Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: IV's Guide to Practical, Safe and Efficient Modding.  (Read 12065 times)

IV

• How doth yo-yo?
  • Homebrew Affiliate.
  • The Nation
  • moshi moshi, IV desu!
IV's Guide to Practical, Safe and Efficient Modding.
« on: October 31, 2009, 08:01:52 PM »
Part 1: A modification and you.

Every mod does something new and exciting to a yoyo, whether it be a polish job on metal, a dye job on plastic or something as simple as introducing silicone sealant to a deep smooth recess. Some of us, however forget just how and what mods do and why they're done.

But first... what is a mod?
A mod is anything; and I mean anything that's done to a yoyo in order to change or enhance it's performance. It can be anywhere from completely reshaping and creating an all new yoyo or just changing a response pad. Anything that changes the yoyo is considered a mod.

HOWEVER! We must ask ourselves. Why mod anything at all? Is nothing good stock?
Most mods are done for the following reasons::
-Aesthetics, as in painting, dyeing or anodizing a yoyo
-Performance, such as a satin finish, a KK bearing, new pads or silicone.
-Random idiocy, such as throwing your yoyo onto concrete over and over again.

Most people who attempt a mod are people who have done it before. That said, most people who are doing these mods know what they are doing. They are skilled, hardened individuals who could silicone a yoyo in under 4 minutes and 33 seconds. Other struggle and contort at the thought of doing something they have never before attempted. FEAR NOT! We were all once a person who never attempted something we've never done until we attempted it. Learning is about experience. Without experience and effort one cannot gain anything. So here we are. Let us delve now deeper into the modding culture with some safety advice.

Part 2: Safety and why it saves millions of lives every year.

The yoyo world, unlike most hobbies and trends is full of things that; while modding a yoyo... under some circumstances can kill you.
Here's a list of the most popular substances found during yoyo modding that can most certainly, depending on use; kill you.
-Acetone
-Sulfuric Acid
-Bleach
-Silicone
-Metal
-Sharp screwdrivers
-Things that sharpen sharp screwdrivers.
-Things that sharpen the things that sharpen sharp screwdrivers.

Safety is key in this regard. Remember, acetone has been linked to cancer. Sharp objects have been linked to impaling and bleach has been linked to the late King of Pop's face.
Remember... safety first. I Dye a lot of yoyos, I've done quite a few. I wouldn't be caught dead not wearing rubber gloves when I dye. Sometimes, if I'm using Acetone or other chemicals, I apply a face mask to protect my senses from such terrible woes as cancer and what-not. Don't be a square, be in the know! I'd rather have a nice looking yoyo than a melted face any day. Heck, without safety you'd have both!

Part 3: Your Ego is not your friend.

Every so often a young man appears before us willing to take the plunge into suddenly knowing everything strait out of the womb. He is obviously thousands of years older than any of us by his soul alone, I'm afraid. He's a skilled genius from zygote onto preteen.

WRONG!

Things yoyo modding is::
-Fun
-Awesome
-Easy to learn the basics of
-Delicious(if playing with candy yoyos that don't exist)

Things yoyo modding isn't::
-Auto part building
-Soldering
-quick-prototyping
-welding
-the list goes on and on.

For instance, let us say that you have many years experience molding little plastic Buddha figurines that all rub their stomach's mechanically. You toiled at your work, gaining recognition, amazing favor. You became a god among men. Suddenly you decide that you want to make a yoyo. Heck, you can do this. You make Buddha out of plastic. How hard could making a yoyo really be?

In another instance you can find one person just about monthly here state that they have properly siliconed every yoyo they own and it constantly rips out. I want to make this clear to all of you.
-There are a good 5,000+ yoyoers in existence that are a part of this community or are aware of this community.
-A good 85-90% of those people can properly silicone a yoyo and have no problem with it.
-You are one of hundreds of people who have had this same question and have all been solved eventually.
-It isn't the silicone.
-It sure an't the yoyo.
-take a guess.
-Yep, it's you!

Practice makes perfect and watching other people who have no problems helps more. Learn from your peers. This can sway many problems in the yoyoing world. You aren't alone, don't act like you are. We're all in the same big melting pot of a world that you are so don't feel like you're the only person who has ever had this problem.

Just because you can boil an egg doesn't mean you can make a yoyo. There are things that many people will never understand. My grandfather is a machinist. He knows nothing at all about yoyos yet can thread a needle on a lathe even though that's impossible. He can warp reality via metal tools. Anyway, we decided we were going to start the production of yoyos. I come back a week later and find strange wobbly things dangling about his shop that play like rocks on a string.

Just remember when you're making egotistical statements. There are people here that have been doing this for more than a decade, some even more. We knew what we were doing before you got here and we still know what we're doing now that you are here. We are the help. We're the best you've got. From Icthus to whoever's username starts with Z. We know. We've heard the same questions for years upon years. We've answered the same one you're asking many times and even if we haven't. It's not a far-off shot that we might still know what we're talking about.

Part 4:: Is the effort worth the effort?

This is the question to most everything you could possible ask. Is it worth the effort. A guy walks into a bar... um, a yoyo bar. He has no experience modding yoyos and wants to mod a butterfly to accept a C-sized bearing using silicone and utilizing hubstacks.

Would this person be better suited doing::
A: Buying a b-grade 888 and shutting the hell up.
B: Asking millions of questions on something he can't do on his own.
C: Attempting the mod with no previous advice.
D: Growing a Beard

The answer of course is D, growing a beard. We would also accept A. Some mods, even though this is arguably false or true depending on who you are; aren't worth the effort. Lets take a look at the things you would have to gather in order to undertake this mod, shall we?

-A Duncan Butterfly
-A Large SPR Kit
-A Drill press or Lathe
-A way to tap an axle into the butterfly
-An axle for the butterfly
-A Bearing
-Pads
-and so on and so on.

Yoyos that are sold stock that are made the way they are are sold that way for a reason, so you'll buy them. A rock is still a rock no matter how many wheels you put on it. It doesn't make it a car. Effort is indeed important when considering a modification. Here's a few mods that are practical::

-Modding an M1 to accept hubstacks. It takes 5 minutes to do, it's easy and it creates an all-new play experience for the yoyo. It's also very stable and very efficient.
-Siliconing a yoyo that can accept silicone.  It may take a little bit of time to dry but a good silicone job can last years.
-Recessing a Freehand Zero. Most people have the parts and utilities to do this without any preparation or purchasing. It can be done with most common household items and results in a very fine yoyo modification.
-Dyeing a plastic yoyo. Do you feel like the David Bowie of the yoyo world? Now you can, get out that glue gun and get out those dyes. It's time to get... faaaaabulouuuus!

Part 5:: If you have a lathe, you are now a Demi-god on the verge of becoming Zeus himself.

If you have a lathe or know someone who does, you are now endowed with amazing new abilities. Things you can do on a lathe far outdo the things that are possible on a Drill. For instance, one cannot recess a yoyojam yoyo on a Drill as there is no mounting point on the back. However one can grip the yoyo on a lathe and recess it. Isn't that nifty? I thought it would be.

If you are new to the yoyo world and have access to a lathe, it would be best not to jump in head-first. People with lathes can also hurt things. A lathe is a powerful tool, a magical hammer of the yoyoing gods! You must consider the width of the yoyo, the material of the yoyo, the size of the yoyo and so forth and so on until the end of time for all time.

You also are not alone, many other people on this forum own lathes and are willing to help with your plight. Remember that all rules according to modding still apply if you own a lathe. However it just makes everything 458.23% better. Give or take a few percentiles.

Part 6:: COMMON SENSE IS SOMETIMES RARE or THE GLORY IS IN YOUR HAND, TAKE THE YOYO IN STRIDE!

The rules of life and the universe still apply to yoyos. This may shock you, I know.
Here's a list of things that common sense may skip over you with::

-Water rusts things
-Glue gets hard
-Epoxy is not silicone
-Plastic is not metal
-Spraypainting is not anodizing.
-Your teeth aren't a pair of pliers.
-Spit can't clean off counterweight dings
-Lighter fluid whether in the lighter or not, still catches on fire.
-Acetone is a chemical
-Electricity can kill you
-Heat melts things
-Boiling water is still hot, despite it looking like coca cola.
-Fast heavy metal thing + stationary fleshy bone thing = mutilated fleshy bone thing

This is the same for many hobbies. A lot of new PC users will do plenty of seemingly dumb things but when though of at the spare of the moment, seem like good ideas. If you have any doubt as to your ability to do something or if you seem to have some little hint of idea that what you're doing might not work.

STOP.
Get online, here or at any of the other forums.
Ask a question.
Get the answer.

THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM ARE HERE TO HELP YOU!
We aren't here to eat your face or stab you with knives.
The internet doesn't allow us that luxury.
We have to stick to answering questions for now.

So.
-Don't yell.
-Don't cuss.
-Don't scream.
-Don't wine.
-Don't insult us.
-You asked us a question because you wanted to know the answer.

"Just be a nice person!"
-Wayne Coyne - The Flaming lips

and if you are nice, we will be too.  O0

Many of you are poor, some are rich. Yoyos cost money. Many of the ones we're trying to modify cost close to one-hundred dollars. That's a lot to lose if something goes wrong. Be careful with your things, they should be important enough to you that you personally would like to be proud of your work. When you modify a yoyo, if you modify a yoyo; you want to make sure that you do the best job possible with the tools you have available to you. That's what we're here for. Some of us may come off as mean pissy people but we're just telling you the truth. Many things aren't possible, a lot of things are. Until those impossible things become possible, we'll still be here.

And that's all.  O0
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:23:15 PM by IV »

darkfire32

• The Nation
Re: IV's Guide to Practical, Safe and Efficient Modding.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 08:12:39 PM »
well, looks like i'm not going to start modding any time soon. probably should be stickied too

tyler3490

• The Nation
  • Surely you jest.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 08:14:14 PM »
a great guide that made me laugh a few times both at my own stupidity and that of others  O0
sticky anyone?
PM me if you want any mods done
"Why would anyone do drugs when they could just mow a lawn." - Hank Hill

icthus

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 08:47:57 PM »
 Guide to Practical, Safe and Efficient Modding.

Pay someone. lol

xixsilverxix

• I dumped my gf for a DINGO
  • The Nation
  • Press dowN on the right stick to teabag
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 08:48:27 PM »
This
 Is
 crazy

-me-Who likes pie?!
-you- I do!!!
-me- you do?
-you- yup
-me- ok then you should have been on a pie forum, not a yoyo forum.
-you- "leaves with no pie"
-me- (da*n I wish yoyos tasted like pie)
-me- hey mom! Where's my DINGO?

frunk

• The Nation
  • Earn it! Freedom is a Personal Responsibility!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 02:45:25 AM »
It may take a little bit of time to dry but a good silicone job can last years.

okay, i want to know how to make my silicone job last YEARS.  can we go over this?

edit: OTHER than siliconing the yo-yo, letting it sit around for more than one year, and then getting around to playing with it...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:46:53 AM by frunk »

Hellsing34

• The Nation
  • Yo-Yo Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 05:00:13 AM »

very good guide O0

This is Important if you BST with me

I live in Latvia in Europe

Ruchka

xixsilverxix

• The Nation
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 06:31:17 AM »
Wait so how do u get the gold nuts out of the m1, without damage?
-me-Who likes pie?!
-you- I do!!!
-me- you do?
-you- yup

yoyospirit

• The Nation
  • Modder
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 07:16:36 AM »
Sticky.

I think you just put in a longer axle.

xixsilverxix

• The Nation
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 09:36:38 AM »
^^
nah u have to take the nuts out
or else it might vibe (duh)
-me-Who likes pie?!
-you- I do!!!
-me- you do?
-you- yup

IV

• How doth yo-yo?
  • Homebrew Affiliate.
  • The Nation
  • moshi moshi, IV desu!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 11:09:29 AM »

okay, i want to know how to make my silicone job last YEARS.  can we go over this?

edit: OTHER than siliconing the yo-yo, letting it sit around for more than one year, and then getting around to playing with it...

X-convict + red rtv permatex silicone = basically forever.

I only recently had to replace it, it lasted for more than two years on one silicone job and it was one of my more played yoyos.

St. Jimmy

• The Road to Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 11:19:09 AM »

I only recently had to replace it, it lasted for more than two years on one silicone job and it was one of my more played yoyos.

i also like to stick to the rule, if you want something done well, dont BS your way through it. if you want silicone to last a long time, sit down a take a little time to apply it well. usually, (or so i've found) the best-looking silicone jobs-hence the ones that people actually put effort into doing well, last the longest.

IV

• How doth yo-yo?
  • Homebrew Affiliate.
  • The Nation
  • moshi moshi, IV desu!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 11:22:20 AM »

i also like to stick to the rule, if you want something done well, dont BS your way through it. if you want silicone to last a long time, sit down a take a little time to apply it well. usually, (or so i've found) the best-looking silicone jobs-hence the ones that people actually put effort into doing well, last the longest.

The glory of the fact that it lasted is that the silicone actually wore down uni-formally, it didn't tear. The recess in the X-convict was done just like newer yoyos I own, however the recess in the silicone was almost one full mm deeper than the others when I replaced it meaning that the silicone didn't tear when it got old, it actually wore down bit by bit over two years until it was that deep.

A Lonely Yo-Yo

• The Nation
  • Ian Bouchard
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 11:31:04 AM »
S
T
I
C
K
Y

kobansora

• JJ
  • The Nation
  • Keep "YO" soul!
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 03:58:07 PM »
Although this does deserve a sticky in my opinion because I find it hilarious, not many kids will read it. The irony in this is that the majority of people that ask questions do not read anything and this would be no exception.
YYN Feedback!
Pics Upon Request translates to I Am Lazy

Max

• The Nation
  • LF Fade OG projects, worth your while ;]
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 05:02:20 PM »
good post, useful =]. +1 for sticky
Yo it up!

ALWAYS on the look for OG project fades

Douglas Brown

• The Nation
  • Need any help? That's why I'm here.
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 09:26:42 PM »
If you want something Stickied, tell someone that can make it happen.  :)

This is a great guide. It's important to realize that talking tech can get boring for anyone, and your use of humor is "spot on!" as my friend will shout in an English accent.

If anyone wonders why this is not in the sticky with the list of guides, I say that it is because this applies to everyone. If you enter this forum, you need to have read or understand IV's post.

Thumbs way up. Thank you for writing this. It is my new friend.
Quote from: Elephark
Nobody can agree precisely what yoyoing is, yet everybody wants to argue about it and take it way too seriously to the point that people get tired of talking or even thinking about it. Thus, yoyoing is art.

IV

• How doth yo-yo?
  • Homebrew Affiliate.
  • The Nation
  • moshi moshi, IV desu!
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 10:29:07 PM »
If you want something Stickied, tell someone that can make it happen.  :)

This is a great guide. It's important to realize that talking tech can get boring for anyone, and your use of humor is "spot on!" as my friend will shout in an English accent.

If anyone wonders why this is not in the sticky with the list of guides, I say that it is because this applies to everyone. If you enter this forum, you need to have read or understand IV's post.

Thumbs way up. Thank you for writing this. It is my new friend.

Exactly. I wanted to to be understandable, humerus and still educational. There are so many monotone bastards around here that just spit it at you and keep going about their business. People need a friendly introduction.

but... getting a sticky?
Jesus.. I'm blushing like a kissed prom queen.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:29:37 PM by IV »

qpwoei12

• The Nation
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 05:11:02 PM »
well, u got ur sticky
And the heavens shall TREMBLE

ronin

• The Nation
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 08:41:14 PM »
This is a great read.  To some, like myself, modding is a way of life.  I have been modding since a kid.  Then it was slot cars, rewinding the armatures to go faster, bikes, model cards, then real cars, cameras, xboxes, etc, now yos.  And also, along rthe way you meet other modders and ideas start to take off.

i enjoy reading the posts here, absorbing what is being done.  I need to look for my Dremmel in storage.

Cheerrs.