Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 3YO3 Bassline - Ugly Yo-Yo, Boring Name  (Read 22912 times)

flyguy

• The Nation
  • Interrobang!?
3YO3 Bassline - Ugly Yo-Yo, Boring Name
« on: February 28, 2011, 09:58:45 PM »
Background

Who is Landon Balk?  ("Who is John Galt?")  That was my first thought when I read about the Bassline on YoyoSkills.  "Landon" conjured up a dapper black man from the future in Star Wars (Lando Calrissian).  The yo-yo pictured on YoyoSkills had this little nub of a hub -- it looked kind of like a fat man with a small head.  And the colors -- Gold? Red? White? Blue? Black?  Booo-ring.  I've always thought gold color anodize was especially ugly.  If you're going to do gold -- do gold, with, you know, REAL gold.  Otherwise it comes out looking like half-baked costume jewelry.

I didn't buy one.  The yo-yo didn't do anything to distinguish itself.  From the photo, it looked a bit Freehand shaped -- no innovation there.  Just another random aluminum metal yo-yo.  Based on the numbers that remained in stock, it wasn't even selling well.

I read the YoYoSkills and HighSpeedYoyo reviews.  They were positive, but it also sounded kind of like these people were buddy-buddy with this "Landon" guy, so maybe they'll say anything so he's not stuck in debt with a bunch of yo-yos that won't sell.  One night, I was feeling kind of depressed so I decided to engage in some retail therapy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retail_therapy).  The red Bassline was apparently especially horrendous, had some kind of anno defect, so it was sold at a discount.  When the box arrived several days later, I didn't bother to open it.  I have plenty of other yo-yos to play with, and I was feeling better again, so I just put it away.

Skip ahead several months.  Basslines are still in stock in online shops, even as I write this review.  The Ti-Walker can sell out in less than a minute, but the Bassline sells slower than the Chinese knockoff yo-yos on eBay.  "Yugh," I thought to myself, "I'm never going to be able to trade this for anything."  Originally, I'd bought a YYF California 2010 as the designated "concrete beater."  But after seeing the Bassline still in stock, a thought entered my head -- "Ladies and gentleman, another contender has entered the ring."  That day, I'd seen that Brett had 3 in his case, so it couldn't be that bad.  I ripped open the box, threw away all the non-collectable accessories and threw the yo-yo down.

Play

The yo-yo is so ugly, you should really throw it with your eyes shut.  If you do, listen really hard.  There's something weird with the bearing.  If you hold your ear up, you'll hear something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hXzKnVgMdU#noexternalembed

Sometimes when I throw down the Bassline, if I hold my fingernail up agains the side, I hear something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0I6mhZ5wMw#noexternalembed

This yo-yo opens for suicide beautifully.  The anodized finish, while comparable to Medusa's backside with respect to western beauty standards, grinds perfectly well.  Thumb grinds are effortless.  The weight save by making the nubs tiny gives it a healthier rim weight that many of its predecessors (I'm looking at you, Oxy 4).  There are a lot of great yo-yos on the market.  So I can't honestly say that the Bassline by some definite, objective criteria can do more or better tricks than, say, my YYF 2010 California.  But by that standard, neither can my Ti-Walker, Oxy-Ti, Peaks, Aurora, Avalanche, "The End", etc.

The only thing I can say for now (and this is painful for me to say since my background is in Engineering Physics) is that the Bassline leaves you with a *feeling* that you are playing with the same yo-yo Superman plays with.  This thing spins and is smooth like a crystal.  It is extremely consistent.

Vibe

Not Applicable.  Zero vibe every time I screw the yo-yo together.

Conclusion

Bassline is a boring name.  Landon probably should've called it the Sabre Toothed Penguin Rocket Slug.  The Bassline looks like your friend's ugly sister.  Landon sucks at marketing, but he's like the Karate Kid of yo-yo making.  Instead of talking to Mr. Miyagi, he should talk to Kiya (Anti-Yo) and Heath (VsNYYC).

But if you close your eyes and forget all that, you'll find yourself playing with a perfectly symmetric yo-yo.  Zero vibe.  Thumbs up for every single string trick.

Let me tell you how much I like this yo-yo.  The night I tried it, I went online and bought 4 more.  Even one of the ugly gold ones.  Landon doesn't seem to want to make any more of these, and once they're gone, they're gone.  For now they're still in the box, but I can strip them and re-anodize so I don't blind.  Even if I mangle 4 of them horribly, after hundreds of hours of blissful play, I'll still have at least one that's pristine.  If you get one, you'll probably feel as excited as this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmJWQ3-qzQA#noexternalembed

P.S.  I've reviewed two other yo-yos recently -- the VsNYYC Ti-Walker and the OneDrop nickel 54.  They've all been pretty positive reviews.  Which is cool for me, because it means I like what I bought.  But I feel like for this review to be really useful, I can't just say the Bassline is a great throw and nothing else.  I have to criticize it somehow -- and I think I've done that enough.  I'll finish with a few words about 54 vs. Ti-Walker vs. Bassline.

54 vs. Bassline.

Bassline is a bigger throw.  54 is 54mm diameter.  Bassline is 56.4.  If you're looking for a smaller yo-yo, go with the 54.  If you're looking for side effects or a lighter yo-yo, go with the 54.  You'll have to camp out to get the side effects though, and my experience with the 54 is that I'll likely pick one side effect whose weight I like, and stick with that one more-or-less forever.  A 54 with rotating side members totals $138 -- if you can get the side effects.  They generally sell out in minutes, so you'll have to really pay attention.  A Bassline is $75-$90 online, and readily available.  The Bassline's weight is 66.4 grams -- very middle of the road.  If you don't care about "rotating side members" and you're not especially a fan of heavy or light yo-yos, I'd go with the Bassline.  With the money you save, you'll actually be able to afford the string you'll need.

Ti-Walker vs. Bassline

Ti-Walker is 63.40 grams and 52.80 mm diameter.  It's smaller and lighter than the Bassline.  It's also $200 and extremely hard to get.  For many of you, that'll make the decision.  For the rest, I'll say that the Bassline is a more relaxed yo-yo than the Ti-Walker.  The Ti-Walker is like playing with coffee.  The Bassline is more like a lemonade on a hot day.  The Bassline fits into a pocket more easily.  The Bassline has less vibe than the Ti-Walker -- when the Ti-Walker isn't tuned.  It's not a big difference.  I love them both, and it would be stupid for me to tell you to get one over the other.  If I were you, I'd want them both, and which one I got would just depend on what was available and how much cash I had.  If I had a lot of cash, I'd buy the Bassline first because it's still available, and then I'd buy a Ti-Walker whenever I could find one.  If I only had $200, I'd try really hard to get a Ti-Walker now.  Then later, I'd try to find a Bassline on the BST.  The Bassline isn't a popular yo-yo -- which is a great thing for people who play with their yo-yos.  There's a reason why the other reviews say:

"Get it. Leave this review right now and get it. I am not kidding. This is Landonís finest work, and arguable one of the best throws available."

"IN CONCLUSION BUY 2, TELL YOUR FRIENDS, TELL YOUR WIFE, AND TELL YOUR HUSBAND BECAUSE THEY ARE ON SALE SOMEWHERE..."

I have that feeling now, and you'll have it to if you get a Bassline and then decide to write a review.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:20:51 PM by flyguy »

Liz

• C'est la vie. ♔
  • The Nation
Re: 3YO3 Bassline - Ugly Yo-Yo, Boring Name
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:01:13 PM »
Wow.

LynFuie

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:05:30 PM »
Wow.

My thoughts exactly at around the 3rd time reading it. I dont understand.

J Mackerl

• The Nation
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:12:44 PM »
Most underrated throw ever. I've yet to buy one but i played with one for a solid three hours, there was nothing i didn't like about it, although the diameter is a bit large for my liking but hey, tomato tomato. I'll probably be getting one in the near future.  O0
Doctor, do the right thing!

Sekhmet

• The Nation
  • don't drop that yo yo yo (ayeeeee!!)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »
flyguy = TRUTH

"Plus, yo-yos are cool and everything, but I want to get laid."

Jensen Kimmitt

StillinKansasCity

• One Drop Connoisseur
  • The Nation
  • Yes, but does it accept Side Effects?
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 10:33:07 PM »
I mean the yoyo has got something going on but this is a pretty ridiculous review. I mean you bought 5 of the most ugly yoyo that you can't even stand the sight of? Good on you. I dont want to imagine how many yoyos you typically buy when you like the way they look...
This should be played at high volume, preferably in a residential area.

flyguy

• The Nation
  • Interrobang!?
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 10:44:53 PM »
Usually less than five.  I value play over looks, and unfortunately most of the really good looking yo-yos don't stand out when it comes to play.  Please look up the word "hyperbole."

yoking

• i accidently the whole yoyo
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
    • http://www.landonbalk.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 07:44:37 AM »
Cheers for the review! I got a kick out of it  O0

Landon
Thanks to Ubberfish for the killer banner!
3yo3 yoyos! Mods, custom yoyos, recessing, weight ring addition, etc.   Feel free to IM me on AIM whenever!

AquaJoe

• The Nation
    • My yoyo case
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 12:43:07 PM »
That was an interesting review. Very funny comparisons.

I agree, the Bassline is definitely the most underrated throw.

GunstarHero

• Chuck Cescon
  • The Nation
  • Throw it away
    • Tumblr (18+)
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 12:59:38 PM »
That was the most entertaining review I've ever read. Kudos. Definitely a good read during my lunch break.

Melford

• Bmel On YYE & OD
  • The Nation
  • Anodizer
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 01:35:47 PM »

"IN CONCLUSION BUY 2, TELL YOUR FRIENDS, TELL YOUR WIFE, AND TELL YOUR HUSBAND BECAUSE THEY ARE ON SALE SOMEWHERE..."

I have that feeling now, and you'll have it to if you get a Bassline and then decide to write a review.
i couldn't have said so better myself, awesome throw so glad i got one

Beau

• The Nation
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Great review, very fun to read. 

BTW, if you don't like the aesthetics of the yoyo, you should try to hunt down one of the powder-coated prepros.  Obviously it doesn't grind like the production run does, and it still has that dorky-looking nipple, but the finish is gorgeous.  It feels like playing with a dandelion puff.  Only problem is that it's one of those throws that doesn't often show up on the BST (that fact alone should really tell people something).

Brownsound

• The Nation
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 05:48:30 PM »
So basically what flyguy the "physics engineer" is saying but never quite found the words: the Bassline is a product of an engineer, not a marketing team, and it shows!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:43:48 PM by Brownsound »

flyguy

• The Nation
  • Interrobang!?
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »
I only majored in engineering physics.  I'm a software engineer.

hcjesse

• Jesse Christe
  • The Nation
  • VsNYYC
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 07:14:42 PM »
I never played one but I like the name and how it looks :shoulder shrug:
Team Vs. Newton

Official suicide world record holder---56

MayoHUN

• The Nation
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 10:27:35 AM »
i have 3 basslines too ( iam a 3yo3 team member :D ) and soo far these yoyos my favourites!
Go and get one  O0

Bence :)

da5id

• Manufacturer
  • The Nation
  • One Drop YoYos
    • One Drop YoYos
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 07:47:19 PM »
The Bassline is an amazing yoyo.  Landon brought the love.  You should have one.

boywithcap

• The Nation
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »
Fun review of a wonderful yoyo!   ;D

kanahmal

• Bandalorian Bounty Hunter
  • The Nation
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 04:05:19 AM »
The Bassline is tied for my favorite yoyo, and it is my girlfriend's favorite yoyo. Problem. So I guess I'm gonna have to get her a silver one when I get the money. Problem. I want a silver one too. I may end up with 3 Basslines.

YOAaron

• Speed Cuber
  • The Nation
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 04:18:57 AM »
The Bassline is tied for my favorite yoyo, and it is my girlfriend's favorite yoyo. Problem. So I guess I'm gonna have to get her a silver one when I get the money. Problem. I want a silver one too. I may end up with 3 Basslines.
give her the one you share and buy a silver for yourself  :coolsmiley: