Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: CLYW Glacier Express  (Read 19160 times)

flyguy

• The Nation
  • Interrobang!?
CLYW Glacier Express
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:48:16 AM »
This is what it looks like:

http://instagram.com/p/NFYK2rQF4t/

I've really struggled trying to come up with the best way to review a yo-yo.  I dislike reviews that say a yo-yo is "floaty" or "fast", because as far as I can tell from physics, a spinning yo-yo doesn't fall any faster or slower than a still yo-yo.  There's also the matter of string length, which can change the feel of any yo-yo a great deal but is rarely mentioned in yo-yo reviews.

But simply stating the specs isn't great either, since the diameter and weight of a yo-yo don't tell the whole story.  The angular moment would be a good number to compare, but manufacturers typically don't release it.

What I'm left with then is a set of feelings - my feeling - and those don't seem like great criteria for other people to use when thinking about where to put their money.  But whatevs - I can't think on this forever - other things to do - so I'll write what I can now and edit later.

This review is about the Glacier Express.  For this review, I used the string that came w/ the yo-yo.  The GE looks pretty freaky.  It's got the double rings of the chief and an inner wall cutaway like the Dert Muffin Top / YYF Rewind / YYF Avant Garde I and II.  I haven't played any of those.  This is my first inner wall cutaway yo-yo.

I expected it to play as weird as it looked.  I expected it to feel kind of like the Pyro.  And these expectations were wrong.  The GE plays much like the Arctic Circle, but I think it is better at regens and perhaps more rim weighted (wish I could get the actual numbers for this), which is great, because I love regens.  I haven't had any issues with the string getting stuck on one of the steep H walls.  Occasionally I will hear a small "ping", which I think is caused by the string catches slightly on this wall before moving out of the way on a sloppy regin/bind/whatever.  It hasn't been a big deal and hasn't detracted at all from my enjoyment.  Suicides are great.

The GE is machined in Canada by a company that also produced precision optical equipment.  The machining is on par with CLYW's other recent successes (Chief, Arctic Circle).  My finger fits in the gap, so I find it to be comfortable.  I don't spend much time hold it though, as I tend to try and regen from one trick to the next and only return the yo-yo to my hand when absolutely necessary.  The finish is similar to my other CLYWs.  I'll need to try the glow sticks in recess on the outside.

As I said, I'm big on regens, so I prefer the GE to the Arctic Circle.  I like other people looking at its unique design and raising an eyebrow, and I'm happy that the design, instead of getting in the way of play, actually enhances a characteristic I'm particularly fond of.

H-shaped yo-yos aren't my favorite -- generally I like the classic freehand or duncan butterfly shape.  But the play characteristics of the GE have me picking it up again and again.

Tetrahedron

• CLYW Project Affiliate
  • The Nation
  • FG Chiefs, bro.
Re: CLYW Glacier Express
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:50:48 PM »
You MUST try it with one half GE and one half Canvas.
Plays AMAZING.

Even the prototype I have, the heavier 68.5g one, plays so well with one half being Canvas, let alone the production run.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 12:51:32 PM by Tetrahedron »

LinksLegionaire

• «Kylε Niтгo 7hoмαsoп»
  • The Nation
  • A child's toy, an adult's escape.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Can't wait to pick one up.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't higher center-weighting make for better regens?
The earth spins at over 1000 mph. If you didn't fall off today, quit whining.

Zammy

• Stand Tall; Shake Heavens
  • The Nation
    • Zammy's yoyo blog
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:32:34 AM »
Plays AMAZING.

Even the prototype I have, the heavier 68.5g one, plays so well with one half being Canvas, let alone the production run.

First, good review from your viewpoint Flyguy. The GE is a definte experimental and intense looking throw and I am glad Chris went through with this.

@Tetrahedron I keep meaning to ask, are you Dennis? I see you post a lot. Also, if you have pictures of the half half that would be really awesome to see.

~Z

Tetrahedron

• CLYW Project Affiliate
  • The Nation
  • FG Chiefs, bro.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 06:42:52 PM »
Plays AMAZING.

First, good review from your viewpoint Flyguy. The GE is a definte experimental and intense looking throw and I am glad Chris went through with this.

@Tetrahedron I keep meaning to ask, are you Dennis? I see you post a lot. Also, if you have pictures of the half half that would be really awesome to see.

~Z

Nope, I am Nick, as I answered in your PM.

Pictures are in my tumblr. http://stale-waffles.tumblr.com