Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Developments in the world of yoyos  (Read 3182 times)

jperrotti

• The Nation
Developments in the world of yoyos
« on: May 19, 2011, 08:45:45 PM »
Since my last post was removed because I asked for some advice on what the best sites, brands, etc was, let me rephrase my question:
I have been gone for a year or so from yoyoing- what are some new developments that have occured since then?  What are some sites/yoyo companies/tricks that you would encourage me to check out?

ShaunC

• Ditch Down Crew
  • The Nation
  • from Hell...
Re: Developments in the world of yoyos
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:17:57 PM »
Besides right here, Yoyoskills.com.

As far as new innovations, Side Effects, hands down.
"One day men will look back and say i gave birth to the twentieth century"

Mike.Gleockner

• Vsnick
  • The Nation
  • VsNYYC Representin
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 09:23:24 PM »
id have to agree that side effects are a large development  but besides that nothing has really changed

id check yyf's site they usually have vids on whats going on lately

A bro with no haters is a bro whos never stood up for anything in his life

mgodinez

• Seattle, WA
  • The Nation
  • i smoke and yo at the same time...
    • home of godinez...
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
biggest innovation in yo yoin' in the last 3 years - responsive play.

mgodinez

cloudy...

Hyped

• The Nation
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 09:11:40 AM »
Avalanche
VS newton
Jensen Kimmit
Marcus Koh
Christopher Chia
Side effects
Alot of cool New YoyoJams

That about sums it up.

wolfman

• Vengful Vegan
  • The Nation
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 11:09:20 AM »
Also, the folks at YYN created a youtube channel, yoyo.tv, with all kinds of good stuff.

jperrotti

• The Nation
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Thanks! Im thinking I may need to open the wallet for something with side affects

NKessler

• The Nation
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 09:39:52 PM »
Thanks! Im thinking I may need to open the wallet for something with side affects

Snag up a CODE1 while you still can.  They're in stock at *other store*.com still, but won't be for long.  I've got to say, the CODE1 is one of the best throws I've ever played with.  I've had a really hard time putting it down and an even harder time picking up any of my other yoyos.  I'm considering getting rid of everything but my Sasquatch, Battosai, YFactor, 54, Quark, and, of course, CODE1.  A yoyo has never made me want to thin down my collection before.  The CODE1 really is something special.

yoyofactoryben

• The Nation
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 11:09:59 PM »
A yoyo with a motor isn't worth a mention?
This account is no longer active. Please contact by email.

ShaunC

• Ditch Down Crew
  • The Nation
  • from Hell...
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 11:12:28 PM »

Sure, but it's more of a novelty.

Mike.Gleockner

• Vsnick
  • The Nation
  • VsNYYC Representin
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 10:52:59 AM »

Ben is right but i think it has a ways to go before really being perfected

JonRob

• DE's FINEST
  • The Nation
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 11:41:21 AM »

I would say the same thing about Side Effects.

ShaunC

• Ditch Down Crew
  • The Nation
  • from Hell...
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 11:51:31 AM »

I would say the same thing about Side Effects.

Totally disagree. Sure, the lego's are novelty, but the weight customization of the various domes and spikes and the stunt pegs give you a lot of options. I think they're very practical.

JonRob

• DE's FINEST
  • The Nation
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 12:23:23 PM »
IMO a practical innovation that actually helps play and performance would be something like the Loop 900.  I see side effects as a novelty or a fun feature to play around with... I throw it into the same bag as The Brian, Hub-stacks, the motorized yoyo, and those yoyos that change into lots of crazy shapes.  They are fun to play around with, but I just dont get how they help or improve the yoyos performance and they would get old to me after a while just like any other gimmick type yoyo and accessories.

Mike.Gleockner

• Vsnick
  • The Nation
  • VsNYYC Representin
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 12:44:33 PM »
IMO a practical innovation that actually helps play and performance would be something like the Loop 900.  I see side effects as a novelty or a fun feature to play around with... I throw it into the same bag as The Brian, Hub-stacks, the motorized yoyo, and those yoyos that change into lots of crazy shapes.  They are fun to play around with, but I just dont get how they help or improve the yoyos performance and they would get old to me after a while just like any other gimmick type yoyo and accessories.

Jon I respectfully disagree..... being able to customize a yoyo to your preference definetly helps with performance.....if your playing with a yoyo that is at your particular preference you will most likely play better

YoMattSta

• Matt Kolbrener
  • The Nation
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 02:36:41 PM »
If side effects help your play, it's all in your head.
G-String is a hype beast.

JonRob

• DE's FINEST
  • The Nation
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »
Jon I respectfully disagree..... being able to customize a yoyo to your preference definetly helps with performance.....if your playing with a yoyo that is at your particular preference you will most likely play better

Im not really talking about player preference.  Im more talking about the physics (the little bit that I know)

Basically, side effects are fun for some people to fool around with.  Do they change the weight of the yoyo?  Sure.  Are they new and innovative? Not really.  Does the ability to change the center weight help the yoyos performance?  IMO not enough to call it the best new innovation since ball bearings.

Mike.Gleockner

• Vsnick
  • The Nation
  • VsNYYC Representin
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 03:01:10 PM »
If side effects help your play, it's all in your head.

well youve been trolling lately soo ill just ignore that

da5id

• Manufacturer
  • The Nation
  • One Drop YoYos
    • One Drop YoYos
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 03:33:43 PM »

Im not really talking about player preference.  Im more talking about the physics (the little bit that I know)

Basically, side effects are fun for some people to fool around with.  Do they change the weight of the yoyo?  Sure.  Are they new and innovative? Not really.  Does the ability to change the center weight help the yoyos performance?  IMO not enough to call it the best new innovation since ball bearings.

It's not just center weight.  It changes the weight distribution but I wouldn't expect you to understand that.  If you look at the real world use this benefit is proving out as players are choosing different weights for the same yoyo and have strong preference for it.   It opens up functional changes like adding side bearings or stunt pegs for example all without effecting the balance and giving the option to remove those and bring it back to the weight you like.  Players also enjoy changing the aesthetic of the yo-yo.  There are many benefits to Side Effects over the traditional axle system.  And they are indeed new. Show me where taper lock was used previously in an axle system?

I know you will forever be a One Drop hater so your comments here and not surprising or unexpected (although I thought we moved beyond that when we shared some brandy at Worlds).  They are also short-sighted and lack understanding of the innovation - again not unexpected since I'm sure you don't own a Side Effect yoyo :)  

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 03:37:16 PM by da5id »

ibanezcollector

• The Nation
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 03:43:19 PM »

Im not really talking about player preference.  Im more talking about the physics (the little bit that I know)

Basically, side effects are fun for some people to fool around with.  Do they change the weight of the yoyo?  Sure.  Are they new and innovative? Not really.  Does the ability to change the center weight help the yoyos performance?  IMO not enough to call it the best new innovation since ball bearings.

It's not just center weight.  It changes the weight distribution but I wouldn't expect you to understand that.  If you look at the real world use this benefit is proving out as players are choosing different weights for the same yoyo and have strong preference for it.   It opens up functional changes like adding side bearings or stunt pegs for example all without effecting the balance and giving the option to remove those and bring it back to the weight you like.  Players also enjoy changing the aesthetic of the yo-yo.  There are many benefits to Side Effects over the traditional axle system.  And they are indeed new. Show me where taper lock was used previously in an axle system?

I know you will forever be a One Drop hater so your comments here and not surprising or unexpected (although I thought we moved beyond that when we shared some brandy at Worlds).  They are also short-sighted and lack understanding of the innovation - again not unexpected since I'm sure you don't own a Side Effect yoyo :)  

that read so well I felt it needed to be seen again!
Quote from: yoyochucker
One of a kind is not all that matters. I can draw a picture of a dog chasing a rat who is pissing on a cat... sure its one of a kind but no one will want it.  O0