Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tom Kuhn Appreciation thread.  (Read 63559 times)

ed

• wood is good.
  • The Nation
  • http://SPYY.ca
    • Saturn Precision Yo-Yo's
Re: The NO-JIVE show-off thread!
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2010, 12:06:49 PM »
actually the '3-in-1 wonder yo-yo' version is comparatively rare. my sf-era just says laser carved. i want to get a 'wonder' one though. on my list!

my favorite finishes are actually the bc era mandalas. they almost feel blasted. sooooo nice for 'measuring tape' tricks.

EDIT:
btw (and i realize this isn't the b/s/t), but if any of you guys have a white painted 25th anny that you'd trade for a white ii devil-girl, lemme know.
that's one of the few 'relatively common' ones that i'm missing.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:41:36 PM by ed »
i wanted to take my board-building design and my surfing, without the shortboard influence, into an area that was uncharted territory."
-tyler hatzikian

Blog 365YoYoTricks

yoyodave

• The Nation
Rack 'em Up, Rack 'em Up ...
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2010, 09:43:23 PM »
And to think, Crow could have bought all of these ...  :coolsmiley: 

A batch of oldies, all from San Francisco days.  These are a batch that belonged to my old box packer Lobsterpimp (Glen). Most of my old Kuhns are buried in the DEEP DEEP boxes ... Very hard to find presently.

wayne

• The Nation
  • Wood is good :^ )
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2010, 11:28:55 PM »
And to think, Crow could have bought all of these ...  coolsmiley 

Dave, your being very naughty teasing Matt like that. As punishment I will have to confiscate all of those yo-yo's, come on now hand them over young man. ;D 

ed

• wood is good.
  • The Nation
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 05:45:32 AM »
shoot. forgot about the 'imperial camel'... add one more to the 'good luck, ed' wishlist.
it stands at 10:
• black ii girls
• white ii girls
• 25 years ptd
• sun bfly
• cable car
• aspen
• 84 olympic
• smothers wine
• wonder camel
• imperial camel
i wanted to take my board-building design and my surfing, without the shortboard influence, into an area that was uncharted territory."
-tyler hatzikian

Blog 365YoYoTricks

Crow

• The artist formerly known as Scarecrow
  • The Nation
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 05:59:39 AM »
It is true. Glen offered to sell all of those precious Kuhns to me. But in my defense, I did buy a few off of him. It was a tough choice, but I chose a Neiman Marcus, Smothers Brothers Winery butterfly, and a SmoBro. But looking back on that day, I should have bought a black balaclava and a baseball bat, mugged a few innocent yet wealthy looking Albuquerque residents, and then purchased the entire collection from him. I don't know where my head was at.  ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead::
--
'Crow

Why soar like an eagle, when you can fly like a camel

We'll be remembered not for our collections, but maybe for some of the things we've done with them, and hopefully not for what we've resorted to in order to obtain them.

ed

• wood is good.
  • The Nation
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
i read that and was like: 'matt, i don't think baklava's supposed to be black. and it would have to be pretty stale to do any damage.'
-tyler hatzikian

Blog 365YoYoTricks

Crow

• The Nation
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2010, 07:49:41 AM »
i read that and was like: 'matt, i don't think baklava's supposed to be black. and it would have to be pretty stale to do any damage.'

;D ;D ;D

Better change that to "Bear Claw"

--
'Crow

We'll be remembered not for our collections, but maybe for some of the things we've done with them, and hopefully not for what we've resorted to in order to obtain them.

yoyodave

• The Nation
Set of Celtic Mandalas
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2010, 09:32:29 AM »
This picture used to be posted at the OLD skilltoys.com store, when we were selling the Celtics.  $35 each if I recall.  But the store was called Dave & Mark's Yo-Yo Store back then, even long after Mark was no longer part of it. You'll see a strip of the old website color on the right side of the picture.

How about a trivia question or two?  Who was Mark?  Who thought of changing the name of the store and picking up the domain, skilltoys.com?  The laser burn on the Celtics is different on each side... Why?  No, winner does not get a prize, and definitely not these yo-yos.

I actually have an extra set of these that I would part with, but not for $35 each.  ;D  So if anyone REALLY REALLY wants a set, email me.

David
whistler@swcp.com

GlowDoug

• The Nation
  • G L O W S T R O N G
    • GlowDoug's Glow YoYo Website
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2010, 10:49:21 AM »
Hey Ed, do you need to add this one to your "want/need" list?

Contact me if you have glow in the dark Yo-Yos to sell....

www.GlowYoYo.com

ed

• wood is good.
  • The Nation
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2010, 11:32:26 AM »
technically, yeah, but i never really liked that one. honestly, the neiman is the only 'ad no jive' that i really found aesthetically compelling. abercrombie's ok. datachecker is pretty bad - lol. that's one to pick up if i happen upon it or if i get all the others - lol!
-tyler hatzikian

Blog 365YoYoTricks

GlowDoug

• The Nation
  • G L O W S T R O N G
    • GlowDoug's Glow YoYo Website
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2010, 11:37:04 AM »
what about the butterfly SMO BRO?

Contact me if you have glow in the dark Yo-Yos to sell....

www.GlowYoYo.com

ed

• wood is good.
  • The Nation
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2010, 11:52:29 AM »
never even saw that one! i'm ok with passing on that though - same with the imperial celtic mandalas. as long as i have the design, i'm not after both body-types. i DO want one of those sun-b-flys though, just because i think they look awesome. i don't need to have every version out there (nor do i think that's a realistic possibility). most of what's left on my list are ones i think look rad!
-tyler hatzikian

Blog 365YoYoTricks

Crow

• The Nation
Re: Set of Celtic Mandalas
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2010, 12:09:23 PM »
How about a trivia question or two?  Who was Mark?  Who thought of changing the name of the store and picking up the domain, skilltoys.com?  The laser burn on the Celtics is different on each side... Why?  No, winner does not get a prize, and definitely not these yo-yos.

Wow. I don't even know some of these. I have no idea who Mark was. As for the Skilltoys idea, I'll guess Grahame Wright (Chimera), although it's just a shot in the dark.
--
'Crow

Crow

• The Nation
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2010, 12:28:51 PM »
If only we had a time machine.

--
'Crow

jblack

• The Nation
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2010, 01:09:38 PM »
I know, I know - I need to shoot some new pics...

Crow

• The Nation
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2010, 05:36:12 PM »
I bow down before JBlack's awesome Kuhn collection.

--
'Crow

griffin w.

• The Nation
  • Wardfin
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2010, 06:58:56 PM »
These collections are all very impressive, I definitely want to get an sf era no-jive sometime.

Here's my no-jive, a flying camel. I posted a picture of it a while ago, but here are a couple of new shots.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4404446417_15876116c8_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2736/4404447071_0cfdafd662_b.jpg

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:00:05 PM by griffin w. »

sicyo

• "It’s time to evolve ideas. You know, evolution didn’t end with us growing thumbs." - Bill Hicks
  • The Nation
  • throwing since '96
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2010, 07:10:20 PM »
That butterfly mandala up there in dave's post is to die for!

The cheese no jives were dubbed by me (I think) because they looked like they were made of cheese lol

Crow

• The Nation
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2010, 07:41:28 PM »
The cheese no jives were dubbed by me (I think) because they looked like they were made of cheese lol

What year were the Cheese Jives made?
--
'Crow

jblack

• The Nation
Some More quick Pics
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2010, 08:23:45 PM »
A Test run color - silver over black

Here's another one of these popular ones:

The rest of my pics will be in the Wood thread....