14 (20.6%)
Basic
12 (17.6%)
Fortran
3 (4.4%)
Other things...
21 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Programming!  (Read 3969 times)

Stewie410

• I can has Electronica?
  • The Nation
Re: Programming!
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2011, 12:13:06 AM »
Also, saw this game Notch made in 48hrs earlier today.  Basically its a 2D version of Minecraft.
After watching a few "highlight" videos of livestreams and such, I thought I would take a gander at a basic version of a game (pong) that was coded in java to see if I could apply it to my little project.  I'm pretty confused about Key Listeners and how to actually implement all of this stuff.  I mean, I could just copy the code in, but what's the point of that if I don't really comprehend what I'm doing?

Anyways, here's the game, if anyone wants to check it.  http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-22/?action=preview&uid=398
www.soundcloud.com/j_a_a_b

My BST:  http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php/topic,106221.msg1121234.html#msg1121234

For every deal that happens, there's 20 behind it that fall through.
It's probably some aluminum/unicorn horn alloy.

cubemaster21

• just another guy on this big ole forum.
  • The Nation
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 11:53:51 AM »
Is anyone here proficient enough in java to be able to help me out with a gaming project? I'm just starting out with java and i could really use the help.

Maybe he cant finish his shop assignment because his dog ate his Bridgeport.

TTThomas

• The Nation
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 12:39:41 PM »
Is anyone here proficient enough in java to be able to help me out with a gaming project? I'm just starting out with java and i could really use the help.

what sort of help are you looking for?

cubemaster21

• The Nation
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »

what sort of help are you looking for?
Any advice and possibly some work on the creation of an engine for the game.

Stewie410

• I can has Electronica?
  • The Nation
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2012, 02:36:40 PM »

This indeed would be handy.

My BST:  http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php/topic,106221.msg1121234.html#msg1121234

cubemaster21

• The Nation
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2012, 06:16:50 PM »

This indeed would be handy.
agreed. i'm just starting with java.

zls

• The Nation
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2012, 05:30:36 PM »
When you are powerful enough to create an engine, you won't need to ask us for advice.

Seriously though, you don't want to make an "engine". That's too hard. Make some one-off games to get practice. Then use a simple open source engine someone has already written. This will help: http://www.gamedev.net/

If you have specific questions about programming, shoot.

Stewie410

• I can has Electronica?
  • The Nation
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2012, 01:22:37 AM »
I want to start making games...although, its pretty difficult to write a game when you can hardly get computer access for five minutes a month.
Hooray psuedo code!

GunstarHero

• Chuck Cescon
  • The Nation
  • Throw it away
    • Tumblr (18+)
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2012, 11:43:08 AM »
So the past few weeks I've been messing with programming. I have a firm grasp on the concepts of SQL and recently started my venture into Java. I was surprised...sort of...to see how similar they were.

So far it's a blast..I honestly enjoy it. enough that I may change my concentration over from security to programming.

yoyophone

• The Nation
  • aka. SenZaM
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2012, 07:40:57 AM »
I know little to nothing about programmig, but I would like to start learning it early so I have better chances to get good at it and make it my job when I'm an adult (I'm 16 atm). Since I have to learn it all by myself and we have no computer lessons or whatever in school, pretty much the only thing I can use to learn is the internet, and maybe a few books. But how do you start? Since I know nothing about it yet, I don't know what language I should start learning either. The first things I would like to learn to program, are little games for the computer or Iphone apps (I know you need a mac for this), but what language is the most suitable for these uses?

Any other tips I should know?

I know this will take really long to learn and get good at which could take weeks, months or years, but I am really motivated and would really like to learn it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:42:04 AM by yoyophone »
 All yoyos have one thing in common... None come with 'tricks included' lolol..

GunstarHero

• Chuck Cescon
  • The Nation
  • Throw it away
    • Tumblr (18+)
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2012, 07:47:22 AM »
While I am just starting out...and can't answer how long it will take to get "good" at programming...I can offer some help.

Programming is something you have to utilize everyday in order to master it. It's like reading or writing; definitely takes some dedication.

I found www.codecademy.com to be an easy to understand way to get a taste of programming.

Instead of reading a lot of text and taking notes on the subject you actually get to write lines of code and see how they work. It's Java based.

yoyophone

• The Nation
  • aka. SenZaM
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2012, 10:46:43 AM »
Thanks again GunstarHero! This is a wonderfull site to start out and I learned a lot from it! Now I've finished all the courses on the site, so I have to look for more :P
 All yoyos have one thing in common... None come with 'tricks included' lolol..

GunstarHero

• Chuck Cescon
  • The Nation
  • Throw it away
    • Tumblr (18+)
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2012, 11:38:08 PM »
No problem. Im glad you found it useful, I know I did. I'm procrastinating.....but I'm going to instal the Java SDK on my Mac and "learn" hands on that way.

I think it would be helpful to undertake a beginner's level project.

cowmamba

• The Nation
  • ⬲☠◆☠◆☠◆☠⟴
    • Knox Ware
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2012, 11:39:25 PM »
I'm a little late to this discussion and I know it's a couple months old, but what the heck..

@ chuck, most of the time, now days anyway. You can code most common languages in OS X, Linux, and Windows. There are so many freaking IDE's out there now, it's nuts. Python even comes pre-installed by default in OS X and most common Linux distros, sometimes it is an optional install but it's included.

------

I have a bit of experience in php, sql, xhtml, objective-c, python, ruby, cocoa. I learned basic and pascal when i was a wee little snot and have dabbled in most languages since.  My biggest issue is that I'll start learning a language and get so far and then just kind of get distracted, then I'll pick up another language and repeat.  I grasp and understand it all but I do find it difficult to apply at times or to keep up with the changes.  I am finding myself trying to catch up to html5 now actually. I know it's not considered a programming language since it's just markup, but I've gotten so wrapped up in other things, I lost the time to keep up with the changes so now it's taking me a hell of a long time to get familiarized.

I've created a couple Mac apps here and there but the bulk of my work is online stuff.  It's cool to see other yoyoers into the same things :D

If you're looking for an alternative to code academy, there's also "code school" - they have some pretty nice interactive courses as well.  They have quite a few free ones to get started with.  http://www.codeschool.com I think that "learning by doing" can really help people better understand how programming works and how many languages share a lot of the same core principles and structures.   I know old-hats might frown by sites like this but man, when I was starting out when I was young we didn't have anything remotely like that.

Stewie410

• I can has Electronica?
  • The Nation
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 07:40:56 PM »
Sorry I haven't been able to contribute much at all over the past couple months...my laptop was...missing...and I just recently retrieved it.

I'm going to teach myself some C++ for fun.  Any pointers on which IDE you think is best?  I'm going to run Eclipse otherwise...

zls

• The Nation
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »
If you're serious about coding learn emacs or vim. Otherwise I think visual studio is the de facto standard for bloated C++ IDEs