Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Modding in 2017  (Read 147 times)

Saalomon123

• The Nation
Modding in 2017
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:07:56 AM »
Hey!

I'm new to the yoyoing (since last October) and I want to know if modding is still a thing. I just like the idea of making the an existing design better.

yoyospirit

• The Nation
  • Modder
Re: Modding in 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 11:05:35 PM »
Modding is definitely still around!  It's very different from what it was a few years ago however.  Yoyos stock nowadays need no modifications or tinkering to play well unlike yoyos then.  Modding nowadays is more repairs such as retapping a stripped yoyo or finishing such as polishing, powder coating, and anodizing.  There's no real point in spending hours to make a $15 yoyo play better when metals can be found for as low as $12 on eBay.

Pyrotechnic

• Um I'm sure something goes here, right?
  • The Nation
  • Pyromaniac
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 07:01:46 PM »
Modding is definitely still around!  It's very different from what it was a few years ago however.  Yoyos stock nowadays need no modifications or tinkering to play well unlike yoyos then.  Modding nowadays is more repairs such as retapping a stripped yoyo or finishing such as polishing, powder coating, and anodizing.  There's no real point in spending hours to make a $15 yoyo play better when metals can be found for as low as $12 on eBay.

Only if you don't enjoy or want every yoyo to be better. I have a YYF One that plays better than over half the metals I've ever played with and It's been modded HEAVILY by me. It just depends on what the modder can/wants to and what they actually can do. I've been modding like crazy since I got a lathe again. Got a backlog already of stuff I want to do lol. But hope to be picking up more work or parts soon.

yoyospirit

• The Nation
  • Modder
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 08:54:41 PM »

Only if you don't enjoy or want every yoyo to be better. I have a YYF One that plays better than over half the metals I've ever played with and It's been modded HEAVILY by me. It just depends on what the modder can/wants to and what they actually can do. I've been modding like crazy since I got a lathe again. Got a backlog already of stuff I want to do lol. But hope to be picking up more work or parts soon.

Definitely that too haha.  I don't really have the time (or money) anymore to experiment with modding.  I try to focus on just repairs now.  Of course, there's always room in my heart for a good old FHZ mod  :)