Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 03:13:13 PM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  For the Show-Offs: YoYo Showcase  |  Museum Of Yo-Yo History.  |  Who made the aluminum Duncan Wheel? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who made the aluminum Duncan Wheel?  (Read 2012 times)
Yo-dini
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

Who made the aluminum Duncan Wheel?
« on: December 01, 2011, 12:34:36 PM »

Trying to find out who was making the aluminum version of the Duncan Wheel back in the 1990s.
They were bare aluminum and had the actual Duncan Wheel caps pressed into the sides.
I remember they were highly sought after but I can't remember who was making them.
Anybody remember?
And any idea how many were made?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:09:25 PM by Yo-dini » Logged
oldyoyoguy
Trade Count: (40)
The Nation

You're as good as anybody and better than no one.

Re: Who made the aluminum Duncan Wheel?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 12:31:06 PM »

Trying to find out who was making the aluminum version of the Duncan Wheel back in the 1990s.
They were bare aluminum and had the actual Duncan Wheel caps pressed into the sides.
I remember they were highly sought after but I can't remember who was making them.
Anybody remember?
And any idea how many were made?

Just saw this.  That was Stan Zygo, who had been retrofitting bearings to Duncan Wheels previously, leading eventually to the development of the Freehand 1.  He first posted about it on Greg's board back in March of 2000.  Don't know how many were made, but enough that I've had one on two occasions.  Smiley
Yo-dini
The Nation

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 02:25:18 PM »

Thanks for that.
 Afro

Did he have a handle or nickname that he went by?
oldyoyoguy
Trade Count: (40)
The Nation

You're as good as anybody and better than no one.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:05:44 AM »

Did he have a handle or nickname that he went by?

Yes, it was yoyostan.
kyo
Trade Count: (11)
The Nation

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 01:14:29 AM »

Necro I suppose, but the thread hasn't moved down the board much so I'll post anyway Smiley

Some extra information about the history of the duncan wheel.. just because I can and I don't get to tell these stories that often Wink

In the late 90s guys like Stan Zygo, Mo Chavez, and various others started modding cheap Duncan Wheels to take bearings. I 'think' Stan was the first to do this, but it may have been Mo.. either way, it caught on.

Steve Brown had long liked the shape of the Wheel and took this idea and ran with it.. it led directly to the development of the original Freehand sometime around 2001 (I could be a little off on the date).

Stan, being a metal worker, at some point made an aluminum version of the wheel.. it was fairly crude/simple but they worked well. He originally sold a few directly, then was convinced to sell a handful through the yoyoguy store. They used spintastics guts at this point I believe.. though other versions existed.

I bought one and desperately wish I could find it now...

Stan kinda vanished from the yoyo world shortly after, and stopped making the metal wheels. Years later (~2003/4) somebody tried to buy my Stan Zygo aluminum wheel.. I refused, but it occurred to me that I could make them myself.. from that was born the Immortalis.. essentially a modernized copy of Stan's work.

Those early bearing wheels directly or indirectly led to a -ton- of yoyos... the fh, fh2, fhz, immortalis, world's metal zero (metal zero that predated the duncan one by about a year), the duncan metal zero, etc.

Kyle

You can argue with me if you want... but you'll still be wrong.
Yo-dini
The Nation

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 11:19:33 AM »

And thanks again.
 Afro

So Mo never made any himself?
I cant' remember where I got mine or whom I got it from but while I remember the name Mo Chavez -- "Stan Zygo" just isn't ringing any bells with me.
Sorry Stan.
 Embarrassed
jblack
The Nation

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »

Kyle - since we have your attention.  I was a big fan of the Immortalis - I recall there were supposed to be metal sidecaps, but mine came without and just pad printing.  Urban legend or was there something that never came to fruition?
kyo
Trade Count: (11)
The Nation

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »

Which version of the immortalis? The original never had caps, it was just engraved but it will accept certain duncan wheel caps (I forget which era, I think it's the old ones.. I didn't realize they had changed the sizing at the time)

The I2 was laser etched, and yes, originally did have metal caps. There was a machining error (and by that I mean I dimensioned it wrong.. doubled the thickness) and they ended up making the entire yoyo very heavy.

I actually do have an entire box of the metal sidecaps for the I2 if anybody is interested.. they're etched with the II logo I believe? I haven't looked at the box in quite some time but I know where it is..

Kyle
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:22:58 PM by kyo » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: