Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: YoYoRecreation/44re:creation appreciation/collection thread  (Read 54510 times)

yomagic

• Joey Serrano
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
  • VsNewton/Werrd/YYF- All any yoyoer needs
Re: YoYoRecreation/44re:creation appreciation/collection thread
« Reply #600 on: July 01, 2012, 10:14:50 AM »
Who said that?

It's just that if they used 6061 aluminium, or tried something else in their design, they would loose their identity.

What is their identity? Making amazing yoyos, yes. I would say a very high majority of yoyos on the market are made of 6061 and those are amazing yoyos as well. Why not try to reach to a different fan base who want great yoyos but at a more affordable price. There are many companies who cater to expensive and affordable prices and they are doing very well I would say
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:15:50 AM by yomagic »

YoAaronD

• The Nation
« Reply #601 on: July 01, 2012, 10:21:12 AM »
If YYR sometime decided to make a model out of 6061, I doubt anybody would even notice.

naoki

• The Nation
« Reply #602 on: July 01, 2012, 10:38:22 AM »
YYR has grown developping the philosophy of producing the best performing yoyos ever, which I believe they manage to do. This has always been their identity, and this is why their yoyos sell out so easily, even at 190$. You can't reproach Ferrari not to produce family cars. It's important to have a company thaty sells exclusively luxury items.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:38:56 AM by naoki »

NathanC

• The Nation
« Reply #603 on: July 01, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »
YYR has grown developping the philosophy of producing the best performing yoyos ever, which I believe they manage to do. This has always been their identity, and this is why their yoyos sell out so easily, even at 190$. You can't reproach Ferrari not to produce family cars. It's important to have a company thaty sells exclusively luxury items.

But they're not luxury items, don't fool yourself, aren't there rumors going around about them being made in China by and large(not that there's anything wrong with this), and haven't they had issues with vibe, ano, and weight discrepancies lately(+2 models)? Plenty of throws for less that have none of those issues. The only reason YYRs cost $190 here is because of a Yen that's at multi-year highs, not because they're some ultra-premium product. In Japan, where most YYR are sold, they're priced pretty much like most other throws, slightly higher than some, slightly less than others, but not the huge discrepancy we see here. I would argue that their yoyos don't sell out easily at $190 because there's lots that have been available at that price from American stores that haven't moved. They sell out fast at 14,800 yen, but that's completely different. The feelings you have for YYR are easily explained by economics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good .

Not hating, i've owned 5 YYRs, i just laugh when people put them on some pedestal as if no other company could possibly achieve the same thing.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:10:50 AM by NathanC »

naoki

• The Nation
« Reply #604 on: July 01, 2012, 11:38:09 AM »
BUT the fact is that they cost 190$, whatever issues there can be.

What I keep hearing is: 'Oh! I would love to get one of those  YYR yoyos, but they are too expensive' (which is often: 'because they are too expensive') you feel often proud to claim that you own a few YYR yoyos, because it involves a lot of other things. But you it's not that often you will hear: 'Hey! You know what? I managed to pick two (insert any company that produces yoyos from 5$ to 150$)  yoyos!'It clearly doesn't have the same impact. That's why I call them luxury item.

Yes you can laugh, but those people you're laughing at are basically similar to those who are fond of YYF, C3, CLYW etc...

The question is not: 'Is this item worth its price?', it is: 'Do you feel like this item is worth its price?'

Of course it can easily be explained by economics. But it only has an importance if you're a manufacturer. A manufacturer must produce thinking with his brain, a buyer must buy thinking with his heart. This is the only way for both parts to be fully satisfied :) And that's why some people can only be satisfied with excessively expensive items.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:40:19 AM by naoki »

attybud

• The Nation
« Reply #605 on: July 01, 2012, 07:09:42 PM »
Anyway, YYRs are great - how they play and all, well, they're swell!    Anyone know when the PerfectStar is expected to drop?   I really like its shape and specs. 
             Indeed, I did.  I did, indeed,
             My daring-do with all due speed. 
             Without due speed, I dare not do,
             What ho, indeed - not one, but two! 

888alltheway

• Certified Narwhal Baconer
  • The Nation
  • Herp the Derp
« Reply #606 on: July 01, 2012, 08:48:58 PM »
The biggest mistakes of my life are,

1)Not being alive in the 80's
2)Not getting to see a live performance of Joy Division
3)Not being at Japan Nationals 2012.

theTopo

• The Nation
« Reply #607 on: July 02, 2012, 04:54:47 AM »
But they're not luxury items, don't fool yourself, aren't there rumors going around about them being made in China by and large(not that there's anything wrong with this), and haven't they had issues with vibe, ano, and weight discrepancies lately(+2 models)? Plenty of throws for less that have none of those issues. The only reason YYRs cost $190 here is because of a Yen that's at multi-year highs, not because they're some ultra-premium product. In Japan, where most YYR are sold, they're priced pretty much like most other throws, slightly higher than some, slightly less than others, but not the huge discrepancy we see here. I would argue that their yoyos don't sell out easily at $190 because there's lots that have been available at that price from American stores that haven't moved. They sell out fast at 14,800 yen, but that's completely different. The feelings you have for YYR are easily explained by economics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good .

YYR are definitely a luxury brand, flaws or not. Them being a Veblen good is part of what makes them a luxury item.

Even in Japan they're more expensive than basically any non-Japanese brand, including luxury American brands such as CLYW and Anti-Yo. The Japanese could easily buy the cheaper foreign brands, which are widely available, but presumably choose to pay the YYR premium for similar reasons to those outside Japan. If there's some other reason for YYRs popularity in Japan I'd love to hear it from someone actually personally familiar with the Japanese scene.

YoAaronD

• The Nation
« Reply #608 on: July 16, 2012, 09:36:36 AM »
Got a Diffusion last week. Not really feelin' it. I knew it was gonna vibe, but... This is like earthquake vibe.

It played ok with the slim bearing, but when I swapped that out for the normal bearing, it just doesn't play very well. Protostar blows it away, in case anybody's wondering.

Nowa

• The Nation
« Reply #609 on: July 16, 2012, 01:10:08 PM »
Thanks to bud for the acrophobia :D

Stewie410

• I can has Electronica?
  • The Nation
« Reply #610 on: July 19, 2012, 06:23:55 AM »
Anyway, YYRs are great - how they play and all, well, they're swell!    Anyone know when the PerfectStar is expected to drop?   I really like its shape and specs. 

The PerfectStar and a bunch of other protos/prepros are on that one store that charges $189 a piece for anything YYR.
So, yeah.
www.soundcloud.com/j_a_a_b

My BST:  http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php/topic,106221.msg1121234.html#msg1121234

For every deal that happens, there's 20 behind it that fall through.
It's probably some aluminum/unicorn horn alloy.

attybud

• The Nation
« Reply #611 on: July 26, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »
I love YoYoRecreation throws.  Pretty much all of them.  I have tried most, with only a couple of exceptions (one of which I might never experience, for I do not play off-string).  Here is a current photo of my Top 40 Case.  It contains a big part of my YYR collection.  Check it out! 

FIRST ROW: OxyTi 2011, 1-of-2 JWong Capt. America Double-Shield Chief, GeneralYo Torrent (Original, #47), 3YO3 Ti5 (#02), Levi Painted Plaid Peak (1st Run), Bison Peak (1st Run), Ti-Walker (#20), Wounded Steel GM2. 

SECOND ROW: YYR Jealousy (Prototype, Never Produced), YYR "Take That" Sleipnir (2011), YYR Blue 1st Run Sleipnir (2009), YYR Pink Horse Sleipnir (2011), YYR Silver (Clear Anodize) 1st Run Sleipnir (2009), YYR Third Impact (Prototype, Never Produced, Gruntbull Anodized in Antifreeze), DreadnoughtG, YoYoJoker Eternity (Special YYRewind Early-Release "Skull" Edition). 

THIRD ROW:  Scarce YYR Mr. Butcher Prototype (originally called the Hiroyasu Ishihara Signature Prototype - 6 were made in 2011 and sold singly by Kengo Kido at the 2011 Asia National Contest - produced in a 2012 production run, and renamed the Mr. Butcher), YYR Red StarDust2 (2011), YYR Blue Gleipnir, YYR Pink Overdrive, YYR 44Clash (GreenBlast Model, 2010), YYR 44Clash (RedBlast Model, 2010), YYR PerfectStar (Raw, 2012), YoYoJoker Luminous (Special Edition). 

FOURTH ROW:   YYR Blink Prototype, YYR Blink (red), YYR E=MC2 (blue), YYR E=MC2 (pink), YYR E=MC2 Prototype, YYR 44 ClashCube (black), YYR Fragment (black), TP Positron ("Burnout" Model, anodized by Turning Point, 1-of-1). 

FIFTH ROW: Scarce YYR Z-ON Prototype (originally called the Miyamura Signature Prototype - 7 were made in 2011 - produced in a 2012 production run, and renamed the Z-ON), YYR StarDust V2 (RedBlast), YYR StarGazer (1st Run), YYR StarGazer (PinkBlast), YYR Messiah (rare PurpleBlast), YYR Acrophobia (black), YYR 6 (Prototype), and TP Positron (Marcus Koh "Kill Everyone" Model). 

Newbies United

• The Nation
  • Jesus Loves You.
« Reply #612 on: July 26, 2012, 07:02:58 PM »
Would really like to get my hands on a YYR. Love the shape of them.

However, I have no clue what to get. So I figured I would ask here. :)

I really liked the VsNYYC SKywalker, It had this feel to it. Not sure if it was a solid feel or a floaty feel. (I'm kind of an idiot, not sure which is considered which) The chief had some of that feel. So which YYR would be best suited for me? I prefer full sized. I also liked the Gen-Yo KLR.

Basically what I'm asking is what YYR plays like a Skywalker. hehe.

Edit: So I decided to take a closer look at the highspeedyoyo review on the Skywalker, apparently it's light and floaty? I really love that feel. Now I'm just wondering what YYR is like that.

EDIT: Nice collection up there!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:09:41 PM by Newbies United »

attybud

• The Nation
« Reply #613 on: July 26, 2012, 08:09:12 PM »
For the qualities you love, I share the sentiment.   My favorite YYR for the longest duration has been the Sleipnir.   It's full sized, not too heavy, and  has a certain degree of the floaty feel you describe,  

Nuance, however, varies the Skywalker from any YYR.   The best answer I can give, to your stated question, would be to find a Sleipnir.   Not easy to find - but worth the effort.  

Acrophobia probably fits, too.   Blink and Fragment, if they met your full size criterion.  

Respectfully,
Bud
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:33:49 AM by attybud »

Newbies United

• The Nation
  • Jesus Loves You.
« Reply #614 on: July 26, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
The qualities you love, I share.   My favorite YYR for the longest duration has been the Sleipnir.   It's full sized, not too heavy, and  has a certain degree of the floaty feel you describe,  

Nuance, however, varies the Skywalker from any YYR.   The best answer I can give, to your stated question, would be to find a Sleipnir.   Not easy to find - but worth the effort.  

Acrophobia probably fits, too.   Blink and Fragment, if they met your full size criterion.   

Respectfully,
Bud

Thanks. I don't really mind undersized, I know I love the Hatrick. Oversized is just a bonus. The Sleipnir looks like just my thing. The shape of the fragment looks great, I love the sort of concave v shape, but I'm worried about the well being of my hands with it. The blink also looks great, though. In fact, they all look great. Hm. Lucky for me, I just spent all my yoyo money on a Chief. I got a feeling someday I'm gonna have to buy all of these. Also, for the silver color of YYRs, are they raw or clear anodized?

attybud

• The Nation
« Reply #615 on: July 27, 2012, 12:31:30 AM »
If undersized would work for you, the YYR 6 is a wonderful, light throw.  

If you consider OVERsized a bonus, the Overdrive meets your criteria, as does the Dreadnaught.  I am carrying Sunny's old silver (clear ano) Dreadnaught (the regular, lighter version - as opposed to the DreadnaughtG) a lot recently.  

Respecting your last question, with YYRs, the term, "silver," means there is clear ano and engravings.  Raw YYRs are typically called just that. 

Brother, who could blame ya for investing in your Chief!  Man - what a fine throw!  

Respectfully,
Bud
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:59:10 AM by attybud »

thedeadyo

• The Nation
Re: Re: YoYoRecreation/44re:creation appreciation/collection thread
« Reply #616 on: July 29, 2012, 06:33:40 PM »
I've been watching for mint overdrive now for a while but nothing has shown up. So I'm thinking a 6 might be in my future.

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk 2

samyoyos

• The Nation
  • Ir Pad + Yoyorecreation +3a = happiness
« Reply #617 on: August 18, 2012, 06:59:47 PM »
I got a mint overdrive I am selling or trading. I know some of you wanted one so send me an offer via pm.
I use Gleipner for 1a and 3a.

hadoq

• yoyo-france.net - french yoyo blog&news
  • The Nation
    • yoyo-france.net
« Reply #618 on: September 23, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »

ragingpain

• YoYo x Gundam
  • The Nation
« Reply #619 on: October 17, 2018, 05:53:29 AM »
Iím selling my MIB Jealousy. Hit me up with a DM if youíre interested. Thanks!