Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 03:22:13 PM
1132382 Posts in 84281 Topics by 44956 Members
Latest Member: toastydoc

YoYoNation is in Archive mode for search and historical purposes.  Posting and commenting is disabled.
Home Help Search Login Register
YoYo Nation.com - Voice of the Nation  |  Voice of the Nation  |  YoYoNation  |  New to Yo-Yos and YoYoNation!  |  String Length « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: String Length  (Read 1301 times)
Boyen
Trade Count: (1)
The Nation

String Length
« on: September 07, 2011, 10:35:28 AM »

So yesterday I took a new string and I decided to alter the length a bit. So the usual adviced string length is from belly button till the ground. Atleast that's what I gather on the internet, I'm 1.85m tall so I guess that's 1 meter or a little more.

I only made it about 10cm shorter than usual. But I personally find it to be playing a lot swifter and smoother because the motions are much shorter. I also won't hit the ground anymore. Are there any downsides to making the string shorter?

tkdlaxer
I love throwing, keeps the hands busy, but lets the mind wander
Trade Count: (2)
The Nation

Re: String Length
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 11:14:17 AM »

You don't have a lot of extra for slack tricks, or tricks that require multiple wraps of string around stuff.
theTopo
Trade Count: (1)
The Nation

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 12:55:43 PM »

Does shorter string also mean less spin time?
Graiskye
Just a guy who enjoys yoyos
Trade Count: (15)
The Nation

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 03:24:13 PM »

I started to play really long strings, about a month or two into my yoyo journey(I have been throwing for just coming up to a year), anyways I thought the longer string was more comfortable, etc, etc...
 So I was having to make my own strings because the hilites seemed so freaking short.
 This past week, in a yoyo I received from a freind, he included a half dozen 'Japanese' hiLites, so I threw a couple on my throws, and proceeded to try to use these shorter strings (btw I was making the slip knot at almost nipple height, so like 8 inches longer than the belly button measurement), what I discovered was a nice surprise, I dont need the super long string, I do like it a bit longer than the belly button, a couple three inches now, but the shorter string makes whips easier, and overall play is smoother and faster.
 Still experimenting of course, but I am liking this bit shorter string idea I s=discovered, thanks to Nick.
Thanks again Nick.
Peace all.

'Smile, your hobby is playing with a child's toy'
 -ReverendYo
'I think on these internet forums (and for kids at contests) the sport has become trading/buying and bragging about cool, rare yoyos than actually playing.'
-Wiggum
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: