Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 5A discussion  (Read 23938 times)

202andrew

• Yeah Buddy
  • The Nation
  • Vs Newton
Re: 5A discussion
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »
Woah, that was crazy!

Elephark

• Moderately Yabai
  • Your friendly Admin!
  • The Nation
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 04:08:39 PM »
i'm interested to see what jacob is doing with e-fans.
You've already seen the core of it. Most of the rest is fleshing it out, cataloguing variations, and putting pieces together.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RNvTioGHgw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb6ya0cKH1o[/youtube]

e-fan seems like kind of a sticky subject like, it's pretty deep in the foundation of competition 5A, but it seems like most of the players i've talked to do it out of necessity rather than out of any sort of love for the trick. can e-fan be saved?! does it need to be?
I suppose the real question is, is it worth saving? I mean, it'd be so much easier to just write it off and focus more energy on tricks that haven't been carrying such strong negative connotations for so long.

JonRob

• DE's FINEST
  • The Nation
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »
damn... Elephark!  Im really feeling the concept of binding/regenerating the yoyo while the counter weight is in motion like that.    :-o

ze9o

• The Nation
  • The Nation
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 07:17:22 PM »
Is sterling going??
96% of people don't have this as their signature, if you are one of the other 4% save this as your signature

JonRob

• DE's FINEST
  • The Nation
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 04:56:54 AM »
Is sterling going??
to BAC... Last time I heard, No.  to ECC...  Im not sure.

drewtetz

• Two-Headed Boy
  • The Nation
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 07:59:22 AM »
@mark you should play! i bet you'd have some real sweet stuff. as far as wraps go, i've had a few, but i don't know if they're really what you're looking for. also, i don't know how to make those external embed tags go away, but i think they're kind of funny so i'm not gonna mess with them.

also, elliot's countermetre is a classic example of 31st century wrapnology, and everybody should watch it all the time.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVEcH0OxOqs[/youtube]

jonrob's e-fan is super solid, as is to be expected... but like you said, it's got a lot more variation than the average combo. a worthy example for all looking to step their game up...

i think the most depressing kind of e-fan is the "pinwheel the cw the same direction for 30 seconds while doing a right-handed 1A combo." variety. obviously, e-fan's been around long enough for people to develop some useful elements, so it's a bit over-the-top to want to destroy it entirely, but if you don't even have a direction change... well. you know.

i've said it before, but i love the new stuff, 'phark. incorporating moves into the throw gives the trick such a weird (and awesome!) rhythm. would love to see more...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:19:27 AM by drewtetz »

SimonUK

• The Nation
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 08:50:15 AM »
Has anyone got tylers 2006 worlds 5a video? I've been searcching for ages to attempt to find it
what is a flyaway dismount?

And this ladies and gentleman is proof that response is dead :(

drewtetz

• Two-Headed Boy
  • The Nation
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SODAzrSBjdw[/youtube]

cw wrap transition to a miggy trick. the interesting part about this for me is moving the yo-yo from the outside to the inside when going from the pinwheels to the wrap.

hadoq

• yoyo-france.net - french yoyo blog&news
  • The Nation
    • yoyo-france.net
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2011, 04:57:47 AM »
some genuine epicness on this thread, 5A is the future and what's cool about it is that everything's to build, people are going in thousands of different directions and pretty much everything is so nice to watch

I'll subscribe to this win thread for sure !

PS: jon -> been a fan from day one
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 05:14:02 AM by hadoq »

Excaliborg

• The Nation
  • 1A->5A Everyday
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 02:13:33 PM »

I have not liked my G5 since I got it until I started using it for DD play today. After seeing that interview with Iskandar Shah I knew that I wanted some sort of DD setup to practice on.

After I get some DD combos made I might try to post a video or something. These amazing videos being posted keep reminding me that I need to throw 5a more often.

LynFuie

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 04:02:44 PM »
Hey, that's a pretty good idea. I'll post a picture of my 5A set ups..

Elephark

• Moderately Yabai
  • Your friendly Admin!
  • The Nation
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 04:26:59 PM »
I'm trying to focus on 3A, but 5A keeps distracting me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qljf7ow46ag[/youtube]

hadoq

• The Nation
    • yoyo-france.net
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2011, 04:42:10 PM »
to me, 5A feels just perfect, it feels right, like "natural yoyoing"

for now I just can't stand 1A anymore
3A and 2A, never felt like trying

4A, I'll probably try but I already know I'm not putting the string on my finger so it's gonna be "9A" ?

yoyophone

• The Nation
  • aka. SenZaM
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 05:11:03 AM »
I don't wanna make a new thread for this, so I figured out I better post it here. I have massiv problems keeping my string tension right during 5a. I've been yoyoing for almost 2,5 years and in 1a its not a problem, but everytime I play 5a my string gets way too loose. Even when I'm not doing so many e-fans or stuff like that it still gets messed up to fast. How can I prevent this? Oh, and the counterweight smashes often against the back of the hand (which is rather painfull), am I the only one that has that (often)?
 All yoyos have one thing in common... None come with 'tricks included' lolol..

hadoq

• The Nation
    • yoyo-france.net
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 07:59:10 AM »
been EXACTLY there a month or so ago

about the CW hitting the back of the hand, get hard CWs so you're forced to catch them right, I actually solved this issue when the yoyo hit my back hand VERY hard and it did hurt quite alot for several days (maybe bruised), so I switched to a hard dice to force me to catch the thing right, worked out fine. this is the only way I know, there must be others.

about the tension, I had the same issue as well, the string kept getting loose (as opposed to 1A) for some reason, no matter if I was doing efans (one way or another) or any other tricks. I don't have this problem anymore now and I think I got it down.

maybe try to hold your string less tight, let the string freely travel between your fingers, within your hands. I noticed I was really tense when playing, specially during efan practices, and now I'm more comfortable and relaxed and I just let the string slide rather than holding it, and I believe that solved my string tension issues.

for the CW pain issue, you can also try and convince my wife to start selling these

SimonUK

• The Nation
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 08:03:29 AM »
You guys must have low pain thresholds on your hands. yeah it hurts when a dice hits your hand. But for what like 45 seconds? Unless those woolen CWs have something heavy in the middle, i can' see how they would have enough weight for anything.
what is a flyaway dismount?

And this ladies and gentleman is proof that response is dead :(

hadoq

• The Nation
    • yoyo-france.net
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2011, 08:04:35 AM »

I have not liked my G5 since I got it until I started using it for DD play today. After seeing that interview with Iskandar Shah I knew that I wanted some sort of DD setup to practice on.

After I get some DD combos made I might try to post a video or something. These amazing videos being posted keep reminding me that I need to throw 5a more often.

what are the size/weight on your DD set ups ? I'm asking because I ordered a set of nice dices online, but they're rather small and fairly light, and since I barely can do anything in DD, I don't know how "right" or "wrong" my setup is

also here's a "tip" for DD, the sliding dice should be heavier than the end dice, got the tip from the master himself (well I tried at home then asked for confirmation)

if anyone feels like doing DD tutorials, I'll be happy, the most I can do is the DD trapeze with the middle dice in the trapeze loop.

Simon -> there's a "secret" to these wool CWs, they're actually a tad bit heavier than duncan CWs - if my wife agrees to make them available, we'll reveal the "secret"
you can maybe figure it out from the pictures directly
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:07:04 AM by hadoq »

yoyophone

• The Nation
  • aka. SenZaM
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2011, 08:15:20 AM »
I think I know the secret  O0, oh and thanks for the help!
 All yoyos have one thing in common... None come with 'tricks included' lolol..

hadoq

• The Nation
    • yoyo-france.net
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2011, 08:17:24 AM »
You guys must have low pain thresholds on your hands.

actually, different people do have different sensibility to pain, some feel it more than others, you must be amongst the lucky ones.

drewtetz

• Two-Headed Boy
  • The Nation
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2011, 10:50:50 AM »
i still don't understand why everybody uses dice, haha.

also, yoooooooooooooo
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxj38wOFjoQ[/youtube]