Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tea anyone?  (Read 4529 times)

bensaddiction

• The End all be all of things that never were.
  • The Nation
Tea anyone?
« on: December 23, 2011, 02:11:19 AM »
Does anyone else on here take their tea as seriously as I do?

I drink about 6-10 8oz cups a day. Usually either Dragonwell or when I'm feeling a bit rich I drink some Gyokuro.

Do tell, do you like tea?

Faust

• The Nation
  • Tied up and ready to yo!
    • The Yoyologist
Re: Tea anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 06:15:36 AM »
Naturally.

Bi Lo Chun and Ti Guan Yin are two of my favourites.

Jacob Deffenbaugh

• The Nation
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 09:36:56 AM »
Very much so!

I am exploring China and Shri Lanka black teas now.
If you have to ask, therein lies your answer.

TTThomas

• The Nation
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 10:26:08 AM »
I drink Adagio teas everyday at work. Usually I make a citrus green tea and ice it down for all day consumption.

bensaddiction

• The Nation
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 12:04:42 PM »
How do you take your tea?

I usually drink my Dragonwell with a bit of honey and lemon but I drink the Gyokuro straight because it tastes really good  ;D

jasonwongzero

• Anodizer
  • The Nation
  • www.loadedyoyos.com
    • www.loadedyoyos.com
Re: Re: Tea anyone?
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
I usually drink at least one cup per day.   Usually english breakfast of some sort, but occasionally PuEr.   Always with milk and sugar.

Faust

• The Nation
    • The Yoyologist
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 05:31:56 AM »
Just hot water (never boiling).

Badass

• Team anonYOmous
  • The Nation
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 10:44:25 AM »
Earl grey is the way to go

Faust

• The Nation
    • The Yoyologist
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 02:38:03 PM »
I used to love the flavour of Earl Grey, but these days I find myself wanting to taste things as naturally as possible. Just give me the leaf, man ;-)

bensaddiction

• The Nation
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 01:00:01 AM »
How do you guys go about making your cup?

(Dragonwell)
I bring my kettle to a boil and let it sit off the heat for about ten mins, scoop about a teaspoon and a half (I like it a bit strong) and put it into my infuser mug, add water, let it sit for about a min, take out the infuser, stir and add honey and lemon while theres still a cyclone in the cup, wait a few mins to cool and BAM! Now that a good cup of tea  O0

(Gyokuro)
Pretty much the same except I steep it for half the time and don't add honey or lemon, It tastes great with out it   ;D

Faust

• The Nation
    • The Yoyologist
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 09:25:21 PM »
Heat water, pour a little hot ater on tea leaves to wash and awaken the leaves, tip water off.

The first cup I steep for about 90 seconds so the water can penetrate the curled up leaf. The next two cups I usually steep for about a minute, and after that I increase the steep time as the flavour is drawn out.

Depending on the type, I usually get 4-6 cups from each batch of leaves. The flavours usually hit their peak at the 3rd cup. After that the delicate aromas tend to wane and the more robust flavours and tannins come to the fore.

cowmamba

• The Nation
  • ⬲☠◆☠◆☠◆☠⟴
    • Knox Ware
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 10:52:19 PM »
Most definitely. I love me a fine roobious, some honeybush (which is considered a roobious), anhui keemun, formosa pouchong, irish breakfast, black dragon pearls, yunnan noir,    I mostly like earthy teas, so I prefer blacks and roobious most. I do enjoy other herbals and will occasionally drink some whites and greens.

I cannot stand chai very much.

IanPkmnYo

• V-Snick!
  • The Nation
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 12:04:18 AM »
Oh man, oh man.  How did I not find this thread before? :)

I drink a cup or two of Gyokuro (no sugar/honey/whatever).  I steep it for about 45 seconds in water that just barely starts to bubble.  GREAT tea.   O0
When I don't have any Gyokuro laying around, I'll go for the best fruit-based tea (namely, citrus) that I have. 

Where do you guys buy your tea?  Recently, to my delight, a Teavana store opened up at the local mall.  It was a huge relief, because I'd been buying teas online, or traveling an hour or so to get to a tea store.  ;D

bensaddiction

• The Nation
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 12:23:01 AM »
Oh man, oh man.  How did I not find this thread before? :)

I drink a cup or two of Gyokuro (no sugar/honey/whatever).  I steep it for about 45 seconds in water that just barely starts to bubble.  GREAT tea.   O0
When I don't have any Gyokuro laying around, I'll go for the best fruit-based tea (namely, citrus) that I have. 

Where do you guys buy your tea?  Recently, to my delight, a Teavana store opened up at the local mall.  It was a huge relief, because I'd been buying teas online, or traveling an hour or so to get to a tea store.  ;D
I'm right there with you. I love me some Gyokuro, and I also used to buy online but was in the mall about a month ago doing some holiday shopping and came across Teavana and as much as I wanted to, in my head I dropped to my knees and cried. It was beautiful. 

IanPkmnYo

• V-Snick!
  • The Nation
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 12:33:26 AM »
Haha I sort of dislike going in.  The people there tend to become somewhat of "Car salesmen", except with tea sets. 
It usually goes like this for me:
ME--"Hello!  What would you recommend that has plenty of lemon flavor?"
HER--"Well, the Raspberry Riot Lemon Mate' is great.  BUT.  You haven't TRIED tea unless you make it in a cast iron tea pot."
ME--"How much is this set right here? *points at small cast iron tea pot with 4 cups/saucers*"
HER--"Why, that's one of my favorites!  I have one at home!  It's only $170 without the cups!"
ME--"Well, I only really wanted tea today, but thank you."
HER--"O.K.  But would you like to purchase a tin with your tea to keep it fresh?"
ME--"Sure!"
HER--*uses full scoops*
ME--"I just wanted 4oz!"
HER--"Oh!  Excuse me.  I was under the impression you wanted a full pound!"

And then, of course, they always add JUST A LITTLE too much, and ask "Oh, it's 4.75oz.  Is that O.K.?" And, I don't want to be that guy and make them put some back, so I'm just like, "...sure...". 

Teavana is great, but I always leave broke. XD

bensaddiction

• The Nation
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 01:01:40 AM »
Haha yea, thats how it went for me. I went in to get an infuser mug (best buy ever) and came out with a mug, 4 types of tea, a teaspoon, a tin to keep my tea in, and no more spending money. I think I'll be buying from their online store from now on. Its good tea, I just don't need the force worked on my weak mind every time I go in.

IanPkmnYo

• V-Snick!
  • The Nation
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 01:16:49 AM »
They're having some great sales online right now.  I'm really considering getting some Matcha.  Never tried it lol.

bensaddiction

• The Nation
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 01:31:41 AM »
They're having some great sales online right now.  I'm really considering getting some Matcha.  Never tried it lol.
I haven't either but it kind of weirds me out, I like my separation of tea (leaves) and tea (finished drink)

bensaddiction

• The Nation
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 01:34:05 AM »
this is what I'm drinking at the moment, one of the ones that jedi of a salesman got me to buy, its really good stuff though.

http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/green-teas/p/sakura-allure-green-tea

Faust

• The Nation
    • The Yoyologist
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 03:13:51 AM »
@ cowmamba - Rooibos (and Honeybush) are local shrubs that gro in the country where I live.

You are correct in that both are almost identical plants, Honeybush is just some type of subspecies. I find it best to put water and Rooibos in a pot on the stove, and slowly heat it to boiling. The plants grow in dry-ish areas and are quite hardy, so you don't get much flavour just by steeping. Green rooibos is one of my favourites. Incidentally - all rooibos worldwide comes from the same farm, obviously though it is sorted and graded, and certain brands get the better stuff, but in reality, it all comes from exactly the same place.