Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: String Making ::: A do-it-yourself instructional tutorial type thingy  (Read 41125 times)

MattB

• Homebrew Affiliate.
  • The Nation
Re: String Making ::: A do-it-yourself instructional tutorial type thingy
« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2011, 09:12:19 PM »
How EXACTLY would you make two or three colored twist string?

Making string with two colors is doable since a finished string is two strands twisted around each other.  Three colors would likely envolve some transition mid string, or one color for one strand and two colors twisted together for the other strand, like this:

(2 years earlier attempt at string making)

If you want to have two colors twist around each other, then they should meet at the loop end of the string that goes around your yoyo.  If you are using the pins/hooks in the wall/fence method for making string, then in the center you could use a map pin or hook in the middle of the run.  Run your first color thread from the left, around the middle pin and back to the left enough times (as many as you would normally do full length.  Then do the same on the right, only in addition to going around the pin, you must first run your spool of thread through the middle of the strands of the first color.  This way, you will have each color looping around the other at the halfway point.  Before twisting the string, you will need to take the threads off of the middle pin of course.  After the twist you will want to attempt to line up the ends as best you can to keep the color joint centered for the retwisting.

Have fun!

(clickable)

Puffpwn

• PM me if you have Titanium and want it anodized
  • The Nation
  • Epic g5...
« Reply #161 on: November 07, 2011, 08:57:10 AM »
ok, so it would be with two loops of different colors that hook inside each other?
Quote from: anonymous
\"Or maybe we are each others dads.\"

I am a titanium anodizer, PM me.

Puffpwn

• PM me if you have Titanium and want it anodized
  • The Nation
  • Epic g5...
« Reply #162 on: November 07, 2011, 06:16:37 PM »
Never mind, I get it  O0
Quote from: anonymous
\"Or maybe we are each others dads.\"

I am a titanium anodizer, PM me.

bobashek

• The Nation
« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2011, 10:27:26 PM »
I MADE A STRING, IT FELT SO GOOD :O golden yellow to go with my sky blue yuuksta <3 thanks for the tut!

yoyoGstring

• The Nation
  • Put this in your gap
    • yoyoGstring
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2011, 10:45:09 AM »
I MADE A STRING, IT FELT SO GOOD :O golden yellow to go with my sky blue yuuksta <3 thanks for the tut!

Most welcome. Keep on twisting! :)

/p
yoyoGstring.com - "Put This In Your Gap!"
Twitter: yoyoGstring
Facebook: Paul YoyoGstring

magicman21

• The Nation
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2012, 01:38:37 AM »
 started making string today! first 5 where wayyy to loose, then I cranked on the twisting so it was super tight, and I got a pretty decent string ;) But the tension gets twisted quickly, like after 2-3 throw I have to re adjust it to nutral. Is there a way of twisting, spinning, etc so I can make good string for whips and slacks?

Cheers,

~Chris Severson

ratfacedudeguy

• My name is Julian.... and I'm a YYRoholic
  • The Nation
    • My BST (Closed for now!)
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2012, 09:55:47 AM »
Really that just comes from experimentation. Just try different in-between configurations and eventually you'll find the sweet spot. Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:56:22 AM by ratfacedudeguy »

G1R24

• The Nation
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2012, 02:07:15 PM »
Just my guess but this seems to be furling, similar to what can be done for fly fishing leaders, in fact you can make 3 colored string, using three different strands, i do have a PDF showing how to do it. The instructions are given with a taper, because it is for fishing, but can be adapted to make un tapered yoyo string. If anyone is interested in getting the PDF let me know. (i have no financial incentive here) There are also furling machines that can be bought, they are not cheap, but you can furl very quickly here are two products that let you do this (they are both on the same website) <http://www.eclecticangler.com/categories/Special-Order/> also for two strand furling here are some websites with instructions (again they talk about and tell you how to make a taper, it shouldn't take too much ingenuity to make it without a taper), <http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/185> and <http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/henk/index.html> (as a side note you can follow the the instructions on the PDF except only use two strings not three.) I hope this helps.

I refuse to even acknowledge the SuperWide as a yoyo...

It is a diabolo with an identity crisis.
[/quote]

buddy jim

• The Nation
« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2012, 01:13:01 PM »
Cotton Poly blends make me smile. I found a thread type that finally gave me a mix for a good price 6000 yards for about $6.00.

yoyoGstring

• The Nation
  • Put this in your gap
    • yoyoGstring
« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2012, 05:03:26 PM »
Decent price. I pay far more. :(
yoyoGstring.com - "Put This In Your Gap!"
Twitter: yoyoGstring
Facebook: Paul YoyoGstring