Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Looking for a mystery yoyo  (Read 3390 times)

chrisc

• The Nation
Looking for a mystery yoyo
« on: May 06, 2012, 04:53:39 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have a quick or hopefully quick question.
I've lived in Canada now since 78, I was in the UK before that. I was runner up in the TV Times world yoyo competition in London, I believe it was around 1975.
I used what I remember being a Majestic yoyo,I don't know who it was made by, but I cannot find any info on them on the web. It could have been made by Duncan, as the insignia on the Imperial is quite similar to the looks of the Majestic.
It was a semi clear blue plastic, with a metal axle and had a bit of weight to it, as I remember. The stamp on it was in gold and very fancy looking, they also came in a red and a purple colour I believe. They were great for tricks and would spin for ages.
Does anyone have any info on these, or am I just imagining that it existed?

Thanks for any info, and I would like to buy one of anyone has it available.

zan-navi

• xander krueger
  • The Nation
Re: Looking for a mystery yoyo
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:14:51 AM »
imperial maybe?
zan-navi over and out!

AustinK

• The Nation
  • Purple is cool like that.

chrisc

• The Nation
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:44:31 AM »
No, thanks anyway. Athat's not it, i believe that one was made in 1962. There was nothing written about magic on it either. It may have been a UK only thing.
@zan navi, no it was definitly Majestic although as I remember, the logo looked a lot like the imperial one, so it was probably a Duncan yo.
I spoke to a friend in the UK and he confirmed it, as I apparently gave it to him when I moved to Canada.
I've basically given up on finding it and after seeing people playing with the new ball bearing ones, I want to give one a go. Some of those tricks they pull off are sick, so I'm thinking about a magic N5 or something similar off fleabay. Lol.
Or maybe something that isn't totally unresponsive to start with???? Whatever I find or get my hands on first I spose.. Lmao

Thanks guys.

AustinK

• The Nation
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:07:14 AM »
You're welcome. And I'd probably get something that can start responsive, and as you get better, switch the bearing for unresponsive play. I'd recommend the YoYoFactory One, or a YoYoJam Lyn Fury, something like that. But if you have a higher price range, I'd try the YYF Speed Dial. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks pretty good.

chrisc

• The Nation
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:16:55 AM »
Thanks again AustinK. I think you're right there. I need to start from the beginning again. I was playing around with an old wooden one with wooden axle last night, and was having some troubles, (more that I was expecting) so I don't think I need to add unresponsive to the mix..lol
Can an unresponsive type be made responsive just by changing the bearing, is that how it works?
Thanks again

AustinK

• The Nation
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 02:58:21 PM »
The responsiveness? of a yoyo can be changed by simply changing the response (Duncan Friction Pads, CBC Slim Pads, etc.) and/or the bearing. Most unresponsive yoyos use a C sized bearing, so I'm not sure about that, though you might be able to exchange it for a slim bearing of the same size (in other words, same diameter, different width). Also, if you apply thick lube, the bearing will be slower and have decreased spin time, but it should also be more responsive. There also kits for stuff like this.

But I would still go with a yoyo that you know that you can exchange bearings with.

chrisc

• The Nation
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »
Yes... Thanks a ton guys. I went out to toysrus today, as thats all we have for toys and hobby shops in town, and picked up a Yomega "Hotshot". It seems pretty good for the money and is responsive enough to return ,but will spin for ages. A good place to start for now to get my touch back, then start learning new tricks.
When I find Im getting good and ready to move on, I'll spend a few bucks and get a decent one for the mad tricks, one that I can change setup on for different uses.

Thanks a lot guys, you've been a great help.
I think  I'll stick around here and see what else I can learn and pick up.

Sottle

• Your friendly Admin!
  • The Nation
    • YoYoNation UK
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »
Can't help on the yoyo, but i can tell you the TV Times Championship was '74

BosK

• Stay on target..
  • The Nation
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »
This is all i could find.. might help

"the TV Times world yo-yo championship was held in the UK in 1974 with heats across the country and the final in London in 1975,
the champion ship was sponsored by the Louis Marx toy company with the ‘Lumar’ brand of yo-yo. The competition was judged
by a celebrity panel in each city and also Lumar demonstrator and European yo-yo champion Don Robertson. The winner of the final
was Simon Harris (intermediate category). The championship was not repeated."

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:36:01 AM by BosK »

chrisc

• The Nation
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 06:32:39 PM »
@BosK.. Thanks.
                           That sounds about right, I competed in Nottingham then at finals in London in the beginners catagory. The judges I remember were StuPot from the radio and Carol Hawkings from TV. I remember Don "YoYo" Robertson too. I was runner up as I killed the loop the loop by trying too hard then stopping when it failed. Unlike the girl from Wales who didn't stop and carried on with a dead yoyo to win.. (NOT that I'm bitter or anything) lmao. Still... The Hitachi quad band radio was every bit as good as the trip to Disneyland.  Lol.
I'm really loving these new bearing yoyos, just waiting to get my hands on a Dark Magic II. Then I can show my dad what I can do now (he was a yoyo champ as a younster too, and taught me everything I knew. These new tricks are amazing and so impressive to see, even more so to perform. I've even started teaching my son now too. We're just a whole family of yoyo's...  Lol.  I will have to dig out the newspaper clips I still have and see if I can make out any details from my yoyo. It would still be nice to find one, but as the mind grows older, it probably won't be as sweet as I remember them being. I really had no idea yoyos were still or more popular than ever. This takes me back many yrs.. Hahaha
Thanks again, talk again soon.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:35:20 PM by chrisc »