Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Attention New Yo-Yo'ers! In Honor of George Kowalsky...  (Read 91865 times)

ShaunC

• Ditch Down Crew
  • The Nation
  • from Hell...
Attention New Yo-Yo'ers! In Honor of George Kowalsky...
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:28:51 AM »
Hey guys! I've seen a few people do something similar to this before, and I thought it was a pretty awesome thing to do, so I figured I'd give it a shot, as well.

I have a pretty huge yo-yo collection, and that collection includes a fairly large amount of beginner/semi-proficient level yo-yo's. I've always enjoyed introducing people to the world of yo-yo'ing, and I've given away quite a few yo-yo's to beginners/novices over the years in order to help them on their journey. I think that it's only fitting that I use this wonderful gift that most of us take for granted called "the internet" to continue doing the same thing. So, here's the deal:

I have about a half a dozen or so yo-yo's that I'm willing to give away. They range from beginner type responsive yo-yo's, all the way up to semi-responsive/unresponsive throws. I also have, roughly, a metric ton of yo-yo string. I'd like to find 6 or 7 people that are interested in this wonderful hobby of ours, and would be interested in getting a new throw to play with.

The rules are simple: Leave a response and give a brief explanation about your yo-yo history, including the yo-yo you're currently using. If i see that you're interested in learning and participating in this community, I'll contact you. If I contact you, I'll be sending you a yo-yo of my choice, along with the necessary accessories (lube, pads, etc) and a hefty supply of string, free of charge.

Yes, I said FREE OF CHARGE. That includes shipping. I even have a somewhat higher-end yo-yo that I'll give away to the person that I think is most worthy. (yeah, that might sound pretentious, because it is. it's my stuff, i get to decide the rules. get over it).

Get to it! I have a bunch of stuff and I'm ready to ship it out! Let's hear what you have to say!!!

shaun
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:08:53 PM by ShaunC »
"One day men will look back and say i gave birth to the twentieth century"

vegabomb

• L.J. Hurley
  • Your friendly Admin!
  • The Nation
Re: Attention New Yo-Yo'ers!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:34:56 AM »
Very, very cool Shaun. Very cool.
For all your yoyo ordering needs please contact the good people at yoyonation towers..

info@yoyonation.com

Marhai

• Currently throwing: YYF Higby 888, HSpin Pyro III (custom), YYF 44,G-squared Albatross.
  • The Nation
  • Living the string.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:36:11 AM »
That's a great idea Shaun, I hope some of the new yoyoers will really get into the great passion of yoyoing

MarHaiYoyo www.youtube.com/marhaiyoyo
Fan of Yoyofactory!! O0
\"i listened to this in a empty bath naked covered in vaseline dancing like a slug\"

ShaunC

• Ditch Down Crew
  • The Nation
  • from Hell...
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 12:43:15 AM »
that's what i'm hoping, too. i hate the fact that new yo-yo'ers tend to get looked down on and made fun of (less so on this forum, and more so on others). especially with younger kids, when they go online and play video games or whatever, they get made fun of, get called a "noob", get harassed and pushed out. i think that, as a community, we are better than that. how many of us more experienced throwers have yo-yo's laying around that we don't even use anymore, but a new thrower would be THRILLED to have? i'd like to inspire people to give back to this community, because it only makes us stronger.

and thank you guys. i appreciate it.

Douglas Brown

• The Nation
  • Need any help? That's why I'm here.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:33:29 AM »
This is too much good to be in some ol' child board with just a couple responses. This deserves to be seen by all. Thanks, Shaun. This is a truly epic thing to do.
Quote from: Elephark
Nobody can agree precisely what yoyoing is, yet everybody wants to argue about it and take it way too seriously to the point that people get tired of talking or even thinking about it. Thus, yoyoing is art.

ShaunC

• Ditch Down Crew
  • The Nation
  • from Hell...
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 01:20:51 PM »
Thanks Douglas! You're awesome!

joshhh

• The Nation
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Shaun, you're just too cool.
FS: gnarwhal, loop 900's, izm!

Hit me up for details!

finalvalor

• The Nation
  • Lucas Dodge
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 09:14:35 PM »
This is a sweet contest, anyways thought i'd share my yoyo background. Me and a freind were in a local Zellers when we walked by a selection of yoyo's. So with closer inspection we say what the heck and purchase a yomega fireball each for like 8 dollars. Most of my pals thought it would be a passing phase, but my brother was nice enough to buy me a pocket pros zombie for christmas and thats my current throw. I ended up giving away my fireball to a freind for him to learn with and i got a darkmagic2 in the mail somewheres.For Freedom

AndyCandy

• I love Greece!
  • The Nation
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 03:16:20 PM »
Come on! Shaun is being nice! There must be somebody interested :(
Learning very slowly...

ShaunC

• Ditch Down Crew
  • The Nation
  • from Hell...
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 03:31:18 PM »
This is a sweet contest, anyways thought i'd share my yoyo background. Me and a freind were in a local Zellers when we walked by a selection of yoyo's. So with closer inspection we say what the heck and purchase a yomega fireball each for like 8 dollars. Most of my pals thought it would be a passing phase, but my brother was nice enough to buy me a pocket pros zombie for christmas and thats my current throw. I ended up giving away my fireball to a freind for him to learn with and i got a darkmagic2 in the mail somewheres.For Freedom

You get the prize for first response! I'll PM you this week with details on what you're getting  O0

Douglas Brown

• The Nation
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 04:48:45 PM »

This is worrying me. Are all the new yo-yoers already set? Or is YYN not getting very many newbies anymore? If so, where are they?
Nobody can agree precisely what yoyoing is, yet everybody wants to argue about it and take it way too seriously to the point that people get tired of talking or even thinking about it. Thus, yoyoing is art.

AndyCandy

• I love Greece!
  • The Nation
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 04:51:20 PM »

This is worrying me. Are all the new yo-yoers already set? Or is YYN not getting very many newbies anymore? If so, where are they?

Since some people post there topics about 3 times in a row on the wrong forum section, I guess they dont even take time to read anything here  :-\
Id be happy as hell if got such an amazing offer  :-\ COME ON NEWBIES! ;D
Learning very slowly...

LinksLegionaire

• «Kylε Niтгo 7hoмαsoп»
  • The Nation
  • A child's toy, an adult's escape.
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 12:25:12 AM »
First off, great idea Shaun. Second, what would you define as 'new'? Cuz' I'm just about rounding the 4 month mark in terms of yoyoing.

I bought a PGM in mid January and that was my first unresponsive (I had been using a Fireball that I bought in mid Nov) and I'm currently using a Genesis.

I know I'm not as deserving as those bigger newbies out there, but hey, if no one else is going to take them  :-P
The earth spins at over 1000 mph. If you didn't fall off today, quit whining.

jkoch

• The Nation
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 10:31:25 AM »

Since some people post there topics about 3 times in a row on the wrong forum section, I guess they dont even take time to read anything here  :-\
Id be happy as hell if got such an amazing offer  :-\ COME ON NEWBIES! ;D

I'm a newbie!  I've been yoyoing for about 3 weeks now.  I have a four year old son, and I think it was an episode of Curious George he was watching where one of the kids had a yoyo.  He asked me what it was and I told him, then didn't think much more about it.  Well, my mother in law visited a few weeks later and my son mentioned to her that he wanted a yoyo.  She bought him a Duncan Butterfly.  He lost interest in it after about 5 minutes, but then I started playing with it a little.  I could do a few tricks like around the world, walk the dog, some loops, etc.  My wife was really impressed since she had never seen me play with a yoyo before.  I decided to look online for more tricks to do, and found most of them difficult if not impossible to do with the cheap Duncan.  I wanted something a little bettter without making a big investement, and I read some posts here that recommended the Kickside for beginners.  I ordered one from Amazon, and I've been playing with it for a couple of hours a day since.  My kids love watching me do tricks, and my older son got interested in it again since he's watched me.  I can do most of the beginner and intermediate tricks in Andre  Boulay's videos, and am already thinking about which unresponsive yoyo I should buy when I'm ready to move on to more advanced tricks.

I'm not looking for any free stuff, I'd rather it go to kids who can't afford to buy their own yoyos.  I just wanted to share my newbie story since nobody else is speaking up.

Douglas Brown

• The Nation
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 10:54:19 AM »
Welcome to the boards, jkoch! If you haven't already seen, we have a newbie forum here with loads of great resources for learning about tricks and yo-yos themselves.

http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php/board,14.0.html

If you have any questions, feel free to PM or IM me anytime. :)

Also, I really thought you deserved the stuff reading your paragraph. But understanding that some kids can't afford new, nice yo-yos is so noble. You seem like a great guy, and I hope you stick around.

ZEKE

• The Nation
  • no. the concept of "walk the dog" eludes me...
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 12:04:33 PM »
so a friend of mine just messaged me asking me what a good beginner yoyo would be because he wants to try learning again, i havent been around the online community for a while so i have no idea what the recent beginner yoyos were and figured id come read the forums and try to figure out what to recommend to him, then i saw this post.

so here is my friend's story. a couple months after i got in to yoyoing he wanted to join me so he got a velocity at my recommendation. after a few weeks he got frustrated and bored with it so he gave it away to another kid who was also starting. he never completely learned how to bind but he could get it occasionally. if you would like to donate something to help him get started again that would be awesome, if not could someone who reads this send me a pm letting me know what the good beginner yoyos are now?
if i Bought, Sold, or Traded something with you, leave me feedback please
http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php?action=trader&id=3881

www.exoticanimalforums.com <an awesome animal forum, go there

cubemaster21

• just another guy on this big ole forum.
  • The Nation
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 01:31:23 PM »
This just makes me wonder, what the time limit for being consider a noob? i'm not sure whether i'd be considered a noob or not anymore. i've been yoyoing for about a year now on and off.

Maybe he cant finish his shop assignment because his dog ate his Bridgeport.

Pbpredator

• The Nation
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 02:46:46 PM »
So I dunno if this is still active but i'm quite new at yoyo'ing. I yoyo'ed a lot as a kid in school and stuff had a ton of fireballs and brains and stuff but never went further than basic basic tricks like walking the dog and rock the baby. I saw a video of some unknown yoyo'er and it got me interested again. I bought a high velocity and started relearning the basics and other stuff. I have been looking for a good place around New Hampshire to get a good metal yo-yo possibly but i cannot find any decent places. I recently found a yomega dash a toy store and bought it and soon after gave my girl friends brother my high velocity unfortunately the dash is incredibly responsive so I'm trying to wear the bearing in and maybe thinking about flow-able silicone response. kinda miss my velocity atleast it was unresponsive. But im gonna try some tricks ive seen lurking around here for making my dash unresponsive. I am planning on becoming more active here and maybe pushing my girlfriends brother into learning more with me and signing up too :) I have started learning some more advanced tricks as well i can do some mounts and learning lacerations and a whip now too

ShaunC

• Ditch Down Crew
  • The Nation
  • from Hell...
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 03:10:48 PM »
Jkoch: welcome! Thanks for telling your story and being such a thoughtful guy!

Zeke: have your friend message me!

Cubemaster: tell us a little more about you! It doesn't matter how long you've been at it, it matters if you want to learn and progress!

Pbpredator: PM me with your shipping info. I've got some stuff for you! Welcome to the yo-yo community!

AndyCandy

• I love Greece!
  • The Nation
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 03:15:48 PM »
ShaunC is awesoooooome :)
Learning very slowly...