Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cleaning up the Tournaments / Contests / Events Forum (UPDATE 2/1/2011)  (Read 4801 times)

Steve Brown™

• Malcontent
  • Manufacturer
  • The Nation
    • 365yoyotricks.com
UPDATE 12/22/2010

Yeah. I totally bit off more than I could chew with this little forum. Ha.

I'm still slowly working towards a better way to keep all of this organized. The Buffalo NY guys pointed out to me that my understand of geography isn't nearly as sharp as it was in high school, and due to the amount of time I already spend on things here I just don't have the time to research drive times and figure this stuff out.

I split off the Buffalo yo-yo club thread. That's done. But there are a TON of California threads and honestly, I don't know what cities can/should be merged and what should be kept separate. If there is a specific, distinct, established club I'll give you your own thread (Spin Dox, BombSquad, Santa Cruz, Redondo Beach, etc) but if we're just talking about random meets I want to break it out by city, dig?

ANY help that you can throw my way in figuring out what to separate would be awesome. And really, same goes for any state/city.

Thanks!

S

----------
Hey everyone....

I'm working towards cleaning up the forum and merging duplicate and unnecessary threads. In the process of this, some threads are going to get merged and then broken back down later into individual cities when they are large enough / far apart / busy enough to need their own thread.

In the meantime, please try to keep the "Unmerge these, we're 4 hours away and that's too far" messages and PMs to a minimum. Right now I'm digging through 60 pages of threads to try and group things in a way that makes more sense....it's going to take a while before I can get this into good enough shape where we're all happy with it.

If you want to help, though....I'm MORE than happy to take PMs with links to a bunch of threads that can be merged. That'll help me a TON in getting this done faster.

Thanks!

S

-----------

Feb. 1, 2011

You'll notice we now have a child forum just for Contests! I'm moving stuff over as I can, but reporting contest threads helps. :)

This will help a lot. Sorry for the slow movement on this, it's basically my pet project....

S
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:42:30 PM by Steve Brown™ »

St. Jimmy

• The Road to Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
Re: Cleaning up the Tournaments / Contests / Events Forum (UPDATE 12/22/2010)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:18:17 PM »
I think it would be wise to leave contest threads out of the merged threads.
taking into consideration Regionals as well as State contests, its hard to lump them into this thread of that thread, given players from all about travel to any given contest.
Or make a child board for this forum, specifically for contests organizers, and operate it in a manner similar to the manufacturers board, where we can have information on all upcoming contests in one general place, and can be updated, both as needed and yearly, by the organizers themselves. and if you'd need someone extra to moderate it, i'd volunteer to do so, as I feel it would be a valuable asset to the community.

and for the record, I mean Legit yoyo contest threads, with actual information about an upcoming contest, not just random threads saying "HAI GAIS R U COMING TO (insert contest here)??!!?!"

joeyoyo

• The Nation
  • [url]nyyyc.net[/url]
    • New York YoYo Club

Hi Steve:

I wrote you a PM that may help you. let me know if you got it.

Joeyoyo
The YoYo Advocate.

AlisRIOSteff

• Kyle Derry
  • The Nation
  • immortal
i don't know if this would help or not, but couldn't you set the contests forum up like a folder?
states-->county-->towns
or something like that.

Maybe put a sticky in the contests forum saying that every thread has to put the state in the subject line, that alone would help people find contests in their area.

just suggestions.

(clickable)

Steve Brown™

• Malcontent
  • Manufacturer
  • The Nation
    • 365yoyotricks.com
I think it would be wise to leave contest threads out of the merged threads.
taking into consideration Regionals as well as State contests, its hard to lump them into this thread of that thread, given players from all about travel to any given contest.
Or make a child board for this forum, specifically for contests organizers, and operate it in a manner similar to the manufacturers board, where we can have information on all upcoming contests in one general place, and can be updated, both as needed and yearly, by the organizers themselves. and if you'd need someone extra to moderate it, i'd volunteer to do so, as I feel it would be a valuable asset to the community.

and for the record, I mean Legit yoyo contest threads, with actual information about an upcoming contest, not just random threads saying "HAI GAIS R U COMING TO (insert contest here)??!!?!"

That's a solid idea. Lemme see if I can make that happen.

icthus

Re: Cleaning up the Tournaments / Contests / Events Forum (UPDATE 2/1/2011)
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 08:11:49 PM »
That is a great idea. If it works out good here I'll make one at another forum. After all it's for the contest and not the forum.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:13:23 PM by icthus »