Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 03:20:50 PM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  YoYoNation  |  New to Yo-Yos and YoYoNation!  |  Noob Here...Just saying hi and looking for advice « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noob Here...Just saying hi and looking for advice  (Read 990 times)
midshipman01
Trade Count: (4)
The Nation

Noob Here...Just saying hi and looking for advice
« on: January 18, 2012, 06:10:03 AM »

Like the title, pretty much a noob. Well, I have been into yo'ing on and off for my entire life and can actually play responsive pretty well but I never was very serious about it nor did I ever really play around with string tricks. Just breakaways, around the worlds, loops, whatever. Didn't even know about the unresponsive revolution at all...but I have since vowed to become good.

However, I presently suck out loud. Been practicing with every spare moment and right now I'm focusing most of my attention on binds and finding ways to get to binds from simple tricks. Seems like the logical place to start. Every once in a while I tape just a few minutes of myself so I can see how it's looking and so I'll maybe have a record someday of how terrible I was when I started. Here is Day 3 of unresponsive training. Might be good for a laugh, but will most likely be boring. Highlights are at about 4:10 I actually hit both tricks I'm attempting (brain twister to bind and trapeze to back bind), about 6:10 when I get jiggy with it, and the King's Speech playing in the background throughout the entire video...which I felt was good, but ultimately undeserving of so much awards hype. Yo's used are first the 888x until it knots and then the Hspin Icon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or8tlqYg95Y#noexternalembed

Anyway, that's pretty much it. I'd love to hear any advice you might have about what you think would be a good way to go about getting better, early tricks that are important that I should learn, if I'm doing anything wrong above, or anything else. Besides that, I'll be around soaking up what I can. That's all folks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:10:52 AM by midshipman01 » Logged
BosK
Stay on target..
Trade Count: (21)
The Nation

Re: Noob Here...Just saying hi and looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 07:27:14 AM »

When you bind pinch the string slightly with your non throw hand.. this will help with getting the response to grip on the string.
If you do this (they call it a fake bind for some silly reason) you will be able to make the loop smaller  and you'll stop getting binds where the string is sticking out of the side of the yoyo
sloegoe
Trade Count: (61)
The Nation

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:37:03 PM »

best thing you can do is learn a routine that involves all the mounts, learn how they are linked and practice them until they are second nature.

http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php/topic,97119.0.html  I DON'T CARE one bit about ANNO Flaws or Pin Pricks so you don't have to mention them to me.
icthus
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:55:22 PM »

If you really are a midshipman then THANK YOU GOOD SIR!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: