Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2017, 08:01:23 AM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  Other Skill Toys  |  What Diabolo Should I Get? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Diabolo Should I Get?  (Read 1922 times)
YOdudeJF03
Trade Count: (1)
The Nation

What Diabolo Should I Get?
« on: December 26, 2011, 12:53:35 AM »

So I started using a diabolo a couple of weeks ago and I really like it and I'm getting decent at it considering what I'm working with. I was chosen to be the star for the Chinese New Year celebration in January since I can yoyo so why not chinese yoyo. Right now I'm using a no name brand diabolo that my school bought, it's plastic with rubber edges and it came with horrible string. I would like to buy a better diabolo. I like the Higgins Brothers Lava Tek and the Mister Babache Medium Harlequin and the Duncan Phoenix looks pretty cool to. What would be a good diabolo to get that's under $25? And I would like to get some new sticks and was thinking about getting the Zeekio Deluxe Fiberglass sticks. Any thoughts?

mikenak1
Trade Count: (9)
The Nation

Michael Nakamura

Re: What Diabolo Should I Get?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 03:56:00 AM »

The best sticks that I've ever tried (I've tried tons of pairs in my experience) are the sundia carbon fiber. I've owned one pair for about 2 years and they hold up marvelously and are extremely light weight. if you prefer heavier sticks then i would highly recommend the henry's 41cm carbon fiber sticks. The taibolos are very good as well due to the rim weight for long spin times. My personal favorites are the sundia shining series, with fixed axles. It is a great diabolo that spins great and maneuvers through tricks very nicely.

YOdudeJF03
Trade Count: (1)
The Nation

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 03:41:33 PM »

How does the material they are made of effect play, soft rubber vs a harder plastic?
stupendous
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 12:37:14 PM »

The material a diabolo is made of doesn't really effect how it plays.  The harder plastic ones (sundia, spinabolo) can get scrapped up easier when they hit the ground, but they play great.  The rubbery ones (circus, finesse, phoenix) bounce more, and I like them for 2 diabolo play.

As for sticks.  Don't get fiberglass sticks.  Get carbon fiber from sundia or henry's.  Fiberglass break easier, and the carbon fiber sticks are more expensive but will last longer.

-Stu

Spin Doctors
Santa Cruz Yo-Yo Club
Will G
<3
Trade Count: (19)
The Nation

Lovesies

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »

Don't get a Duncan phoenix...just don't.

Wow, the youth of 21st century, having yoyo dreams, my dreams are either banging supermodels or my friend's mothers..
stupendous
The Nation

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 08:07:17 PM »

Don't get a Duncan phoenix...just don't.
Just out of curiosity, why do you say that? 

-Stu
Will G
<3
Trade Count: (19)
The Nation

Lovesies

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 08:26:21 PM »

Masses of vibe and wobble, shoddy axle system. The axle switching idea doesn't work in the first place. If you play em as bearings, they have a habit of locking up and turning fixed, and I've discovered, even as fixed axles, then can sometimes slip into bearings. With the way they are designed, when fully tightened, the cups move about, making them wobble a lot more than I like. Not to mention the spacers are really badly made, on all for of mine the metal part has separated and the plastics has cracked.
stupendous
The Nation

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 08:31:08 PM »

Yup.  That all sounds about right.  My biggest problem with the Phoenix is the bearing locking up.  I like it as a fixed axle diabolo, and the sticks aren't bad for beginners. 

-Stu
thomaswit
The Nation

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 08:38:41 AM »

I've heard alot of people who have said the same thing about the Phoenox. Personally i use the Spinabolo, I have use this one for nearly 10 years and i've only had to replace it once when i dropped it on the concrete like an idiot and it cracked. But it was about 8 years old at the time. Just my three cents.
ShadrCom3t
pneumonoultramicroscopicsili covolcanoconiosis
Trade Count: (17)
The Nation

time- there isn't enough of it

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 05:55:33 PM »

Because it's related:
I was thinking of getting a Sundia Fly Long Bearing Diabolo. I went to a juggling convention yesterday and I tried it out. I don't have a diabolo of my own but I learned lots of the basics already. I also do 4a, if that means anything.

How do aluminum sticks compare to carbon fiber?

How floaty is the 44?
Quote from: YoYoFactory

We measured it on a floaty-o-meter and it scored a 44.
stupendous
The Nation

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 06:58:28 PM »

The Sundia Fly Long Bearing Diabolo rocks!!

Comparing aluminum sticks to carbon fiber sicks is like comparing yo-yo string.  Both work great, but most diabolo players have a preference.  I like carbon for 1D and aluminum for 2D.

-Stu
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: