Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone remember the game "Crack Top"??  (Read 1018 times)

Jomo

• The Nation
    • myspace
Anyone remember the game "Crack Top"??
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:16:18 AM »
What the title sez . .I seem to remember, it was a NYC game where you drew a circle in the pavement. then you threw your top in the circle and you tried to keep it in the circle with your string, if you got booted out of the circle, you had to place your top in the middle of the circle and everyone else tried to break your top with theirs, (we're talking 1960's here so tops were made of wood and they had metal tips), if it didn't totally get destroyed you got to try to boot some one in the next round . .etc. Some times I remember your top would get split in half . .
I'm looking for rule verification on this, as it seems to be what I remember, but it's been a while . . it will be interesting to see if anyone else remembers this part of inner city childhood . .;D
forum yoyonation = Pontification Station

Schnayke

• The Nation
Re: Anyone remember the game "Crack Top"??
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 01:09:36 PM »
We have a battle top compation at the national yoyo contest every year. 
It has a set of rules, I don't know right off the top of my hat. 
But it go's something like each person takes a chance to be the chump(the top that is the target)
Everyone else trys to destroy your top.  they get points based on damadge with the most poinst given if you knock the cap off of the top of the spintop.
There is also a long spin part of the contest where everyone throws at once and who evers last the logest gets points. 
here is a hard to see video of what the game is like.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_43JqLkza0U[/youtube]

islanders888

• The Nation
  • Hi, My Name is Kenny
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 01:13:57 PM »
looks painfull

Jomo

• The Nation
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 06:45:16 AM »
Yeah Schnayke that's pretty much it!! Ha!!( though I seem to remember when the 'chump', you'd just put your top in the middle and not throw it) . .is that a garbage can lid they're throwing into? Awesome thanks! 
forum yoyonation = Pontification Station

Schnayke

• The Nation
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 12:59:47 PM »
ya' that year we used a rubbermaid can lid. 
I think we had more sucess with a round snow sled. 

yophosis

• The Nation
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 09:41:38 PM »
The Ultimate Battletop Championship follows wherever Mark Hayward goes. He makes really awesome trophies for them and everything.  He's got videos of them on his you tube channel.  Alan Gray makes the tops for it.  I just won the 2011 Ultimate Battletop Championship of Wisconsin at Madfest.

Chris Neff