4 (13.8%)
I thought it was decent
9 (31%)
I would rather not listen to it again
2 (6.9%)
I hated it
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Progressive Rock  (Read 3724 times)

Mr Some1

• The Nation
Re: Progressive Rock
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 08:28:45 PM »
Just dug my yes Lps tonight after reading this thread. Along with a kansas record. I don't know if Kansas would be considered prog. But they are definitely awesome.
I don't always hit my yoyos, but when I do, I hit them on concrete.

OD, General Yo, VsNYYC

Chainsawctopus

• The Nation
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 03:11:50 PM »
Dudes, I love Prog and I love this thread. Yes is my favorite band ever. I also love King Crimson, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Rush, Dream Theater, Tool, The Mars Volta, The Liquid Tension Experiment, Transatlantic etc. etc.

I think you all will enjoy this video of me. Yes T-shrit? Check. Rush song? Check. Yoyo trick? Well, you know it's alright I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Es4LYyRkr4#noexternalembed&feature=plcp&context=C28251UDOEgsToPDskJoSbsN2X7mGPc03iyaLAIQ

Puffpwn

• PM me if you have Titanium and want it anodized
  • The Nation
  • Epic g5...
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 06:21:52 PM »
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:23:01 PM by Puffpwn »
Quote from: anonymous
\"Or maybe we are each others dads.\"

I am a titanium anodizer, PM me.

icebliink

• The Nation
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 10:56:42 PM »
Tool and The Mars Volta are both amazing, TMV kinda sucks live though unfortunately...

Chainsawctopus

• The Nation
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 02:50:20 AM »
You must have seen a bad show or something. The Mars Volta were awesome when I saw them.

icebliink

• The Nation
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
When I saw them they played five songs, a 45 minute set, and the only identifiable song was goliath and they played it at like half the speed they normally do. I've been a big fan of theirs for years, but it was pretty bad. I really wish I could've seen them back when Pridgen or Theodore were on drums.

doppelloop

• The Nation
  • Here comes the fun police!
    • What's in my case?
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 06:18:04 PM »
Yah, I saw them live years ago in WA and they killed.  But that was back in the Deloused days...

Help Dei Aemeth take over the world.  Support us on Facebook, and we'll come to your town and eat your face.  Check my website to see what's in my case.

Chainsawctopus

• The Nation
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »
That's too bad, icebliink. I saw them with Pridgen so that might have had something to do with our different experiences.

Japhle

• Sam.Brandt
  • The Nation
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2011, 11:52:38 PM »
Oh my gods!
I just came to the nyyr section to make a topic about this stuff,

Godspeed You! Black Emperor has been #1 on my list for a few months, and admittedly I pirate my music, but I have bought some of their CDs (F#A#∞, and Yanqui U.X.O, btw the ∞ is you press Alt, then type 236 and release the Alt Key) and GY!BE kind of is more post-rock( haha idk the difference, if any.) it's just really good music either way.

A recent find for me is The Protomen, they start out progressive rock then become a bit more like a rock opera in the second act, it follows the storyline of megaman, adding in elements relating to revolution. I will be buying their CDs next time I order things. (or their vinyl if I can find it.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGvqMXYhYhU#noexternalembed

King Crimson is very enjoyable, epitaph was what got me into it, I honestly did not expect that to be from '69.

And another CD I have been listening to lately (and have also bought) is Giles Corey, don't think this fits here, but it's really enjoyable, and has the same bleak depressing sound that has drawn me into many of these artists. It's made by the same guy that did Have a Nice Life, which is also really good.

edit: well now, maybe I should just stick to keeping my mouth shut, I think I prefer post-rock, most of these artists posted here didn't do anything for me, now that I've gone through the topic
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 11:57:12 PM by Japhle »

icebliink

• The Nation
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 12:35:57 AM »
Dat experimental rock

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adV8-_hgL4g[/youtube]

AgentKuo

• The Nation
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 12:37:58 PM »
I didn't realize how much I liked Prog until I read this thread.
[youtube]Frd9tjA1qCs[/youtube]

Also, to OP: Roundabout is one of my favorite songs to play in Rock Band.

Puffpwn

• The Nation
  • Epic g5...
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 05:22:42 PM »
[youtube]6z8_45duq6A[/youtube]

Best. Ever.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 05:26:02 PM by Puffpwn »

Chainsawctopus

• The Nation
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2011, 03:18:13 AM »
I really love Yes. I think all of you will really like this, too. Dream Theater covering a Rush song! Listen carefully to the last couple seconds and you'll hear something familiar and wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI04qsXJgh0#noexternalembed

stephosh

• The Nation
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
When I saw them they played five songs, a 45 minute set, and the only identifiable song was goliath and they played it at like half the speed they normally do. I've been a big fan of theirs for years, but it was pretty bad. I really wish I could've seen them back when Pridgen or Theodore were on drums.

I saw them right when they got together at a tiny club in San Francisco called The Bottom Of The Hill.

Jon Theodore is the best drummer i've ever seen!!!

JAX%^

• Super­cali­fragi­listic­expi­ali­docious
  • The Nation
  • JYOYO Owner and Creator
    • JYOYO
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2011, 02:10:21 AM »
Last year I had to miss a tool concert for family pics :(
I enjoyed a poptart, but instantly regretted eating the whole box.

Monkey Grinder

• The Nation
  • No monkeys harmed in the making of my username
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
Seen Rush and Dream Theater live. After those two shows I pretty much have to scale back my expectations for every other concert I ever go to

Matt Eastwood
5th Place Minnesota States 1A
9th Place Midwest Regionals 1A

doppelloop

• The Nation
  • Here comes the fun police!
    • What's in my case?
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2011, 01:15:25 AM »
Of the first 3 big shows I went to, Rush and Yes were #s 2 and 3 ... Pretty much ruined my concert-going adolescence.  Rush played for like 4 and a half hours- and 2112.  All of it.   In fact, Every show I've been to since I find myself saying "yes, but did they play for four and a half hours?"

Help Dei Aemeth take over the world.  Support us on Facebook, and we'll come to your town and eat your face.  Check my website to see what's in my case.

zls

• The Nation
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »
Godspeed You! Black Emperor? Opeth? Tool? Have I been gravely mistaken about the definition of "prog rock" all my life?

GY!BE is "post rock", a well defined (but poorly named) genre characterized by minimal vocals, long pieces, and intricate composition. I love this ------- - I am going to see them in april - but they're not prog at all.

Prog rock also has those long compositions that often abandon traditional song structure, but it also has lyrics, often with abstract philosophical meanings. Often uses classical instruments. Yes and Rush for sure, also Pink Floyd, maybe some Queen.

opeth and tool are garbage. Just kidding! That's a matter of opinion. In my opinion (which is correct), opeth and tool are garbage.

I'm thinking about buying a Rickenbacker to get that grungy prog sound. Chris Squire and Geddy Lee both play brilliantly - their stuff is challenging, intricate, and fun. I wish I was good enough at playing with a pick to do Heart of the Sunrise. Their version America is probably my favorite though.

Puffpwn

• The Nation
  • Epic g5...
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2012, 05:51:19 PM »
Godspeed You! Black Emperor? Opeth? Tool? Have I been gravely mistaken about the definition of "prog rock" all my life?

GY!BE is "post rock", a well defined (but poorly named) genre characterized by minimal vocals, long pieces, and intricate composition. I love this ------- - I am going to see them in april - but they're not prog at all.

Prog rock also has those long compositions that often abandon traditional song structure, but it also has lyrics, often with abstract philosophical meanings. Often uses classical instruments. Yes and Rush for sure, also Pink Floyd, maybe some Queen.

opeth and tool are garbage. Just kidding! That's a matter of opinion. In my opinion (which is correct), opeth and tool are garbage.

I'm thinking about buying a Rickenbacker to get that grungy prog sound. Chris Squire and Geddy Lee both play brilliantly - their stuff is challenging, intricate, and fun. I wish I was good enough at playing with a pick to do Heart of the Sunrise. Their version America is probably my favorite though.

Legit statement. I do not find Tool or Opeth to be prog at all. Good for most of todays music (Lateralus at least), but definitely not prog.

hcjesse

• Jesse Christe
  • The Nation
  • VsNYYC
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2012, 06:39:15 PM »

You can't have lyrics that are more saturated with abstract philosophical meanings than Tool's lyrics. And if Tool isn't progressive rock, I can't possibly fathom how another band could be?! Tell me, how does Tool not play progressive? I really am curious. And if they aren't progressive, enlighten me to what genre they are; even their wikipedia page lists them as progressive rock...

Your opinion is garbage, (in my opinion of course).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPDpXjqkO6U&feature=related[/youtube]

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:42:20 PM by hcjesse »
Team Vs. Newton

Official suicide world record holder---56