Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: CLYW Canvas Review  (Read 1994 times)

norman222

• The Nation
CLYW Canvas Review
« on: October 18, 2011, 07:41:15 PM »
Hi yoyoers, today I will be taking Jensen Kimmitt's (former) Signature throw, the Canvas out to review. I have had it for about 3 weeks and i decided that i have seen enough to give my verdict on the throw

For some of you that does not know, Jensen has already left team CLYW (thus I added the word 'former') but Chris said that the Canvas will still be produced.
The Canvas was one of the more hyped CLYW throws, but also rather controversial when it comes to justifying the price. In this review, I will be adressing the main issue with the canvas-- the price. with that said, lets begin the review!

Diameter: 2.150in
Width: 1.625in
Weight: 66g

The Canvas came in a standard CLYW cardboard box with the top stamped  with the two hurdlers--donut and longjohn, and the back with Jensen Kimmitt's signature. Upon opening the box, I was greeted with a pleasant surprise, instead if the cardboard filling in the box, the Canvas came with a red and black plaid piece of cloth. I think this is a really neat touch by CLYW as it adds that little bit flare to the yoyo, so kudos to CLYW O0
But the thing that really strikes me is the FANTASTIC colourway! Green with clear wash topped with with red speckles.mmmmm Makes you hungry doesn't it? lol. than you will start to notice the longjohn hurdler engraved onto on side of the yoyo. The detain on the hurdler is quite amazing too, I could not fine any imperfections or mistakes ;D

The design of the canvas is quite a basic butterfly shape and you're left to ask " Since its so simple, woudn't it play not as good as modern shaped jap yoyo" That you will have to test for yourself. What I can say is that it's not all that basic, when you unscrew the yoyo, you will notice a 'v' groove cut into the yoyo just before the response. What is this for?? Well, refering to the pic below, you can see that only the side closer to the response will come into contact with the string. And i quote from CaribouBlog
separate the ‘high wall’ from the ‘low wall’ to minimize string friction so that only the ‘low wall’ touches the string and to also remove center weight.
Is it necessary? Yes, that is what makes this yoyo special, not just any butterfly-shaped yoyo, but one with a pinch of modernity.

The canvas comes with a standard CLYW 8-ball bearing but instead of silicon, it comes with the custom modern yoyoing K-pads (the other colours of the canvas comes with snow tires) The K-pads work great out of the box but to unleash its true potential, play with it for about 6hs to break them in.

The Canvas out of the box is dead smooth! It cuts through the air like a hot knife through butter. The canvas has a good amount of float does not feel very solid, thus on a throw if feels more like a 64g. The canvas is quite a decent grinder, in hand, the bead blast just feels silky, it also comes with a irg groove so thumb grinds are also possible. When it comes to horinzontals, this is not the yoyo of choice. Not saying its impossible, its just hard to pull off because the shape of the yoyo will cause the yoyo to want to return vertical. The canvas has no sharp edges thus when binding this yoyo, you wont have to worry about getting hit by a 90 degree angle lol.

Want to know what a canvas can pull off, watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hlA1fR5wwU#noexternalembed

With all that said, lets answer the burning question, is it worth that $150 price tag? My answer is yes, but i would have preferred it to be $5-10 cheaper. But I would be willing to pay $150.Why because you have to understand the work that Chris does to provide the community with throws like this, the boxes are hand assembles and stamped, spending time thinking of colourways that are irrisistable and the play of the canvas is just sooooo good. At the end or the day, its your call whether its worth it or not but i have made my point. I feel CLYW have really made a fantastic throw, the price might be a set back but the play is what you call premium.

Thanks for reading,
Norman

LinksLegionaire

• «Kylε Niтгo 7hoмαsoп»
  • The Nation
  • A child's toy, an adult's escape.
Re: CLYW Canvas Review
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 05:17:11 AM »
Good review. I didn't know that the Hurdlers used K-pads! Are they custom ones that were made to fit the Canvases? As in, can you still install Snow Tires?

I plan on picking one up in the second run. So long as they have better colorways than the 1st run.
The earth spins at over 1000 mph. If you didn't fall off today, quit whining.

norman222

• The Nation
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 06:41:14 AM »
Good review. I didn't know that the Hurdlers used K-pads! Are they custom ones that were made to fit the Canvases? As in, can you still install Snow Tires?

I plan on picking one up in the second run. So long as they have better colorways than the 1st run.

yes they are made to fit any clyw (all clyw response size are the same) but i dont think they are avalible anymore.  :'(

LinksLegionaire

• «Kylε Niтгo 7hoмαsoп»
  • The Nation
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:58:55 AM »

Ok that's what I thought. I was thinking typical white K pads...
yes they are made to fit any clyw (all clyw response size are the same) but i dont think they are avalible anymore.  :'(

norman222

• The Nation
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 04:49:27 PM »
gut shot

LinksLegionaire

• «Kylε Niтгo 7hoмαsoп»
  • The Nation
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 06:05:01 PM »