Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Guitar Topic  (Read 2131 times)

beatboxer2013

• Thomas Pierson
  • The Nation
  • Werrd?
Guitar Topic
« on: March 11, 2012, 11:32:03 AM »
I couldn't really find a topic for just those who play the guitar so I thought i'd start one.  This is just a thread for those who love to play and talk guitars so...begin

ratfacedudeguy

• My name is Julian.... and I'm a YYRoholic
  • The Nation
    • My BST (Closed for now!)
Re: Guitar Topic
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 12:08:49 PM »
It'll be cool to see who else plays on this forum, and I hope this thread stays alive. To give a bit of background, I've been playing for close to 10 years now, with a break not long ago that spasmed maybe 2 or 3 years. I've been playing acoustic exclusively for the past year, stuff like Andy Mckee, Don Ross, and Michael Hedges. My main guitar right now is a Takamine mini jumbo whose model number escapes me right now.

I've also been revisiting Steve Vai lately, so I've gotten the electric itch setting back in. I was drooling over the Ibanez s7420 for the past week or so because I've always wanted a quality 7 string, but I think I might back off on that for a little while. My main electric axe right now is am Ibanez RG whose model number also escapes me right now. It's a very rich purple matte finish on a flame maple top, 5 piece neck thru body construction, Edge II trem, and DiMarzio Evolutions that I installed myself. Absolutely love that guitar. I've also got a Gibson Gothic Explorer with EMGs that I installed, and a white abalone pickguard. Then I have a 50th anniversary Strat that doesn't see much play, but I like to keep it on hand anyway for diversity.

My amp setup is a Marshall Mode Four 350 watt head with a 400 watt cab. Thing's an absolute beast, though a little impractical for my uses right now. Been thinking about selling it and downsizing to something a little more practical. If anyone is interested, I'm wiling to take $800 for it. It's in perfect condition as far as I know and includes the stock foot switch.

yoyoisthewin

• Imma firin mah yoyo! BLAHHHH
  • The Nation
  • Law Abiding Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:26:43 PM »
Time-wise, it's been a couple years, but by my skill [i mean, lack thereof] and the guitar i use, I might as well be starting out.
It's mainly rhythm/ some fingerpicking songs as an accompaniment to singing.
What's a good online guitar community? (I'm already on ultimateguitar)
Selling cheap yoyos!
No strings attached!

ratfacedudeguy

• The Nation
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 01:28:44 PM »
No clue. I haven't really ever checked out any of the guitar forums... I'd be interested to know though if anyone can comment. What kind of gear are you guys using?

zan-navi

• xander krueger
  • The Nation
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
i have been playing since last december! do you guys have an easy songs you would reccomend learning?
zan-navi over and out!

ratfacedudeguy

• The Nation
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 02:58:27 PM »
Well there's always the classic Smoke on the Water :P. What kind of music are you generally into? Knowing that would make it easier to make some suggestions.

AlisRIOSteff

• Kyle Derry
  • The Nation
  • immortal
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »
I have a musical request as well, but I guess I'll be constructive first.
I've been playing acoustic on my own for 3-4 years in my free time, but I never got into reading music, so I look at tabs only, and I only know basic chords. I play on a Takamine as well Julian, but other than that I don't really know much about it. Says Jasmine by Takamine on the headstock, and I picked it up a while ago for 150 when my older brother got me into it. I went through a fret stage, to a chord-sy stage, to a solo stage, and lately I've been doing fingerpicking. Not typical Beatles or Hey There Delilah type fingerpicking though; like hardcore, Japanese game music style fingerpicking.

Anyway, my question. This is the guy's channel I've been learning from (http://www.youtube.com/user/lonlonjp#g/u) , but I've run out of songs that I like, that are also in standard tuning with no capo. (I have no capo and no secondary guitar to keep tuned differently.) So I was wondering if any of you guys had some recommendations for music tabs like this.

Here's an example of one of his tabbed songs, one I already learned and love to play.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fueyqB8upo4[/youtube]

And any Final Fantasy lovers here? I can play most of this one, but it's a little sketchy still.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7znm_FB3DRI[/youtube]

(clickable)

ratfacedudeguy

• The Nation
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 07:26:35 PM »
Ah, gotta love the video game covers. If you guys go to my youtube channel (same username), you'll see a lot of video game covers that I did a while ago. They're super amateurish, but some of them are still pretty rockin'. My favorites of the ones I put up are "Battletoads Double Dragon - Missile Mayhem" and "FFVII - If You Open Your Heart." I've also got some originals up on there, but I've grown out of all of them except for "Searching." Everything on my youtube channel is electric, but I'm thinking about putting up some acoustic covers sometime soon, whenever I get them smoothed out enough to be comfortable with them.

To address fingerpicking, if you're looking to stay in standard tuning, some amazing pieces that I can think of are "Ebon Coast" and "Tight Trite Night" by Andy McKee -- both have videos on youtube. He actually plays them in baritone tuning (2 1/2 steps down), but since all of the strings are tuned down it still works just fine. You can find some Power/Guitar Pro Tabs for Tight Trite Night on Ultimate Guitar, but PM me if you want to check out the tab for Ebon Coast (you have to pay for it otherwise). They're really challenging pieces and took me a ton of time to learn, Ebon Coast especially, but they're so much fun once you get them down.

Oh, and I found the model numbers of my main axes mentioned above. The Ibanez is an RGT42DXFM (Translucent Lavender Flat finish) and the Takamine is a GS430S. And I literally just a couple minutes ago snagged a Takamine EG523SC off ebay. I'm super stoked because it only has 2 little marks on it where your picking arm rests, and I got it for about $350 with shipping -- half of what they retail for! ;D I played it at Guitar Center yesterday -- it's a jumbo body acoustic electric, and it just had this amazing fat, bright tone. I can't wait for it to get here!

Kyle, I'd recommend if you get the means to do so, you should upgrade to a regular Takamine. The Jasmines are really nice budget models for sure, but the regular ones have generally better build quality and playability, and of course tone. The one that I have has a pretty subdued tone, but the harmonic resonance is fantastic, and the flat satin finish is beautiful. They retail for only $300 too, so it's an amazing feel if you don't mind a straight acoustic with no electric capability. Literally my only complaint about it is that it tends to go out of tune while changing tunings, so you have to go back over the strings that you've already tuned to get it dead on. Not too big a deal though, especially if you stick with one tuning -- then it practically never goes out of tune.

ratfacedudeguy

• The Nation
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 08:38:20 PM »
Really? Did this thread die already?

AlisRIOSteff

• Kyle Derry
  • The Nation
  • immortal
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:40:34 PM »
I guess there are only 4 people who have ever touched a guitar and a yoyo at the same time...

(clickable)

yoyoisthewin

• Imma firin mah yoyo! BLAHHHH
  • The Nation
  • Law Abiding Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 08:01:28 PM »
That's a shame... I could've sworn that there was another, more heavily populated guitar-themed thread before.
Selling cheap yoyos!
No strings attached!

beatboxer2013

• Thomas Pierson
  • The Nation
  • Werrd?
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 10:35:04 PM »
haha I play an old epiphone V  for acoustic and an ESP statocastor for electric...All i play is the blues

IV

• How doth yo-yo?
  • Homebrew Affiliate.
  • The Nation
  • moshi moshi, IV desu!
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 01:29:44 PM »
Ibanez S320, modified with Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB pickups. I'll get a pick up when I get back to the house. It's a pretty axe and sounds like death tearing apart the titanic.

ratfacedudeguy

• The Nation
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »
I'm definitely drooling over the S1XXV in fluorescent green hardcore -- granted my main infatuation is the RG1XXV in fluorescent pink, but I already have an RG, gotta spice it up a bit with the S. Gonna see if I can finagle that in as a birthday present or something. I've already got plans for that one too. I'm going to replace the Evolutions in my RGT42 with a Dimarzio Liquifire in the neck and a Crunch Lab in the bridge, then put the Evolution neck pickup in the S, get an Evo2 and slap it in the bridge, and put in a push-pull volume pot so I can wire it Herman Li style. It's gonna be sick!

I want to see Brett chime in on this thread. Being ibanezcollector and all, I'm sure he'd have something cool to contribute.

EDIT: ......And then I saw the EGEN18. Now I have a new goal in life :drool:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:06:30 PM by ratfacedudeguy »

ratfacedudeguy

• The Nation
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 08:20:11 PM »
So in response to my new hopes and dreams, would anybody possibly be interested in buying an Ibanez GRX720 7 string or a Fender 50th anniversary Strat? The Strat is all original probably near mint with a good reconditioning and includes the hard case with all documentation. The Ibanez is autographed by all the members of Korn (don't worry, it can come off lol) and I believe in near mint condition as well. I'd ask for about $1150 shipped for the Strat and maybe $300 shipped for the Ibanez. I'm probably gonna post up a bst once I can get over to my parents' house to take some pics, but I wanted to start here first.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 10:39:41 AM by ratfacedudeguy »

ibanezcollector

• The Nation
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 05:42:14 AM »
I play on and off for the last 20 years
Quote from: yoyochucker
One of a kind is not all that matters. I can draw a picture of a dog chasing a rat who is pissing on a cat... sure its one of a kind but no one will want it.  O0

bobb

• The Nation
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 05:52:14 PM »
I play and have a bunch of guitars.

This thread needs pics.
The guy who wrote the book on yoyoing.

offstring-stewart

• the newbie
  • The Nation
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 02:00:34 PM »
agreed...I'll add pics of my guitars soon!  I love any knid of rock, as long as its good.  Though I prefer 80's and 90's metal/ death metal.  New music doesn't seem to have the same edge as older stuff.  I also love Jimi and Yngwie and Buckethead.  My three top guitarists to be like and learn to play.
Yeah, you heard me right.

ibanezcollector

• The Nation
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 02:04:10 PM »
few of mine..

custom relic RG modded into strat pickup config

custom drawn LTD, drawing by me

custom "lucky #7" 7 string

Quote from: yoyochucker
One of a kind is not all that matters. I can draw a picture of a dog chasing a rat who is pissing on a cat... sure its one of a kind but no one will want it.  O0

ratfacedudeguy

• The Nation
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 04:12:05 PM »
Nice. Here's my 3 main ones right now:

The GS430S. Love the flat finish on this one:

The EG523SC. Always wanted a jumbo acoustic. It has all the fatness both physically and tonewise I could have ever hoped for:

And finally the RGT42DXFM. I absolutely love this guitar:

Close-up to show the color better and the neck-thru construction:

And finally Joe Satriani's signature on the back of the headstock. Easily one of the better moments of my life:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:26:12 PM by ratfacedudeguy »