Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A mod that can increase or reduce vibe.  (Read 1383 times)

yoyospirit

• The Nation
  • Modder
A mod that can increase or reduce vibe.
« on: July 22, 2012, 07:47:48 PM »
Since the beginning of modern bearing seats, modders have said doing anything to the bearing seat can cause vibe, of course, anything that adds vibe can also reduce vibe, for example, a bent axle will increase the vibe greatly, replacing the axle will also noticeable reduce the vibe or wobble.  This mod is simply sanding the post of the bearing seat, what the actually bearing sits on, as seen in the pictures.  I do this when the bearing seat is too tight or if every method I've tried to reduce vibe has failed.  When doing this mod, I not only try to remove the anodize, i also actually try to sand off some of the metal itself.  Some will call me stupid for doing so, but really, this has worked great for me.  This Dv888 I have sanded because the bearing seat was tight to the point where removing the bearing meant close to breaking the bearing.  Although the vibe was not reduced even by the tiniest bit, no vibe was added and the bearing can easily be removed without pliers.

Next is the Genesis, this was done to try and remove some vibe from it, and it worked quite well, at first, you could feel the vibe easily without searching, and it ended being close to as smooth as when the yoyo was new.

Finally, is the Wasabi 09.  This mod worked the best on this yoyo.  At first, the Wasabi had a vibe similar to the one found in most YYJ yoyos.  After, I can hardly feel the vibe and I am very happy with the results.

Please just keep in mind this mod will not reduce vibe every time and will definitely add vibe if not sanded evenly.

The Joshinator

• WARNING: Watch for Falling Essays.
  • The Nation
Re: A mod that can increase or reduce vibe.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 05:30:04 PM »
Yeah, I'd have to agree that the last part is the key: you've got to get it sanded EVENLY and concentric with the axle and body of the yoyo.
"Can you do the Eiffel Tower?"
"Hmm... you mean this trick? (does it)"
"Yeah, that one! That's so co-"
"Nope, I can't. Sorry."

My BST

http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php

Hippo Samurai

• The Nation
Re: Re: A mod that can increase or reduce vibe.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 07:33:40 AM »
How do you know which bearing seat to sand?

Humphrey

• The Nation
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 11:20:11 PM »
seems to me that you'd be better off chucking the yoyo on a lathe and dusting a thousandth or so off, rather than going at it with sand paper.

dudeofyo

• Madman Modder, 2A playa
  • The Nation
    • My Friend's Cool 4A Site
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
I agree with humphry. I usually chuck a yoyo up and plunge into the lip the bearing sits on, while also taking a thou or so off the post itself. This completely squares things off and almost always fixes vibe. Unless there is a bent axle obviously.
Yoyos for Jesus!