Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tea anyone?  (Read 4932 times)

doppelloop

• The Nation
  • Here comes the fun police!
    • What's in my case?
Re: Tea anyone?
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2012, 12:40:38 PM »
Man Faust,
     You don't F around with your teas do you?  I have a tin of Hu Kwa (a taiwanese lapsang) which I inherited from my grandmother who was also a teahead but I'm rather afraid of it.. It literally smells like burning mesquite chips or really more like latakia (if you know your tobaccos).  Haven't had it in awhile but I remember it to be rather extraordinary in taste.  -This story is brought to you by tins.. without tins, I would never be able to collect teas like I tend to do, without losing their character rather quickly.  A single word of advise to anyone looking to begin a long, fruitful courtship with the mistress that is tea: Tins-

Help Dei Aemeth take over the world.  Support us on Facebook, and we'll come to your town and eat your face.  Check my website to see what's in my case.

reezyrice

• The Nation
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2012, 02:33:42 PM »
Coming from a Japanese and Chinese background, my family takes tea very seriously. Tea all day, everyday. We drink more tea than anything else (including water). Every two hours or so, I have to change the tea leaves because the flavor is all gone from drinking too much.

But lately, it's hard to find good Japanese tea without being concerned about the radiation.

Food, cars, and yoyos

Faust

• The Nation
  • Tied up and ready to yo!
    • The Yoyologist
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2012, 07:04:49 AM »
Thanks doppelloop, I'll take that as a compliment. Truth is, I've always liked tasting things. As a kid I used to love experimenting in the kitchen and wanted to be a chef. Now I still love tasting things, but much prefer getting to the "heart" of a single ingredient. In alcohol terms - I'd rather have a $10 single malt than a $10 cocktail. I

must admit, tea makes my mind and body feel good, so I've been enjoying this taste exploration ;-)

The reason Lapsang is so smoky is that traditionally it was dried / cured over a pine wood fire. I've actually never tried it, which is why I was curious to what others thought of it. I do have a box waiting for me, I'll get onto it as soon as my Keemun is finished.

Very curious to try it, I have a soft spot for smoked things - wood cured bacon, peaty whisky, and, hopefully, Lapsang tea!

Clifford_Ball

• Also known as Todd
  • The Nation
    • My Yoyo Collection
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2012, 04:52:04 AM »
OK, finished my Dragonwell tea, it was great! Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am going to go to Teavana this weekend and pick up some Gyokuro tea which was also highly recommended here. My question is that there are two types on their website, which one do you guys recommend? Genmaicha or Imperial Gyokuro? Thanks!!

Todd
All my posts are 100% subjective and opinion based

IanPkmnYo

• V-Snick!
  • The Nation
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2012, 07:45:46 AM »
I use the imperial. :)

bensaddiction

• The End all be all of things that never were.
  • The Nation
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2012, 04:46:09 PM »
Def Imperial.

Clifford_Ball

• Also known as Todd
  • The Nation
    • My Yoyo Collection
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2012, 10:00:33 AM »
Tried the Gyukoro, decided I liked the Dragonwell better so I went back a few weeks ago and got some more of that. Any suggestions for a Black Tea? Just interested in branching out and getting some variety in there. I asked the salesperson at Teavana what other greens I should try and she said stick with the Dragonwell if I liked it better than that Gyukoro. If you have any suggestions for another good green I will check it out. Also if there are any blends that you guys enjoy lets hear about them :)

Thanks!!

Todd

bensaddiction

• The Nation
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2012, 10:39:04 AM »
I don't really drink black tea, I like sticking to my green. The only two I drink are the ones mentioned. Sorry I couldn't help but if you catch wind of anything let us know  O0

Faust

• The Nation
  • Tied up and ready to yo!
    • The Yoyologist
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2012, 11:50:12 PM »
I've really been enjoying Keemun. It's a Chinese black tea and quite "light". If you've been drinking green teas this might be a good transition to black.

The one I've been drinking has been very flavourful but quite light. Almost slightly woody (dry) and fruity. Good balance.

bensaddiction

• The Nation
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2012, 12:52:28 PM »
I've really been enjoying Keemun. It's a Chinese black tea and quite "light". If you've been drinking green teas this might be a good transition to black.

The one I've been drinking has been very flavourful but quite light. Almost slightly woody (dry) and fruity. Good balance.
I might have to try that.

Clifford_Ball

• Also known as Todd
  • The Nation
    • My Yoyo Collection
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2012, 04:22:47 AM »
I went to Teavana last Saturday and inquired about their black teas. I had done some research online and had narrowed it down to two varieties, Black Dragon Pearl and Keemun Capital of Heaven. When I spoke to the salesperson he was actually kind of rude and asked me why I wanted to drink black tea when I was already drinking the Dragonwell and Guyokuru. He seemed to be sort of snobbish about the blacks being lesser than the greens lol. Anyways, after talking for a bit I settled on Golden Monkey black tea which is excellent although it has MUCH more caffeine than I am used to lol I stayed away from the Black Dragon Pearls because the "pearls" were quite large and from what I had read it takes at least 4 pearls to brew a cup of tea and they can only be resteeped once. I dont mind spending extra for a nice tea but that would be extremely expensive to drink.

boywithcap

• The Nation
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2012, 04:12:06 AM »
I've been on dragonwell for a while now, but I might have to try some black tea too. 

Would be nice to have a non-coffee high caffeine alternative for those times when I'd like a bit of a kick.
Think I'll try that Golden Monkey.

Excaliborg

• The Nation
  • 1A->5A Everyday
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2012, 02:19:42 PM »
I have been building a collection of coffee making devices (espresso machine, french press, ibrik, chemex, single cup pourover...) and I recently picked up a book that has me interested in tea. http://www.amazon.com/The-World-Caffeine-Science-Culture/dp/0415927234

I am finding the stories of the origins of tea and coffee use in various parts of the world quite interesting and I will have to pick up a nice tea infuser to go with my coffee gear soon ;D. This thread has me excited to explore different types of tea, after focusing on coffee making methods over the last year or so (currently working through a Peruvian single origin dark roast).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:20:19 PM by Excaliborg »

Clifford_Ball

• Also known as Todd
  • The Nation
    • My Yoyo Collection
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2012, 10:10:12 AM »
Been enjoying the Golden Monkey alot. I still wanted to try the other varieties though so I picked up some "Silver Yin Zhen Pearls White Tea"

http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/white-teas/p/silver-yin-zhen-pearls-white-tea

a few weeks ago. I like it alot, its more mellow as far as the caffeine goes so I can drink it in the evening and still be able to fall asleep lol.

Last week I ordered some samples of Oolong from the Chicago Tea Garden. They will send you a sample (5-10 tsps full) of any of their teas for $3 with free shipping.

http://www.chicagoteagarden.com/buy/tea/oolong-tea

I got some Ben Shan, some Zealong Dark and some Tie Guan Jin. I like the Zealong Dark the best. I will probably try one of Teavanas Oolongs next.

Lastly, yesterday I finally bit the bullet and picked up one of Teavanas Yixing Travel Tea Tumblers

http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/tea-cups-mugs/travel-tea-cups/p/yixing-travel-tea-tumbler

I got the one with the Black Tea logo on it and brewed several cups of Golden Monkey in it this morning, what a great taste and I expect it will only get better with time. At $30 a pop I cant afford to get one for each tea type but I might get one for my Dragonwell :)