Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need help deciding?  (Read 27059 times)

jokers10

• The Nation
Need help deciding?
« on: December 21, 2009, 09:59:15 AM »
A lot of people just can't seem to decide on what yoyo to buy and leave it up to the Nation to help you make your decision. There is nothing wrong with this except you may spend hundreds of dollars on a yoyo that you really don't like. I am going to use the 888 and the Peak in an analogy because they seem to garner a love/hate relation.

Both are solid throws, both perform extremely well, and both are worth every penny you spend on them, but both are loved/hated by the community. I love the Peak because I love how it floats through the air, and makes my tricks seem to magically happen with little force. Some people hate the Peak for how big and gangly it can be at times, or how it might have a slight vibration (not my opinion Chris). I love the 888 because it is extremely well built, is the epitome of YYF smoothness, and is small and comfortable in the hands. I hate it because it seems to feel like a rock on a string, but others like this feeling because it requires more user control (My opinion on that one Ben).

So before you spend that money and ask which one the Nation likes better, answer these questions so we can help you as best as we can.

My budget is $_____.
(We want to suggest a yoyo that is in your price range.)

I would prefer my yoyo to be made out of wood/plastic/metal/hybrid. (Choose one)
(Usually dictated by budget as well, but in certain cases it can help.)

I want to use it for 1A/2A/3A/4A/5A/Other. (Choose one)
(If you are unsure what each style is, jump on over to the yoyowiki.org.)

My favorite yoyo I have played and would like this yoyo to be similar to is _______. (Make and Model)
(The nation has played with many yoyos and can make a better suggestion based on what you are trying to emulate.)

I love/hate/have never played (Choose one) pad response.
(This is a touchy subject for some people. Personally I hate pad response and will never buy a new yoyo with it.)

My favorite color is_______.
(Sometimes the yoyos available are so similar it all comes down to a matter of looks.)

This is basically all most people would really need to recommend you a yoyo. It leaves out confusion, and provides you almost no opportunity to butcher the language people speak on this board. My recommendation is to copy and paste what is bold and add any additional info that isn't covered. You could also add a poll to narrow it down to the few yoyos you might think fit the criteria as well.

Zuha

Re: Need help deciding?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 10:44:13 AM »
Well written, should be stickied. Great job.

Aero

• The Nation
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 12:52:41 PM »
Sticky! I hope this results in less "WAT YOYO SHUD i GET?!??!" threads.
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, I hurt people!

jokers10

• The Nation
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:59:24 PM »
It might not lower the amount of overall what should I get threads, but it should lower the amount of threads that have no information to help.

Max

• The Nation
  • LF Fade OG projects, worth your while ;]
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 10:59:11 AM »
i think if you add a little more for suggestions and maybe some personal opinions of descent throwers around here that its sticky worthy. but id sticky if for now because the forum DESPERATELY needs this, but multiple copies in the new to yoyoing and in the ned a review /suggestion topic boards

EDIT: add links to wikiyo, much better w/ that.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 11:01:18 AM by Max »
Yo it up!

ALWAYS on the look for OG project fades

Douglas Brown

• The Nation
  • Need any help? That's why I'm here.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 04:04:22 PM »
I like this, mostly because I hate those topics that have absolutely no information. Thanks, jokers, and stickied.  :)
Quote from: Elephark
Nobody can agree precisely what yoyoing is, yet everybody wants to argue about it and take it way too seriously to the point that people get tired of talking or even thinking about it. Thus, yoyoing is art.

JudTM

• Team Southern Spin!!!
  • The Nation
  • 1a, 4a, and 5a thrower!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 05:59:06 PM »
Well written, should be stickied. Great job.
I completely agree.  I am very glad this was stickied.  Every newbie should read this before buying a new yoyo.  Truthfully, even veterans should read this before purchasing a new yoyo.  I have been throwing for a while, and even I sometimes find myself almost buying something just because it looks pretty and other people have hyped it up.
God save us \"Spinners,\"
Jud

keyofnight

• Woo!
  • The Nation
    • They blog I don't update much...
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 02:30:48 AM »
Very good.  O0
(Few people write this well on web forums, and I appreciate it when they do.)
"One thing is needful.—To 'give style' to one's character—a great and rare art!"
—Friedrick Nietzsche, Die Fröliche Wissenschaft, Aphorism 290.

MagicPeople

• The Nation
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 10:25:33 AM »
<150$
metal
1A
only my first hi-end 888
all responces
good splashes

PS Need CLYW

Sammas

• The Nation
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 02:47:13 PM »
Just got a spyy addiction cheers for the help guys.

spinfan

• The Nation
  • gotta go, gotta throw.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 07:54:28 AM »
the reason this wouldn't help though is that some people won't know what they like for lack of diversity of what they have played with. sometimes it the only way to get the right yoyo is waste 500 dollars on 5-6 yoyos to see what one likes. for example i have not  played with many different response systems so i don't know if i like hybrid vs. o rings. but still good work and i will probably use it my self.  O0
thanks-   
my index finger Is cut, the string is red,careful cutting your string...
^ wasn't I really depressing then, ya kids, don't be like this, it isn't cool.

JAX%^

• Super­cali­fragi­listic­expi­ali­docious
  • The Nation
  • JYOYO Owner and Creator
    • JYOYO
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 09:04:51 PM »
>35 <10 bucks
1a
Plastic or hybrid
Any response system as long as I can silicone it
Butterfly shape
Black, grey or white in color
Unresponsive
I enjoyed a poptart, but instantly regretted eating the whole box.

JAX%^

• Super­cali­fragi­listic­expi­ali­docious
  • The Nation
  • JYOYO Owner and Creator
    • JYOYO
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 08:40:34 PM »
Hey thanks for helping... ( sarcasm ) I got a legacy for the heck of it.
I enjoyed a poptart, but instantly regretted eating the whole box.

Mr. Eli

• The Nation
  • Team A2Z !!!!!! You Only Live Twice !!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 05:00:08 PM »
You forgot one  . Will it fit my hand good . I have heard many  folks  say  they  require this .
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 05:08:10 PM by Mr. Eli »
☻/
/▌
/ \

This Is Alphonso.
Copy and paste Alphonso and he will soon take over yoyonation.

Reap >Just >What > You < >Sow ..............

xBrandonBoothx

• The Nation
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »
I have a cheap 15$ yoyo called the Zombie by Razor. I was wondering, how canI increase the sleep time because sleep time is like 5-10 seconds. The bearing on it is not ball bearing it's some other bearing, I don't know. I need to know what can I do.
Lubricant?
New bearing?
(Don't tell me new yoyo :tickedoff:)

I want a decent sleep time. Not asking for much, not asking for 40 hours. Atleast 20-45 seconds?

Please help, I'm a yoyo n00b.

Yoyoers Mom

• The Nation
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »
My 9 year old has gotten into yoyos, he has several but now says he needs an unresponsive one and I am not sure what to get him. So far all the yoyos he has are from ToysRUs. I don't know enough about the yoyos to confidently buy from the Internet where the cost could be higher with shipping, as well as not being able to return or really know what I am getting. I'll put what I can below and hope to get some good responses. Thanks for any help.

My budget is $ __. if we can stay between 10 and 20 total cost, including any shipping charges.

I would prefer my yoyo to be made out of wood/plastic/metal/hybrid. (Choose one) I have no idea, what is better for a boy learning tricks?

I want to use it for 1A/2A/3A/4A/5A/Other. (Choose one) he is a beginner, but catches onto things quickly and would like to be able to use the yoyo for a while. I don't want him to outgrow his yoyo in a week or two because he has learned the beginning tricks and needs a new yoyo to learn more tricks.

My favorite yoyo I have played and would like this yoyo to be similar to is _______. (Make and Model) he has a bunch of yoyos and uses them all, he doesn't really have a favorite because he wants to do tricks and is not able to do them with what he has.
(The nation has played with many yoyos and can make a better suggestion based on what you are trying to emulate.)

I love/hate/have never played (Choose one) pad response. so far we have not dealt with pads or lubes and would like to stay away from these kind of extras, if possible, to keep the cost down.
(This is a touchy subject for some people. Personally I hate pad response and will never buy a new yoyo with it.)

My favorite color is_______. he loves lime green, Carolina blue and other colors, but is more concerned with what he can do with a yoyo, he doesn't have any trouble picking from what is available.
(Sometimes the yoyos available are so similar it all comes down to a matter of looks.)

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the extra strings we have are mostly Duncan and that is the brand I recognize most, but I have also been trying to learn about other brands.

(:TBT237:)

• The Nation
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 12:01:24 PM »
My 9 year old has gotten into yoyos, he has several but now says he needs an unresponsive one and I am not sure what to get him. So far all the yoyos he has are from ToysRUs. I don't know enough about the yoyos to confidently buy from the Internet where the cost could be higher with shipping, as well as not being able to return or really know what I am getting. I'll put what I can below and hope to get some good responses. Thanks for any help.

My budget is $ __. if we can stay between 10 and 20 total cost, including any shipping charges.

I would prefer my yoyo to be made out of wood/plastic/metal/hybrid. (Choose one) I have no idea, what is better for a boy learning tricks?

I want to use it for 1A/2A/3A/4A/5A/Other. (Choose one) he is a beginner, but catches onto things quickly and would like to be able to use the yoyo for a while. I don't want him to outgrow his yoyo in a week or two because he has learned the beginning tricks and needs a new yoyo to learn more tricks.

My favorite yoyo I have played and would like this yoyo to be similar to is _______. (Make and Model) he has a bunch of yoyos and uses them all, he doesn't really have a favorite because he wants to do tricks and is not able to do them with what he has.

I love/hate/have never played (Choose one) pad response. so far we have not dealt with pads or lubes and would like to stay away from these kind of extras, if possible, to keep the cost down.

My favorite color is_______. he loves lime green, Carolina blue and other colors, but is more concerned with what he can do with a yoyo, he doesn't have any trouble picking from what is available.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the extra strings we have are mostly Duncan and that is the brand I recognize most, but I have also been trying to learn about other brands.
I think what your son needs is the new yoyofactory velocity, it can play both responsive and unresponsive. It's $20 and it comes in lime green and blue.

Yoyoers Mom

• The Nation
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 06:54:08 PM »
Thanks, I had seen the Velocity and thought about it but didn't want to spend $20 on a whim. Is this one that will also need brake/friction pads or anything else?  He uses his yoyos a few hours a day so I imagine if there are pieces that wear out I will need to learn about them (with him).

(:TBT237:)

• The Nation
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 09:18:16 PM »
The response will last for a long time and new pads are cheap and easy to replace. The yoyofactory whip is also a good cheap choice that comes in blue and green.

nexxusdev

• The Nation
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 05:57:02 AM »
My budget is $90 lower is better but i can afford  O0

I would prefer my yoyo to be made out of metal

I want to use it for 1A

My favorite yoyo I have played and would like this yoyo to be similar to is:
I used to have a YYF Boss which I loved, recently tried a Protostar and loved how light/ fast it felt.

Iam ok with pad response?

My favorite color is black  :-P

Currently I can get a Nova for $56usd where I am, but I am also considering others such as the Supernova lite. ( hmm maybe the supernova 2012 - non lite? same price as lite but comes with the multi tool :D) or the burnside?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 08:27:57 AM by nexxusdev »