as he shows in his videos, He says, just give it a little slack and his yo yo returns right away. I have not been able to get my yo yo to consistently return when given slack, sometimes it catches sometimes it doesn't.  when doing the trapeze for example, I pull my hands apart to pop the yo yo up, but even if it has slack it does not return as his does.

So here are my ?s

-what am i doing wrong?

I tried to do a double side mount, but it seems that once i land it, the yo yo slows down too fast and by the time i unmount it there is not enough spin to get it to return.

-kickside, I am not sure it i made a good choice, should i have purchased a totally unresponsive yo yo instead? and just learned to do binds?

I kinda feel like I have hit a wall, with not being able to get the yo yo to consistently return.  walk the dog, rock the baby, and the man on the trapeze are my only possible moves.

any help is appreciated.

thanks!

** UPDATE **

Ok, through more practice I can now do the front mount and the brain scrambler.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:59:58 AM by Wannabe » Logged
hiltonking
The Nation

Re: New guy with some questions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:45:39 AM »

Here's what I did.  I got a Duncan Freehand 2.  (http://www.yoyonation.com/product.php?productid=17010&cat=131&page=1  It's sold out here, but I don't want to link to another store.)
I learned the mounts, trapeze, double or nothing, 1.5, trapeze and bro,  triple or nothing.  Started learning tricks.  Hurt my knuckles.  Didn't care. 

I think as a rule YYJs tend to be unresponsive. 

Feel free to learn binding.
Wannabe
The Nation

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 10:15:08 AM »

I think as a rule YYJs tend to be unresponsive. 

online the kickside was listed as having a hybrid response system, the rubber o-ring, and the starburst (raised bumps) on the other side.

correct me if i am wrong but i thought that a responsive yo-yo had some sort of response system (o-ring, starburst, friction stickers) and an unresponsive yo-yo had no response system and required a bind?
Graiskye
Just a guy who enjoys yoyos
Trade Count: (15)
The Nation

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:49:13 PM »

Wannabe, all you need do is lube the bearing a bit. For this you could even use a bit of vaseline, or any thick oil, just a wee bit of it on the bearing and that should give your yoyo the tug response your after.
 I say vaseline/petroleum jelly because most people have that in the house, if using it just get a bit on the end of your finger, just a little bit, about as much as a rice kernel and rub that into the side of the bearing, that wil give you a responsive bearing. You can also use YoYoJam thick lube, the thin lubes are for when you get into unresponsive play.
 have fun and good luck.

'Smile, your hobby is playing with a child's toy'
 -ReverendYo
'I think on these internet forums (and for kids at contests) the sport has become trading/buying and bragging about cool, rare yoyos than actually playing.'
-Wiggum
theTopo
Trade Count: (1)
The Nation

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »

correct me if i am wrong but i thought that a responsive yo-yo had some sort of response system (o-ring, starburst, friction stickers) and an unresponsive yo-yo had no response system and required a bind?

Almost all yo-yos have a response system. Non-responsive yo-yos still need a response system otherwise they wouldn't return even with a bind. The difference is the response in non-responsive yo-yos is less grippy. They usually also have a wider gap and use a clean or very lightly lubed bearing.

Wannabe
The Nation

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:45:46 PM »

Wannabe, all you need do is lube the bearing a bit. For this you could even use a bit of vaseline, or any thick oil, just a wee bit of it on the bearing and that should give your yoyo the tug response your after.
 I say vaseline/petroleum jelly because most people have that in the house, if using it just get a bit on the end of your finger, just a little bit, about as much as a rice kernel and rub that into the side of the bearing, that wil give you a responsive bearing. You can also use YoYoJam thick lube, the thin lubes are for when you get into unresponsive play.
 have fun and good luck.

thanks for the tip, I will give that a shot.
Wannabe
The Nation

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 09:46:24 PM »

Almost all yo-yos have a response system. Non-responsive yo-yos still need a response system otherwise they wouldn't return even with a bind. The difference is the response in non-responsive yo-yos is less grippy. They usually also have a wider gap and use a clean or very lightly lubed bearing.

thanks for clearing that up for me.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: