Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Vs.Newton YoYo Concepts Battosai Review  (Read 2416 times)

fallenangemon0

• Dank
  • The Nation
  • Vs.NYYC
Vs.Newton YoYo Concepts Battosai Review
« on: September 27, 2010, 03:40:12 AM »
          To be perfectly honest, I thought I'd hate my Battosai. From the first throw the G-String BounceCore would feel too snaggy against the fresh silicone job, and the catch zone was slightly awkward to get used to. I noticed that while the Battosai fits perfectly in my left hand, and it doesn't quite fit as snug in my right hand due to my calluses from where I tie the slip-knot.  :-\

After a few days of trying the Battosai out with a Chaos 422 string, I began to get the feel for how fast this yoyo can play comfortably. Honestly, this yoyo plays at an above average speed and the unique weight distribution makes it a fast, mid-weight, undersized man-slayer.  :-P (I hope you saw that coming.) Performing whips was slightly difficult, and I was just beginning to appreciate how INCREDIBLE it feels to do chopsicks style trick with such a "compressed but functional" yoyo, when I noticed my Chaos 422 was fraying near the sharp edge near the response. Not wanting to have my new Battosai's string break, I simply put it away, and stepped outside to enjoy the fruits of life before I struck my forehead for not realizing it sooner...

After rubbing dryer lint on the silicone job to help it break in, and slapping on the G-String that came with the Battosai, it played like VsNYYCs' dream come to life. With the aid of the string, my wrist doesn't hurt from long duration of play and whips make sounds that can be compared to slicing the air. Landing quadruple Hidemasa hooks or Satoshi Tower is becoming a snap thanks to how fast this string can perform whips with little strain from your arms. All this combined with a healthy weight let it play bouncy during combos, but zippy when things needed to hit fast-forward...with solid binds from a broken in silicone job/smooth 10-ball bearing!   ;D

The slight H-Shape is just stuffed with weight and the rims are rounded off making it comfortable to return with a full spin. The only flaw to it's design is grinds. They suffer here and those Genesis/G5 owners know what I'm talking about. If you don't keep that finger parallel to the BEARING, grinds will tilt on the finger before falling off your hand. The rims bay be easy to catch, but this is a double edged sword since arm grinding in a straight line is not an easy feat.

Despite my nitpicking, this is definitely a yo-yo that the community needs to get in on. If you haven't had the joy of playing a Skywalker, you owe it to yourself to pick one up when they drop  O0

Keep up the great work, Heath!

UPDATE:
I have fraying from using Chaos 422, but not Highlights...odd. I know the edges aren't to blame, and have identified the problem to be accidentally using a worn out string to begin with.  ::rofl::

A huge shout-out to Paul Wallace @ GString on this BNC format.  O0

TL;DR
  • Shape takes getting used to. Totally worth it.
  • String takes getting used to. Totally worth it.
  • H-Shape Grind  :'(
  • Over-lip IRG
  • Plays fast but small. Heavy and fast in perfect harmony  :angel:
  • Looks Incredible and Production run will come in a plethora of snazzy options. 28 Stories?  O0

Edit:  Threw in a center trac. Plays much bette. Keeps string away from the abrasive edge!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:47:42 PM by fallenangemon0 »
"You cash it. You pack it"

I6ify

• Oliver Isaacs
  • The Nation
  • You like yoyos, don't you
Re: Vs.Newton YoYo Concepts Battosai Review
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 05:29:44 AM »
Very well put, I love mine and hope minimal changes are made before production. Although, I talked to Heath at worlds and he said that many complained the catch zone is akward and unwieldy. I personally think it's perfect.

Great job Heath!
I'm in Jackson, MS, contact me if you're near me and want to throw.

Quote from: Jensen Kimmitt
brb guys, fighting aliens.

fallenangemon0

• Dank
  • The Nation
  • Vs.NYYC
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 05:46:02 PM »
Very well put, I love mine and hope minimal changes are made before production. Although, I talked to Heath at worlds and he said that many complained the catch zone is akward and unwieldy. I personally think it's perfect.

Great job Heath!

I hope to see the final product kick just as much, if not more arse.

I don't know about perfect. If everyone just blindly tells you something is flawless, how do you improve  it? I think a slightly altered catch zone, a dull edge before the response area,l and maybe even pad response would do this yoyo wonders.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:58:31 PM by fallenangemon0 »

Heath

• "The Works" works
  • Manufacturer
  • The Nation
  • but can it spark?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 05:55:36 PM »
yea, the Battosai is made to be the complete opposite of the Sky Walker. with this being said, its going to play heavier. i was able to distribute the weight to still get fast response and play, but made it heavier for those that want a more solid feel than the Sky Walker.....heres the real shocker........

The Sky Walker and Battosai weigh the same!!!! what!? could it be!? but Heath, does that mean that all of those years i spent complaining about weights was meaningless? YES!!! that is exactly what i did this for!!! (and to make a crazy but playable yoyo  O0)

the shape is crazy, as intended, but rather functional. its one of those shapes that if you want to like you will and if you dont then you wont. i think everyone should give it a try before judging. The Battosai is used by most of the VsNYYC as their main players for 1A

great review  :)

P.S. a slight mod to the catch zone mod and edge tweak are in the production. thats what prepro is for. thanks for your contributions to the future of VsNYYC  :)

http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/hvizier/

fallenangemon0

• Dank
  • The Nation
  • Vs.NYYC
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 06:01:50 PM »
The Skywalker and the Battosai ARE complete opposites now that I have both  :-o

While I am a dedicated Skywalker fan, both of these play amazing! I really hope to get a SADR!

blake24

• CLYW VS.nyyc
  • The Nation
  • Throwin.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 10:13:58 AM »

While I am a dedicated Skywalker fan, both of these play amazing! I really hope to get a SADR!

o ya, i will let you know how the SADR is when it comes should be here today  :-P

2nl7dk6 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/539089

Heath

• "The Works" works
  • Manufacturer
  • The Nation
  • but can it spark?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 04:03:39 PM »

o ya, i will let you know how the SADR is when it comes should be here today  :-P

how about how your Battosai plays?  :angel:

blake24

• CLYW VS.nyyc
  • The Nation
  • Throwin.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 07:27:10 PM »

how about how your Battosai plays?  :angel:

How does it play? how does it not play its being played right now  ;D fast, firm on the throw not to light not to heavy

2nl7dk6 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/539089

Beatrice

• The Nation
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 04:53:36 AM »
I haven't been able to put this yoyo down since I got it.  I'm having the same issue with the string getting abused by that edge, though...  Anyone know a good way to manage that problem?  (Besides fixing my throw lol... I'm sure if I could do that it'd be a bit less of an issue... >.>  )

fallenangemon0

• Dank
  • The Nation
  • Vs.NYYC
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 05:41:07 PM »
I haven't been able to put this yoyo down since I got it.  I'm having the same issue with the string getting abused by that edge, though...  Anyone know a good way to manage that problem?  (Besides fixing my throw lol... I'm sure if I could do that it'd be a bit less of an issue... >.>  )

I threw a Center Trac in mine. Definitely made the highlights play for longer.

I think it may have been a mistake to include string THIS thick with silicone response. Binds come back too hard and sometimes wrap around in a tangled mess, insuring your next throw will only make it half way down the string. Thicker string needs to be played with less responsive pads.

Also, take a green Scotch-brite pad and wear down the edge. It won't scuff it and will break in the blasting immediately.

Heath

• "The Works" works
  • Manufacturer
  • The Nation
  • but can it spark?
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »

I threw a Center Trac in mine. Definitely made the highlights play for longer.

I think it may have been a mistake to include string THIS thick with silicone response. Binds come back too hard and sometimes wrap around in a tangled mess, insuring your next throw will only make it half way down the string. Thicker string needs to be played with less responsive pads.

Also, take a green Scotch-brite pad and wear down the edge. It won't scuff it and will break in the blasting immediately.

if a thin string existed that felt like BNC id be all over it.

the production changes have made great improvements on what i think is an already great yoyo

the media on them is just like Candyblasting. breaking in is required, though i did pre scotch them to assist that break in period (production run is masked)

fallenangemon0

• Dank
  • The Nation
  • Vs.NYYC
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 06:34:35 PM »
The closed thing is...

Highlights! It may be considered "cheap" but it really is the best option imho. Thin enough to play nice with the response, and bouncy. Sure it only lasts a day or less, but it works :P

Cannnot wait for the production run!

edit: Or Snacktime Strings.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 06:35:06 PM by fallenangemon0 »

Heath

• "The Works" works
  • Manufacturer
  • The Nation
  • but can it spark?
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 06:37:08 PM »
IMO snacktimes have their own greatness. nothing bounces like a fresh highlight, for those 5 minutes  :-P hahaha

fallenangemon0

• Dank
  • The Nation
  • Vs.NYYC
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 07:00:11 PM »
for those 5 minutes  :-P hahaha

Quoted for truth. I've played some Gator Floss strings that act like perma-highlights, but not every batch plays the same  :-\

Can't wait to review the Septo-yo and the Production Battosai!

PinSquid

• The Nation
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 07:29:53 PM »
I really want one of these after hearing all the good things about it, and seeing the unique shape for myself. Any idea on a price for them?

Heath

• "The Works" works
  • Manufacturer
  • The Nation
  • but can it spark?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 07:45:17 PM »
i hear theyre going to retail at 90$, but then again, what do i know  :-[

thats right, i trimmed the edges on the process and was able to get 5$ shaved off of the price.......you can thank me later

or now works too  :angel:

I6ify

• Oliver Isaacs
  • The Nation
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 08:26:50 PM »

Great job Heath!

I hope to see the final product kick just as much, if not more arse.

I don't know about perfect. If everyone just blindly tells you something is flawless, how do you improve  it? I think a slightly altered catch zone, a dull edge before the response area,l and maybe even pad response would do this yoyo wonders.

Well, what I meant when I said "perfect" is that it plays to all my preferences, and I used that word a bit irresponsibly. It IS my favorite yoyo, but, I don't think anything is perfect.

And, I don't know enough about the construction of a yoyo to suggest changes (having been in this hobby a relatively short amount of time).

And I, too, hope that the production run kicks some serious arse.

PinSquid

• The Nation
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 08:43:24 PM »

THANKYOUUuuuuUuuuUuUUuu.

Man, I can't wait. Time to hold onto 90 dollars.

Beatrice

• The Nation
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 12:53:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice =D

I've been running some chaos 422 in it.  Not much bounce... but it's a LOT thinner and seems a tad more durable.  I'll go get myself some scotch brite =D

I6ify

• Oliver Isaacs
  • The Nation
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 08:32:53 PM »
...you can thank me later

Thanks Heath....