Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: String Comparision Guide (UPDATE 3/27/09)  (Read 82257 times)

REEDX

• The Nation
  • Hella swagged out 24/7
String Comparision Guide (UPDATE 3/27/09)
« on: December 30, 2006, 10:58:27 PM »
String Comparison Guide

Author: Reed (x-convict)
Basic facts:

Slick 6 is thinner than slick 8, while type 10 is the thinnest.
Type 9 is in between 6 and 10 as far as thinness.
Slick 6 is a 3x2 strand
Slick 8 is a 4x2 strand
Type 10 is a 2x5 strand
Type 9 is a 3x3 strand

1a = One handed string play
2a = Two handed looping
3a = Two handed string play
4a = Yoyo not connected to the string
5a = Yoyo not connected to the hand

Slick 6

Length: Incomplete Data but operate anyway, Doc.
Humidity: Bad, but slightly better than the yellow slick 6 (from what Iíve experienced)
Lasts: 2-3 per day per yoyo (4-8 hours a day)
Recommendation: All
Summary: Great for every play style. Not great with humidity and loses feel fast.

Yellow Slick 6

Humidity: Bad; very sticky.
Lasts: Not very long. 1-2 a day (my experience.)
Summary: Great for every play style; not great with humidity; loses feel fast; heavier than normal slick 6.

100% polyester

Humidity: Good.
Lasts: 2-3 days (my experience)
Summary: not as heavy as slick 6, but still whips alright. I prefer this to slick 6.

Slick 8

Humidity: Probably the same as Slick 6. Arizona doesnít have any humidity to test this. So tell me your personal experiences.
Lasts: Dunno, havenít tried it. Let me know what you think.
Summary: No experience; if you have experience with this string and would like to share, please pm with a review matching this format.

100% Cotton 8

Humidity: Terrible.
Lasts: Not long.
Summary: The standard string you see on toy yoyos everywhere. I hate it. But some like it.

100% Cotton Type 9 Dyed

Lasts: Not long.
Summary: Just cool colored basic string.

100% cotton type 9

Lasts: Not long
Summary: Its just string? Nothing special about it.

Brazilian

Humidity: Great.
Lasts: 1-2 weeks
Recommendation: Players
Summary: Unresponsive; feels great (soft); little on the short side compared to highlights. Volta string gives my hands a weird itch, but with Mondo itís all good.

Theyo Grey Polyester

Humidity: Meh.
Lasts: 2-3 days
Summary: Soft

YYN Highlights

Length: ~104 cm
Lasts: ~One a day for me, but thatís if I am playing hardcore on one yoyo. Plus I love the feel of new string. Itís all preference with these.
Summary: Nice colors; amazing feel; amazing play; amazing string. It is my personal widely available favorite.

YYG Day Gloís

Lasts: ~One a day for me, but thatís if I am playing hardcore on one yoyo. Plus I love the feel of new string. Itís all preference with these.
Summary: These are the same as Highlights but slightly longer.

Theyo Bright Lights

Summary: Same as Highlights

Gnostic Cables

Humidity: Great
Lasts: Pretty much forever MANG
Summary: Stiff; slack great; have a short break in time; play amazing. His normal String is great as well.
(Side Note: Gnostic pretty much dropped off the face of the earth. I havenít heard from him in a long time. Not since I placed a string order with him. Letís hope heís all right.)

Angel Hair

Length: ~110 cm
Humidity: Amazing.
Summary: Long break in time; stiff; slack great; very similar to Gnosticís cables.

Rayon String

Humidity: Decent
Recommendation: unresponsive Players
Summary: Very fast and loose. Lacerations and hooks are improved. Highly unresponsive, knots slip off, so double tie loops.

Nylon String

Humidity: Probably good. Most harder string types do.
Summary: Unresponsive and good with slacks, long lasting.

Alchemy String

Humidity: Great in humidity as it doesnít get ďstickyĒ
Summary:  This string is a real love/hate thing. Iíve gone through phases of liking it but most of the time I tend to hate it. Go figure. Iíd rather have highlights.

LNES String

Humidity: Plays about the same as Highlights in Humidity
Summary: Great string, plays similar to other home made poly string, which is good and lasts long.

Demon Wire by Paul

Length: approx 4'
Humidity: Very Good, Barely affected.
Recommendation: Players.
Summary: stiff, slick, lasts a very long time. Slack and whips are very fast and stay open better than polyester or cotton. Comes in a small variety of colors and twists. Expensive. Made with 100% nylon, only in type 8 (4X2)

Bungee string

Length: Really short at first, gets really long.
Humidity: Fantastic
Summary: Starts out ok, but losses it's stretch in about two weeks, and then plays amazingly. A bit thick. The people who like it REALLY like it, but most people don't like it.

Bunny Rope

Humidity: Pretty good.
Summary: Very coarse. This makes it rough on the fingers for any fast play. It slacks and suicides really well.

Nam Threads

Humidity: Decent
Summary: Good string that plays similar to G-String.

Empire Threads (www.empirestrings.webs.com)

Humidity: Good
Lasts: One week at least
Summary: I got this thread in 2 different twists. One was tight and one was loose. I liked the tighter one a lot better. The string tension on it was constant and it did whips and slacks amazingly.

Chazís Chaztacular Fishline String

Length: ~5 feet
Humidity: Itís made of fishing line, so it doesnít stick at all in humidity.
Summary: Charles sent me some of this stuff and I have to say, its very interesting. Super unresponsive, super good at slacks etc. feels unlike any other string. I really canít imagine this string breaking, either. Itís a hella good but hella weird string.

G-String by Paul Wallace (http://www.yoyoGstring.com)

TH: Very thin and very unresponsive. Iím not a huge fan of this string, but if you have some old school small-gapped yoyos you might want to try this out. Itís also very coarse, like angel hair.

PX: Very good string. Does everything much better than you could ask. Whips, lacs, slacks, suicides. You name it and it does it perfectly. Kind of thick though, so getting used to it could be kind of interesting. With all these monster-gapped yoyos around these days itís the perfect string. In addition to that it is very soft and feels great on the fingers. The downside is that this string can have trouble keeping a tight wind on yoyos that donít have a tight response system.

Original: Doesnít quite hold itís own anymore. It plays a lot like just died white polyís, without the stiffness of highlights.

SSE (Slack/Suicide Edition): It does what its name says: does slacks and suicides exceptionally well. Itís soft but will take anything you throw at.

Intenus: These are like the love child of highlights and Brazilian string. They play as such. Great slacks, the whole nine yards. Just a good string, canít go wrong here.

CC (Cotton Core): This is a new format Paul sent me to try out, and I have to say, it is THE best yoyo string I have ever used. After a week and a half of constant play, even with 3 individual threads snapping around the bearing it still felt and played like the day I put it on. It keeps a tight wind and doesnít get dirty that fast. Slacks and suicides amazing, soft, but firm, it is pretty much the perfect string.

This is a work in progress, and is updated when new information is available. If you would like to donate string for me to review, please pm for my address and I will readily supply it.

Last update: Mar. 27th, 2009

Thank you for the continued support.
Much <3,
Reed

OUTSIDE REVIEWS:

So one day I PM'ed Paul and put my maximum allowed order in for for three bundles of ten strings. I bought some Oh Oh Orange, Safari Twist, and the Blue Radian in SSE.

With all the hype on G-strings and not knowing what SSE was all about, I only payed the premium on one bundle to try it out and see for myself what Slack/Suicide Edition really means.

Well, weeks of waiting was starting to drive me crazy 'cause I had a new yo-yo I wasn't going to touch until I had the hype string for my first throw. Needless to say I broke down 'cause I couldn't wait forever. But to get back on track, my little envelope of 30 strings finally came in. I was surprised they weren't bagged or something to protect them from moisture or humidity, but I guess that's not as much of a concern when it comes to 100% poly as opposed to all cotton. Oh, I suppose I should also mention that this was my first purchase of poly string. I've normally been a Slick 6 kind of person. I threw some strings on all my favorite players keeping the  colour scheme I had in mind when I ordered the stuff and started with some basic throws. Man, after all that waiting, I was disappointed. I did some shuffling around and found combinations of pads and yo-yos that worked okay, but for the most part I just couldn't understand what all the hype about G-string was over. Taking the string apart left me even more unimpressed. I'm not trying to bash the stuff, it just didn't feel 'right' to me, sharp, straight, jerky, the feel of the yo-yo through the string was just all wrong for me. It's been a couple of weeks now though, and first of all, I have to say, I would have been through 3 Slick 6s already, but this string is just breaking in. Its okay, but it still isn't my favorite. Not when I have some SSE!

The Suicide/Slack Edition must be intended for serious players. I suck. I'm just a clutz who likes to challenge himself and develop his hand eye coordination. So, no whips, no slack play, nothing above advanced in my 1A playbook, so I can't really tell you for sure how the SSE would perform under these circumstances, but if anything can be said about how a yo-yo feels through a string, alive would be the word I'd choose when it comes to the SSE. The Suicide/Slack Edition is like a living extension of yourself, dynamic and responsive to movement like no other string I have tried. Right from the first throw I was impressed. Really impressed. I wished I had ordered all my string in SSE. I couldn't believe the smoothness. And I just couldn't wait to see how it performed over time, considering Paul claimed that at first it would be really stiff and need breaking in. Breaking in! They were like an old pair of Levi's. I didn't want the feel to change. And apart from a little softening up they haven't. And they're tough. The laser engraving on my new Pyro chewed through a Slick 6 in 3 days. It chewed through a cotton in 20 minutes. Maybe the engraving has dulled down, but this SSE has been going for over a week and still looks good. The fraying near the bottom is the same right up the string, and that my friends is the only bad thing I can say about this stuff: the string looks worn and frayed and not crisp. Performance is what matters though, and the SSE is by far the best string hands down.   

UPDATE

To add to my review above, since I have had more time to play around with my G-strings, I would like to mention a few points. The regular g-string wears very nicely though the characteristics of play do not change much. It has a long life span, and I have also noticed that it prolongs the life of Duncan Friction Stickers, a very good thing indeed since we all know how fast they wear out.

In my obsession with SSE I placed an order last week for more, more, more. I bought some AQUA MARINA, LEMON AID, DOUBLE BUBBLE, and LIL' PINK, all in the infamous SSE. I received my order in less than week! Thank you Paul for a speedy delivery, especially when I know how busy you have been... Your effort is greatly appreciated. I was also blessed with samples of the soon to be released BR and S6A formats Paul has been working on. So, once again, thanks Paul. You definitely rock.

The first thing I did was get out my Pyro, G5, Cyclotron and Luchador, pulled out the strings, and started playing the new formats in each of them. Although I only got one string of BR and one of the S6A, I played for about 5 hours to get some good mileage on them and make a decent review.

I'm going to start with the BR.This must be G-String's answer to Highlights in that it resembled them and differed greatly from all other G-string formats. It is crisp looking, tightly twisted and a visual verification of Paul's professionalism. This particular one came in neon yellow and I was quickly drawn to it, so it was the first one I tried. The first thing I noticed is that it was very stiff... check the picture I posted further down in this thread. This is not necessarily a bad thing, that stiffness quickly went away after a few throws. It is also quite rough. What I mean is that I could feel the bumps of the twists, something I got used to after playing with my hemp string monstrosity. (If you haven't checked it out yet: http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php?topic=8316.0) Another major difference between the BR and other G-strings is that it is an 8x1 as opposed to a 10x1. It is also twisted tighter than other G-strings at 12 twists per inch. In fact, it was so stiff and tight that I had some difficulty getting it onto a C (YYJ) size bearing with the yoyo open. This tighter wind on the string makes it prone to quicker tensioning and kinking. This is only a minor drawback though because it is that high twist count which gives this string its other characteristics. It plays perfect, like any normal string should. Although it is a little slippery on DIf pads and requires quick snap binds, it spools very nice and tight on the yoyo. So far it seems to be a solid string and has not shown any signs of wear. And the best attribute of the new BR string is the bounciness. I first notice this characteristic in my hemp string, and this is exactly what the regular G-string lacks when I mentioned  it was jerky. This string might be very suitable for offstring play.

Onto the S6A. This string is very much like the SSE. I'd have to say its in between the regular G-string and SSE in construction and character, yet maybe just a tad better player. It is almost as soft as the SSE, a little firmer in slack play, and somewhat cleaner looking (in reference to the fraying). On average, it has a 9 twist per inch ratio where the regular G-string has 8, and the SSE 10. (Slick 6 has 10 for comparison). I keep comparing the S6A to the SSE because it is very much like it and probably indistinguishable at first glance. So, in keeping with this, like the SSE the S6A requires slow and deliberate binds but provides a much tighter rewind. With slightly less fraying, it is not prone to sticking to itself, a problem which is very noticeable when performing the ripcord and wormhole with SSE string. It does not twist on itself or kink easily, offers very good control and is probably the best choice for whips. Once again Paul, a job well done. You may have actually revolutionized yoyo string!

I would like to note here that these are my opinions and interpretations of performance. We all observe things in our own fashion and have widely varying preferences. The intent of these reviews are to offer insight to the different characteristics I have noticed,and  to help others better understand the various formats of G-string available. What I am saying is you have to experience it for yourself to pass your own judgement.

All right, so I did a trade with Kat and got some angel hair string with it.  I have a lot to say so stick with me on this one.

To start, all angel hair string I used was NEW when I first started using it.

There's only one word to accurately describe this string: WEIRD.  It is so different from regular string in so many ways.  When I felt the string for the first time, I honestly thought it may have been made of thin metal strips woven together... like iron cable almost.  it is very, very rough, and the roughness doesn't break in the way it does on highlights or slicks.  you know how when you first have a highlight, its rough and gives you rope burn, but then after only a few throws it starts to break in?  not so much for these.  these maintain their properties.

(I don't know what it is made of, but I would bet that it is in fact NOT made of iron cable, dont worry.  It's probably like a strong plastic, maybe dense nylon thread.)

First impression with this string: CRAP.  total garbage, I thought to myself.  it doesn't do anything well at first! 

It doesnt stay on your finger,
it doesnt slack
it has tension even when its neutral
again, its really rough

I was about to give up, but I read something saying you need to love it for it to love back.  aight, I have nothin but time, might as well break it in.

VERY glad I did, because it's a whole new story broken in.  It's still rough, but the play is unique.  It's very unresponsive, but it binds so unbelievable well.   

when doing tight tricks (meaning no slack, i like to make up terms), it plays very well.  If I was ever going to work on some long complex knot tricks, this is what I would reach for.  It gives good feel in the finger, and works well for these tricks. 

slacks are interesting with this string.  I would probably not prefer it, because it resists the slack loop, and when you do get a loop, if you're going too slow it'll tension up even if neutral.  what makes it so interesting though is that with the right amount of force, it slacks better then anything I've ever used.  however, I'm not Augie Fash and I'm not Eric K, so my slack loops are often lacking game and lacking the right speed, which causes really bad looping because, again, the string resists the loop if you apply enough force.

Another phrase I would use for this string is UNFORGIVING, but POWERFUL.  that pretty sums it up along with WEIRD.

its POWERFUL in the sense that when you're doing your tricks correctly and your using your yoyo correctly, the string rocks.

however, if you have too much tension, you'll really regret it.  bad throws... you'll regret.  Bad slack... Bad positioning on your finger...  BAD BINDS... you WILL regret bad binds.  what would normally "slip out easily" on vultos or highlights can turn into a black eye with this string.

I guess you can say that it does good things good and bad things bad, you get what I'm saying?

Now here's the real kicker: although it breaks in, the string maintains the same properties for a long, long time.  I've been using it for over a week and it hasn't changed since it broke in.  It's great because I like it like this, and I'm glad it's not changing.  However, it could be a bad thing since none of the bad properties are wearing out either, such as the roughness or tension problem.

Overall:  I'm glad I tried it and I'm VERY glad I broke it in a bit.  I would bet most you would probably not like it due mainly to its roughness and unforgiving properties, but I think the good out weighs the bad on this string.  Try it, and if you do try it, break it in.  I say its amazing.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:57:34 AM by X-CONVICT »
-Reed James

REEDX

• The Nation
  • Hella swagged out 24/7
Re: String Comparision Guide!!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 07:35:27 PM »
updated with the spelling errors and grammar errors corrected.

aslo, if you have any reviews to add please post them and i will edit them in
-Reed James

Cymbal monkey

• 0(^_^)0
  • The Nation
  • Yoyocandy Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:26:21 PM »
this dose not belong in the trick section.

My yoyos^    (plus tiphiter 2 and baby dert)

REEDX

• The Nation
  • Hella swagged out 24/7
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 07:53:37 PM »
well, its tricks; support; and exange. and i figured one of the mods woulda moved it by now. but w/e. thanks for commenting.  :tickedoff:

w/e lol. would one of the mods move it cuz i wasnt sure where to put it.

JJY: Done  O0
Oh, and it's "trick showcase, trick exchange and TRICK support"  :) 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 04:03:07 AM by jojoyam »
-Reed James

Cymbal monkey

• 0(^_^)0
  • The Nation
  • Yoyocandy Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 08:03:37 AM »
but Its a great guide, good job.

My yoyos^    (plus tiphiter 2 and baby dert)

m19

• The Nation
  • CowFly!!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 08:10:05 AM »
 O0 Good Job Reed

REEDX

• The Nation
  • Hella swagged out 24/7
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 03:35:50 PM »
thanks guys. and sry, i just wasnt exactly sure where to put this. because on the other boards i have this on its in like a noob/new section. and this board didnt have one.
-Reed James

wise old yo

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 05:20:35 PM »
do you want this to be a sticky?

REEDX

• The Nation
  • Hella swagged out 24/7
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 07:21:52 PM »
yeah  ;D

i hink it should be but its up to the mods  :coolsmiley:
-Reed James

Nate-dawg

• The Nation
  • Bape Shurilla
    • http://www.myspace.com/nateshu
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
perhaps you should add another review for Yassukuni string, aka the original, hand-twisted-with-a-drill brasilian string.  it is the best string and was never made after worlds '05, i believe.  vulto bought the "rights" or whatever to his string, but the type of polyester he used is no longer available, therefore none of the brasilian string to follow has been quite as good.  the highest echelon of string.

Nate-dawg

• The Nation
  • Bape Shurilla
    • http://www.myspace.com/nateshu
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 07:38:07 PM »
and i believe there is some nylon string made by YoYoFargo.  but i never got any.  supposedly the least responsive and very strong.

REEDX

• The Nation
  • Hella swagged out 24/7
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 07:42:40 PM »
yeah, ive only written reviews on what i could get. if you have any reviews to add pm me witht hem and i'll edit them in and give you credit
-Reed James

JumpingSun

• The Nation
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 02:38:58 PM »
We should definitly get a sticky on this.

Nice review!!
Mah band - Speedmaker7 on guitar
RHC - Rumley Hills Connection
As for me? Rockin' the drums 

Lookin for a bass player, pm me if you live in north jersey and play bass

REEDX

• The Nation
  • Hella swagged out 24/7
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 03:46:16 PM »
thanks! also, i am going to be editing it again soon so that it has pararaphs and underlining and boldness and junk.

hehehehe  O0
-Reed James

REEDX

• The Nation
  • Hella swagged out 24/7
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 06:14:27 PM »
ok, updating junk done. tell me what you think! an opinion from pat and weber would be cool (hint, hint*)  ;D
-Reed James

weber

• Your friendly Admin!
  • The Nation
  • Hello there!
    • Latest YoYoNation News
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 06:17:59 PM »
Excellent!!

Stickified - I would like more people to chime in with their opinions, comments and suggestions!

My first comment - isn't Type 8 = 2x4?

:)

REEDX

• The Nation
  • Hella swagged out 24/7
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 07:08:32 PM »
hehe, thanks. yeah. i messed up. i thought both 6 and 8 were the same but just looked it up and youre right. fixed!  O0
-Reed James

Outsidethe9

• The Nation
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 07:33:31 PM »
nice guide dude. i love string guides their made useful for beginners cause when i first started i said whats the difference between 6 and 10. is that the price? lol. "just asking, how come u didnt include type 10?

REEDX

• The Nation
  • Hella swagged out 24/7
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 07:40:07 PM »
i did. brazillian and g string are both type 10.  :)
-Reed James

Outsidethe9

• The Nation
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 07:50:06 PM »
oh woah sry lol oops. i forgot steve browns string is type 9. i have bad memory sry.  :idiot2: