Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting back in the game: Yomega Dash -Impression (awful?)  (Read 18119 times)

halle

• The Nation
Getting back in the game: Yomega Dash -Impression (awful?)
« on: August 21, 2012, 02:40:13 PM »
I haven't thrown a yo-yo in years but I was in a toy store this weekend and saw a Yomega Dash. I was shocked. Aluminum yo-yo? $30? unbelievable.

Took it home. Threw it. Nearly broke my finger when it came snappin' back up at me.

Take 2: Cleaned the bearing. Tossed those ridiculous rubber pads. Filled the gap with clear silicone. Added some dif o-rings for weight. And put in a yyn highigght (do they still have those?)

no change.

Upon closer examination i found that the string was getting caught in the gap between the bearing and the spacer. Why does this happen? the edge of the bearing is BEVELED which makes it all too easy for the string to slip into that gap. I understand Yomega doesn't make the best products but COME ON. It takes a special kind of brain injury to design a yoyo like that.

So now I'm wondering. Is mine the only Dash like this? I've noticed other people on yyn love their Dashes. Are you guys seeing something different?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:54:40 PM by halle »

fireball19

• The Nation
Re: Getting back in the game: Yomega Dash -Impression (awful?)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 06:37:44 PM »
First off, its glad to see you back! And no YYN highlights along with the YYN store have been down since April :( As for my dash all I did was but in rubber o-rings and it works significantly better. It's no "Best yoyo ever" but it sure does get the job done.

the5uperu5er

• The Nation
Re: Getting back in the game: Yomega Dash -Impression (awful?)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 07:26:49 AM »
I bought a (first revision) Yomega Maverick and pulled the awful blue o-rings out... replaced them with flowable silicone and cleaned/ added thin lube to the bearing and it's a very decent throw. There's a video about this mod on yotricks.com.

I didn't add any spacers or additional hardware. I've never had string snag with the bearing.

It's not the best yo-yo but it's cheap and easy and essentially my training bra for unresponsive play... Still waiting on my YYF Protostar in the mail.  O0