Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yomagic Anodizes:"Flawed" Anodizing UPDATE! (6/29/12)  (Read 3050 times)

yomagic

• Joey Serrano
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
  • VsNewton/Werrd/YYF- All any yoyoer needs
Yomagic Anodizes:"Flawed" Anodizing UPDATE! (6/29/12)
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:05:02 AM »
Not sure if any remember but i did some anodizing a while ago and posted some videos but i have since deleted those. I did abut 4 yoyos last time and then I had to stop. Last week I felt like starting again. I then redid all my research and gathered the proper materials. Well earlier this morning was my first attempt again. Below im going to show before and after pics. This is my first job in well over a year and i think it came out great. I resiliconed the yoyo and now waiting for that t dry to see how it plays. I stripped the old ano off of a Dv888 i dont use. So without further ado heres my results:

Before:

After:

Im no Jason Wong but i think it came out pretty well. Still need some more practice and will have at least another throw to show for today.

I hope you all enjoy
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:26:51 PM by yomagic »

Kyle:)

• The Nation
Re: Yomagic Anodizes: My first Anodizing (well at least again)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 09:25:08 AM »
How do you strip off the ano? Looks awesome bro!

yomagic

• Joey Serrano
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »
I chemically strip but I don't want to suggest doing it cause it can cause problems if left too long

Kyle:)

• The Nation
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:35:44 AM »
Ahh, Gotcha!

jasonwongzero

• Anodizer
  • The Nation
  • www.loadedyoyos.com
    • www.loadedyoyos.com
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:27:47 AM »
Coming along nicely.  :)  Nice acid wash effects, btw.

yomagic

• Joey Serrano
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »
Thanks means a lot coming from you. I was actually about to PM you regarding something. I'll get to it so watch for a new message.

I just dd another and I'm about to upload pics.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:48:52 AM by yomagic »

yomagic

• Joey Serrano
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
Re: Yomagic Anodizes: My Anodizing (well at least again) UPDATED!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 12:24:52 PM »
Well did my 2nd ano job. My camera really sucks and doesn't give a good perception of what it looks like in person. I did an acid wash splash and then acid washed the rest of the body. I was going for a woodsy look and i feel like it was achieved. I'll have to take better pictures when the weather is better.There is some dust that is pictured that makes the Ano look a bit weird but don't mind that.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:26:00 PM by yomagic »

yoyospirit

• The Nation
  • Modder
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »
The anodizing is great, but I feel you could get much richer colors if you clean off the oxidation after stripping.  Other than that, looks awesome!

yomagic

• Joey Serrano
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 08:01:49 PM »
I'll try that on the next yoyo. The pictures don't do justice trust me. They aren't as dull in person

The Joshinator

• WARNING: Watch for Falling Essays.
  • The Nation
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »
I've heard that a paste of baking soda and water scrubbed on with an old toothbrush works great to clean up oxidized aluminum without stripping the blast.
"Can you do the Eiffel Tower?"
"Hmm... you mean this trick? (does it)"
"Yeah, that one! That's so co-"
"Nope, I can't. Sorry."

My BST

http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php

yomagic

• Joey Serrano
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 03:06:53 PM »
First up is Superstar I stripped from my collection. I decided to ano both halves completely differently for practice. I am going to end up stripping both again because of some flaws and to practice some more. I did this one two days and still working out some tweaks. Overall the came out decent but a stripping and re-ano would do the trick since im getting better. One half came out completely how i wasnt expecting but it looks cool.

Remember my camera sucks and it makes the yoyos look way more dull then they actually are. My camera actually broke today so now i have to get a new one.

Next is a Dif-e-yo that I had laying around. I dont really know what model it is but it doesnt have a bearing seat. This one came out exactly how i wanted. It doesnt actually look as dull as the picture makes it.

Lastly i did my Chief. Its a first run that i stripped and then annoed. At first i did a clear background with yellow splash but it didnt come out exactly how i wanted and has some flaws. I then restripped it and decided to do a two tone purple acid wash. It came out exactly how i wanted and looks amazing in person.

Before:

After:

These are what ive done so far and im going to do a Skyline tomorrow, so look out for updates

:)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:20:19 PM by yomagic »

yomagic

• Joey Serrano
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 11:44:09 AM »
I did this skyline earlier. I did both halves differently trying to practice different techniques. The first half is my favorite ano job I've done so far and looks amazing! I love how it looks and i seem to have the technique down. I did a half fade type thing on the second half. You can see it in the pics but i did an orange acid/splash and a clear/orange wash/splash. Let me know what you guys think :)

First half:

secong half:

yomagic

• Joey Serrano
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
Re: Yomagic Anodizes: My Anodizing UPDATE! (6/19/12)
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »
I stripped my overdrive "knockoff" and then decided to give it a nice new color. I did a red and orangey/yellow acid wash. I personally like acid washes over any anodizing technique. I also got anodizing down pretty well and ive done over 7 of my own yoyos and soon i will be ready to take on commision. This throw even has a flat-like hub so the problems i was having before with them are all gone. Heres pics of my most recent work

On this photo the lighting makes the two halves look different but they are the same shade of red.

As always comments are always appreciated :)

AndyCandy

• I love Greece!
  • The Nation
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »
Aww yeah! Subscribing!
Learning very slowly...

yomagic

• Joey Serrano
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 12:26:15 PM »
UPDATE!!!!

I did this for a member on the forum and I've got some things to say and show. With anodizing being a very temperamental process and one that is naturally flawed it is pretty hard to get consistent results unless your not an anodizing master. I do the best i can with every job i do even though they aren't close to perfect i like what i do as a hobby. I'm noticing that when i attempt to do what i plan i don't necessarily get the results I want. Not saying i don't get good results but when trying to  achieve a certain color scheme it doesn't come out how I want. So from now on when doing commission work I am going to take a different approach.

Anyway he wanted a green acid wash with purple splash on his PYYC Le Tap and a green splash with purple acid wash on his RecRev Facade. When doing these colors i noticed that they didn't come out how they normally did. I decided then to take it up with the person and do some slightly different colors.

First the Le Tap. This was done in a pink splash with a teal acid wash. Both halves are pretty close in color and it looks pretty dope. I like it a lot and it came out pretty well. The yoyo took really nice color and is one of my best splashes yet. The camera really exaggerated the slight tiny flaws but it looks amazing in person. 

Second was the Facade. This one gave me some trouble and didn't come out exactly how i planned. But it still looks pretty cool. It was a dark purple acid with a bright teal splash. The other half is the one that didn't come out how i wanted. It came out in a light purple with a light teal splash. It looks cool even with the malfunction.

son87

• The Nation
Re: Yomagic Anodizes:"Flawed" Anodizing UPDATE! (6/29/12)
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 12:18:46 AM »
That super cool dude , u still need samples? I have a raw blasted skywalker I.would not.mind haveing some.color.

yomagic

• Joey Serrano
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 08:05:24 AM »
I kinda charge now so you could check out my other thread. I would love to ano that though

hobbygod

• Only @ YoYoNation!
  • The Nation
  • www.youtube.com/hobbygod
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 08:36:26 AM »
These look nice  O0

Stewie410

• I can has Electronica?
  • The Nation
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 07:58:04 PM »
dat fire effect in the cup.
www.soundcloud.com/j_a_a_b

My BST:  http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php/topic,106221.msg1121234.html#msg1121234

For every deal that happens, there's 20 behind it that fall through.
It's probably some aluminum/unicorn horn alloy.

yomagic

• Joey Serrano
  • Modder of Repute
  • The Nation
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 08:24:39 PM »
i havent anodized in forever it seems