Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New camera?  (Read 944 times)

(:TBT237:)

• The Nation
New camera?
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:49:32 PM »
I'm looking to pick up a new camera but I know nothing about them. I'm willing to spend quite a bit of money for something nice. I want something that will multiple frames per second and shoots decent videos. Sorry if i'm pretty vague on what I want but like I said I know nothing about photography.

Liz

• C'est la vie. ♔
  • The Nation
Re: New camera?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:40:37 AM »
What's your budget?

• The Nation
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:15:37 PM »
Well i'd rather buy something used for around $400 or so

PinSquid

• The Nation
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:34:58 AM »
Might be able to get a canon t1i for around that price with a lens, if you bargain hunt really well. 3.5 fps, 15 mp, and shoots HD video. Should satisfy your needs. Unfortunately $400 is the high end of point-and-shoot cameras and the low-end of DSLRs. It's a bit of a price limbo.

• The Nation
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 08:42:30 PM »
T1i looks pretty nice. I'd be willing to spend more to get a nicer camera. I was looking into getting a refurbished T2i or a D500. What do you guys think of those and which is better quality?

PinSquid

• The Nation
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 09:19:40 PM »
I have a t2i and it performs remarkably well, especially for video. It also has the advantage of magic lantern if you ever get more heavily involved in filming things. Never been a fan of Nikon video.

fzzyrn

• You can call me Leo
  • Manufacturer
  • The Nation
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:01:46 PM »
Canon all the way. the T2i does a great job.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

LinksLegionaire

• «Kylε Niтгo 7hoмαsoп»
  • The Nation
  • A child's toy, an adult's escape.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 01:55:19 PM »
Never buy refurbished electronics.

Their lifespan sucks and almost always have problems.
The earth spins at over 1000 mph. If you didn't fall off today, quit whining.

RoxFontaine

• The Nation
    • Rox Fontaine
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 08:11:24 PM »
Consider the Nikon D3100. 650 retail but you should be able to find one used around 500 with the kit lens.

cowmamba

• The Nation
  • ⬲☠◆☠◆☠◆☠⟴
    • Knox Ware
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 11:14:55 PM »
Consider the Nikon D3100. 650 retail but you should be able to find one used around 500 with the kit lens.

Definitely good advice. You might be able to find them cheaper yet.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying used either, just as long as you buy it from a reputable source.   I've bought a fair share of quality glass (lenses) used. You just have to be mindful of flaws, fungus, dust under elements, icky aperture blades and scratches. If notice any of those major flaws, just pass on it or at least identify if it'll be useable or not.  In most cases you won't have a problem at all.
-------

If you can't find a D3100 you might consider a D5100, it's roughly the same price, maybe $100 more used.  You could also consider a micro 4/3 (four thirds) system.  Something like the Panasonic GF1 / GF2, Gh1, and if you can afford it GH2, sony NEX, Olympus E-PEN / EP1, Nikon n1, etc.  Would really be pretty decent for shooting video. They are compact and not as intimidating as a full DSLR.   You can find some of the ones I listed anywhere from $250 - $500 with and without lenses.

Never buy refurbished electronics.

Their lifespan sucks and almost always have problems.

I don't really know where this idea comes from. Majority of the electronics are just fine. I have been purchasing used and refurbished gear for years. I haven't purchased a brand new (off the shelf at least (just new refurbs) ) computer in, psh, probably 9 years. Never have had a single issue. People just need to make sure where they are getting the stuff from includes a warranty, usually 90 days. You also need to make sure it comes from a reputable source as well.  If you're buying refurbished electronics from joe bob off of craigslist, who knows where the heck he got it from and what he's done to it + whomever had it before him.

Just use your head and you'll be fine. Most electronics will fail within the first 3 months - 3 years.  If you notice issues right away, just get it exchanged under warranty.

StillinKansasCity

• One Drop Connoisseur
  • The Nation
  • Yes, but does it accept Side Effects?
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »
The best used body for around 400 is a Canon 40d. Very fast, good IQ, weather seals, quick and accurate autofocus, etc. It doesn't have video, but to jump into SLRs, it's perfect. I would probably pass on the T1i if you can find a T2i used. That one has full 1080p at 30fps whereas the T1i has 1080p at 20fps. I'm not crazy about Nikon ergonomics, but get the best body that you can for the price. Don't settle for last years entry level model when you could buy a two year old midrange prosumer body for the same price. Build quality, shutter durability, and AF will be better on the older greats. Hell, I'd take my five year old 40d up against the new 60d any day of the week for sports.

Oh and one very important detail, only buy used bodies from KEH. Ebay will be disappointing. KEH offers the best guarantees on used equipment ever.
This should be played at high volume, preferably in a residential area.