Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Knives, anyone?  (Read 2877 times)

throw4life

• The Nation
Re: Knives, anyone?
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 08:03:53 PM »
I have a sog multi tool knife. pretty sick
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:49:13 PM by throw4life »
always reppin east coast

IV

• How doth yo-yo?
  • Homebrew Affiliate.
  • The Nation
  • moshi moshi, IV desu!
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 11:49:43 AM »
I just the other day started EDC-ing my Native with a belt-clipped Victorinox Super Tinker.

Finally got a little bit of everything on me whenever I need to do something, aside from pliers. I might have to look into getting a decent Leatherman for the pliers.

Schnayke

• The Nation
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 12:10:07 PM »
I have a sog power lock I carry at work.
I had a little clip on knife I carryed everywhere else for years but I lost it, now I carry nothing.  :(   
I had a knife comisiond for my edc, made of damacus steel, hand forged and all, but the guy got half way through and never finished it, then flaked on me.  :(
I really want a reverse tanto point non folding blade but can't seem to find one.  Which is why I was having one made. 

tkdlaxer

• I love throwing, keeps the hands busy, but lets the mind wander
  • The Nation
Re: Re: Knives, anyone?
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 01:53:49 PM »
Just got my svord peasant. For those looking for great steel in a simple package, look no further.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

scyshc

• The Nation
  • got skills?
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 07:49:16 PM »
I love my tiny Victorinox
pretty useful and only 10 bucks! O0
I basically take it everywhere

2 Canadians were sittin\' having a beer.

One Canadian says

There should be names for each style of yo-yo

The other Canadian says
<br

BoostedF22c

• The Nation
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »
well, I have a few, as far as an every day carry, I would say its one of my CRKT knives, although my favorite is my benchmade model 52 butterfly knife. I dont really use it for anything but I do play with it alot and its a great knife. aside from that I love my Kabar as well although that has a little more novelty as I'm a PFC in the Marine Corps.
USMC 3531 Motor Vehicle Operator
3rd Combat Assault Battalion (CAB) Okinawa Japan

Yoyo of choice: Starry night edition 888

Motley07

• The Nation
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 03:35:32 PM »
Lets talk blades, do you have an every-day-carry knife? Have a favorite brand?
I'm a Spyderco and Kershaw addict. Currently carrying this beauty as my EDC.

(not my photo... but I do own the same knife)
No need to want one 'cause I got one! The SAGE series by Sdyderco  is a tribute to the "Hall of Fame" knife designers (read locking mechanisms).This particular one is my fav..Pricey but, after a couple of years go bye you'll forget about the price you've paid ha,ha.
clams r calm
And a closed mouth gathers no foot.

Motley07

• The Nation
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »
Two more things....today I ordered a Spyderco Sharpmaker 240. It looks pretty functional to me. Has anyone else tried this setup? I haven't been able to find a negative review what so ever. Could it be that good?
Also, if you've ever wondered how handy a Spyderco Knife could be than check this out! "http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/video/us/2012/02/07/dnt-mountain-lion-attack.kosa"
clams r calm

yoyofool

• The Nation
  • Battosai: conqueror of the string.
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 07:57:50 AM »
Two more things....today I ordered a Spyderco Sharpmaker 240. It looks pretty functional to me. Has anyone else tried this setup? I haven't been able to find a negative review what so ever. Could it be that good?
Also, if you've ever wondered how handy a Spyderco Knife could be than check this out! "http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/video/us/2012/02/07/dnt-mountain-lion-attack.kosa"
Spyderco Sharpmaker is a great sharpening tool for keeping already sharp knives sharp. If your knife gets really dull or heavily chipped ( which it shouldn't under proper use ). You will need some more aggressive stones.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:12:14 AM by yoyofool »

yoyofool

• The Nation
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 08:07:17 AM »
I am heavily into knives. I have a decent collection going. I also do knife reviews on Youtube. Feel free to check me out at xcaffienejunkyx. I will post some pics. I currently EDC a Zero Tolerance 0550. 6al4v titanium framelock. .156" thick blade of S35vn from what I have gathered an upgraded version of S30v.

This one is on preorder. Scrapyard Knife company. A part of the Bussekin trio. The only knives I would say I would trust my life too.

Spyderco Translucent Manix 2. Passed this one along. Great knife non the less.

Kershaw Composite Leek. Uses braze welding to join too pieces of steel together. CPMD2 on the bottom.

Custom knife I designed and had made by Jake Hoback. A great custom maker. CPM154 steel.

Swamp Rat Custom Shop knife. In the mai,l on its way to me now!

Mirror polished Kershaw Packrat I did.

Thats all for now. I started a knife thread awhile ago and few people replied. So it excites me to see some others now.

yoyofool

• The Nation
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 08:16:52 AM »
I have a sog power lock I carry at work.
I had a little clip on knife I carryed everywhere else for years but I lost it, now I carry nothing.  :(   
I had a knife comisiond for my edc, made of damacus steel, hand forged and all, but the guy got half way through and never finished it, then flaked on me.  :(
I really want a reverse tanto point non folding blade but can't seem to find one.  Which is why I was having one made. 
Take a look at the Boker Mosier. A collaboration between Boker and David Mosier.

StillinKansasCity

• One Drop Connoisseur
  • The Nation
  • Yes, but does it accept Side Effects?
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
A Spyderco Carbon fiber Caly 3 is my everyday carry. I also have a G10 Paramilitary 2, and a Sage. I'm looking to sell the Paramilitary 2 because it's just too big that I've honestly used it maybe twice to just cut paper and tape. I'm thinking $100 is probably a good price, but who knows.
This should be played at high volume, preferably in a residential area.

Sekhmet

• The Nation
  • don't drop that yo yo yo (ayeeeee!!)
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »

this is my EDC.
"Plus, yo-yos are cool and everything, but I want to get laid."

Jensen Kimmitt

Motley07

• The Nation
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 07:32:26 PM »
Spyderco Sharpmaker is a great sharpening tool for keeping already sharp knives sharp. If your knife gets really dull or heavily chipped ( which it shouldn't under proper use ). You will need some more aggressive stones.
Agreed. I am the most useless knife sharpener in the world. Usually, my knives end up being duller than when I started  sharpening them using the freehand method. My kitchen knives (Hencekls) have a hard time cutting a potato. But, it's about time I learned a new skill. I've have my Sharpmaker for about a week now and have noticed that a) it's a learning curve and b) it would take forever to sharpen an abused blade. I've watched Youtube vids on sharpening knives for many hours. My objective was to be able to at first to bring my kitchen knives to hair whittling sharpness before I dared try sharpening my Sage 1. That's not happening, they're too far gone. I just purchased a 15X Loupe from Lee Valley. Now I can see all the damage done to my knives as well as any progress I've made trying to sharpen them. So, bottom line is, do I send them to the "House of Knives" for re-profiling/factory edge or do I buy diamond stones for the SM? Another alternative I have is using my handheld Henckel sharpener but that seems pretty aggressive. P.S., I rue the day I could do a mirror polish as well as Yoyofool. Well done indeed, bring out the strops and wish me luck. LOL!
clams r calm

yoyofool

• The Nation
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 07:44:33 PM »
Agreed. I am the most useless knife sharpener in the world. Usually, my knives end up being duller than when I started  sharpening them using the freehand method. My kitchen knives (Hencekls) have a hard time cutting a potato. But, it's about time I learned a new skill. I've have my Sharpmaker for about a week now and have noticed that a) it's a learning curve and b) it would take forever to sharpen an abused blade. I've watched Youtube vids on sharpening knives for many hours. My objective was to be able to at first to bring my kitchen knives to hair whittling sharpness before I dared try sharpening my Sage 1. That's not happening, they're too far gone. I just purchased a 15X Loupe from Lee Valley. Now I can see all the damage done to my knives as well as any progress I've made trying to sharpen them. So, bottom line is, do I send them to the "House of Knives" for re-profiling/factory edge or do I buy diamond stones for the SM? Another alternative I have is using my handheld Henckel sharpener but that seems pretty aggressive. P.S., I rue the day I could do a mirror polish as well as Yoyofool. Well done indeed, bring out the strops and wish me luck. LOL!
Well Motley. The problem with the diamond stones is that the actual diamonds sit in a nickel plating. So if you press to hard diamonds can pull loose. I bought a pair of ruby congress stones that work really well and cost about 12 dollars. You are right the sharpmaker still has a learning curve. If you want send me a PM I have a personal friend who professionally sharpens. He sharpens for a dollar an inch way cheaper than anyone I know of, The benefit of sending your knives to be sharpened is that they will be easier to just touch back up. Also your sage 1 is S30V, a very wear resistant steel, making it take longer to work away the metal to get it sharp.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:53:55 PM by yoyofool »

Douglas Brown

• The Nation
  • Need any help? That's why I'm here.
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 07:37:18 PM »
Shout out to the Tabak Especial. Just had one today. :)

The pliers on my well-loved Gerber clutch broke. Fortunately, a co-worked found a Leatherman Micra someone had left in a theater and gave it to me. Lighter, smaller, with all the same solid tools and substituting scissors for the pliers. I find the scissors infinitely more useful, and this little guy is with me always.
Quote from: Elephark
Nobody can agree precisely what yoyoing is, yet everybody wants to argue about it and take it way too seriously to the point that people get tired of talking or even thinking about it. Thus, yoyoing is art.

IV

• How doth yo-yo?
  • Homebrew Affiliate.
  • The Nation
  • moshi moshi, IV desu!
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 11:56:35 AM »
Shout out to the Tabak Especial. Just had one today. :)

The pliers on my well-loved Gerber clutch broke. Fortunately, a co-worked found a Leatherman Micra someone had left in a theater and gave it to me. Lighter, smaller, with all the same solid tools and substituting scissors for the pliers. I find the scissors infinitely more useful, and this little guy is with me always.

Leatherman is great. I EDC a Wave.

MrSquirrel

• The Nation
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »
This is my favorite knife. This isn't my pic, but it's the same knife

ken

• The Nation
    • some of my artwork.
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »
just a taste, huehuehue:

oyoyoy

• The Nation
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
I had a Svord Peasant which was confiscated by airport security when I accidentally left it in my luggage. Major duh moment on my part. Luckily it was cheap so I wasn't too sad.
Here are some of my favorites:

Spyderco Dragonfly:

Great Eastern Easy Opener:

And for the kitchen, Sabatiers: