Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tuning your BvM/PEAK/Dif/Bape/ILYY ect  (Read 19977 times)

BosK

• Stay on target..
  • The Nation
Tuning your BvM/PEAK/Dif/Bape/ILYY ect
« on: January 29, 2009, 11:20:23 AM »
I don't know if this will help anyone,
but i just thought I'd throw it out there for anyone who thinks their yoyo has a lil vibe.

Items needed:-

A BvM/PEAK/Bape/Dif ect...
PTFE tape.
A hex/Allen key to fit the axle.
Scissors

Take your axle out and wrap the last 6-7mm with loads of PTFE tape, at least 6-7 times
Then trim off the excess tape hanging off the end. (if needed)

A good piece of advice--- Wrap the teflon tape CLOCKWISE and when you screw the axle into the halve, it won't get unraveled.

Use enough so you can not turn it without the hex key
(i've used loads and i've never done anything to the threading)

Stick the axle in the same side the bearing tends to stay in PTFE end first, twist it until it stops.
(remember its got lots of PTFE tape on it  so it might only go in 2 turns)

You will then have a "non bearing half" and a "bearing half" (with bearing and the axle in it)

Put it together slowly.
When the non bearing half hits the end of it's thread, it will start to screw the axle into the bearing half.
Close the yoyo tight.
(sometimes the tape will move up the axle and not go into the yoyo threading, if this happens just try again, after a few times of you'll start to coat the inside with PTFE and it will start getting stiffer, but remember it needs to be really stiff or the axle will move over time)

Then open it again, spin the non bearing half off so you don't move the axle.

Now, get the hex key and stick it in the top of the axle, hold the yoyo up with the hex key pointing upwards (like you're looking at a clock).
Turn the hex key clock wise, counting how many rotations you get, until the axle end hits the other end of the thread.

Say (for example) you get 2 and a half turns before the stop.
now, wind the hex key back anticlockwise half the number you counted, (in this case one and a quarter times)

Put it together again, you now should have a perfectly centered and secured axle, and hopefully a smoother yoyo :)

If there still a small vibe you might need to turn it one way or another a little bit to find that “sweet spot”,
start with a quarter turn one way, see if its better than before.
If its not you’ll need to turn it the other way and try again, eventually you’ll find that spot where its smooth, and if you used enough tape/locktite it should be stiff and won’t move when you unscrew the yoyo

EDIT:
You can also use locktight.
let it dry, crack the axle open with the hexkey and then tune it the same way when its stiff and tight ^^
(this way works better tbh^^)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 09:24:07 AM by Dale »

Remote_

• The Nation
    • Smallfish
Re: Tuning your BvM
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:56:48 AM »
...and if anyone knows how to do it, it's this man!

Props to you BosK. I shall now be buying some tape and giving it a go!

Peace.

Mike.
Throwing: Wooly Marmot | Listening: Anything by Celer | Playing: Nothing at the moment | www.smallfish.co.uk

hellodave

• The Nation
  • I live for speed (.net)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 03:39:01 AM »
Very useful info, bookmarked  8-)

crackout

• ILYY
  • Manufacturer
  • The Nation
  • Say my name.
    • ilyy.de
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 03:48:27 AM »
I used some "cope with it"-tape on mine. :-P
ILYY.de

skelemania

• yoyoiny
  • The Nation
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 04:55:52 AM »
do you have pics to post?Its kinda abstract to me:(

DoubleJ

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 03:59:01 PM »
it woul dhelp so much if you did thi son a vid should it work on peaks to?

Simmy

• "But does your Granny wear a bowler?"... "Side saddle!"
  • The Nation
  • Keep still if you want us both out of this suit!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 01:39:22 PM »
Oh My GOD.

This works a treat, and will on most yoyos too.

As Bosk said, tape up like 1/4 of your axel, then cut off the excess hanging off the end, then stick it in, do it up till it stops, then put the other half of the yoyo on, screw it on until it stops, then twist the side you want the axel to stay in off to undo the yoyo. then do the allen key thing, and you're sorted.

This may sound "abstract" and "scary", but it works a treat.

And, err, what's the worst that can happen, a guey axel? ;D

Give it a go, you wont regret it.

Nice one BOSK! O0
Team ILOVEYOYO

LilNath

• The Nation
  • The shorter Nathan
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 12:29:20 PM »
Damn! My yoho is smooth as hell! Thanks Bosk, dead useful info, no more vibey yoyos for me  :)
Is on a boat! (according to Tyler :P )

yoyoxking

• Seth Trimble
  • The Nation
  • I am dissapoint
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 06:51:03 AM »
great stuff bosk and if i get a viby bvm i shaall do this! :D but my first run somehow is the smoothest yoyo ever lol  :idiot2: but im cool with that
YouTube
B/S/T
Check them out =]

yoyoxking

• Seth Trimble
  • The Nation
  • I am dissapoint
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 06:51:36 AM »
btw this should be a sticky cos its so helpful
YouTube
B/S/T
Check them out =]

gentry

• The Nation
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 04:35:16 PM »
thanks man that was really helpfull!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:47:14 PM by gpostein »

vegabomb

• L.J. Hurley
  • Your friendly Admin!
  • The Nation
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 06:48:54 PM »
Very Helpful. Should be made sticky.
For all your yoyo ordering needs please contact the good people at yoyonation towers..

info@yoyonation.com

stargazerO.o

• every day i spend alive, i'm that much closer to my death. you can't take it with you. the fact that i'm dying doesn't keep me from living. i throw what i want and I bang it on the ground - Ed H.
  • The Nation
  • Vs. Newton Yoyo Concepts
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 09:35:57 PM »

this isn't the best method to use on a peak. On a peak you want to screw the axle hard into one half, now you can and should use tape to get it in tighter and more secure it's basically the same procedure just don't screw the axle out a little bit, leave it in.

yoking

• i accidently the whole yoyo
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
    • http://www.landonbalk.com
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 10:16:24 PM »
A good piece of advice--- Wrap the teflon tape CLOCKWISE and when you screw the axle into the halve, it won't get unwravled.
Thanks to Ubberfish for the killer banner!
3yo3 yoyos! Mods, custom yoyos, recessing, weight ring addition, etc.   Feel free to IM me on AIM whenever!

CHIDNIT

• The Nation
  • CLYW <3
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 10:20:48 PM »
Items needed:-

A BvM/PEAK/Bape/Dif ect...
PTFE tape.
A hex/Allen key to fit a BvM axle.
Scissors

this isn't the best method to use on a peak. On a peak you want to screw the axle hard into one half, now you can and should use tape to get it in tighter and more secure it's basically the same procedure just don't screw the axle out a little bit, leave it in.

SimonUK

• The Nation
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 11:58:44 AM »
WOOT! Thanks Bosk, going to try tune my Trainwreck as its a lill vibey. STICKY FTW!
what is a flyaway dismount?

And this ladies and gentleman is proof that response is dead :(

BosK

• Stay on target..
  • The Nation
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 12:02:41 PM »

I've just got a peak and it vibes like my bison bvm with the axle screwed all the way into 1 side

Plays sweet once centred though

eNons3nse

• The Nation
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 06:02:08 AM »
The vibe on this BvM was really getting on my nerves and I'm having problems with this tuning method. 

It seems like the tape is not sticking to the axle very well so when I start screwing the halves together, at some point the tape grabs the yo-yo threads and the axle starts screwing through the tape which is sitting stuck to the outer threads.  Then when I'm screwing it together the bearings seats come to the point where they are less than a mm from touching but I can still kinda keep screwing.  I stop though because I don't want to strip my threads and there's really not much more I can screw them together anyways.  Then when I try to unscrew the non-taped half, the axle is stuck in that side tighter than the taped half and it's stuck in there really freakin tight.

I actually tried to use a different method though by just taking some measurements with a small ruler like this.

The axle is 5/8" in long (40/64").  The bearing is 12/64".  So that means that there should be 14/64" screwed into each side of the yo-yo when it's put together.  I taped the axle up and screwed it into one half until there was 26/64" sticking out measured from the bearing seat (not the top most flange). 

On throwing there is still a slight vibe, but it's much better.  This could be because of the mass difference on the ends of the axle because of the hex key hole, or it could just be the yo-yo I guess.  I'm gonna tweak it a tad to try to dial in further, but it's probably good enough at this point since it's not really noticeable while playing.  It's still not as smooth though as my other main players, my spyder and project, which both come with centered axles.  The BvM still seems more picky about slightly off throws, where with my other 2 yo-yos mentioned I can have an off throw with some visible wobble and when I pinch near the yo-yo I still don't feel any vibe.  Not the case here.

It's still a great yo-yo and tuning it this much makes it way better.  It's still something they can fix before they ship though.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 06:40:23 AM by eNons3nse »
"In the old days, Kinopah used to use Ragu sauce for cleaning bearings with moderately successful results.  Someone later discovered that it was best to stay away from the 3 cheese as this seemed to slow the bearing down somewhat." - madcow

BosK

• Stay on target..
  • The Nation
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 07:04:01 AM »
It seems like the tape is not sticking to the axle very well so when I start screwing the halves together, at some point the tape grabs the yo-yo threads and the axle starts screwing through the tape which is sitting stuck to the outer threads.  Then when I'm screwing it together the bearings seats come to the point where they are less than a mm from touching but I can still kinda keep screwing. 

you're supposed to do it with the bearing in

With the tape, the only thing i can suggest is try wrapping so part of the tape goes over the bottom of the axle

also, if you keep doing it, you'll cote the inside threads with PTFE and this will help build up tightness,
lastly screw the axle in 3-4 turns with the hexkey before putting the bearing on to ensure its nice and tight before you start putting it together
(if you can still turn the axle with your fingers, you're not using enough tape)

Earthwreck24

• The Nation
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 06:33:43 PM »
hmm seems pretty good...until you accidentaly drop a gt and get yourself a looper!!! haha