Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 03:15:49 PM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  YoYoNation  |  New to Yo-Yos and YoYoNation!  |  A novice and his yoyos « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A novice and his yoyos  (Read 2367 times)
dbfast201
Trade Count: (0)
The Nation

A novice and his yoyos
« on: November 22, 2011, 12:54:21 AM »

Back into yo-yoing after decades away, seriously going at it for the past month.

Favorite yo-yos thus far:

1) YYF Fast 201 (1-red, 2-blue)
Love the feel and weight of this one. Finally threw my first breakaway, landed my first trapeze and threw my first side-mount Around the World with it. The infamous noise doesn't bother me at all.

2) YYF Velocity (1-yellow, 2-red)
Truly impressive. Weight, shape, feel all a genuine pleasure. Gaining confidence with the trapeze on the Velocity, though as with the Fast 201, dismounts are still very much a work in progress.

3) Duncan FHZ (white, orange caps)

This yo actually arrived first, but was largely forgotten in my excitement over the Fast 201. I like it okay, but it's a distant third behind my two mainstays.

4) YYJ Lyn Fury (black/yellow)
I actually have stringing problems with the Lyn Fury. I get a jerky up motion when I wake the yo-yo. It's become a throw I use twice a week, if that.

5) (tie) Yomega Brain (green) Yomega Raider (purple)
6) YYJ Kickside
Like the problems I have with the Lyn Fury, only much worse. 70% of the time, I can't get a return. I'm not ready for unresponsive yet, so this one hasn't been used in almost two weeks.

On the way:
- Duncan Flying Squirrel (black/red)

Dave
MattB
Homebrew Affiliate.
Trade Count: (3)
The Nation

Re: A novice and his yoyos
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:01:12 PM »

Hey Dave,

Glad to see that you are having fun with it.  As you get into unresponsive, you might find that your list flip flops a bit, but there's no hurry.  It's not like you have to impress your buds, if you are yoyoing for the fun you get out of it.

The Lyn Fury's o-ring response will improve with use.  Or, if you can do a decent bind and like unresponsive play, I would recomend pulling out the o-rings and replacing with silicone gasket maker from the hardware/auto supply.  There are plenty of videos on how to silicone a yoyo recess.  It's kind of satisfying when you do this and find out how much you have improved your own yoyo.

(clickable)
dbfast201
The Nation

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:02:23 PM »

Glad to see that you are having fun with it.  As you get into unresponsive, you might find that your list flip flops a bit, but there's no hurry.  It's not like you have to impress your buds, if you are yoyoing for the fun you get out of it.

Thanks, Matt. That will be interesting, for sure. And yeah, definitely in no hurry, though it does get frustrating at times to still be missing the trapeze half the time, and having my dismounts go awry. It looks so simple, and yet when I just pull my hands apart while the yo-yo sleeps on the string, it either ends up flying up and to the right crazily,and just unraveling, or I end up having just enough control to do sort of a half-around-the world maneuver to bring it back to my hand. Whatever I'm doing, it doesn't look like it does in any video I've seen!

The Lyn Fury's o-ring response will improve with use.  Or, if you can do a decent bind and like unresponsive play, I would recomend pulling out the o-rings and replacing with silicone gasket maker from the hardware/auto supply.  There are plenty of videos on how to silicone a yoyo recess.  It's kind of satisfying when you do this and find out how much you have improved your own yoyo.

I've only tried binding a few times, and the results were pretty bad.  Grin I have the Yomega Mania DVD, and I've tried using the slo-mo and different angles to figure it out, but I know I'd need to concentrate on it to really get it. It's kind of a catch-22, I guess; the better I get at binding, the more I think I might like unresponsive, but until I get better at binding, I won't enjoy unresponsive. Weird.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:03:40 PM by dbfast201 » Logged
T4T3Z0R
I AM the Grue
Trade Count: (7)
The Nation

Mean Green Grinding Machine!

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:12:27 PM »

This might sound a bit bizzare but what finally made binding click for me was to not think about it as swinging the yoyo up and landing it on the string, but to thinking about it as bringing the non throw hand pointerfinger into the string and under the yoyo. hope that helps!

ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ive only heard this in rumour but apperently the irg can fit a well armed hobbit inside
dbfast201
The Nation

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 11:24:36 PM »

This might sound a bit bizzare but what finally made binding click for me was to not think about it as swinging the yoyo up and landing it on the string, but to thinking about it as bringing the non throw hand pointerfinger into the string and under the yoyo. hope that helps!

Ahh -- hadn't thought of it that way. Later tonight I'll try it again, and think of it in that context. Thanks!
need-a-bow
Trade Count: (3)
The Nation

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 12:00:46 AM »

That's how I figured out binding. And don't worry of you have a hard time throwing a trapeze, I learned split the atom and Mach 5 before I could land a good trapeze. I've been throwing for around 2 months now and I'm having a blast

Graiskye
Just a guy who enjoys yoyos
Trade Count: (15)
The Nation

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 01:47:08 AM »

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun, that's the main objective.
I too jumped back into yo after decades away, just last December, so I know well your frustrations, but I also know the joys that  you have coming your way.
 Just keep throwing, you will get that trapeze, then you'll be going for 2 or 0, commonly referred to as double or nothing. These seemed impossibly hard to me when I first got going, impossible, One and a half mount, 'forget it', never happen, I thought Id probably just never learn that mount, I'm not kidding, it just seemed impossible to me.
 That all passes, I'm starting to work on  tricks like Superman, and Candy Rain is another I am working on, its tough... I'm not saying this to impress, just to give some context I guess.
 I haven't trained hard at it, but have had a lot of fun.
 I  manage to throw quite a bit some days, some days just a couple of throws if I can ?
I would say I am probably average skill, but again, throwing yoyo is fun for me.
 Here is too much success your first year back in the yoyo game dbfast201, have faith you'll be nailing traps like nothing in a month or two.
My advice to you is too work on a a good strong/smooth breakaway throw, do not worry so much about power for now, but work for a nice consistent release, and smooth throw and catch. You might watch videos of people throwing breakaways, there's many different styles, of course, you didn't expect this too be easy did you ? Lol, its work learning to throw well, and the breakaway will end up being your bread and butter right, I'm no pro, but watch the pros, watch how they release, its all in the throw.
Good luck brother.
 Peace.

'Smile, your hobby is playing with a child's toy'
 -ReverendYo
'I think on these internet forums (and for kids at contests) the sport has become trading/buying and bragging about cool, rare yoyos than actually playing.'
-Wiggum
dbfast201
The Nation

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 02:08:49 AM »

That's how I figured out binding. And don't worry of you have a hard time throwing a trapeze, I learned split the atom and Mach 5 before I could land a good trapeze. I've been throwing for around 2 months now and I'm having a blast

Oh man. Split the Atom just looks unfathomable to me!
dbfast201
The Nation

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 02:19:15 AM »

Here is too much success your first year back in the yoyo game dbfast201, have faith you'll be nailing traps like nothing in a month or two.

Thanks! I am having fun, and throw every day.

My advice to you is too work on a a good strong/smooth breakaway throw, do not worry so much about power for now, but work for a nice consistent release, and smooth throw and catch. You might watch videos of people throwing breakaways, there's many different styles, of course, you didn't expect this too be easy did you ? Lol, its work learning to throw well, and the breakaway will end up being your bread and butter right, I'm no pro, but watch the pros, watch how they release, its all in the throw.

I am seeing that this seems to be the key. Sometimes my breakaways are crooked, and so even when I catch the yo on the string, it falls off to the side. I also notice that sometimes I catch the throw high -- at eye level or higher. Actually the yo rarely seems to come back to me at a waist-high position like I've seen in videos. I tend to catch it at about chest-level. I hope I'm not too far off.

On another note, one thing I'd like to be able to do is one of the string-adjusting tricks. I've tried them, but I end up having to take the string off my finger, let it untwist and wind the long way. I suspect that some of my throwing problems come from having string that's twisted badly, because I don't always want to stop and rewind it.

Good luck brother.

Thanks again, and peace to you.

Graiskye
Just a guy who enjoys yoyos
Trade Count: (15)
The Nation

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 01:11:49 AM »

Ok Link time,  these are few of my  favorite sites for any help of  a visual nature I may need.
 First is Kyle Wheems(sorry if misspelled), his site is called ReThink and has some great stuff for real beginners, he will show you how to throw a perfect breakaway, and I think he even uses a velocity in that vid.
More importantly he offers a video on dealing with string tension(a 'Level 2' trick) and a few different ways that he deals with it(there different way to do everything yoyo trust me). Great stuff for new throwers.....
http://www.rethinkyoyo.com/tricks-by-difficulty.html
 A link to the page where he lists all the trick difficulties.
 The other is HYSYY, or HighSpeedYoYo. They have great stuff too...tons of great high speed camera footage of tricks that can then be viewed in super low mo. Brett also does actual tutorials with instruction, they are offered through the One Drop yoyo forum
http://www.highspeedyoyo.com/videos
 Lastly but certainly not least YYN own YoyoTV Has some great learning material. I included a link to the page where they start...http://www.youtube.com/user/yoyonation?feature=mhum%23g/p
 Confused yet ?
 Don't worry just ask questions about things no one will bite.
Peace.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:23:01 AM by Graiskye » Logged
dbfast201
The Nation

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 01:36:18 AM »

Ok Link time,  these are few of my  favorite sites for any help of  a visual nature I may need.
 First is Kyle Wheems(sorry if misspelled), his site is called ReThink and has some great stuff for real beginners, he will show you how to throw a perfect breakaway, and I think he even uses a velocity in that vid.
More importantly he offers a video on dealing with string tension(a 'Level 2' trick) and a few different ways that he deals with it(there different way to do everything yoyo trust me). Great stuff for new throwers.....
http://www.rethinkyoyo.com/tricks-by-difficulty.html

Whoa -- VERY cool. Just watching the trapeze, I'm learning subtle things about the dismount that should help. I'll definitely try the string tension stuff, too, though who knows how long it'll be before I catch on  coolsmiley

The other is HYSYY, or HighSpeedYoYo. They have great stuff too...tons of great high speed camera footage of tricks that can then be viewed in super low mo. Brett also does actual tutorials with instruction, they are offered through the One Drop yoyo forum
http://www.highspeedyoyo.com/videos
 Lastly but certainly not least YYN own YoyoTV Has some great learning material. I included a link to the page where they start...http://www.youtube.com/user/yoyonation?feature=mhum%23g/p
 Confused yet ?
 Don't worry just ask questions about things no one will bite.
Peace.

Excellent. All of this stuff is understated, very useful. Thanks again, Graiskye.

Tonight I tried out my Duncan Flying Squirrel, and really like it. Very comfortable in my hand, just the right degree of responsiveness (which at this stage for me is still quite responsive). Been mostly doing breakaways, very enjoyable. I tried a few trapezes, and landed all but one of them. Still not getting that quick, snappy dismount, but nothing disastrous either. As of now I'd rank it my third-favorite throw, after the Fast 201 and the Velocity.

Dave

dbfast201
The Nation

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 11:40:38 PM »

Grin

Well, after what seemed like an eternity, I finally landed my first few smooth basic front mounts (thread the needle style) using my yellow Velocity. Love that thing. I realized the problem all along was my sleeper, which always tended to tilt to the right, for reasons I could never figure out. Finally I tried to compensate for rightward tilt by angling the yo-yo to the left to some degree, and I finally got a straight sleeper. With that, I could finally get the thread into the back of the spinning yo-yo and execute the maneuver. Sheesh!

I know the next step from here is just to keep throwing until a) the sleeper is perfect without my having to think about it and b) the front bottom mount can be done quickly and consistently.

Just for the sake of inspiration, though, wondering what the basic front mount leads to for most people. (Or at least the average person.)

Dave
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 12:03:13 AM by dbfast201 » Logged
vegabomb
L.J. Hurley
Trade Count: (165)
The Nation

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 11:58:22 PM »

Just for the sake of inspiration, though, wondering what the front bottom mount leads to for most people. (Or at least the average person.)

Dave

Hey Dave. Sounds like you are progressing nicely. A great trick to learn from the split bottom mount is barrel rolls (also called atomic bomb). Utube has many tutorials I'm sure. I'm on an iPad so linking to one is a bit more difficult. (for me anyway Smiley)

Let me know if you can't find one.

For all your yoyo ordering needs please contact the good people at yoyonation towers..

info@yoyonation.com
dbfast201
The Nation

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 12:04:33 AM »

Just for the sake of inspiration, though, wondering what the front bottom mount leads to for most people. (Or at least the average person.)

Dave

Hey Dave. Sounds like you are progressing nicely. A great trick to learn from the split bottom mount is barrel rolls (also called atomic bomb). Utube has many tutorials I'm sure. I'm on an iPad so linking to one is a bit more difficult. (for me anyway Smiley)

Let me know if you can't find one.

Ah...thanks, Vegabomb. I'll check out the atomic bomb..
dbfast201
The Nation

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 11:49:42 AM »

Question -- is the basic front mount a good way to bind? A few times I inadvertently brought the yo-yo back to me before I intended to, after I'd threaded the string into the back of it and was about to set up the mount.

Boyen
Trade Count: (1)
The Nation

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 01:58:47 PM »

I'm not sure which mount you mean. The front mount is this one: http://www.yoyowiki.org/wiki/Front_Mount so basically the mount you get into before braintwister. It's not a good way to bind though see:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2201134_do-binding-yoyo-returns.html for more information on it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 01:59:34 PM by Boyen » Logged

dbfast201
The Nation

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 11:11:19 PM »

I'm not sure which mount you mean. The front mount is this one: http://www.yoyowiki.org/wiki/Front_Mount so basically the mount you get into before braintwister. It's not a good way to bind though see:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2201134_do-binding-yoyo-returns.html for more information on it.

Oh, I see. I'm referring to the kind of front mount called "thread the needle" (at least that's how it was referred to on the Yomega YoMania DVD). Helpful Andre Boulay vid there, though, which answers my question. Thanks.
dbfast201
The Nation

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 04:15:50 PM »

I've been having some fun with looping (now that I can actually do a few), mostly with the Spintastics Technic. After some searches, I've been surprised that the Technic hasn't been mentioned more in "What's the best looping yo-yo" threads. I'm assuming the 720 or some other yo-yo surpassed it at some point, but I really enjoy it.  cool

Anybody else see it as a great yo-yo for beginning loopers?

I've also had looping success with the Saber Raider, which also seems to be pretty lightly regarded on this board.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:58:44 AM by dbfast201 » Logged
dbfast201
The Nation

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 03:18:22 PM »

After some searches, I've been surprised that the Technic hasn't been mentioned more in "What's the best looping yo-yo" threads. I'm assuming the 720 or some other yo-yo surpassed it at some point, but I really enjoy it.  Anybody else see it as a great yo-yo for beginning loopers?

Hmm. I'm going to assume the answer is no.  tongue

Meanwhile, I was doing some looping with my new Raider last night; it's right up there with the Technic, I think. I matched my (modest) high for loops, with four.

Went back to Fast 201 and the One for more trapeze practice. I still don't get the "snap" on my flyaway dismounts, so I guess I'll have to be content with a less interesting way out of the trick. I just bounce the yo-yo into kind of a swinging dismount before I tug it back to my hand.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: