Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hey! im sure you guys get this a lot but... i have a few questions  (Read 70407 times)

GART

• The Nation
Hey! So i recently picked up yo-yoing and have completely fallin in love with it. Iv been working on a dark magic 2 by yyj and so far it its working great. Im landing a lot of intermediate tricks and i practice a good bit.

So here are my questions:

1) how long can my dm2 last me? and when i need to move up, what should i move to? i know this depends on what tricks you like, so as a reference, i really enjoy tricks like the mach 5.

2) I find myself putting on a new string about every 3rd day (practicing 3 to 6 hours day). Is this too often? I pretty much just do it because i find my tricks feel more solid on a new thick string.

Thanks a tun guys!

The Joshinator

• WARNING: Watch for Falling Essays.
  • The Nation
Re: Hey! im sure you guys get this a lot but... i have a few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 08:03:29 PM »
[WARNING: Essay ahead!]

1. You'll never "need" to "move up" at all. The DM2 is an excellent yoyo and can handle anything you're capable of throwing at it. I'm guessing it's set up responsive with the narrow bearing right now, but toss in a clean, full-width bearing and it is every bit as good as 90% of today's yoyos. That said, it's probable that you'll get a hankering to try something new for the sake of variety and diversity of experience. That's not at all a bad thing, and you might find something you like better than the DM2 because you won't know what your preferences really are until you've tried more than one yoyo. But, I guarantee that if you find anything holding you back it won't be the DM2.

2. Practicing that much, it's no surprise you're going through a string that often, especially if it's a regular old polyester or (gasp!) cotton string. Some people even prefer to change their strings more often because they're super-picky about the texture. You could look at buying some designer strings such as Kitty String, Twisted Stringz or Toxic Strings; they're more expensive than generic poly, but they generally last a lot longer (especially if they're a nylon-poly blend). Or, you could do what I did: learn to make your own strings. At the most basic they're actually not that hard to make, and buying a 1000-meter spool of thread that will be enough to spin dozens of strings for $3 or so is quite cost-effective.

Hope that helps some, GART. Keep up the practicing! As long as you're having fun instead of burning out, you're doing it right.
"Can you do the Eiffel Tower?"
"Hmm... you mean this trick? (does it)"
"Yeah, that one! That's so co-"
"Nope, I can't. Sorry."

My BST

http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php

bensaddiction

• The End all be all of things that never were.
  • The Nation
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 02:36:52 AM »
I think The Joshinator has just told you everything you need to know. A few minor notes though, everything in yoyoing is preference. For example I like smaller yoyos, theres nothing wrong with that it just fits the style I enjoy of tight intricate string tricks. Other people enjoy larger yoyos because its easier to hit the string when your doing more open "flashyer" tricks. I'd say try out a few and see what you like. Eventually you'll find that sweet spot in size and weight. Mines a 50-40 around 66, mmmmm  O0
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 02:37:34 AM by bensaddiction »

The Joshinator

• The Nation
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »
Yep, I thought about throwing that in there, but I was trying to condense my post as much as possible. It's so true, though - practically everything in yoyoing is subjective and based on personal opinions, so really the only way to find out what you like and what you don't is to try stuff out.

For example, some people are really picky about the shapes they like - V-shapes, raised rims, narrow or wide, etc. Personally, I'm generally disgusted by anything with a really organic, rounded sort of shape. Throwing something like that, for me, is like taking a bite out of a raw potato - excruciatingly bland and boring. I tend to be into the more unique or interesting shapes, like the Hspin Envy (bacon sundae), IKYO Agape (burrito de lengua) and ILYY Noctu (raspberry dark chocolate), but some people tell me they literally cannot throw that stuff because it feels so alien to them.

As another example, some people can't stand the feel of Duncan stickers as a response, whereas others love it. There are those who hate the old-style pad-response yoyos, while others won't play anything else. Low-60s weight and high-60s weight both have their adherents. Everybody has their own preferences, so consequently there's no such thing as a single "best" of any category.

You have just been Joshinated...  8-)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:32:45 PM by The Joshinator »
"Nope, I can't. Sorry."

My BST

GART

• The Nation
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:10:56 AM »
Thanks for all the info! its been really really helpful. Im doing all of my learning threw the expert village youtube videos and im starting to move into a few expert tricks. I noticed the guy thats doing those videos is actually using the DM2 by YYJ as well! I was pretty happy to see that, but i noticed his seems to sleep a lot better then mine. I am using the bearing that requires binding. Would you suspect that the difference is just how cleanly he lands on the string? or does he have a different bearing? Or i think i read somewhere that i may need to grease mine?  Im thankful for all the great responces iv got so far and i love to see that the world of yoyoing is so welcoming!

The Joshinator

• The Nation
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 06:08:40 PM »
Of course. I like to think that our welcoming attitude toward newcomers is part of what makes the yoyo community special...  O0 That's Andre Boulay in those videos, multiple world champion and freestyle judge for several major contests, and he's actually using his signature yoyo, the Dark Magic 1.

Several things influence the spin time he's getting, none of which are the bearing. First, he throws it a lot harder than he appears to - it's all in the wrist and the hundreds of hours of practice. One trick is to tug on the string just before the yoyo hits the end of the string, to make that extra downward momentum go into rotation instead. Second, he throws it straight and keeps it that way. Land the yoyo on the strings as centered and vertical as possible, and keep them from rubbing on the sides as much as you can, and your throw will go a lot farther. For the same reasons, the string can also influence spin time to a small extent; if it's thick and poofy, it will rub on the sides more than a thin, slippery string. There are some specialty bearings out there, like Dif-E-Yo's KonKave bearing and YYF's Center Trak, and they can be useful on occasion, but they're not at all necessary - a standard flat bearing will do just fine for anything you're capable of, and it's what Andre used for those videos.

If you want it to stay unresponsive (requiring binding), then keep the bearing clean (usually accomplished by an occasional soak in mineral spirits or acetone followed by spinning it dry). Somewhat counterintuitively, greasing a bearing increases its life but not its performance. On the other hand, running it completely dry makes it play really nice, but will tend to make it wear out and seize up faster. The typical compromise is half a tiny drop of a very thin oil like gun oil, trumpet valve oil or sewing-machine oil (NOT WD-40). Just enough to provide wear protection and quiet it down a bit, but not enough to cause excessive drag and increased response.

It's been said that, especially when starting out, problems are rarely the fault of the yoyo. Usually, the problem is on the other end of the string.  ;D In fact, the yoyo you're using is probably better than the one Andre used in the tutorials; it has a wider gap, more durable bearing seat and a pair of silicone stickers instead of a hybrid starburst/O-ring response.

P.S. Did you know that those videos can also be found on www.yoyoexpert.com under the "Learn" tab? They're all there, easy to find and laid out in order by difficulty level. There's also some tutorials for other styles to be found there if you feel adventurous.

(Sheesh, I'm going to have to write a book about yoyoing or something; these posts are getting REALLY long-winded and detailed!)
"Nope, I can't. Sorry."

My BST