Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 5A discussion  (Read 23963 times)

hadoq

• yoyo-france.net - french yoyo blog&news
  • The Nation
    • yoyo-france.net
Re: 5A discussion
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2011, 11:15:57 AM »
i still don't understand why everybody uses dice, haha.

also, yoooooooooooooo
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxj38wOFjoQ[/youtube]

actually me neither, why dices ?

now I got dices and they're easy to drill, but I don't intend to exclusively use dices, I'm pretty sure someone can come up with something better but wait... there's a patent.

so that probably why, because we're not getting anything else

not a fan of what I've seen from Jap Nationals in 5A, 4A killed them all

every time I watch comp videos I feel I see the same tricks, only faster or smoother or horizontal etc... really not a fan I respect the hard work, I probably never get to this level, but artistically I'm not a fan, I really like jon rob stuff, or double dice, new stuff, there's a german guy, Pac, who's also doing some interesting things in 5A. I have to say I like 5a not for what it is, but for what it could be, fortunately, some guys are working hard to create new stuff everyday. I'm pretty sure 5A will change and evolve a lot in the next months/years.

Excaliborg

• The Nation
  • 1A->5A Everyday
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 04:35:14 PM »

I have not liked my G5 since I got it until I started using it for DD play today. After seeing that interview with Iskandar Shah I knew that I wanted some sort of DD setup to practice on.

After I get some DD combos made I might try to post a video or something. These amazing videos being posted keep reminding me that I need to throw 5a more often.

what are the size/weight on your DD set ups ? I'm asking because I ordered a set of nice dices online, but they're rather small and fairly light, and since I barely can do anything in DD, I don't know how "right" or "wrong" my setup is

also here's a "tip" for DD, the sliding dice should be heavier than the end dice, got the tip from the master himself (well I tried at home then asked for confirmation)
My DD setup on the G5 is whatever 2 duncan dice weigh. The Genesis and Y Factor have 2 undersized dice on them that are both in the loop (no sliding die) and the combined weight feels lighter than a duncan die (I don't have a scale though so I couldn't tell you how much the 2 die setup weight varies from the 1 duncan die setup weight).

In my case the more I play 5a the less I hit my hands with the CW, but when it does happen it still hurts. If I pay attention when I am practicing I can usually roll the die away with a wrap or move my hand before a serious impact can happen in most cases.

LynFuie

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2011, 05:22:28 PM »
i still don't understand why everybody uses dice, haha.

I still don't understand how you use counterweights that are half the weight of the yo-yo. Lol.

hadoq

• The Nation
    • yoyo-france.net
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2011, 12:39:19 AM »

I have not liked my G5 since I got it until I started using it for DD play today. After seeing that interview with Iskandar Shah I knew that I wanted some sort of DD setup to practice on.

After I get some DD combos made I might try to post a video or something. These amazing videos being posted keep reminding me that I need to throw 5a more often.

what are the size/weight on your DD set ups ? I'm asking because I ordered a set of nice dices online, but they're rather small and fairly light, and since I barely can do anything in DD, I don't know how "right" or "wrong" my setup is

also here's a "tip" for DD, the sliding dice should be heavier than the end dice, got the tip from the master himself (well I tried at home then asked for confirmation)
My DD setup on the G5 is whatever 2 duncan dice weigh. The Genesis and Y Factor have 2 undersized dice on them that are both in the loop (no sliding die) and the combined weight feels lighter than a duncan die (I don't have a scale though so I couldn't tell you how much the 2 die setup weight varies from the 1 duncan die setup weight).

In my case the more I play 5a the less I hit my hands with the CW, but when it does happen it still hurts. If I pay attention when I am practicing I can usually roll the die away with a wrap or move my hand before a serious impact can happen in most cases.

about the only time I hit my hand with the CW is when I do that pendulum trick which I don't do very often

drewtetz

• Two-Headed Boy
  • The Nation
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2011, 08:28:33 AM »
i'm always hittin' myself in the hands and the arms and the legs and the face. it's an inevitability for me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKWhrL6FyGM[/youtube]

best little takeshi freestyle ever? i loved it.

DavidMolnar

• The Nation
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 04:37:49 AM »
I prefer dice. Balls are too light for me. However I use my home made dice from a D30 :) and I also love the clear ones.( If anyone happen to have some, and would like to trade or sell pls pm me  :) )

Dafni

• The Nation
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2011, 04:56:45 AM »

oh man, that was intense. crazy. that boy'll go places

JonRob

• DE's FINEST
  • The Nation
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2011, 01:16:40 PM »
I want to put this here for documentation and organization purposes.  Hella fresh 5A!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv1LqIrVkP4#noexternalembed&feature=player_embedded

ze9o

• The Nation
  • The Nation
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
thats cool..
96% of people don't have this as their signature, if you are one of the other 4% save this as your signature

Hollandyo

• cthulhu fhtagn
  • The Nation
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2011, 12:15:59 AM »
Maybe this is the wrong thread to ask in, but here goes nothin'. Anyone have some recommendations on some good tricks to learn for starting 5a? I've always loved it but can't really do much.
esotericorderofvegon.tumblr.com

Elephark

• Moderately Yabai
  • Your friendly Admin!
  • The Nation
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2011, 12:27:18 AM »
Here's a pretty good place to start.

Hollandyo

• cthulhu fhtagn
  • The Nation
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2011, 12:38:24 AM »
Here's a pretty good place to start.

Wow that's great! Thanks for that  O0 maybe op should edit his original post and put that in there, it seems fitting for the thread.

Elephark

• Moderately Yabai
  • Your friendly Admin!
  • The Nation
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2011, 12:57:48 AM »
It's already linked in a sticky in this subforum. Said sticky is dedicated to starting up 5A. You may find it helpful, I dunno...?

hadoq

• The Nation
    • yoyo-france.net
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2011, 03:43:42 AM »
i'm always hittin' myself in the hands and the arms and the legs and the face. it's an inevitability for me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKWhrL6FyGM[/youtube]

he's really good and fairly fresh, I love this kid (hope this didn't come out wrong) so talented, he's the future of 5A for sure

JonRob

• DE's FINEST
  • The Nation
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2011, 03:45:18 PM »
he's really good and fairly fresh, I love this kid (hope this didn't come out wrong) so talented, he's the future of 5A for sure

lil Takeshi is very talented... but there isnt much that is "fresh" about him.  He has been doing pretty much the same tricks and combos for the last two years.  Is he the future of 5A?  I dont know...  you could defiantly say he is the present.  Him and Takuma are the gold standard for competitive 5A in the world.   

JonRob

• DE's FINEST
  • The Nation
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »
This is fresh.... 
http://vimeo.com/23960025

Schnayke

• The Nation
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2011, 04:17:52 PM »
I don't compete, so I don't call what I do 5A offten.  I call it freehand.  What I do is defently a combo of 5A and 1A. 
This is my most recent video but it is all "B" footage from a single trick blog I have going. 
Basicly I am trying to get my yoyoing so I don't have any defined combo's or what most people call tricks.  I learn elements and practice linking them.  90% of the time I don't know what is going to happen till I throw the yoyo. 
years ago I was talking with a judge, and they in basic terms told me to score high you need to move the counterweight and yoyo at the same time, and always be moving them.   simular to 2A.  If I was to compete I would build my freestyle with 2A in mind, but not any 2A tricks, just the basic what 2A looks like to watch. 
http://vimeo.com/19504912

hadoq

• The Nation
    • yoyo-france.net
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2011, 01:16:22 AM »

lil Takeshi is very talented... but there isnt much that is "fresh" about him.  He has been doing pretty much the same tricks and combos for the last two years.  Is he the future of 5A?  I dont know...  you could defiantly say he is the present.  Him and Takuma are the gold standard for competitive 5A in the world.  

actually you're on top of my list in 5A right up there, your stuff is fresh and definitely an inspiration

but Takeshi is only 13 or 14, he doesn't have the culture you obviously have, but he already got the skills, he'll develop over time as he'll grow bigger, now he's just a pre-teen, a blank page, once he grows up and develop some cultural references he'll get inspired. that was in my mind when I wrote "he's the future"

nice vid you posted, I've seen it already tho, and I just prefer your style by very far, to me you have the best looking single dice 5A around, but then again, this kind of stuff is totally subjective and I do not take competitions into consideration, just "ok I like how it looks" or "meh, I don't like how it looks"

jonrob #1 you're very close to have your poster in my room like I was a teenage girl just love your 5A man
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:20:31 AM by hadoq »

Hollandyo

• cthulhu fhtagn
  • The Nation
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2011, 09:40:05 PM »
MFW I realized that 5a isn't harder than 1a just different.

Feels great.

Also I can't wait to see freestyles of ECC!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:40:27 PM by Hollandyo »

drewtetz

• Two-Headed Boy
  • The Nation
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2011, 12:08:58 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwV2Gka-Qro[/youtube]