Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tom Kuhn Appreciation thread.  (Read 62583 times)

wayne

• The Nation
  • Wood is good :^ )
Tom Kuhn Appreciation thread.
« on: February 21, 2010, 01:39:02 AM »
I for one can't get enough of Dr Tom's fine yo-yo's and would love to see more.
It would be great to see some of the rarer 3-in-1's like the Aspen or 1984 Olympics, but all Kuhn's are welcome especially those much loved ones you throw everyday.

Also I'll try to show how the earlier San-Fran era 3-in-1 Mandala's differ from the later BC/What's next examples.

For those with an interest in the history of Tom Kuhn yo-yo's here's a link to attybud's excellent Chronology of Tom Kuhn Yoyos.

Here are some pre-bc/whats next 3-in-1's. These earlier San-Fran era 3-in-1's tend to have a richer color, and the laser engraving of the Mandala examples is deeper and much crisper than that of the more modern BC yo-yo's.

Flying Camel

Imperial Camel

Sunburst Mandala, also know as a Starburst.

Second generation San-fran Sunburst (reduced size carving)

Butterfly Sunburst. This was a special release of the Sunburst from around 1990. Usually, mandalas were only made in the standard imperial shape, except of course for the Flying Camel. Only a few hundred were run of this concave Mandala.

Snowflake Mandala. This is by far the deepest engraved mandala I've ever seen,
the close-up I hope gives some idea of this depth.

Second generation San-fran Snowflake

Filigree Mandala.

Here's a side by side comparison shot to show how the above yo-yo differs from a BC era yo-yo of the same design.
The most obvious difference is the reduction in size of the laser carved pattern on the re-pro, look closer and you will notice that a lot of the fine detail in the design has also been lost.

The same yo-yo's as seen from the side. Notice how the originals pattern carries on further down the slope of the yo-yo halve.

The most striking difference can be seen in these close-ups.
The BC at the bottom looks black and scorched as opposed to the cleaner wood color of the original, when seen like this it's obvious how much fine detail has been lost, the original has much sharper and deeper engraving.          

Here's another side by side shot to show how the later BC example differs from an early San-Fran era yo-yo.

Beware though only the very early San-Fran Mandala's have this wider deeply engraved pattern.
The picture below shows three examples of the same design, both the top two Snowflakes are from the pre-BC San-Fran era.
The reduction in both size and depth of the laser carved designs took place before BC/whats next took over full production of the Mandala No-Jives, as you can see though BC has used a darker wood-stain to bring out the design of the one on the bottom.

San-fran/BC Camel comparison shots.

As you can see there's a big difference in fine detail when you get close up.

Pre-BC matte maple Clean machine (no stamp) hex nut has been polished for a little extra bling

Maple Diamond Special, This and the walnut version below were made to commemorate the 10th anniversary (1977-1987) of Tom Kuhn yo-yo's.  

Walnut Diamond Special. This Walnut version is the rarer of the two Diamond 3-in-1's, and lighter than the above maple version.

Neiman Marcus Mandala.

Abercrombie & Fitch

A rare Butterfly stamped wood-stain

Red and yellow wood-stain

No Jive Jr and TK Beginners. I've shown these two together to demonstrate how the Jr is basically a 3-in-1 made using Beginner halves. The Jr has a softer profile but is essentially the same shape as the Beginners.
A big thank you goes out to Dana (yoyo408) for trading me the Jr.  

Smo Bro Yo-er. The Smo Bro Yo-er is a signature model for the Smothers Brothers. One of several designs made for them by Tom Kuhn Yo-Yos.

Mint in box San Fran No-Jive.

A group of San-Fran 3-in-1's showing a good variety of color and grain pattern.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now here are some later examples of 3-in-1's from after Brad countryman 'BC' took over full production and distribution of the tom Kuhn line of yo-yo's.

World's 1999 fixed axle challenge Sunburst.

Area 51 yo-yo club.   A big thank you goes to ed for trading me this beauty.

Flying camel.

Sunburst.

Snowflake.

Filigree.

These next six were comissioned by David Hall for sale through his old Skilltoys on-line store and feature art work created by Scarecrow aka Matt Carter or Crow to his friends. I think you'll agree these are some of the most beautiful Mandala's ever made.  

Here's a quote from the man himself regarding their creation.

"I always loved Kuhns, and wanted to do some custom mandalas for my store. My No Jives always played better, but nothing looked or felt like a Tom Kuhn mandala!  I came up with an idea for doing "Cultural Art" mandalas from around the world.  I suggested the idea to Scarecrow, and commissioned him to do a Celtic design, since I've always loved Celtic knotwork.  I sent him some sample celtic mandalas as examples, and a book on celtic knotwork.  Matt came up with two great designs, instead of one.  The Celtic Rings was my first choice, but Mrs. Scarecrow loved the Celtic Star.  But we were unsure that the laser resolution could deal with the heavy burn at the center of the star.  Since we could not decide on a favorite, I went with both.  Expensive, but in hindsight well worth it.  We had an immediate issue with Brad, that the designs needed to say both "No Jive" and "Tom Kuhn" along with "Mandala".  Scarecrow quickly made a third and fourth graphic, which doubled the lasering fees.  That is why the text is different on each side on the Celtics."

And a word from the artist

"I was pretty happy with the Quatles and the Celtic Mandalas. The projects were ripe with problems though. The Quatles either ended up too deeply burned or not burned enough. If memory serves me, the Celtic Stars were sort of pixelated looking. Something went wrong at BC during the transfer of the artwork from the digital realm to the yo-yo. But the Celtic Rings came out fantastic. I was very proud of those. It was a tough project. We only got one shot at it, and Tom Kuhn had to like the design enough to sign off on it."

The Celtic collection.  Butterfly and classic (imperial) in both star and ring designs.
A big thank you goes to Crow for his help in making this collection complete.
Just like the Quatle's and laminates underneath, these were a special run which were only available through the old Skilltoys on-line store.  A very limited run, only 200 of each design were produced, 100 in butterfly and 100 in the standard/imperial configuration.    

Butterfly Quatle. As with the Celtic's only 100 of each shape were made.

KC Jewel, imperial Quatle. This is one of the more deeply burned ones giving it a more antiqued look.

Rainbow and purple laminates. Again only 100 of each color/shape were produced.  

Blue stained clean.

A Custom yo-yo's stamped version of the above.

Big Yo Commemorative a special 3-in-1(printing over the hex nut) released to commemorate the 25th Anniversary launching of Tom Kuhn's Big Yo, the World's largest yo-yo.

25 year No-Jive.

25 year painted

An unusual black painted form around 2000. Standard painted No-jives usually have an airbrushed stripe, this one however is from a batch that apparently missed that airbrush stage.  

Nice group of painted No-jives including yoyoguy (Devil girl) special  

15th anniversary No-jive Woody.This commemorated Dr. Kuhn's 15th year as master yo-yo maker. There was a celebration and contest on June 13th, 1992 in San Francisco.

A reverse color of the above yo-yo, This version was used for prizes and special gifts at the event. A very rare color combination.

World on a string Woody

25th anniversary maple leaf Woody.

Hummingbird re-production of the original maple leaf Woody.This is a re-creation of one of Tom's first attempts at the ultimate yo-yo. Only about 20 originals were made, most were given by Tom to close friends.

Celebrate Life Y2k

Magda 95er

XEKO Wood rocks fixed axle Woody

Area 51 Roller Woody

Gray with Pink stripe Roller woody

Solarflash Sleep machine. The first laser engraved Sleep machine sold to the public.

Laminate Sleep machine blank.

TK 60 and laminate RD1's

Cherry and Blueberry RD1's

Wood Rocks Redline, This special release was made to commemorate the 35th year of Tom Kuhn's dental practice (1970 -2005).

TK Whistling wood the first whistling yo-yo made since the 1970's, and the first ever high performance bearing axle whistler. It's basicly a whistling Redline.

SB1

SB2

Tortoise shell SB2

You've seen mine, now lets see yours.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:42:33 AM by wayne »

Douglas Brown

• The Nation
  • Need any help? That's why I'm here.
Re: The NO-JIVE show-off thread!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:08:11 AM »
There are a TON of gorgeous throws in the wood thread.

I am in love with the color of those early laser-carved models.
Quote from: Elephark
Nobody can agree precisely what yoyoing is, yet everybody wants to argue about it and take it way too seriously to the point that people get tired of talking or even thinking about it. Thus, yoyoing is art.

Crow

• The artist formerly known as Scarecrow
  • The Nation
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 08:09:31 PM »
Very nice collection!!!!!  It's always nice to see No-Jives. Those Mandalas are especially sweet.  O0

I don't have any collection pics. Most of my individual pics are in the wood thread. Here's a shot of a bunch of my No-Jives, in a case made for me by Vince Cobb (Yo-Pilot) many years ago.

Left to right, from top to bottom:

Old San Fran-made No-Jive, butterfly Rainbow, classic Rainbow, my first No-Jive

BC Clean Machine, classic Quatle, Quatle Roller Woody, butterfly Quatle

Area 51 No-Jive, old stained No-jive, old stained No-Jive, Area 51 No-Jive

classic Celtic Stars, butterfly Celtic Rings, butterfly Celtic Stars, classic Celtic Rings

Neiman Marcus, butterfly Smothers Bros Winery, classic Smo-Bro, Batik

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 08:24:19 PM by Crow »
--
'Crow

Why soar like an eagle, when you can fly like a camel

We'll be remembered not for our collections, but maybe for some of the things we've done with them, and hopefully not for what we've resorted to in order to obtain them.

ed

• wood is good.
  • The Nation
  • http://SPYY.ca
    • Saturn Precision Yo-Yo's
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 05:54:59 AM »

1: 2-handed naturals, pair of nice bc-eras, 25 year
2: blue stain, green metallic, purple metallic, red/black, blue white
3: celtic rings, celtic star, quatle, bc sun, snowflake
4: camel, purple la,., rainbow, 2x ii whites
5: mini clean, jason tracy clean, tung-oiled clean, #1, carved

1: walnut diamond, natural diamond, kc jewel, sf-era, sf-stained
2: sf camel, sf sun, smo-bro, neiman marcus, y2k area 51
3: abercrombie, national semiconductor, blue clean, 2a cleans
4: 2a reds, white/blue sleep machine, nat. sm, sb-2
5: 2x black/silver, signed maple leaf, signed rd-1, pocket rocket

and i went ahead and made an album of no jive videos... i kind of have a lot.
http://www.vimeo.com/album/185207
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:01:49 PM by ed »
i wanted to take my board-building design and my surfing, without the shortboard influence, into an area that was uncharted territory."
-tyler hatzikian

Blog 365YoYoTricks

wayne

• The Nation
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 06:33:08 AM »
What can I say but WOW!!! Crow or should I call you Mr Scarecrow. :)  I would trade several small parts of my anatomy for an area 51 and a Smothers Winery. Tempted?

Hi ed, I think recognize two or three of those, You must have caught me at weak moment I still can't understand what I was thinking of trading those fine pieces of wood for a cold hard piece of metal. Although I can't think of anyone else I would rather have them.   O0  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:05:58 AM by wayne »

Crow

• The Nation
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 06:40:51 AM »
Wow! Another kick-butt No-Jive collection. I envy your Diamond Specials. Fate never seems to coincide with me on those.

Ed - Is that one of those bargain TJ-Maxx display cases? i remember everybody buying them back a long time ago. I think that i have a couple of them those exact same cases........ somewhere around here.
--
'Crow

We'll be remembered not for our collections, but maybe for some of the things we've done with them, and hopefully not for what we've resorted to in order to obtain them.

Crow

• The Nation
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 06:45:05 AM »
What can I say but WOW!!! Crow or my I call you Mr Scarecrow. :)  I would trade several small parts of my anatomy for an area 51 and a Smothers Winery. Tempted?

Hi ed, I think recognize two or three of those, You must have caught me at weak moment I still can't understand what I was thinking of trading those fine pieces of wood for a cold hard piece of metal.

Friends call me Matt or Crow.  O0 

i feel better knowing that i'm not the only one who has mistakenly suffered the allure of aluminum at the cost of a Kuhn. I feel like slapping myself on the back of my head every time i think about it.
--
'Crow

BosK

• Stay on target..
  • The Nation
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 06:49:43 AM »
nice stuff!^^

someone should start a wooden yoyo trick thread to accompany all these beautiful collections  :)

ed

• wood is good.
  • The Nation
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 07:23:59 AM »
Hi ed, I think recognize two or three of those.

totally! thought i'd shouted out to you, but must have forgotten!
i wanted to take my board-building design and my surfing, without the shortboard influence, into an area that was uncharted territory."
-tyler hatzikian

Blog 365YoYoTricks

wayne

• The Nation
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 07:37:35 AM »
Hi ed, I think recognize two or three of those.

totally! thought i'd shouted out to you, but must have forgotten!

No you didn't forget bro, I remember a big shout that came my way.

BIG NIC

• The Nation
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 11:13:15 AM »
got my first old No Jive over the weekend!... soooo sweet!! ::happycry::

I think it's a SF era one but not quite sure.... anyone?!

....Now I just need a few more!  O0

B/S/T  -  1 of a kind yoyo's!  -TRADES!!
- RARE 3yo3 IceFu, 1Drop Dietz, Oscillatrix , T5.. Make an OffeR!
http://www.yoyonation

ed

• wood is good.
  • The Nation
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 11:53:15 AM »
yeah... thought the mail today necessitated a post... and caused me to switch up the display (edited above).

-tyler hatzikian

Blog 365YoYoTricks

Crow

• The Nation
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 12:17:52 PM »
Nice score!!!!!   O0 O0 O0   I don't recall ever seeing a National Semiconductor before.
--
'Crow

Crow

• The Nation
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 12:21:39 PM »

That would be my guess, but I kind of stink at telling them apart. The "No-jive" side just looks too thin, detailed and dark to be a BC.
--
'Crow

ed

• wood is good.
  • The Nation
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 12:32:22 PM »

That would be my guess, but I kind of stink at telling them apart. The "No-jive" side just looks too thin, detailed and dark to be a BC.

DEFINITELY sf-era.
-tyler hatzikian

Blog 365YoYoTricks

sicyo

• "Itís time to evolve ideas. You know, evolution didnít end with us growing thumbs." - Bill Hicks
  • The Nation
  • throwing since '96
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 01:34:09 PM »
I like that datachecker Ed!

I was always fond of the white butterfly ones as well, maybe I'll get my hands on one eventually.

Crow

• The Nation
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 07:24:05 AM »
Here's another No-Jive from my collection, that I don't think I've posted yet. it looks to be some sort of freaky Brad Countryman prototype or something. Maybe somebody would be kind enough to shed some light on it. The yo-yo was stained different colors in different areas before being varnished.

And here's just something that I thought was cool. I took a picture of a BC-era Mandala (snowflake), right after taking a picture of a SF-era Mandala (sunburst). The two pictures really illustrate the incredible differences between the quality of the laser engraving. The SF-era Mandala has such deep and perfect engraving, with a wonderful natural wood looking color inside of  the engraving. The BC-era engraving is comparatively very shallow, and the staining is very dark. I don't know what changes in production process made them so different, but they are indeed hard to confuse. The SF-era ones look much nicer, while the BC-era ones are probably much more amenable to being changed over to "butterfly mode".

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:26:06 AM by Crow »
--
'Crow

yotoy

• The Nation
  • Panda Love
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 01:47:21 PM »
The beauty in this thread to overwhealming.. Nice stuff out there.

sicyo

• "Itís time to evolve ideas. You know, evolution didnít end with us growing thumbs." - Bill Hicks
  • The Nation
  • throwing since '96
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 03:28:50 PM »
idk why but that looks like cheese

Crow

• The Nation
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 03:48:26 PM »
idk why but that looks like cheese

Jeweled cheese? That's what i call sharp cheddar!!!!
--
'Crow