Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 01:31:56 AM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  YoYoNation  |  New to Yo-Yos and YoYoNation!  |  my Yoyofactory One lost it's responsiveness within a few days (newbie here) « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: my Yoyofactory One lost it's responsiveness within a few days (newbie here)  (Read 1571 times)
Zoster
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

my Yoyofactory One lost it's responsiveness within a few days (newbie here)
« on: December 28, 2011, 08:56:56 PM »

Hey all !

New guy to yoyo-ing here. Bought a YYF One (http://www.yoyoskills.com/?p=7847) as a self-made preasent for christmas ( just to play around with it a bit and to my surprize this yoyo thing kinda cought me a lot more then expected Smiley )

Anyhoozle, the thing is i am using the shallow bearing for now, since i want to learn the basics (including looping stuff), and it felt great, but after a few hours of play (3 days playing with it around 1-2 hours/day i think), it lost quite a lot of it's response, meaning forward pass started to return a lot harder, and if i made it sleep, and gave it one or more tugs, it sometimes would just bounce around and not return unless i really accentuated the move.

the thing is after playing with it for some time, my finger was hurting quite bad from the string and i didn't want to stop, so i used a biking glove that i use to do maintainance on my bikes to make it less annoying. The glove was a bit greasy and i thought i contaminated the string and that's why it wouldn't respond so well anymore, so i cleaned both the o-rings and the string with dish soap, but it still didn't respond as well as before, so i went and bought a new string which made things better, but still not as before (it's especially frustrating when trying the forward pass which worked at quite low speeds before).

Now, i saw something on a thread about "breaking in", so maybe this is it, but what do you think, is this normal, was the reponse that i was getting before just because that's how it behaves when new, or can it be something else?

Thanks a lot for your support!
Boyen
Trade Count: (1)
The Nation

Re: my Yoyofactory One lost it's responsiveness within a few days (newbie here)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 09:22:55 PM »

It's probably your bearing.

A bearing comes from the factory with thick lube, but after some time it leaks out which decreases responsiveness. Thick lube needs to re-applied to make it responsive again. Alternatively you can try to double wrap the string around the bearing...

I'd take the opportunity and learn how to bind  Afro

Zoster
The Nation

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 10:29:42 PM »

hey, thanks!

the bearing didin't seem to come with any lube on it, but maybe...
i might try using some thick-ish bike lube, see how it works

for now i triple-looped the string and it works as i want it to, so hurray fot that
i'll try it with a double loop tomorrow.

thanks again!

ps: i'll definately learn to bind, but not yet, i still want to play around with looping  (the yoyo, not the string) Smiley
Boyen
The Nation

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:20:10 PM »

The lube is applied inside the bearing though, not on it. Most yoyos (unless specified) come with a lubed bearing.

I don't know about using lube for your bike, if I were you I'd ask if it's fit for yoyos in the modding section or so.
Zoster
The Nation

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 04:18:58 PM »

ok, thanks for pointing that out!

for now, the triple loop works great..

LATER EDIT:

can anyone explain how making more loops on the bearing makes the yoyo more responsive?
( i read thishttp://www.yoyowiki.org/wiki/Response_System] [url]http://www.yoyowiki.org/wiki/Response_System[/url] and i understand how the response mechanism works, but i don't really see how the number of loops influences the ability of the string to get caught by the silicone rings in my case...)

thanks!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:02:21 PM by Zoster » Logged
Boyen
The Nation

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 08:35:37 PM »

Friction makes a yoyo return, imagine that the string would be bound extremely tight around the bearing - the bearing spins when thrown so it would wind itself up. Each additional loop gives more tension/friction.

This is the way I explained it for myself though.. I don't have any source but it made sense to me.
Zoster
The Nation

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 08:53:25 PM »

hmmm, are you saying that the outer metal ring of the bearing compresses because of the additional loops and the bearing spins slower (hads more friction within it) ?
Boyen
The Nation

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 03:45:04 PM »

What I'm saying is that all types of friction cause the yoyo to return. Before bearings yoyo's had transaxles and fixed axles that returned without response systems but quite simply because eventually there was enough friction between the string and the axle. More string layers increase friction on the bearing, if you spin your bearing on the axle with and without the string on it - it makes a large difference already.
bucknaked
The Nation

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 11:36:09 PM »

Hello All,

New poster here with same problem with YYF ONE, just wondering if you can use  One Drop V4M Lube or do you have to use thick lube such as YoYoJam Lube (Thick) . to correct this problem.
Thanks in advance if anybody can shed some light.

The Joshinator
WARNING: Watch for Falling Essays.
Trade Count: (3)
The Nation

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 01:09:20 AM »

Thick lube will work best - V4M lube is designed to use the tiniest drop in a freshly cleaned bearing to quiet it down and reduce wear while keeping it UNresponsive.

"Can you do the Eiffel Tower?"
"Hmm... you mean this trick? (does it)"
"Yeah, that one! That's so co-"
"Nope, I can't. Sorry."

My BST

http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: