4 (13.8%)
I thought it was decent
9 (31%)
I would rather not listen to it again
2 (6.9%)
I hated it
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Progressive Rock  (Read 3978 times)

zls

• The Nation
Re: Progressive Rock
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2012, 08:31:41 PM »
I was being facetious and haven't listened to much Tool. I gave it a cursory googling, and it looks like they're calling Tool "progressive metal", along with Opeth and all the other "we're doing metal inspired by prog rock" groups. Interesting.

As a practical matter, there's a need to distinguish between Yes-style music and Tool-style music, 'cause there's no correlation between liking Tool and liking Rush. (There's probably a negative correlation, even.) That's probably why they're being called prog metal.

But I see what you're saying. Many of the elements are the same, even if the sound is ultimately completely different.

JonasK

• Norwegian
  • The Nation
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 06:54:26 AM »
The moment one starts to delve into sub-genres, you might as well give each band a genre. Most good bands have their own unique sound, this is what makes them distinguishable. This goes for any genre. Sure you can say that Arvo Pärt makes minimalistic classical music like Philip Glass does, but it's pathetically easy to hear the difference. Most modern artists follow post-modernistic principals where genres aren't walls. Bands don't play genres, they play music. Arguing over genre definitions is never going to help any case whatsoever, because no matter what kind of stupid label you put on music, it will still sound the same.

I reccommend that people start going to small concerts with bands they have never heard of. Those bands play whatever the F they want, because no one expects anything from them. Popular bands have to play the same songs every concert, because that's what people expect from them. If you go to a concert not having any idea of what you are going to hear, you will likely be more open-minded about it.

zls

• The Nation
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 06:37:20 PM »
Reductio ad absurdum. Nice. Nice.

You don't have to think of every band as its own genre to see the (objectively) big differences between Tool/Opeth types and Yes/Rush types.

One can defensibly claim that Tool is technically prog rock because apparently they have what it takes: complex progressions, unusual instrumentation and song structure, nebulous lyrics, and a little bit of pretentiousness.

But that's not all that useful. Practically speaking, when people say "I like prog" they mean the ------- from the 60s and 70s. The aesthetic is totally different, and even if they're technically similar. My self-described "prog rock fan" friends would flip me off (or at least roll their eyes) if I came up to them all "you like Rush and Yes? How can you not like Opeth?? They're technically the same genre!!"

doppelloop

• The Nation
  • Here comes the fun police!
    • What's in my case?
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2012, 11:09:06 PM »
It is, in point of fact, a falsehood of monumental proportions to assume that progressive rock is limited to the 60's and the 70's.  It's a betrayal to all of us that write and perform non sequitur music currently.  What about Bill Bruford or Tony Levin in the 80's. The so called "second wave of progressive rock" ( Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree, LTE)  in the 90's... Even dream theatre.. Opeth's latest album Heritage is recorded principally on instruments and effects produced in the 70's.  It has that 70's "prog" sound complete with your Hammond organ and Leslie B2 rotating speakers.   Mars Volta doesn't have this sound.   but they are still progressive- more so, I might say than the Opeth of that Heritage album I described (the one with the legit aesthetic).   Phish.  Early phish is pretty damn progressive, not to mention post-modern (oops. too late), regardless of what genre they pretend.  When I think of that true vintage prog sound, I think gentle giant,  king crimson and Emerson Lake Palmer.. Rolling Stone called yes a pop band in the early 70's- they retaliated by releasing Relayer and then Tales from Topographic Oceans, arguably their densest (and most beloved by fans O0) albums.  Rush offended my own parents when I was young because of the "hard rock" overtones.  My dad, a professional musician , couldn't hear the difference between Geddy Lee and Axel Rose in context..  This is because, for all his musical training, he just doesn't like hard rock.  So he will never get that Rush is different from Guns n Roses...  Rush is a rock band first, with progressive mannerisms.  Pink Floyd is  a blues band first (David Gilmour's own words confirm this sentiment), with an expiremental bend.  Substitute the language of blues for that of metal and David Gilmour's strat for Michael Akerfeldt's PRS and you have opeth.   This is just my opinion of course, but it's all semantics anyway.  It's just an argument of aesthetics... opinio personalis ... As Strauss (Richard, not Johan) said, in an age where arguments over genre and style were seemingly more important than the music they defended:  "In the end there can be but two types of music:  Good and Bad".   So let's just all agree that evanescence is bad and go have a beer  ::cheers::

Help Dei Aemeth take over the world.  Support us on Facebook, and we'll come to your town and eat your face.  Check my website to see what's in my case.

Chainsawctopus

• The Nation
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2012, 12:28:16 AM »
So let's just all agree that evanescence is bad and go have a beer  ::cheers::
^ Right here ^

Have we talked in depth about how awesome Yes is yet? Either way, I'm just gonna gush about Yes for a second. Dude, Close to the Edge is kind of a perfect album for me (these are all opinions, don't take my word as gospel). But yeah, it is perfect. If you're patient enough, you might agree with me. I guess I'm talking about the song, Close to the Edge, for now. You see, this song is long, which usually doesn't sit well with general audiences, but it's long for a reason. It takes its time to get where it's going and that's exactly what it needs to be. I'll give some examples. The nature sounds at the beginning are there to set a calming mood so that when that loud, dissonant passage hits, it's more effective. And then that part builds tension so that it can be released and you'll appreciate the sort of main theme part more. Then they do something similar with the quiet voices part that just builds and builds and explodes in a giant pipe organ blast. And then they rock your face off some more and then smooooooooth it out and they leave you with those same nature sounds to bring you back to that quiet, calm place. It's just great writing and great performing. Perfect if you're asking me.

I think I had a point there, but then I lost it. Whatever. I guess now you know why I love Close to the Edge so much. I didn't even talk about the rest of the album. Oh well.

I want to hear you guys gush now! What prog band/album blows your mind? And why? Do it! 

doppelloop

• The Nation
  • Here comes the fun police!
    • What's in my case?
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2012, 01:11:33 AM »
Actually from the same album:   My favorite moment in all of yes is in the song "and you and i".  Ever since I first heard it and every time since, I grin a big ol' goofy grin.  This is probly the only band I know that makes me dance. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS0rGykUBFM#noexternalembed

starting minute 25:00

there's this whole new folkish song section, but rather than start together, it's just Jon accompanied by Steve Howe.  Jon Anderson's singing is strong and proud and momentarily when the chords shift to the diatonic minor, giving two measures of uncertainty,  Chris Squire answers right back with this great bass entrance which ,in turn, cues Bill Bruford on the drums, reaffirming the bright major tone.  He instantly changes the whole tone of this rather serious thing into something at once funky and laidback.  This entrance has remained the same in performance since the album.. It's just that classic...  This sets up this great groove with the drums (Bruford was and is my hero)  based on the previous chords that you may have thought were just transitional.  The uncertain passage returns later and is expanded, but that's later, and at the moment it's like all blue skies with big ol' fluffy clouds and sunflowers.  It's one of those great yes moments that makes you feel like "obviously it's all gonna work out for the best"

Oh, and all of Long Distance Runaround... saw them play that live and for 5 minutes I thought I was one of those teenage girls watching the beatles on the ed sullivan show.  Of course, I was a teenager at the time... 

Help Dei Aemeth take over the world.  Support us on Facebook, and we'll come to your town and eat your face.  Check my website to see what's in my case.

Chainsawctopus

• The Nation
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2012, 02:08:59 AM »
I totally agree with you about And You and I. And to strengthen your point, however simplified, I too get a big goofy grin once the 12 string guitar comes in really big. You know, after the bass goes bubububu bubu ping! Beautiful.

And Long Distance Runaround is great to groove to. Cool thing about that song are the snare hits. The song in in 4/4, but Bruford hits the snare every 5 beats. I think that's neat.

Fardel

• The Nation
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 10:42:52 AM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_6Dybf024A[/youtube]

progressive?! what genres before it he lay, the night sky like his earth, never to bee seen...

Puffpwn

• PM me if you have Titanium and want it anodized
  • The Nation
  • Epic g5...
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 10:59:54 AM »
"The Fish" on Fragile is one of my favorite bass pieces. it is in 7/8 I believe, one of the only songs I know in true 7 meter.
Quote from: anonymous
\"Or maybe we are each others dads.\"

I am a titanium anodizer, PM me.

JoshTheCash

• The Nation
  • On Deck.
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 10:39:44 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIRzPSrdP_s&feature=related[/youtube]

uh.. I'll just leave this here.
Vox

Puffpwn

• The Nation
  • Epic g5...
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »
Wow... That really killed the discussion...

icebliink

• The Nation
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2012, 08:32:16 PM »
haha I liked the song he posted! I think everyone already named most of their favorites so the discussion just kind of died.

Puffpwn

• The Nation
  • Epic g5...
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2012, 12:49:05 PM »
Lets hear about your favorite Yes song from everyone!

Puffpwn

• The Nation
  • Epic g5...
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
[youtube]3kTentrFO7Q[/youtube]

I am glad that sottle told me about this.

JoshTheCash

• The Nation
  • On Deck.
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2012, 09:54:56 PM »
lols i love Chon their drummer was in 13 when they recorded that...

you mad? ::happycry::

BASSSSSSED GOD
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:59:07 PM by JoshTheCash »
Vox

Puffpwn

• The Nation
  • Epic g5...
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2012, 05:37:40 PM »
NEW GROUP!!!
[youtube]jFa7IjeArXg[/youtube]