Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 5A discussion  (Read 24716 times)

drewtetz

• Two-Headed Boy
  • The Nation
5A discussion
« on: May 07, 2011, 09:04:32 PM »
what are you working on?

what do you like?

what would you like to see?

drewtetz

• Two-Headed Boy
  • The Nation
Re: 5A discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 09:25:26 PM »
right now i'm pretty into the old school 2A mentality of trying to learn different foundation tricks in different places and finding transitions between them.

2A in general is really interesting from a 5A perspective. look at this video!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yDdjFWpGv4[/youtube]
if any of those tricks got put into a 5A context, people would lose their minds.

oh, and of course...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfFyn4MKk_I[/youtube]

Elephark

• Moderately Yabai
  • Your friendly Admin!
  • The Nation
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 12:54:27 AM »
At the moment I'm torn between further exploring the new stuff I'm working on because it attempts to help efans be slightly more tolerable or washing my hands of it and destroying the evidence because it involves efans.

JonRob

• DE's FINEST
  • The Nation
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 07:02:14 AM »
Its competition season... so Im focused on cleaning up my 1 minute and getting more comfortable with my 3 minute freestyle.

I like anything thats big and new. I love mount to mount combos with lots of counter-weight redirections.  I like the 2A influenced 5A... Its just really hard to do and find new elements that work. 

Id like to see more/new high level competitive 5A players.  Its harder now than it was five years ago though.  Back then if you could do the world's compulsory list, throw two or three original tricks in, then you would have a top ten WYYC freestyle.  The gap between the elite, casual and beginner is huge now... and speed is becoming a requirement.  Any new or up and coming players that want to do well at big competitions has years of hard work to put in before they can ever reach the elite level.

SimonUK

• The Nation
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 07:42:07 AM »
I'm just cleaning up all my old tricks, and trying to sort my UK nationals FS out.  Working on a few slightly more tech like tricks, to try and get away from just the efans that i normally do. Been throwing Zeros for 5a aswell just to smooth out and step up a little bit :)

Lets hope this thread isn't torn down by haters.
what is a flyaway dismount?

And this ladies and gentleman is proof that response is dead :(

Bradley Moss

• The Nation
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 07:51:19 AM »
I only throw 5a for fun, I don't do it to compete seriously in. But I'm trying to smooth out my sawchucks... So difficult lol. I'll get it eventually. I'm trying to make 5a that style where I make it look really odd and fun.

foxen10144

• Up for grabs
  • The Nation
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 08:02:28 AM »
I only throw rarely. I like to compete in 5a at contests to warm up my stage presence. I never really practice and alwase wing it on stage

Heres a video if any of you guys care

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cADgbfALdk[/youtube]
Go yoyo

St. Jimmy

• The Road to Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:09:19 AM »
I only really dabble in 5a, but I always like 5a that incorporates body tricks in it, and stuff that just looks smooth. recently i had been working on an insta-tangler and smoothing out my staircase helicopter.
this is the most recent not total crap 5a i have:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtD-htBmhrU[/youtube]

and gavin, that drop at the beginning is still hella pro.

drewtetz

• Two-Headed Boy
  • The Nation
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 10:22:16 AM »
top level 5A definitely seems way harder now than it used to... which is awesome to watch. worlds is gonna be nutty. i do think we have some rising stars, though, and i think people like juan are going to really become forces to watch soon. that gap is brutal, though; every time i think i'm starting to get something competition level i watch one of tyler's freestyles i shake my head and go back to the drawing board.

speaking of competitions... who's excited for japan nationals?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr6eMMRHduc[/youtube]

i'm interested to see what jacob is doing with e-fans. e-fan seems like kind of a sticky subject like, it's pretty deep in the foundation of competition 5A, but it seems like most of the players i've talked to do it out of necessity rather than out of any sort of love for the trick. can e-fan be saved?! does it need to be? i dunno, but here's my contribution
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OSbagm4qUA[/youtube]

drewtetz

• Two-Headed Boy
  • The Nation
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 10:33:30 AM »
I only throw rarely. I like to compete in 5a at contests to warm up my stage presence. I never really practice and alwase wing it on stage

yoooooo, that beesting to behind the back tangler is awesome, hahaha

lmark

• deuce
  • The Nation
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 10:35:51 AM »
i really like 5a, but i'm terrible at it.
there seems to be a lot of things that could be done in 5a that haven't been explored yet.

the things i like to watch are syncopated cw/yoyo movements and combos that have the cw going in the opposite directions.
has anyone done 2a style wraps (that is, shinji) with 5a cw?

cbaxt98

• The Nation
  • swag
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 10:45:52 AM »
I started serious 5A September 10, 2010 the night before Tennessee States and competed the next day  :-P Right now I have been trying my best, I think I'm pretty close to competition level, getting ready to (hopefully) go to MWR and I am for sure going to MER. I really want to take the gold in 5A at MER...Connor Scholten has been a real threat lately and Connor Ebbinghouse might be coming. Here's a video from a battle (Which I'm losing to someone who started in January  :-\
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFpVP5WLD7E[/youtube]

LynFuie

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 11:21:50 AM »
I need to work on my 1 minute for BAC ASAP. And I still need a trick or two to finish my 3 minutes. Also might need to switch the order a bit.

JonRob

• DE's FINEST
  • The Nation
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 12:41:34 PM »
foxen10144, your 5a is realy good.  You should take it more seriously... you might surprise yourself.

As for E-fan... I use to hate it in freestyle.  Ive grown to love a good combo with cool elements thrown in.  If its too long or you throw more than one combo its starts too look lame.  Plus you shouldn't be scored on repeated tricks so you are just wasting your time.  I might film my E-fan combo later and post it in this thread.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 12:55:41 PM by JonRob »

SimonUK

• The Nation
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 12:53:40 PM »
foxen10144, your 5a is realy good.  You should take it more seriously... you might might surprise yourself.

As for E-fan... I use to hate it in freestyle.  Ive grown to love a good combo with cool elements thrown in.  If its too long or you throw more than one combo its starts too look lame.  Plus you shouldn't be scored on repeated tricks so you are just wasting your time.  I might film my E-fan combo later and post it in this thread.

Doo it :D

Foxen10144- Dude, that was insane! You'd be taking state contests for sure, if you hit your tricks clean :)If thats you without putting any effort in, then even a tiny amount of effort will take you far dude.
what is a flyaway dismount?

And this ladies and gentleman is proof that response is dead :(

ze9o

• The Nation
  • The Nation
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 01:02:38 PM »
Im pretty excited to see what goeson this year at BAC it seems like its gonna be epic
96% of people don't have this as their signature, if you are one of the other 4% save this as your signature

LynFuie

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 01:07:51 PM »
Not really.. Miggy and Tyler aren't going.

202andrew

• Yeah Buddy
  • The Nation
  • Vs Newton
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 01:11:28 PM »
Not really.. Miggy and Tyler aren't going.
Haha, there probably gearing up for ECC.....

LynFuie

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 01:29:42 PM »
Nope.

JonRob

• DE's FINEST
  • The Nation
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 02:06:39 PM »
Cant speak for Miggy or Sterling but I know Tyler and I will be at ECC.   :coolsmiley:

Here is the E-Fan combo...  in my opinion I lump a lot of elements together with E-Fan.  Anything that involves swinging the counterweight around with one hand on a vertical plane, might as well be an E-Fan trick, e.g. some basic Tanglers and 5A Wraps are in the E-Fan family.  I like to throw like elements into combos, so I put wraps and Tanglers into my one basic E-Fan combo, with some extra stuff that I think flows well.  

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYE9aLqaOx4&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 02:08:29 PM by JonRob »