Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Weird and unique yoyos show-off thread!  (Read 7057 times)

jasonwongzero

• Anodizer
  • The Nation
  • www.loadedyoyos.com
    • www.loadedyoyos.com
Weird and unique yoyos show-off thread!
« on: January 19, 2012, 06:34:42 PM »
As a collector, I'm always on the lookout for weird or unique yoyos... both interesting stock designs and crazy mods.  Figured I'd show off a few of the more interesting yoyos in my collection.  Feel free to share photos of your own!

Bist Tondo: A square yoyo!  What else can you say?  :)  I really like Ettore's work...  his yoyo designs and especially his mods were incredible.  The Tondo actually plays better than you would think, although grinds are a bit out of the question.

Bist8: Similar to the Tondo but an Octagon instead of a square.  I especially love the mouse and cheese engravings.

ILYY PYBIT: YoYo that thinks it's a coke can.  Very smooth player, but not terribly stable.  Still, a lot of fun and a unique throw.

RooYo: Just got this one today, which is sort of what inspired me to start this thread.  This was the first yoyo put out by RooYo, an Italian yoyo company.  I actually traded for this knowing in advance that it had satined rims and figured I'd re-anodize it, but on closer inspection, I'm not so sure the rims were satined after-market.  (The satin job is incredibly straight and perfectly even, so I might just leave this as is.)  The outside isn't the only interesting part about the RooYo though... if you look inside, you'll see that the response system is made up of four tiny O-rings stuffed into slits around the bearing.  You can pull and push the O-rings in and out to alter the response.  The system actually works quite well... binds were great.  This yoyo is pretty center weighted and feels a bit slower and heavy to me.

If anyone else has any unique yoyos to share, post em up!

ratfacedudeguy

• My name is Julian.... and I'm a YYRoholic
  • The Nation
    • My BST (Closed for now!)
Re: Weird and unique yoyos show-off thread!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »
Subbing. Love this thread.

jwil425

• The Nation
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 07:14:26 PM »
loving the yoyos. i really like that last one. thanks for sharing them with us. p.s your a ano god lol great work!!!

d42kn355

• Throw. Catch. Repeat.
  • The Nation
  • Throws: ALOT of SPYY. Avalanches, Code2's
    • N.E.W.T. Yo-Yo Club
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:50:59 PM »
So So So So Jelly of the B!ST throws!! And Love the Roo!

theTopo

• The Nation
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 03:48:15 AM »
I remember doing a search of BSTs for the Tondo and Bist8 and finding both of them but with a note that they'd already been sold to jasonwongzero :'(

yotoy

• The Nation
  • Panda Love
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 06:27:15 AM »
Some wacky stuff.. Now where is that RevG?? That was one poorly planned, great looking yo-yo.
Nice and clean photos by the way,  O0 O0.

AquaJoe

• The Nation
    • My yoyo case
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 07:17:51 AM »
Man, ever since I saw the tondo I wanted one. I never saw one for sale though.

Amazing collection you have there.  O0

jasonwongzero

• Anodizer
  • The Nation
  • www.loadedyoyos.com
    • www.loadedyoyos.com
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »
Thanks everyone!  These funny yoyos always make me smile.  With all the emphasis put on maximizing spin time, stability and speed on today's performance and competition grade yoyos, it's nice to see yoyos that maximize 'fun'!

Here's another interesting Bist that I have... it's a one-piece, no ball bearing aluminum looper called the "Bistone".  Plays pretty decently for a looper, although I'll admit I am currently pretty horrible at looping.

I just noticed I posted up a bunch of black and blue yoyos...  will need to go pick out some more colorful weirdos from my collection next.  (I also need to be more careful with 'dust removal'.  I was rushing a little bit when taking these photos.  Thanks for the nice comment nevertheless, yotoy...  I think my yoyo photography skills still trail yours by a considerable margin though!)

jasonwongzero

• Anodizer
  • The Nation
  • www.loadedyoyos.com
    • www.loadedyoyos.com
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »
I've started to take an interest in vintage and antique yoyos.  Here's one that arrived in the mail today:

1960s Duncan/Disney "World of Color" YoYo

According to the Museum of YoYo History (http://www.yoyomuseum.com/museum_view.php?action=view&subaction=exhibit&exhibitid=273)

"The World of Color was a very unusual item from the old Duncan company, and one of my personal favorites. The halves were poured and molded, so the mix of glitter and foil stars could be mixed into the translucent plastic. The effect was dazzling, and many colors were produced. The side logos were different on each side, and the clear plastic caps were printed in reverse on the inside to protect the logos from wear. The caps are concave inwards, giving the yo-yo a totally unique feel.

The dazzle of the WOC made is a good advertising model for Disney's television show, "Disney's Wonderful World of Color". But this was a production model as well, sold directly from Duncan's catalog to all stores.

The concave version, like the one pictured here, is less common than the standard model. This one also has "moons" embedded in the plastic, instead of stars, the only one I've seen like it. And it displays an older logo on the back as well. So this one is a very unusual World of Color."
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:08:49 PM by jasonwongzero »

d42kn355

• Throw. Catch. Repeat.
  • The Nation
  • Throws: ALOT of SPYY. Avalanches, Code2's
    • N.E.W.T. Yo-Yo Club
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »
dude thats really neat. does it play unresponsive? what type of response system is in it? what bearing size? is it SPR'd?

Xander28380

• The Nation
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 11:58:48 AM »
The Rooyo was mine, I have satined the rims only for aesthetic sense, I'm glad you appreciate my job ;D

GunstarHero

• Chuck Cescon
  • The Nation
  • Throw it away
    • Tumblr (18+)
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 12:08:13 PM »
dude thats really neat. does it play unresponsive? what type of response system is in it? what bearing size? is it SPR'd?

That's a nice collector's piece. I'd hope that noone modded it. Look at the string as well....it's probably stock..

Not to mention the gap width as well.

Anyway that's an awesome piece Jason. you have quite the collection. Very diverse which is uncommon to find these days.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:08:53 PM by GunstarHero »

jasonwongzero

• Anodizer
  • The Nation
  • www.loadedyoyos.com
    • www.loadedyoyos.com
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 12:57:05 PM »
The Rooyo was mine, I have satined the rims only for aesthetic sense, I'm glad you appreciate my job ;D

Wow, extremely impressive satin job.  I've never seen one so clean and even!  Did you use a lathe?

jasonwongzero

• Anodizer
  • The Nation
  • www.loadedyoyos.com
    • www.loadedyoyos.com
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 12:59:25 PM »
That's a nice collector's piece. I'd hope that noone modded it. Look at the string as well....it's probably stock..

Not to mention the gap width as well.

Anyway that's an awesome piece Jason. you have quite the collection. Very diverse which is uncommon to find these days.

Thanks!  I do believe the string is stock.  Admittedly I haven't thrown it yet as I decided to snap these photos before running off to dinner last night.  I'll give it a shot tonight, although I might replace the string (and keep it aside) to avoid breaking it.

I have a bunch of really neat vintage yoyos that I'll be posting up on this thread soon.  :)

Xander28380

• The Nation
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 01:11:31 PM »
Wow, extremely impressive satin job.  I've never seen one so clean and even!  Did you use a lathe?

No, I haven't a lathe, I used a drill, abrasive paper and abrasive paste.

LinksLegionaire

• «Kylε Niтгo 7hoмαsoп»
  • The Nation
  • A child's toy, an adult's escape.
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 09:59:59 AM »
Subbed. I've always wanted to try a Tondo.
The earth spins at over 1000 mph. If you didn't fall off today, quit whining.

jasonwongzero

• Anodizer
  • The Nation
  • www.loadedyoyos.com
    • www.loadedyoyos.com
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 10:53:12 PM »
I love Duncan velvets...  such a unique and 'weird' yoyo!  Kinda like a Duncan Imperial/Tournament but more colorful and fuzzy in the hand.  These were made by Duncan in the mid 1970s.  I think the velvet wears easily and can also bleach out, so it's tough to find examples in perfect condition.  The colors can be extremely rich though, especially the hot pink.

Preinfalk

• Just a random guy
  • The Nation
  • Wandering thrower
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 10:58:40 PM »
Not really unique, but you rarely see these nowadays

oldyoyoguy

• The Nation
  • You're as good as anybody and better than no one.
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 07:52:13 AM »
I thought this was kinda strange, a 2010 YYF California with multiple logos:

Mo sent this to me after his birthday journey to YYF, where he was able to rummage to his heart's content, assembling various cast-off halves together.  Looks like this was a logo tester.  :)

CrikOnBass

• The Nation
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 02:42:07 PM »
I'm not so sure the rims were satined after-market.  (The satin job is incredibly straight and perfectly even, so I might just leave this as is.)  

I can confirm that the rims were satined after market by a good friend of mine. I will tell him of your opinion on his job. O0

Lots of Bists in this thread, so here is my contribution.

First off my prized Bist Stradivari:

And then the elusive Bist Toxic (the Gleipnir is for reference):

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 03:02:48 PM by CrikOnBass »